HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group D • 05/10/10 • United States 1, Denmark 2 (OT)

View Poll Results: Which pair will combine for more points in this game?
Frans Nielsen & Kyle Okposo 16 45.71%
Nick Foligno & Peter Regin 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Ilyeu

vCash: 500
Denmark 2 straight World Championships from here on out, I called it.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
You could say he cashed in tonight.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Bäckman to the NHL.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:46 AM
talenttracer

Denmark 2 straight World Championships from here on out, I called it.

I settel for one

Old
05-10-2010, 11:47 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
I guess they're missing Patrick Kane ... oh wait he's busy carving up Roberto Luongo
To be fair, Vancouver got Hansen and taken Denmark's depth Hansen is like 1000% more important to Denmark than Kane is for USA; besides Kane is not having a really good series.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
To be fair, Vancouver got Hansen and taken Denmark's depth Hansen is like 1000% more important to Denmark than Kane is for USA; besides Kane is not having a really good series.
We're missing our # 1 defenseman, # 1 scorer & # 1 goalie ... tell me that the Americans don't give two ***** about the WC in an Olympic Year

Old
05-10-2010, 11:49 AM
DanishRangersFan

vCash: 558
Send a message via MSN to DanishRangersFan
This is just sooooooooo amazing!!!!! This is huge for danish hockey

Old
05-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Dr Despair

Absolutely incredible, Denmark.

Hockey is a Nordic Game.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:53 AM
KRM

Anyone have a Youtube of the Eller goal?

Edit: Nevermind, here it is. Better quality would be nice though.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:53 AM
klikkar

Grats to Denmark, left work after first period to find out this after i arrived home, pleasant surprise

Old
05-10-2010, 11:56 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
We're missing our # 1 defenseman, # 1 scorer & # 1 goalie ... tell me that the Americans don't give two ***** about the WC in an Olympic Year
Well, seriously... As stated before Denmark's squad isn't even all professionals. USA missing #1 Scorer, goalie etc should mean nothing vs Denmark considering the depth of USA.

Sure, perhaps WC means little to Americans, they have never cared much about WC. It is also irrelevant, winning matters though.

Sweden lacks like #1-12 in scoring; # 1-8 on D and # 1-2 in goalies, but that is no excuse if they suck in the tournament.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:57 AM
KesselySnipes

What the hell just happened here... Seriously.

Props to Denmark for the win. I haven't been able to catch a game yet but the fact that they beat the US and Finland back to back is really surprising. They're obviously doing something right so it's definitely no fluke.

I feel bad for the US though. They're missing some really key players right now for whatever reason and it's holding them back. Two of Parise, Ryan, Stasny, Martin, Rafalski and Kessel need to get their ***** over there. Even though it's only the WC getting relegated is the last thing they'd want to happen. Hopefully they can turn it around against Finland but then again, I don't want to see them get relegated either.

What a strange turn of events.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Siberian

The thing is it wasn't a fluke. I have seen flukes but this wasn't one of them. Denmark played a good methological game and never seemed as an inferior team to US as it usually happens. They were winning the one on one battles, races, showed great passing and skills. This was not a fluke. If the rest of European countries progressed as much as Danes did in the last decade hockey in Europe would have been so much better.

Old
05-10-2010, 11:58 AM
FreakyEuro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
It's funny because it's absolutelly the other way around. Kane is out of place in this series as the Chicago bests Vancouver in garbage hardnosed hockey in front of Luongo. Vancouver didn't seem to have answer for guys like Byfuglien, Ladd, Bolland in games 2,3 and 4. Kane is a great player and it's fair to say that his presence on the team would have much bigger impact on the US than Hansen's presence for the Danes. Hansen is a 24 years old journeyman winger who in his best season scored 21 pts. Kane is a NHL superstar who scored 88pts at the 21 years of age (72pts in his first season as 19 years old). It's not even comparable.

This Danish team did perfectly well even without Hansen, in fact they don't need him at this point. Kane would be a heck of the boost for the US on the contrary.

Old
05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Anyone have a Youtube of the Eller goal?

Edit: Nevermind, here it is. Better quality would be nice though.
Good lord. What a beauty. I'll never forget the first Blues prospect camp that Eller participated in. He took one of the most heavy, gorgeous, perfectly placed one-time, under the bar shots that I had ever seen. The goalie didn't even move. He's got an incredible shot.

Old
05-10-2010, 12:01 PM
mattihp

Quote:
It really doesn't matter when both Finland's and the USAs 10th, 11th choices at any position except centre should be leaps and bounds better than the danish 1st and 2nd choices.

Old
05-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I can appreciate the Danish victory here, but even with *this* roster the U.S. should be scoring more goals. It's a young team, but it's not all plumbers. Besides, there are some very good offensive defensemen on this squad. If Montreal loses, I hope Gomez and Gionta answer the call. Finland's a must win-correct?

Old
05-10-2010, 12:04 PM
hs86183

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidotevsk View Post
I'll cheer for Denmark from by now )))))
Except the game vs. Russia!!!
Yes, the same for me, except wednesday vs. Germany

I can't understand why players like Kessel, Parise, Ryan, Langenbrunner, Connolly, Brown, Umberger, Stempniak, Myers, Backes, Miller, Quick, Anderson, Conklin, etc. won't play for their NATIONAL team...

Old
05-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by hs86183 View Post

I can't understand why players like Kessel, Parise, Ryan, Langenbrunner, Connolly, Brown, Umberger, Stempniak, Myers, Backes, Miller, Quick, Anderson, Conklin, etc. won't play for their NATIONAL team...
I think Kessel has an upper body injury.

I can understand the players on the Olympic team passing on this tournament.....understand but don't agree.

What Myers are you talking about?

Last edited by 2525: 05-10-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: fixed a boo boo
Old
05-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I can appreciate the Danish victory here, but even with *this* roster the U.S. should be scoring more goals. It's a young team, but it's not all plumbers. Besides, there are some very good offensive defensemen on this squad. If Montreal loses, I hope Gomez and Gionta answer the call. Finland's a must win-correct?
Not that simple. While a regulation loss would send the USA to the relegation round, an OT loss versus Finland combined with Germany losing to Finland and Denmark in regulation would squeak the US through to the next round.

Group D
SeedCountryW3W2L1L0GoalsPoints
111006-25
201002-12
300202-42
400011-40

Old
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
The thing is it wasn't a fluke. I have seen flukes but this wasn't one of them. Denmark played a good methological game and never seemed as an inferior team to US as it usually happens. They were winning the one on one battles, races, showed great passing and skills. This was not a fluke. If the rest of European countries progressed as much as Danes did in the last decade hockey in Europe would have been so much better.
Excactly! 2003 was huge because we beat USA and tied Canada. But back then it was luck (and amazing goaltending). USA outshot us by 50-8 or something. This time is bigger because we actually deserved both wins. We were the better team.

Old
Ilyeu

I don't really understand what the complaints are about. The only team that sent most of it's best is Russia. Canada always sends a not so quite good team ever year with the exception in the Lockout and in 2008 and we still manage to win and get to the finals. You didn't see the Swedes complaining when they won the tournament in the last Olympic year sending one of their worst teams ever. You didn't see Canada complain with the "horrible lineup" the following year. Some people think they're entitled to wins in this tournament. I've been watching this tournament since I was very small, it's better than World Cup of Hockey in my opinion and offers more competition. The Americans lost even with some of their best younger prospects. Maybe they just aren't that good as many people give them credit for or perhaps the Danes were better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs86183 View Post

If you read the team thread notes the reasons are listed. Most NHL players are injured, tired, weddings, births, contracts to think about.
An Olympic year makes it harder with those with nagging injuries.

Old
05-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan001 View Post
I think Kessel has an upper body injury.

I can understand the players on the Olympic team passes on this tournament.....understand but don't agree.

What Myers are you talking about?
Freddy Myers the VIII.

Old
05-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post
I don't really understand what the complaints are about. The only team that sent most of it's best is Russia. Canada always sends not so quite good team year and we still manage to win and get to the finals. You didn't see the Swedes complaining when they won the tournament in the last Olympic year. You didn't see Canada complain with the "horrible lineup" the following year. Some people think they're entitled to wins in this tournament. I've been watching this tournament since I was very small, it's better than World Cup of Hockey in my opinion and offers more competition. The American lost even with some of their best prospects. Maybe they just aren't that good as many people give them credit for or perhaps the Danes were better.

If you read the team thread notes the reasons are listed. Most NHL players are injured, tired, weddings, births, contracts to think about.
An Olympic year makes it harder with those with nagging injuries.
Best prospects? This isn't even close to a legit collection of the best young U.S. talent. There's some good players, but they clearly aren't gelling/producing in this tourney. It happens. Give credit to the opposition and take your lumps.

Old
05-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Freddy Myers the VIII.
My hero Michael Myers

Closed Thread