HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group D • 05/10/10 • United States 1, Denmark 2 (OT)

View Poll Results: Which pair will combine for more points in this game?
Frans Nielsen & Kyle Okposo 16 45.71%
Nick Foligno & Peter Regin 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Crazyhorse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
So it's not SO big in Canada and USA.

And it's the same story in Sweden when it comes to the players and many supporters.

Who is Sweden's biggest star ?, Weinhandl, I dunno. There isn't 1 guy on the team that really stands out as the star. If Sweden loses to Czech on thursday I can promise that I won't let the Czech fans know that "since Zetterberg, Lidström & co aren't playing, this loss means nothing".

It's funny how some people say that the result didn't matter, no interest in my country etc. when the game is over and their team lost. You rarely hear about it when ones team is winning. If a game is so meaningless then why waste time watching the game.
I agree with this 100%. If Sweden sent a SEL-only team to play against like, a stacked Canadian NHL-team, i would still be upset if they lost. Sure it would be easy to rationalize it all away when all our best players weren't there to compete with them, but hockey is hockey, i love the game and you always wan't your team to win. It's getting old hearing about all the complainers who, it seems, still follow the tournament even when they constantly say that they don't.

Old
05-11-2010, 12:09 AM
ronnyweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post
TSN takes down the US article of this loss to Denmark. USA hockey facebook hasn't updated any of the results. It's just like the amped coverage of the U18 for Canada, and then suddenly everything goes silent.
so U18 is the same as mens championships somehow?

undrafted players vs NHL players.... one is actually headline worthy

Old
05-11-2010, 02:59 AM
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael99 View Post
Let me take you down memmory lane.

Denmark wins 5-2 in 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjgNX9BZoTc

and in 2010 Denmark wins 2-1
http://tv2sport.dk/node/55226

http://tv2sport.dk/node/55232

I like that the danes are so happy. Good for hockey to see new emerging hockey nations make some upsets.
if i recall correctly Denmark also tied Canada that year... Canada went on to win and the only game they didn't win was against Denmark... I am still so happy for them...

Go Denmark!!! I am a huge USA fan and go for them in every tourny but I am so excited Denmark pulled this off...

Old
05-11-2010, 04:34 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

If I was an American I might also down play this one some. It is an Olympic year and there's just no other time where the WC has as low a priority as in those years.

BUT - from a Danish perspective.... a bunch of talents and no-names in NHL terms beat a comparatively star studded NHL roster. All is gravy.

Old
05-11-2010, 05:11 AM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
I think everybody should stop whining, and give a ton more credit to team Denmark. Yes, team USA doesn't have the best players available, nothing new here. Denmark lacks Bødker and Hansen too. It's equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
If I was an American I might also down play this one some. It is an Olympic year and there's just no other time where the WC has as low a priority as in those years.

BUT - from a Danish perspective.... a bunch of talents and no-names in NHL terms beat a comparatively star studded NHL roster. All is gravy.
Regin and Nielsen no-name NHL players? Aha, didn't knew that.

Old
05-11-2010, 05:54 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post

Not so far from it... Nielsen probably never will get more than 45 points in the NHL and the reason people remember him from the NHL is not because of his talent, but that he is danish and not an awful ice hockey player.

Regin will probably be a top 30 center in the league one day, but he has a long path to walk before it happens.

Old
05-11-2010, 06:27 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Exactly, the World Juniors is a much bigger deal than the World Championships!

If the Worlds were after the Stanley Cup playoffs and it was truly a best of the best tournament then it would be a bigger deal to North Americans. However, there is little in hockey as exciting as the World Juniors.
Fewer tournaments are further from a best on best tournament as the world juniors though, which is largely uninteresting to the european public who would rather see better hockey.

Old
05-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Not so far from it... Nielsen probably never will get more than 45 points in the NHL and the reason people remember him from the NHL is not because of his talent, but that he is danish and not an awful ice hockey player.
That's nonsense. Frans Nielsen is a brilliant defensive 3rd line center, IMO very similar to Valtteri Filppula.

Old
05-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Brun0

Quote:
That's nonsense. Frans Nielsen is a brilliant defensive 3rd line center, IMO very similar to Valtteri Filppula.
Filppula is a secondliner atleast in red wings( a bit deeper team than islanders too). Filppula is better offensivly being on a 60 pace this season. Also a very solid point collector in play-offs.

I dont find any similarities in their game either. Fil is very fast and storng on puck who usually looks for pass before shooting.

Old
05-11-2010, 08:42 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Brilliant is a big overstatement. There are lots of players of Nielsens quality.

Filppula is more of a playmaking second line center.

Old
05-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
I think everybody should stop whining, and give a ton more credit to team Denmark. Yes, team USA doesn't have the best players available, nothing new here. Denmark lacks Bødker and Hansen too. It's equal.
Come now.... Bødker is in the AHL and Hansen is a 4th line grinder. The extent to which the US can top up its lineup is obviously light years away from what we can do. But again - as I said - the US team is still brimming with genuine NHL talent. We don't have that , and it is a great accomplishment regardless.

Quote:
Regin had a great playoff series for Ottawa, and who knows - maybe it was his breakout as a top6 player. But in NHL terms before that he was a no-name player. Frans Nielsen is a very good third line center, but third line centers are... obviously... dime a dozen when we talk about elite players.

Old
05-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

dont turn this into usa vs. canada wtf...

just because we didnt send our best players or whatever there is still a matter of pride... maybe us as fans dont put as much stock into the tourny as some others...

but if you are telling me that all those players on team USA arent out there trying their best because they think its a lesser tournament... a ton of these guys are trying to put themselves on team usa's radar for Sochi and playing crappy in this tournament isnt going to help any of them in the future...

and like someone else said even though usa isnt as strong as it could, but tit for tat they are stronger in most aspects of the game and player for player...

Closed Thread