HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Conferences Play Musical Chairs (Boise stays in MWC)

Old
06-12-2010, 01:40 PM
invictus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Yeah, I do agree on the Pac 10 waiting if A&M bails, which is why I think they gave them a 3 day ultimatum. They basically have to decide on Monday because from the reports from the sources that have been breaking all of this, the Big 12 Foursome is going to announce on Tuesday they move to the Pac 10. Either A&M goes then or doesn't go at all.

Kansas is intriguing, especially with their basketball program. What's the media market comparison between Salt Lake and Lawrence? Is there a drastic difference? Utah is certainly intriguing as well though. Strong academics, strong football. If A&M does bail, I agree that it would be down to those two schools. No one else really makes sense that I can think of.
Well, Lawrence has around 100,000 people (not counting any students, though when school is in session there are around 30,000 more people here) and Salt Lake has around 180,000. But, I have no idea what the loyalty split between BYU/Utah there is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Getting Kansas doesn't get you only Lawrence, it gets you KC and places like Topeka and Wichita and such. Not big markets, but they add up.
It's actually somewhat surprising, once you get west of Topeka, this state is all K-State. There seems to be a dislike for the "liberal" school by all the country kids. But, yeah, KC and Topeka and everything up around here is pretty solidly Jayhawk country. Wichita is sorta split, but lots of people there are alumnis of Wichita State, so it always seem to me it is a lot of bandwagon fans.

TAMU, go SEC! Please, haha. If that happens, it will be interesting to see what the Pac-10 wants to do. Though, there is a LOT of chatter here in-state that KU/KSU need to be a package deal. I hope that isn't true because I think it would really drag KU down.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 04:51 PM
William H Bonney

Mountain West may pursue Kansas and Missouri.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5279018

06-12-2010, 05:05 PM
vwg*

Quote:
Mountain West may pursue Kansas and Missouri.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5279018
They would be crazy not to. Those two would instantly become two of their best teams. Boise State, Utah, Kansas, Missouri, TCU, BYU, Air Force would be a damn good conference. Kansas would annihilate the conference in basketball though, at least until all the great b-ball players don't want to go there anymore. For that reason I'm not sure if they would go to MWC but they might have not have much of a choice.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:10 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
They would be crazy not to. Those two would instantly become two of their best teams. Boise State, Utah, Kansas, Missouri, TCU, BYU, Air Force would be a damn good conference. Kansas would annihilate the conference in basketball though, at least until all the great b-ball players don't want to go there anymore. For that reason I'm not sure if they would go to MWC but they might have not have much of a choice.
Only other option would be the Big East... if that's not annihilated by the Big 10, ACC and SEC. And that's entirely up in the air at this point, a lot depends on what Notre Dame does and if the SEC goes after any ACC schools.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Iowa State should go to the MAC

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:31 PM
vwg*

Quote:
Iowa State should go to the MAC
They would fit in well there and could be a realistic possibly. Who would be the other team though? Cincinnati or Louisville if they don't get raided by the ACC? Ahh **** it, it's impossible trying to guess.

Old
06-12-2010, 05:59 PM
invictus

No link, but on a local news update, they said there is a rumor that KU officials are in "Texas or Oklahoma" meeting with the Pac-10 crew trying to get TAMU's spot since A&M is dragging their feet. No idea on the veracity of this.

Old
06-12-2010, 06:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
They would fit in well there and could be a realistic possibly. Who would be the other team though? Cincinnati or Louisville if they don't get raided by the ACC? Ahh **** it, it's impossible trying to guess.
In the MAC? Cincy and Louisville would want no part of that. In fact, they would probably be schools the ACC would go after.

For football, they only have 13 teams, so Iowa State would even it out. They could jump right in to the MAC West.

Old
06-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buy Gold

vCash: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
It's actually somewhat surprising, once you get west of Topeka, this state is all K-State. There seems to be a dislike for the "liberal" school by all the country kids.
That's not that surprising...at least for me. Montana is really the only state where FCS football rules the roost (the Dakotas are getting close, with the four 'big' state schools finally joining the FCS within recent years...but both of the Montana schools have been playing forever and both have national titles, South Dakota State is the only one to have a playoff berth in the FCS Playoffs so far out of a combined four years of eligibility out there) and about 75% of this state is staunchly pro-Montana State, the most conservative public school I've ever come across. Unfortunately for Bobcats fans the 25% area of the state that roots for Montana is where 80% of the population is. The divide between the schools here politically can't be much further. Missoula has the well-earned nickname 'Berkeley of the Rockies' while Bozeman is just about the most conservative place in the Rockies...which is saying a lot.

Anyway...what? I always need to bring Montana into a discussion

We're getting a new President next year after George Dennison retires after some 20 years at the post and there is a serious push from the alumni to move up...the money isn't there to do it yet, but with a good offer from a conference Montana will be up in the FBS fairly soon in my opinion. The lines are going to be blurred between FBS and FCS soon enough...being in the WAC would give us more prestige than the Big Sky at least. After the recent events I think that standing invitation to the Mountain West isn't there anymore, and that only adds more pressure to the regents to get this done. The fans keep brining up Idaho as a failure, but our athletic budget is already double what Idaho's is, our football stadium is nearly twice the size, and all that at an athletic fee roughly half the size...if Montana makes the jump we'll be more of a Boise State than an Idaho in my opinion, the only risk is that the alumni are way too proud of their 'Montana boys' to ever accept the change since Montana simply doesn't produce that many high caliber players. The new coach this year, who spent a decade and a half in the Pac 10, recruited heavily from Pac 10 areas (more Oregonians and Californians than Montanans...a rare presence in Washington and Arizona as well) and the alumni are up in arms. Its, on paper, the best class the Grizzlies have ever had by a ridiculous margin...but there's not enough local boys.

Frankly I'm getting sick of going 14-1 playing garbage teams and losing the championship game to an eastern school every year. The schedule past this year looks decent (even with basically the QB and HB being the only players returning Montana has no reason to go anything worse than 11-0 with that schedule...Cal Poly is the marquee non-conference team, and they went 4-7 last year in the Big West. North Dakota, in their second year in the FCS, and a DII school round out the competition...thanks Bobby Hauck...at least there are long-term home-and-aways with McNeese State and Appalachian State coming up, perennial Top 10 FCS schools). The alumni seem to be getting that same itch. Being a big fish in a small pond is meaningless if you can't get over the hump and win a bloody championship. 11-0 seasons are expected here...and that's just not fun in my books when you have next to nothing to show for it.

Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:31 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
That's not that surprising...at least for me. Montana is really the only state where FCS football rules the roost (the Dakotas are getting close, with the four 'big' state schools finally joining the FCS within recent years...but both of the Montana schools have been playing forever and both have national titles, South Dakota State is the only one to have a playoff berth in the FCS Playoffs so far out of a combined four years of eligibility out there) and about 75% of this state is staunchly pro-Montana State, the most conservative public school I've ever come across. Unfortunately for Bobcats fans the 25% area of the state that roots for Montana is where 80% of the population is. The divide between the schools here politically can't be much further. Missoula has the well-earned nickname 'Berkeley of the Rockies' while Bozeman is just about the most conservative place in the Rockies...which is saying a lot.

Anyway...what? I always need to bring Montana into a discussion

We're getting a new President next year after George Dennison retires after some 20 years at the post and there is a serious push from the alumni to move up...the money isn't there to do it yet, but with a good offer from a conference Montana will be up in the FBS fairly soon in my opinion. The lines are going to be blurred between FBS and FCS soon enough...being in the WAC would give us more prestige than the Big Sky at least. After the recent events I think that standing invitation to the Mountain West isn't there anymore, and that only adds more pressure to the regents to get this done. The fans keep brining up Idaho as a failure, but our athletic budget is already double what Idaho's is, our football stadium is nearly twice the size, and all that at an athletic fee roughly half the size...if Montana makes the jump we'll be more of a Boise State than an Idaho in my opinion, the only risk is that the alumni are way too proud of their 'Montana boys' to ever accept the change since Montana simply doesn't produce that many high caliber players. The new coach this year, who spent a decade and a half in the Pac 10, recruited heavily from Pac 10 areas (more Oregonians and Californians than Montanans...a rare presence in Washington and Arizona as well) and the alumni are up in arms. Its, on paper, the best class the Grizzlies have ever had by a ridiculous margin...but there's not enough local boys.

Frankly I'm getting sick of going 14-1 playing garbage teams and losing the championship game to an eastern school every year. The schedule past this year looks decent (even with basically the QB and HB being the only players returning Montana has no reason to go anything worse than 11-0 with that schedule...Cal Poly is the marquee non-conference team, and they went 4-7 last year in the Big West. North Dakota, in their second year in the FCS, and a DII school round out the competition...thanks Bobby Hauck...at least there are long-term home-and-aways with McNeese State and Appalachian State coming up, perennial Top 10 FCS schools). The alumni seem to be getting that same itch. Being a big fish in a small pond is meaningless if you can't get over the hump and win a bloody championship. 11-0 seasons are expected here...and that's just not fun in my books when you have next to nothing to show for it.
I actually thought of you and DPR when I was typing up my last post. Kansas and Montana do seem to have some similarities in that regard, though Kansas has never been a great football program and is an all-time great in basketball (which doesn't matter much at all in the current rearrangements and such).

My order of preference for things to play out:
1. KU to Pac-10 rather than TAMU
2.Anything that invovles KU in a real conference and Mizzou completely screwed

Old
06-12-2010, 07:03 PM
rj

Quote:
It's actually somewhat surprising, once you get west of Topeka, this state is all K-State. There seems to be a dislike for the "liberal" school by all the country kids. But, yeah, KC and Topeka and everything up around here is pretty solidly Jayhawk country. Wichita is sorta split, but lots of people there are alumnis of Wichita State, so it always seem to me it is a lot of bandwagon fans.
Well you have to look at where the degrees come from. Kansas as the flagship state university I'm assuming is your typical liberal arts/law/teaching/medicine degrees, while Kansas State probably has the more technical/business/agricultural degrees. The former tend to predominate the cities heavily and the latter tend to be more "country". This is not a hard and fast rule but it's how it skews.

That's at least what I see in two other states I'm familiar with.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Alex Jones
WOKE

Anybody other than me on the fence between being appalled at how much leverage sheer $$$ has in the college game, and being fascinated by the reshaping of the landscape??

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buy Gold

Oh, its absolutely sickening and appalling. You can't blame the schools though...when you're looking at a $10 million per year difference you take it. Montana, with its stadium and actual television rights in the state, gets more money than most any school in the FCS and it would take about an entire season to make as much as one week that Indiana gets just to be a pushover in the Big ten (who is never on TV...seriously, Montana is usually on ESPN nationwide 1-2 times a year while I can't remember the last time Indiana has had a nationwide telecast).

Old
06-12-2010, 08:00 PM
vwg*

Quote:
In the MAC? Cincy and Louisville would want no part of that. In fact, they would probably be schools the ACC would go after.

For football, they only have 13 teams, so Iowa State would even it out. They could jump right in to the MAC West.
I was just thinking if the ACC or Big East is dissolved, but you're right.. no way they go to MAC. I'm guessing a FCS school could possibly move up.

Old
06-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
while I can't remember the last time Indiana has had a nationwide telecast
They were on ESPN/ESPN2 when they played Michigan and I'm pretty sure they were on ESPN when they played Iowa because I was able to watch it at a tailgate. The Big10 has two games in that noon slot on ESPN/ESPN2 so they're going to get on there at least once.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 08:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Indiana is going to play Penn State in Washington this November.

Old
06-12-2010, 09:05 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
No link, but on a local news update, they said there is a rumor that KU officials are in "Texas or Oklahoma" meeting with the Pac-10 crew trying to get TAMU's spot since A&M is dragging their feet. No idea on the veracity of this.
Joe Schad reported that Utah has an edge on Kansas to be the 16th member.

I bet it's true. Whether they're successful or not, we'll see.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:

He is also reporting that Mike Slive is in College Station.

And....CFTalk

RT @ChipBrownOB: Texas A&M regents have the votes to join the SEC and could announce that move as early as next week.

I did not know the SEC was officially looking to add. They can not add just 1 team. Makes no sense.

Georgia Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Well, the SEC isn't going to sit around and watch a whole BCS conference be dissolved without being in on the action

Old
06-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
Well, the SEC isn't going to sit around and watch a whole BCS conference be dissolved without being in on the action
I do not see why they could not. You do not see the ACC going and talking about expansion. I like the SEC as it is. If they add, AM is not a team I would first go after. They would be a good rival for Arkansas, but I think others could bring more to the table.

Georgia Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:28 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
He is also reporting that Mike Slive is in College Station.

And....CFTalk

RT @ChipBrownOB: Texas A&M regents have the votes to join the SEC and could announce that move as early as next week.

I did not know the SEC was officially looking to add. They can not add just 1 team. Makes no sense.
Well apparently they want Texas and Oklahoma but that they don't think they have a chance. A&M still gives them a market in Texas and a natural rival for Arkansas.

Old
06-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buy Gold

Alright, I was out of the country for last college football season, but I usually watch the Big Ten games and I can't remember one the previous two years. Not at a normal time at least. The only times I remembered seeing Indiana on TV was the in-marker games against Penn State before.

Either way...you definitely can't blame the school. Being a cupcake in a premium conference would be enough to make sure that the prized jewel of Montana's academics wasn't taught in a bloody 1950s high school building as it is today (the mediocre programs are in the high-tech buildings while the prestige programs are in the lousiest buildings on campus...real fair). The WAC would hardly solve the issues overnight, but with Boise State out of the picture Montana would instantly be a top 2 team in the WAC by the time a move would happen (Sagarin rankings last year would place the Griz ahead of any non-Boise State WAC team and next year's team will have a lot more talent, though with a new coach), which would mean a bowl game, which would mean more money than a FCS title could ever bring, even as a losing team.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 06-12-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old
06-12-2010, 09:43 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:

BYU would make more sense than Utah or Kansas from a market perspective...but they wouldn't go (and i'm not sure the Pac would invite them even if it was the logical pick).

I imagine it'll be Kansas. Heck, Utah might even realize their chances are better in a BCS-Mountain West than the yearly dogfight that will be the Pac 16 (think "Sec West Coast")

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:59 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post
BYU would make more sense than Utah or Kansas from a market perspective...but they wouldn't go (and i'm not sure the Pac would invite them even if it was the logical pick).

I imagine it'll be Kansas. Heck, Utah might even realize their chances are better in a BCS-Mountain West than the yearly dogfight that will be the Pac 16 (think "Sec West Coast")
BYU would never get an invite because of the religious affiliation.

Utah provides a good bball program, a currently strong football program, and is a good academic school, which is appealing to the Pac 10.

Kansas provides a top flight bball program, and a decent football program.

They both offer new markets. Utah would move to the Pac 10 for the $$$ and exposure. You can't really go wrong with either school though.

Old
06-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buy Gold

It'll be Utah. BYU is too 'out there' to be in a major conference.