HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Conferences Play Musical Chairs (Boise stays in MWC)

Old
06-14-2010, 11:41 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
Colorado helped them. Denver is one of the better markets in the nation. I don't see how they lose.
well, they still need a 12th team to add the conf champ game.

you're probably right that its a significant boon for the pac 10 to get a market east of the rockies but to fully cash in they'll need at least one more school

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 11:42 AM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Texture View Post
Might the Big12 to try and replace the schools that the just lost in order to keep that title game? But I agree, if the status quo remains the Big 12 comes out of this looking weaker and I am sure they will be raided agian in future.
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking when i heard this morning Texas might stay...i doubt they 'stand pat' at a 10-team Big 12.

Utah goes to the PAC-10 to give them 12, and TCU and BYU go to the Big 12 to give them 12...and Boise crys

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

ESPN just posted an article from Schad about half an hour ago saying the rumored schools move to the Pac 10 is now "imminent", and citing the old orangebloods.com info so it definitely came after that. Also saying that TAMU will be heading to the SEC, so obviously they would look at adding someone now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5284375

Quote:
One source said commissioner Dan Beebe's last-minute plan to save the conference has "zero" chance to succeed. Another source said it is "very unlikely" to succeed.

Texas' interests in being aligned with the research opportunities and academic missions of Pac-10 schools is driving the decision, along with money.

Beebe's last-ditch plan included an emotional plea about preserving rivalries and maintaining the best welfare of the student-athlete, one source said.
That last bit definitely made me laugh. In a scenario where more money is the absolute bottom line for these schools, talking about the welfare of student athletes, some of whom have not a dime to their name, as part of the pitch is a bit rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I think if they do stay together the Big 12 almost has to get back to 12 teams. I would expect the TV $ for the conf championship game is substantial, and a significant element of their TV deal.
Good point, the promises of this increased revenue would probably be totally hollow if they lost such a major moneymaker as the title game. Makes all that "stronger as 10" talk look a little silly.

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking when i heard this morning Texas might stay...i doubt they 'stand pat' at a 10-team Big 12.

Utah goes to the PAC-10 to give them 12, and TCU and BYU go to the Big 12 to give them 12...and Boise crys
Heh, yeah, I wonder if Boise will live to regret their decision. They surely wouldve been in with a good shout for the Pac 10.

I would hope stipulation number one wouldve been "get rid of that damn blue field"

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Nebraska is fine. Moving to the Big Ten is a win-win because the big ten already had eleven teams, and adding Nebraska makes them able to have a conf champ game.
Interestingly Osborne was the lone dissentor on the Big XII title game (nothing to do with having to play another real opponent I'm sure.)

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 03:43 PM
invictus

So, kind of an ignorant question, if this Big 12 is saved, they are working on making an equivalent of a "Big 12 Network" or they are going to get a contract with a network like how SEC games are always on CBS? If it is the latter, any idea what network is going to get them?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Heh, yeah, I wonder if Boise will live to regret their decision. They surely wouldve been in with a good shout for the Pac 10.

I would hope stipulation number one wouldve been "get rid of that damn blue field"
Boise's facilities would need a major overhaul before the Pac 10 would be an option. I'd bring in academics, but seemingly academics have gone out the window in this cluster**** of change.

Bronco Stadium is small by even Mountain West standards.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Didn't Boise State decline an invitation to the Pac 10 in the past?

Championship Games = Money

Championship Games - TV Time (Missouri and Colorado losing this game every year means as much as Texas and OU winning it every year. As long as Colorado can keep them close and not lose games 70-3).

Championship Games = de facto playoff system. It's likely the closest we'll ever get which is why every major conference should get one. The ACC hasn't taken advantage of it, but the conference a lot of people feel are the best (Big 12, SEC) have them. The two conferences who think they're better than everyone else despite not backing it up (Big Ten, Pac 10) with any real substance other than Ohio State and USC running over their conference look like they're putting themselves in position to get them.

But c'mon Texas, jump the sinking ship already.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Punch Rock Groin!

So if the Big XII holds together I have to imagine TCU gets the first invite.

Denver is also a good market for the PAC-10 because they get more of it than a split up market like Seattle. The MWC schools are very much second class citizens to CU.

I'd like to see Mike Bohn make a public overture to Nebraska to continue the rivalry as a non-conference game...just to see them weasel out of it.

Old
06-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Didn't Boise State decline an invitation to the Pac 10 in the past?
I doubt Boise State would have ever turned the Pac10 down.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 06:30 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
That last bit definitely made me laugh. In a scenario where more money is the absolute bottom line for these schools, talking about the welfare of student athletes, some of whom have not a dime to their name, as part of the pitch is a bit rich.
What rivalries? Under the proposed Pac 16, the major Big 12 rivalries stay in tact. Texas is not a rival with Kansas and Iowa State.

Old
06-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

The Pac-10 goes from potentially adding two of the iconic programs in America along with a bunch of other solid ones, to adding Colorado and potentially a team from a mid-major like Utah.

The Pac-10 still has a big problem because they only have one elite proven program that people in the rest of the country will watch, and that team just got hammered for cheating.

The Pac-10 is never going to get the type of TV deals the SEC or Big 10 got, for a variety of reasons, like I mentioned above, only one long term dominant football power and a lack of national footprint. A lot more people move from the midwest to the west coast than the other way around.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 06:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

ESPN is saying Texas declined an invitation to the Pac 10.

God dammit

Old
06-14-2010, 07:40 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5286672

Big XII is alive, with 10 teams. (for now)

06-14-2010, 07:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Hopefully they find two teams then.

Old
06-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

I would be pretty worried if I was running the Mountain West right now.

The Pac-10 needs another team (hello Utah) and the Big 12 is going to need two more teams (TCU, Boise St., BYU?)

The Mountain West looked like they could have really benefited from the collapse of the Big 12, now it looks like they could be prime for the pickings from the Pac-10 and the Big 12.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Boise just agreed to join the MWC, would they really pull out for the Big 12 so soon?

Old
06-14-2010, 08:17 PM
invictus

Hmm, I am thinking there will be structural changes to the Big 12-lite with HEAVY penalties for leaving. Otherwise, say when Notre Dame's tv package with NBC expires they finally give in and go to the Big 10, all of a sudden, Missouri would be in play again to keep the divisions even, no?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:20 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5286672

Big XII is alive, with 10 teams. (for now)
Does this make the Big Ten the new 12, and the 12 the new new Ten?

I still can't get over Nebraska in the same league with Sparty, tOSU, and UofM.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

The Cool Kids at CU are surprisingly mute on the matter.

Old
06-14-2010, 09:00 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Boise just agreed to join the MWC, would they really pull out for the Big 12 so soon?
If they are offered and the best teams in the MWC leave for the Big XII/Pac-# will they really have much of a choice? Wasn't the whole reason they moved to the MWC to gain more money and credibility when it comes to the national stage? If the best MWC teams leave, it's basically like being in the WAC all over again.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Hockeyfan02

Well that was a lot of fuss for nothing.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I just made a long Montana/Montana State-pointed post on the Pens board about this but basically...

Pac 10/Big XII absorb the best of the Mountain West, which leads to the Mountain West purging the best of the WAC, which leads to the WAC purging the best of the Big Sky, which leads to the Big Sky absorbing most of the Great West (leaving Southern Utah completely ****ed and effectively forced to quit football). The trickle-down effect of this whole thing is huge...even if this isn't resulting in 16 team mega-conferences and just in 5/6 of the BCS conferences sitting at 12 teams.

As a Griz fan I'm on the fence about it. The 'prestige' of the WAC is slightly more than being in the Big Sky just because of the FBS factor...but the finances in the FCS actually are better to Montana than a move would be if we keep competing for titles more often than not (a home playoff game for Montana brings in roughly the same as winning something like the New Mexico Bowl brings in...and there's the potential for three of them a year).

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Blast Hardcheese!

Old
06-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator