HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Conferences Play Musical Chairs (Boise stays in MWC)

Old
11-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/slmandel/statuses/269990797594726400
Quote:
RT @alex_prewitt: #Terps fans have created a "Keep UMD in the ACC!" Facebook group. https://t.co/9h0WgW47

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:32 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Big Ten fans should join that group asap.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

You people are really clueless when it comes to Rutgers football and the entire sport of basketball.

Officer Rod Farva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:34 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
You people are really clueless when it comes to Rutgers football and the entire sport of basketball.
All-time in football, Rutgers is just over .500, and they've won 5 bowl games total. All within the last decade. What am I missing? (I just looked them up in Wikipedia).

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
All-time in football, Rutgers is just over .500, and they've won 5 bowl games total. All within the last decade. What am I missing? (I just looked them up in Wikipedia).
What has Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota ever done? I'm not saying they are world beaters, but this year, the present RU would be up there in the standings, not saying they'd win either division, but I'm saying they would definitely give some of the upper tier BIG teams a run for their money. They would probably be the 5th best team in the conf. this year. According to polls there better than all but 2 or 3 teams this year.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:49 AM
invictus

Quote:
What has Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota ever done? I'm not saying they are world beaters, but this year, the present RU would be up there in the standings, not saying they'd win either division, but I'm saying they would definitely give some of the upper tier BIG teams a run for their money. They would probably be the 5th best team in the conf. this year. According to polls there better than all but 2 or 3 teams this year.
You said all the other posters are clueless when it comes to football at Rutgers. I am unsure what those other schools sucking at it have to do with Rutgers. If your best argument for Rutgers is that they are potentially not a doormat, then...okay

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
You said all the other posters are clueless when it comes to football at Rutgers. I am unsure what those other schools sucking at it have to do with Rutgers. If your best argument for Rutgers is that they are potentially not a doormat, then...okay

did you not read the rest of my post? They have one of the best defenses in the country. You keep pointing to the past, which means nothing because they'd be (if it is true, it could be false for all we know) contending this year IMO. You say that there over .500
historically...following this team with the history being over .500 is a major accomplishment.

They add more than football too. The TV Market being the big thing.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:58 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

The best part about that is that Minnesota actually has won like four national titles and up to the 60s were one of the upper echelon teams nationally. So if you ask what they have *ever* done, the answer is, well quite a lot more than Rutgers.

I mean what is Rutgers football's biggest claim to fame? Played the first college football game vs Princeton using some mix of soccer and rugby rules. So the next like 130 years or so there was basically nothing and then Ray Rice. That's it.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The best part about that is that Minnesota actually has won like four national titles and up to the 60s were one of the upper echelon teams nationally. So if you ask what they have *ever* done, the answer is, well quite a lot more than Rutgers.

I mean what is Rutgers football's biggest claim to fame? Played the first college football game vs Princeton using some mix of soccer and rugby rules. So the next like 130 years or so there was basically nothing and then Ray Rice. That's it.
the past means nothing is what I was getting at.

I don't see why the BIG wouldn't want Rutgers. It's a no brainier

Old
11-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Rutgers should try giving upper tier MAC teams a run for their money first.

As bad as the B1G is this year even NW and Minn beat Syracuse this year.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Rutgers should try giving upper tier MAC teams a run for their money first.

As bad as the B1G is this year even NW and Minn beat Syracuse this year.
so should Penn state.

Rutgers beat them too.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Rutgers beat them too.
Just like a bottom-third B1G team then.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Just like a bottom-third B1G team then.
Not according to the polls

Old
11-18-2012, 01:52 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Best case scenario - Rutgers is a bottom third B1G school.
Worst case scenario - They make Indiana look good.

I'm betting on the latter. I mean...they won their first bowl game in their 136th year of existence. Christ, even Duquesne can claim a bowl win in the 30s.

And no, I'm not going to give respect to a team playing an FCS-caliber schedule. The Big East is, at best, equal to the MAC at this point and their OoC was a total joke. Tulane (2-9), Howard (7-4 in the MEAC...a conference so bad that they voluntarily abstain from the FCS playoffs after losing 20+ straight playoff games), Arkansas (4-7), Kent State (lost), and Army (2-9).

Rutgers will probably get blown out by Louisville anyway.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 11-18-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:57 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
I don't see why the BIG wouldn't want Rutgers. It's a no brainier
Because there's a risk you're adding a schedule filler without much of a fanbase. No offense to Rutgers but even if they can sort of become Purdue, there's just not that much power behind the school or program. Your stadium would fit right in with the lower echelon of the conference and your attendance fits right in with the Minnesotas and Indianas.

Sure, it wouldn't be that different from Indiana but for one they are one of the country's big-time basketball programs and two they are already in. The question would be why we would want another Indiana without a high-end basketball program?

Old
11-18-2012, 02:01 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

It's the sort of argument that delusional Montana fans make about being in the Pac-12 because we'd align favorably with Washington State.

As a football program Rutgers offers nothing. As a media market for a subscription-based conference network Rutgers offers a huge amount of houses...regardless if anyone actually watches them. Rutgers is being talked about for one reason and one reason only. They'll go right back to being the joke that they've always been.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Not according to the polls
Good timing to bring up polls the day both #1 and #2 lost. Polls also had Louisville in the top 10 last week before they lost to a team that lost to a B1G doormat.

Every good mid-major team that has joined a top 4 conference the last few years has struggled in the bottom half. Rutgers would be no different.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:06 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Figured that this was going to happen eventually when the ACC added Cuse and Pitt. Just figured we'd see more dominoes fall by now (FSU, Clemson, VT) rather then the other way (ND to ACC).

I doubt Maryland will be missed by the ACC much though. VT (and WVU) have about as much presence in their media market as the Terps right now, and Cuse and Pitt both bring in better programs for basketball as of now. Maryland, Pitt, and to a lesser extent Cuse can be seen as "sleeping giants" for football due to their recruiting grounds, but they never seem to do much over the past decade. Rutgers has arguably been the strongest of the 4 programs and by a pretty wide margin IMO, which if you had told me that would be the case back in 2002 I would have laughed at you.
I wonder if the Big <12 (whoever corrected me on that, thanks, don't know why I never picked up on it) would be interested in VT. They're having a bad year this year, but they could better recruit nationally if they jumped the sinking ACC ship, and West Virginia would have a natural rival. They'd still have room to pick up a 12th team again. I think after this year and last year, they'd like to have a Championship Game again to give their champion a quality opponent, because they'll never have the best 1-loss team without it. They should try for Cincinnati, too.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:12 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Worst case scenario - They make Indiana look good.
Hey, we're on the rise. Offense is pretty good and there's 2 great classes coming in defensively. 7 wins next year, book it.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

As a Terps fan, I'm upset. I don't want to see them go to the Big Ten, even if it's better financially. Kevin Anderson has been awful, and the direction they're taking the program with this possible move isn't where they should go. They can't compete in football, and they aren't a big draw in their own stadium. I realize with Ohio State, Penn State and others, that Maryland officials are drooling at the potential tickets being sold (there are enough Ohio and Michigan transplants alone to pretty much sell out any Maryland-Ohio State, Maryland-Michigan game) and the revenues from the TV contracts. But for the secondary sports and the potential competition in the major sports, it's bad for business. Maryland's football program is dreadful, and they're not getting much help by being tuned up by the Big10. At least in the ACC, with a few half decent recruits each year, they could at least make a bowl. Not going to happen in the Big10.

As far as basketball, they're eliminating their tradition rivals, or at least big draw matchups. Playing Duke and North Carolina are infinitely more valuable to Maryland then what they're going to get in the Big10 for Basketball. Their basketball can compete with anyone, and I think they'd consistently be in the top 2 or 3 in the conference without much effort. Turgeon is a very good coach, and he seems to have a touch with recruits.

Football is going to be a problem for them, because I think they're swimming above there level in the ACC now. The max they will ever hope for in the Big10 is .500. That's if they recruit better and probably find a new coach.

On the opposite side of the coin, I do see the motives for the conference to add Maryland. While they're a poor football school, they bring a lot of extras with the package. They're a fertile recruiting ground for both basketball and football talent. The talent pool in the Midwest is thin, and it's scooped up by two or three programs. Maryland, and the Mid Atlantic is a strong pool that the Big10 already recruits pretty heavily. If you want to compete on a national stage, and you can't get Texas, FL or California with regularity, the DMV is a good fall back. Especially for basketball, where they produce way more than their share of studs. TV market wise, the more Big10 viewers, the better. I already nominally watch the network when there's a good game on. If Maryland switches, I'm going to be forced to watch more. I also know for a fact the transplants in the area watch it, as they follow Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and many other programs. It will drive viewership some. I also think Academics, and the associations that Maryland's involved in are a part of this as well. I just don't know who else they would get. Va Tech makes some sense, but not for recruiting, and they've been pretty mediocre of late. Maryland's nothing if not ambitious.

I just wonder how they're going to afford to pay the 50 million without a big help from Mr. Plank from Under Armour. They've said they would deduct some from the tv revenue over time, well, then, what's the point of leaving? Bleh. Just disappointed.

Last edited by Chimaera: 11-18-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:19 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Sure, it wouldn't be that different from Indiana but for one they are one of the country's big-time basketball programs and two they are already in. The question would be why we would want another Indiana without a high-end basketball program?
And have been, forever. And they play in the midwest, where this conference is suppose to be located.

There have been 2 additions to the Big Ten in the modern era of the conference.
They were both 2 of the most storied programs in college football history.

Now, we're adding Maryland and Rutgers

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:45 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I wonder if the Big <12 (whoever corrected me on that, thanks, don't know why I never picked up on it) would be interested in VT. They're having a bad year this year, but they could better recruit nationally if they jumped the sinking ACC ship, and West Virginia would have a natural rival. They'd still have room to pick up a 12th team again. I think after this year and last year, they'd like to have a Championship Game again to give their champion a quality opponent, because they'll never have the best 1-loss team without it. They should try for Cincinnati, too.
You have no idea how much I'd love to see VT make the jump to the Big 12-2. Prominent national program, great recruiting, a fanbase that actually gives a crap enough to pack their stadium. Excepting Clemson and FSU they're just not a cultural fit for the ACC based on those criteria. I've always been working under the assumption that VT was SEC bound if the ACC falls apart. If the Big 12 could become 12 again by grabbing them and basically anyone not terrible (so basically limited to Boise, Louisville, BYU, and Cincy of what's left that would make sense) it's a huge win.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:11 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
As a Terps fan, I'm upset. I don't want to see them go to the Big Ten, even if it's better financially. Kevin Anderson has been awful, and the direction they're taking the program with this possible move isn't where they should go. They can't compete in football, and they aren't a big draw in their own stadium. I realize with Ohio State, Penn State and others, that Maryland officials are drooling at the potential tickets being sold (there are enough Ohio and Michigan transplants alone to pretty much sell out any Maryland-Ohio State, Maryland-Michigan game) and the revenues from the TV contracts. But for the secondary sports and the potential competition in the major sports, it's bad for business. Maryland's football program is dreadful, and they're not getting much help by being tuned up by the Big10. At least in the ACC, with a few half decent recruits each year, they could at least make a bowl. Not going to happen in the Big10.

As far as basketball, they're eliminating their tradition rivals, or at least big draw matchups. Playing Duke and North Carolina are infinitely more valuable to Maryland then what they're going to get in the Big10 for Basketball. Their basketball can compete with anyone, and I think they'd consistently be in the top 2 or 3 in the conference without much effort. Turgeon is a very good coach, and he seems to have a touch with recruits.

Football is going to be a problem for them, because I think they're swimming above there level in the ACC now. The max they will ever hope for in the Big10 is .500. That's if they recruit better and probably find a new coach.

On the opposite side of the coin, I do see the motives for the conference to add Maryland. While they're a poor football school, they bring a lot of extras with the package. They're a fertile recruiting ground for both basketball and football talent. The talent pool in the Midwest is thin, and it's scooped up by two or three programs. Maryland, and the Mid Atlantic is a strong pool that the Big10 already recruits pretty heavily. If you want to compete on a national stage, and you can't get Texas, FL or California with regularity, the DMV is a good fall back. Especially for basketball, where they produce way more than their share of studs. TV market wise, the more Big10 viewers, the better. I already nominally watch the network when there's a good game on. If Maryland switches, I'm going to be forced to watch more. I also know for a fact the transplants in the area watch it, as they follow Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and many other programs. It will drive viewership some. I also think Academics, and the associations that Maryland's involved in are a part of this as well. I just don't know who else they would get. Va Tech makes some sense, but not for recruiting, and they've been pretty mediocre of late. Maryland's nothing if not ambitious.

I just wonder how they're going to afford to pay the 50 million without a big help from Mr. Plank from Under Armour. They've said they would deduct some from the tv revenue over time, well, then, what's the point of leaving? Bleh. Just disappointed.
As a Terp alum I love the move from a personal stand point. The home and homes against Duke and UVA end next year when Pitt, Syracuse and ND enter the conference. So they are basically already losing those "rivalries." I am also a bigger football fan so moving to a better football conference (and having ideally more bigger games) seems like it will be fun. Especially regular games against Penn St and Rutgers for someone like me who also grew up in NJ.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

except they can't win or compete in those games.

They could do well enough to be decent in the ACC in a few seasons. In the Big 10?

Ha.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

RIP Maryland Duke rivalry

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote