HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Conferences Play Musical Chairs (Boise stays in MWC)

Old
06-09-2010, 03:40 PM
rj

vCash: 500
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1092612

Quote:
A source close to the Nebraska Board of Regents told Orangebloods.com the regents met informally Wednesday and have agreed to move to the Big Ten and that a formal announcement Nebraska is leaving will come Friday.

Sources close to Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech have suggested to Orangebloods.com over the last week that if Nebraska leaves, the Big 12 can't be saved.

A Fox television report out of Ohio said Nebraska now has an invitation from the Big Ten.

One of the reasons given for Nebraska's importance to the league is because the relationship between Missouri and the rest of the Big 12 has soured beyond repair.

And to complicate matters for Missouri, the Tigers appear to be falling down the list of priorities for the Big Ten.

An athletic director with knowledge of the Big Ten said, "Missouri is getting cold shoulder from Big Ten."

Joe Schad of ESPN reported Wednesday that the Big Ten list of interest for expansion goes like this: 1) Notre Dame 2) Nebraska 3) Rutgers and/or Maryland.

According to a story by Lee Barfknecht of the Omaha World-Herald, a respected reporter covering the Big 12 for years, Nebraska is expected to leave for the Big Ten as early as Friday, according to information provided to Barfknecht by an executive at another Big 12 school.

That is the day Nebraska's regents have a formal meeting in Lincoln.

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne on his monthly radio show on the Husker Sports Network said he hoped "to get things together in the next few days."

But Osborne acknowledged, "There's a lot of information we really don't have right now."

Here's his entire quote:

"I suppose there is quite a bit I can speculate on, but as you and I talked before the show came on there's a lot of information we really don't have right now," Osborne said.

"Hopefully we'll get things put together in the next few days. Anything I would say regarding Nebraska's position or other schools in the Big 12 right now would be pure speculation at this point and I don't think that's very helpful. As much as I know fans don't like it, I think we need to put certain things off limits.

"I think before too long, I don't know exactly what that time frame is, but we'll be able to put this thing to bed because I'm getting tired of it."

BIG 12's FINAL SUPPER ON JUNE 14?

Two different executives in the Big 12 confirmed to Orangebloods.com Wednesday morning the hard deadline for Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado and the entire Big 12 to pledge their allegiance to each other is Monday, June 14.

A high-level executive at a Big 12 institution said there have been informal conversations about who to add to the Big 12 if schools start to leave. Those schools have included BYU and Air Force.

But that same executive as well as others in the Big 12 South have told Orangebloods.com the conference will not survive if Nebraska leaves - no matter who else stays or goes.

If Nebraska were to stay in the Big 12 and Missouri and Colorado were to leave, for example, the sense is the Big 12 could attempt to add schools like BYU and Air Force to the Big 12 North and move ahead.

TEXAS AND TEXAS A&M MEET THURSDAY

In a related development, a legislative source with knowledge of Texas A&M said officials from A&M and Texas will meet on Thursday to discuss all the goings on and to make sure they are on the same page if the Big 12 falls apart. The source said, however, that Texas and Texas A&M remain steadfast in lobbying for the Big 12 to stay together.

NOTRE DAME'S CALL

The future of the Big 12 appeared to hinge on the Big Ten's deliberations with Notre Dame. The Big Ten has promised Notre Dame it will stop its expansion at 12 schools if Notre Dame agrees to finally forgo its independence and become part of a conference, an athletic director with knowledge of the Big Ten has told Orangebloods.com.

Notre Dame is apparently locked in a battle among its Board of Trustees about what to do. There are some who fear the Irish being left out of the formation of what could well become four, super conferences in college athletics. That could cost Notre Dame its access to a BCS bid.

The Big Ten has also given indications it will go east and possibly raid anywhere from one to three schools from the Big East, where Notre Dame plays its other sports, leaving the Irish scrambling even more.

In the ultimate irony, the only way Notre Dame may be able to avoid the super conference scenario is by doing what it least wants to do: give up its independence and lucrative NBC/Comcast contract and join a conference.

Sources have told Orangebloods.com the Big Ten would not be handing out any more invitations if Notre Dame agrees to join the league. An AD source reaffirmed to Orangebloods.com Wednesday that "there is a timeline involved" between Notre Dame and the Big Ten.

Joe Schad of ESPN reported this week Notre Dame doesn't appear to be budging.

The longer there is silence about Notre Dame's intentions, the more reason to believe Notre Dame could remain on its own.

COLORADO'S BAD TIMING

In another development, one source inside the Big 12 told Orangebloods.com Tuesday Colorado was expected to have a major announcement as early as Wednesday. But that announcement turned out to be with regard to scholarship reductions for the Colorado football and basketball programs because of substandard NCAA APR (Academic Progress Rates).

CU is the only BCS football program to be sanctioned with scholarship reductions and is one of only two BCS basketball programs to get sanctioned, OB has learned.

The Buffaloes have already served the four scholarships it was docked for football and the one it was docked for basketball.

The timing is poor considering the school's possible courtship with some of the more high-minded academic institutions in the Pac-10.

The Boulder Daily Camera reported a regents meeting at CU Tuesday night produced nothing more than legal advice about different scenarios. CU officials said they have not yet received an invitation from the Pac-10, according to the report.

Despite that claim, speculation continues to swirl that Colorado could be preparing to accept a bid from the Pac-10 Conference, which has targeted the Buffaloes for expansion.

As Orangebloods.com first reported last Thursday, Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott's preference is to expand the Pac-10 by six schools. That original list included Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado.

BAYLOR'S FIGHT FACING RESISTANCE?

Since that report legislators and lobbyists with loyalty to Baylor have launched an all-out effort in the Texas Legislature to ensure that Baylor remains with the rest of the Big 12 South if it were to move to the Pac-10.

One top source close to the possible merger between the Pac-10 and six Big 12 schools said some schools in the Pac-10, including California-Berkeley, have a real issue with adding an institution with religious ties like Baylor to the conference.

GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION?

It has been expressed to Orangebloods.com by a top collegiate executive that any movement toward four, 16-team super conferences will be met with resistance by Congress.

The executive said that could be bad news for college athletics because Congress has already taken some cursory looks at the fact athletic departments enjoy a tax-exempt status as part of their universities.

The executive said if it appears the rich are getting richer in college athletics, there will be a hard look at whether to take away the tax exempt status of athletic departments.

"And it won't just be Orin Hatch (a member of the U.S. Senate Finance Committee from Utah and longtime BCS critic) looking into this," the source said.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:45 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
USF would sooner go independent than go back to C-USA. They have a decent market (Tampa Bay) that I think would appeal to other conferences.
Same goes for West Virginia, independent rather then joining the MAC or CUSA. They don't have the market that USF has, but they have a regional and arguably national following (see how many of their ESPN games are among ESPN's top 10 rated games of this decade). I just can't see any way they're left out of either the ACC or SEC when all is said and done. They'd have to expand their stadium to join the SEC but there have been talks of expanding it to 80K for a couple years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
As a current Kansas student, that is what is blowing my mind. I suppose in the big scheme of things, it is just geography that is totally dicking KU. MU and NU are both in states bordering current Big 10 schools, and south and west are more Big 12. There is nowhere for us to go. I don't want to be in the Mountain West

I wonder how the football boosters feel about already passing and paying for the $40,000,000 expansion to Memorial Stadium.
I'd say more then anything it's being tied to KState. While KSU is a decent (not great) basketball program and have had some success in football, they're far from being a program that other conferences might want to add. While Kansas is a possibility, as long as they're tied to KState it's not going to happen, which is unfortunate. It's the same thing with why VT will never go to the SEC, because they'd have to take UVA as well.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:45 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
If all this stuff goes down to the point the Big East does implode, how it looks with Mizzou and Nebraska in the Big 10 plus a few Big East schools to top it off at 16 (this is likely in my opinion if Notre Dame chooses to remain independent), and then 6 of the remaining 10 teams in the Big 12 head off to the Pac-10, all the Big 12 has left is Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and most likely Baylor.

I can figure out how the top conferences look if all these changes occur. The ones underneath (Mountain West, WAC, C-USA, Big East holdovers, the remaining Big 12 schools) I can't figure out.

And as a side comment, basketball has become damn near irrelevant in college sports. A program like Kansas without a chair when the music stops?
As a current Kansas student, that is what is blowing my mind. I suppose in the big scheme of things, it is just geography that is totally dicking KU. MU and NU are both in states bordering current Big 10 schools, and south and west are more Big 12. There is nowhere for us to go. I don't want to be in the Mountain West

I wonder how the football boosters feel about already passing and paying for the $40,000,000 expansion to Memorial Stadium.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:06 PM
invictus

Well, at least I can take some solace in Missouri getting stood up by the Big 10, haha.

Anyone have any guesses as to why Nebraska would be wanted before MU?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Sounds like no one is thginking the least bit about basketball here.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 04:39 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Well, at least I can take some solace in Missouri getting stood up by the Big 10, haha.

Anyone have any guesses as to why Nebraska would be wanted before MU?

seriously though, the Big 10 seems to be stuck in the early 90s if not the 80s on a lot of things. Nebraska joining would only make sense. Amazing that they were the first to come up with and really execute the conference network idea.

Nebraska having a pretty big national following (when they're good) doesn't hurt either.

Old
06-09-2010, 05:11 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

Well, as someone who is a bit older than most on HF this all kind of saddens me. The face of college football will never be the same & I'm not sure how this is for the better. Amazing that after the old SWC was swallowed up by the Big 12, now the Big 12 is going to suffer the same fate at the hands of the Big 10 & Pac 10. I guess 1 positive will be better regular season matchups, but I don't like the thought of 4 superpower conferences. We'll just have to wait and see how this all plays out in a couple years.

PanthersPens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Reality Check

While I know it's all about money and it will be cool to see a shakeup in the big ten, I'll miss how things used to be.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
So it looks like it is finally going down

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
While I know it's all about money and it will be cool to see a shakeup in the big ten, I'll miss how things used to be.
How the big 10 used to be?

Because some things wont change

Illinois is still going to suck at football for example

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5268408
Quote:
A source close to the Nebraska program told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that athletic director Tom Osborne informed athletic staff members within the past 24 hours that the Cornhuskers were going to make the move to the Big Ten conference.

A source close to the Nebraska Board of Regents told Orangebloods.com the regents met informally Wednesday and have agreed to move to the Big Ten and that a formal announcement Nebraska is leaving will come Friday -- the deadline set by the Big 12 for Nebraska and Missouri to state whether they intend to leave the conference.
C'mon Pac-10, show us what you can do!

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:05 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Doesn't matter what the Big Ten and Pac 10 do, the SEC is still the best

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:29 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
I'm as big as of an SEC fan as anyone but this just isn't true. If Pac 10 can add Texas and Oklahoma they will be a really formidable SEC challenger (theyre close to it already without these teams anyway). I'm still not that worried about the Big 10 even if they add Nebraska, Notre Dame and whoever. SEC seems to beat down Big 10 schools on the big stage regularly.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Brodie
Jeux Sans Frontières

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
lol wut

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 06:58 PM
rj

The important question no one has asked!

What does this do to college hockey?

Old
06-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

An insider has informed me

Quote:
WFNI in Indianapolis Reporting

Notre Dame, Syracuse, Rutgers, and Maryland to the Big Ten.
Link

Still no word off Google or WFNI's webpage so take this with a grain of salt until I can find further confirmation.

Last edited by Mike Emrick: 06-09-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:09 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

LOL, if those are the team the Big 10 adds, wow... looks like they want to overtake the ACC as the primetime basketball conference or something. They could have done much better than that if true.

Old
06-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
The important question no one has asked!

What does this do to college hockey?
An assload of message board threads on Big 10 hockey.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:19 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
LOL, if those are the team the Big 10 adds, wow... looks like they want to overtake the ACC as the primetime basketball conference or something. They could have done much better than that if true.
Agree entirely.

I abhor Maryland fans. Obnoxious *********s. I know this from sitting next to them. But it shocks me if they're even thinking about leaving the ACC.

Why do people want Rutgers? For the 100th time: yes, it's near New York but New Yorkers don't care about it! It's just like BC. Yes, it's in Boston but that doesn't mean anyone there cares about BC or the ACC then.

As far as Syracuse, it's been awhile since they've been a big deal.

However, if they were going to get 2 Big East football schools, they make the most sense I suppose. They wouldn't take South Florida, West Virginia, Cincinnati, or UConn. Louisville and Pittsburgh I'd personally prefer to Rutgers and Syracuse, although

Old
06-09-2010, 07:29 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
And the ACC could respond by taking Pitt, WVU, Louisville, Cincy and UConn then simply say "we're still better then you in hoops". Not that they will... just saying they could.

Old
06-09-2010, 07:36 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
And the ACC could respond by taking Pitt, WVU, Louisville, Cincy and UConn then simply say "we're still better then you in hoops". Not that they will... just saying they could.
And Marquette, DePaul, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown form a little better version of the A-10.

Old
06-09-2010, 07:37 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
SEC seems to beat down Big 10 schools on the big stage regularly.
The head to head bowl records would suggest otherwise.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:01 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
The head to head bowl records would suggest otherwise.
How has the Big 10 faired against them in the BCS bowls? I don't care about them beating an SEC team in some toilet bowl. OSU, arguably the Big 10s best team in recent times, is 0-8 vs. the SEC in bowl games. What is the Big 10s recent marquee win vs. a SEC team? Michigan over Florida in Florida's down year? Penn State over LSU? Anyway...

Quote:
Big 10 Against the Top Half of the SEC (these are the SEC teams who regularly win the conference):

Big 10 vs. Bama - 9-13
Big 10 vs. Auburn - 3-6-2
Big 10 vs. Florida - 5-9
Big 10 vs. Georgia - 2-7
Big 10 vs. LSU - 4-7-1
Big 10 vs. Tennessee - 5-9

SEC Against the Top teams of the Big 10 (these are the Big 10 teams who regularly win the conference):

SEC vs. tOSU - 11-7-2 (Of tOSU's 7 wins, 3 came against Vanderbilt, 3 against Kentucky, and 1 against LSU)
SEC vs. Wisconsin - 8-4-1
SEC vs. Illinois - 6-2
SEC vs. Penn State - 16-16
SEC vs. Iowa - 3-4
SEC vs. Michigan - 5-20-1

So, basically, the Big 10 isn't really successful at all against the SEC. Michigan is the only team with any real success against them; and the Big 10 record vs. the SEC would be abysmal without them. And, the remaining success is largely over the two worst teams in the SEC, Vandy and Kentucky. I'll do you one better. Top 6 SEC vs Top 6 Big 10:

Alabama is 3-0 vs. tOSU, 1-2 vs. UM, 8-5 vs. PSU, 0-1 vs. UW, 1-0 vs. Illinois, and never played Iowa. 13-8 (.619)
Tennessee is 1-0 vs. tOSU, 1-0 vs. UM, 2-3 vs. PSU, 2-0 vs. UW, 1-1 vs. Iowa, and never played Illinois. 7-4 (.636)
Florida is 1-0 vs. tOSU, 0-2 vs. UM, 2-0 vs. PSU, 2-0 vs. Illinois, 2-1 vs. Iowa, and never played Wisky. 7-3 (.700)
LSU is 1-1-1 vs. tOSU, 0-1 vs. PSU, 2-0 vs. UW, 1-0 vs. Illinois, 0-1 vs. Iowa, and never played UM. 4-3-1 (.563)
Georgia is 1-0 vs. tOSU, 1-1 vs. UM, 0-1 vs. PSU, 2-0 vs. UW, and never played Illinois or Iowa. 4-2 (.667)
Auburn is 1-0-1 vs. tOSU, 1-1 vs. UM, 1-1 vs. PSU, 1-1-1 vs. UW, and never played Illinois or Iowa. 4-3-2 (.556)

SEC Top 6 vs. Big 10 Top 6 - 39-23-3 (.623)

Every single one of the SEC's top 6 teams has a winning record against the top 6 teams of the Big 10. Conversely, here's how it would look for the Top 6 Big 10 teams vs. Top 6 SEC:

Ohio State is 0-3 vs. Bama, 0-1 vs. UT, 0-1 vs. UF, 1-1-1 vs. LSU, 0-1 vs. UGA, and 0-1-1 vs. AU. 1-8-2 (.182)
Michigan is 2-1 vs. Bama, 0-1 vs. UT, 2-0 vs. UF, 1-1 vs. UGA, 1-1 vs. AU, and never played LSU. 6-4 (.600)
Penn State is 5-8 vs. Bama, 3-2 vs. UT, 0-2 vs. UF, 1-0 vs. LSU, 1-0 vs. UGA, 1-1 vs. AU. 11-13 (.458)
Wisconsin is 1-0 vs. Bama, 0-2 vs. UT, 0-2 vs. LSU, 0-2 vs. UGA, 1-1-1 vs. AU, and never played UF. 2-7-1 (.250)
Illinois is 0-1 vs. Bama, 0-2 vs. UF, 0-1 vs. LSU, and never played UT, UGA, or AU. 0-4 (.000)
Iowa is 1-1 vs. UT, 1-2 vs. UF, 1-0 vs. LSU, and never played Bama, UGA, or AU. 3-3 (.500)

Big 10 Top 6 vs. SEC Top 6 - 23-39-3 (.377)

Only one of the Top 6 Big 10 teams has a winning record against the Top 6 of the SEC. The Big 10 has padded its record against the SEC Junior Varsity; primarily by playing regular season gimme's against teams like UK and Vandy. Once you dig a little deeper, and analyze the wins and losses, the Big 10 is really the Tiny 10, compared to the SEC.
Taken from http://www.spartantailgate.com/forum...-all-time.html

Old
06-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

So basically Michigan is the best team from the Big 10 against the SEC

I still remember that UM win over UF where the SEC speed myth was debunked

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:28 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
So basically Michigan is the best team from the Big 10 against the SEC

I still remember that UM win over UF where the SEC speed myth was debunked
So what about the LSU and Florida beatdowns on OSU in the national championship? Was the myth debunked then too?

Florida was a shell of their national championship team that year, as indicated by their record. Tebow Heisman season was the only reason they won 9 games that year.