HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Conferences Play Musical Chairs (Boise stays in MWC)

Old
06-09-2010, 08:29 PM
invictus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Sounds like no one is thginking the least bit about basketball here.
Right, Memorial Stadium is for the football team. It is just funny the athletic department got so much juice from winning the Orange Bowl a few seasons ago, and who knows what will happen in the coming months. I don't see the likes of Air Force and San Jose State, etc...selling out the stadium

Hubris people, it's not a good time.

And what's with the random SEC/Big 10 *****ing? You have to be really insecure about your team/conference if you have to bring up **** like that in a thread like this.

At least wait until things are finalized before talking smack people.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:33 PM
vwg*

I was just saying I'm not worried about the Big 10 if they add those teams, BTN was the one who brought up the record crap in response to my "SEC beats them regularly on the big stage" which they do as evidenced by their 3-1 head to head record in BCS games. I couldn't really care less if he actually believes the Big 10 is the more dominant conference, I was just showing my reasoning why I think he's wrong.

Edit: I will concede the bottom Big 10 teams are better than the bottom SEC teams, and that Michigan and Iowa have been on par with the SEC whenever they play. I just think tOSU is a big time choker and way overrated.

Last edited by vwg*: 06-09-2010 at 08:42 PM.
vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:00 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
I was just saying I'm not worried about the Big 10 if they add those teams, BTN was the one who brought up the record crap in response to my "SEC beats them regularly on the big stage" which they do as evidenced by their 3-1 head to head record in BCS games. I couldn't really care less if he actually believes the Big 10 is the more dominant conference, I was just showing my reasoning why I think he's wrong.

Edit: I will concede the bottom Big 10 teams are better than the bottom SEC teams, and that Michigan and Iowa have been on par with the SEC whenever they play. I just think tOSU is a big time choker and way overrated.
I think just about everyone, even in the Big 10, would admit that as well

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
From a basketball perspective, the Mountain West would be a great conference with the additions of Kansas and K-State. San Diego State, UNLV, New Mexico, and BYU all have strong basketball programs. What we're going to see now is conferences that are clearly great at basketball...and not so great for football. Vice-versa as well.

At that point you wonder how recruiting will be affected. Will basketball kids want to go to the schools that have good football programs? Great football program notably increases the notoriety of these schools for the kids, at least I think so.. If so, then that would drastically increase some of their profiles. But on the other hand, the SEC schools don't really have the best basketball programs, so I don't know if football is any kind of attraction for them.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

So the PAC-16 talk intensifies...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5270048

But this tidbit...

Quote:
The new conference would be split into divisions with the Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado forming an Eastern Division with Arizona and Arizona State opposite the former Pac-8 (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) in the Western Division.

The coach said it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion. That potential bonanza could open the possibility of the two division champs from one league playing for the national title, and it would eliminate the need for a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a championship game," the coach said. "And coaches in the Big 12 don't like it anyway."
Uhhh... NO! I don't like the BCS anyway, but there's NO WAY you give the PAC-16 two berths. Then the SEC demands two berths. Then it causes more chaos to a flawed system.

If all of those teams want two berths, then don't merge into one conference and keep the Big XII alive. Otherwise, suck it up and play a title game.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Right, Memorial Stadium is for the football team. It is just funny the athletic department got so much juice from winning the Orange Bowl a few seasons ago, and who knows what will happen in the coming months. I don't see the likes of Air Force and San Jose State, etc...selling out the stadium

Hubris people, it's not a good time.
Nope, another bunch of dispossed teams thanks to the BCS.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

So, if the Big Ten and PAC-10 moves reported in the past 24 hours go down, here's what's left of the Big XII:

Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri

Missouri could still go to the Big Ten, but what of the other four? What would their options be? Is the Mountain West really the way to go?

Old
06-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
So the PAC-16 talk intensifies...

But this tidbit...

Uhhh... NO! I don't like the BCS anyway, but there's NO WAY you give the PAC-16 two berths. Then the SEC demands two berths. Then it causes more chaos to a flawed system.

If all of those teams want two berths, then don't merge into one conference and keep the Big XII alive. Otherwise, suck it up and play a title game.
I think this is why we will get a playoff. Larger conferences can give them more room for a playoff and there can still be room for smaller conferences to get bids. If things stay as they are, there are too many people making decisions to ever get a consensus on the matter of a playoff. Conferences wanting two BCS bids will start a playoff system in motion.

Old
06-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Brodie
voted best

Iowa State is a much better fit in the MAC than the MWC.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:35 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
My lord! Will have to rename Pac 10 since states like Texas and OK are not close to the Pacific Ocean or timezone for that matter.

gra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
My lord! Will have to rename Pac 10 since states like Texas and OK are not close to the Pacific Ocean or timezone for that matter.
Well, the Big Ten didn't rename itself after adding Penn State. It could be the PAC-16.

Old
06-10-2010, 12:26 AM
vwg*

Quote:
Well, the Big Ten didn't rename itself after adding Penn State. It could be the PAC-16.
But where is the geographical reference in Big Ten?

The ECHL kept its name even after adding West Coast teams. I could see them just going to Pac 16 or whatever, just so they can keep a similar name for brand recognition.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:59 AM
El Donald
los palabras mejor

Suposedly Colorado has accepted the Pac-Ten, and I think they fit pretty well w/the California schools.

the SEC may also be a competitor for those texas/oklahoma schools.

I feel bad for Kansas, their basketball team may get buried in the MWC or MAC. Ouch.

El Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 07:53 AM
rj

Quote:

They have the power and the teams to back it up. They fully intend to use it to push for what they want, and in the end, they'll get it.

Quote:
Larger conferences can give them more room for a playoff and there can still be room for smaller conferences to get bids.
Only by accident. The entire point of this exercise is for the larger conferences to become superpowers that can squash the tiny ants in the smaller conferences.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Extra Texture
A new career

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
An insider has informed me

Link

Still no word off Google or WFNI's webpage so take this with a grain of salt until I can find further confirmation.
If that were true, all that "orangebloods" stuff about the Big Ten stopping at ND if they could get them must be nonsense. Adding Maryland and ND to the Big Ten will make for some awesome games, for sure. And to me, going furthern north and east for that conference just makes the most sense, geographically, rather than expanding west.

And IF it is true, then a hearty HAHA at Mizzou and Nebraska. Count me in with the "old crowd" as not wanting to see this shakeup happen, especially if it leaves KU and KState scrambling.

Although, if this 4-5 superconference thing absolutely has to happen, my west coast loyalties are glad that the Pac 10 is going to take no prisoners and try to rip the Big 12 apart.

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Mike Emrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Texture View Post
If that were true, all that "orangebloods" stuff about the Big Ten stopping at ND if they could get them must be nonsense. Adding Maryland and ND to the Big Ten will make for some awesome games, for sure. And to me, going furthern north and east for that conference just makes the most sense, geographically, rather than expanding west.

And IF it is true, then a hearty HAHA at Mizzou and Nebraska. Count me in with the "old crowd" as not wanting to see this shakeup happen, especially if it leaves KU and KState scrambling.

Although, if this 4-5 superconference thing absolutely has to happen, my west coast loyalties are glad that the Pac 10 is going to take no prisoners and try to rip the Big 12 apart.
It's more speculation now...a move to be taken if Missouri didn't join the Big 10. I don't know why MD is being brought up, they are fine in ACC and it would kill the MD - Duke rivalry. Not the same when there's only one game against Duke every year

Quote:
The new formation would go into effect in the fall of 2012 with the schools split into eight-team divisions. The West Division probably would be a throwback to the old Pac-8: USC, UCLA, California, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State and Washington.

Arizona and Arizona State, which joined the league in 1978, would join the six Big 12 newcomers. In football, the division leaders would meet in a conference championship game.

Each team could play all seven teams in its division — keeping traditional rivalries intact — with two cross-over games.

The Rose Bowl is still obligated to take the champion of the Big Ten and Pac-10, no matter the configuration.

Commissioner Larry Scott, hired last year to mine new revenue streams, may have hit the mother lode. He could take his new 16-school package to the bargaining table early next year and start renegotiating the league's broadcast contracts, which expire in 2011-12.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,248091.column

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 11:28 AM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
It's more speculation now...a move to be taken if Missouri didn't join the Big 10. I don't know why MD is being brought up, they are fine in ACC and it would kill the MD - Duke rivalry.
The only people that think there's a Maryland-Duke rivalry are Maryland fans.

Listening to the radio here yesterday, apparently Maryland athletics has no money.

Colorado to the Pac-10:

Quote:
It's a done deal.

The University of Colorado will announce at an 11 a.m. Friday press conference that the school will leave the Big 12 and join the Pac-10.

Multiple sources confirmed the deal to the Camera early Thursday, and league officials are scheduled to be in Boulder on Friday for the announcement.

The new league will have at least 12 teams, and likely 16. Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are also still on the Pac-10's docket, and most observers believe those schools are also ready to make the move to West Coast-based conference. The expanded conference would likely debut in time for the 2012 football season.
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_1...#ixzz0qT0li3ws

Old
06-10-2010, 11:45 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Why can't the leftover Big XII teams raid the MWC? Wouldn't BYU and Utah rather face big state schools like Mizzou and Kansas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
I don't care about them beating an SEC team in some toilet bowl.
Why look a the facts, when you can spend 10 times as much time crafting your own statistics to "prove" your case. You also want to avoid going into the average magin of victory. The fact Is that the SEC and Big Ten ar two evenly matched conferences who almost always have very competitive games against one another. And that is with the SEC having an almost exclusive home field advantage. Would love to see that SEC speed in Madison or Columbus in November....no going to happen though

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Why can't the leftover Big XII teams raid the MWC? Wouldn't BYU and Utah rather face big state schools like Mizzou and Kansas?
If they were that desperate, why wouldn't they make them going the MWC and make them a BCS conference? If they get Boise and they got TCU, they have the caliber.

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
There's very little money in raiding the Mountain West. Not only that but the Big XII schools are already pulling in low money compared to the SEC and Big Ten. There's really very little motivation to stay. At least with increased viability for the Mountain West and the level their basketball programs will be at, they can get some good funds in that area.

Quote:
With that large population base, the new conference would start its own network and, along with other broadcast partners, likely would distribute around $20 million per member, comparable broadcast revenue to the Big Ten ($22 million) and SEC ($17 million), the source said.

The Big 12 distributed $7 million to $12 million a year. The Pac-10 distributed $8 million to $10 million.
The question for Texas is which conference is better for them to be assimilated with academically.

Old
06-10-2010, 12:06 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Well the Big XII already has the automatic bid for the BCS, and I am sure they also have much more lucrative marketing deals.

Plus it gives some of the elite MWC teams to dump some teams in their confernce...perhaps get the best of the WAC/MWC/C-USA

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
The glue holding together the Big XII is Texas though. If they left, that 7 to 12 million evaporates into at least half that. There's no reason to stay when they can get double and better academic accreditation. Not to mention considering Texas politics will not allow them to leave A&M and Texas behind, the Big XII would already be reduced to 7 teams. Nobody wants to be in that conference if they aren't there. Texas is the money maker. Of course Oklahoma and Oklahoma State would want to get out, so that's 5. There's just no way this holds up.

The Mountain West isn't ideal, but there's really no choice at this point. It's going to be a mad dash to fill the three spots they have open, everyone else gets left in the lurch. Iowa State specifically will probably only become attached to a conference for basketball and be an independent in football. Nebraska leaving collapsed the Big XII's already shaky financial foundation in comparison to the SEC and Big Ten. And now as soon as Texas leaves for the Pac-10, the Pac-10 will join that financial level.

Old
06-10-2010, 12:26 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The glue holding together the Big XII is Texas though. If they left, that 7 to 12 million evaporates into at least half that. There's no reason to stay when they can get double and better academic accreditation. Not to mention considering Texas politics will not allow them to leave A&M and Texas behind, the Big XII would already be reduced to 7 teams. Nobody wants to be in that conference if they aren't there. Texas is the money maker. Of course Oklahoma and Oklahoma State would want to get out, so that's 5. There's just no way this holds up.

The Mountain West isn't ideal, but there's really no choice at this point. It's going to be a mad dash to fill the three spots they have open, everyone else gets left in the lurch. Iowa State specifically will probably only become attached to a conference for basketball and be an independent in football. Nebraska leaving collapsed the Big XII's already shaky financial foundation in comparison to the SEC and Big Ten. And now as soon as Texas leaves for the Pac-10, the Pac-10 will join that financial level.
Trying to work out a new conference from the refugees, and how's this look?

If the Big 12 refugees form a conference:

Missouri
Kansas State
Kansas
Iowa State
Baylor

Potential additions, me just using guesswork based on football, basketball, market factors, reach:

Memphis
Houston
SMU
TCU
BYU
Utah
Boise State

If the Mountain West forms a bigger conference from the refugees, take:

Kansas
Kansas State (I imagine that's a package deal)
Missouri

that gives them 12 teams, Baylor and Iowa State I think have to go to either the WAC or C-USA

If you cherry pick the teams from Big 12 refugees/Mountain West/WAC/C-USA, maybe something like:

Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, TCU, Boise State, BYU, Utah, Houston, San Diego State, Air Force, UNLV

Old
06-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
If I was making a refugee conference, it would look close to how you made it. I just don't know if the Mountain West guys would bail, I'm not sure that conference would be given an automatic bid, so there wouldn't be any need to rock the boat. The Mountain West is really close to getting an automatic BCS bid if they were to add the Kansas schools and Boise. I think the focus for the MWC has to be to get the BCS bid and become a strong basketball conference. With those three added, it would work. Making a new conference from scratch is a lot of work too.

Old
06-10-2010, 12:38 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
If I was making a refugee conference, it would look close to how you made it. I just don't know if the Mountain West guys would bail, I'm not sure that conference would be given an automatic bid, so there wouldn't be any need to rock the boat. The Mountain West is really close to getting an automatic BCS bid if they were to add the Kansas schools and Boise. I think the focus for the MWC has to be to get the BCS bid and become a strong basketball conference. With those three added, it would work. Making a new conference from scratch is a lot of work too.
You think they'd take Boise over Mizzou?