HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Conferences Play Musical Chairs (Boise stays in MWC)

Old
06-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

vCash: 500
Awards:
If they don't, then they can't get an automatic BCS bid. With Boise in the conference, they are extremely close. The bids are awarded out based on three things

Quote:
Rank of the highest-ranked team, rank of all conference teams, and number of teams in the top 25.
Now with Boise in conference, they are dangerously close to fitting into the system that forces the BCS to give the MWC an automatic bid. With Mizzou, not so much, because that's not a team that is perennially high ranked. They need Boise + improvement in conference from one other school. Now if Kansas comes in and finishes top 25, that'll probably do it.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

It's funny to read whining on the internet about how this is all the fault of the BCS, when in reality this is all being driven by regular-season considerations: conference championship games and conference television money. I almost think the people writing this stuff don't even necessarily believe it, but they know that they can arbitrarily blame things on the BCS and others will agree without actually thinking about it first.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 01:28 PM
G F O P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
It's funny to read whining on the internet about how this is all the fault of the BCS, when in reality this is all being driven by regular-season considerations: conference championship games and conference television money. I almost think the people writing this stuff don't even necessarily believe it, but they know that they can arbitrarily blame things on the BCS and others will agree without actually thinking about it first.
Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports is probably one of the most prominent names out there who blames this on BCS. He basically wrote that the Big 12 signed its own death warrant by refusing a playoff a few years ago.

Big article he wrote blaming this on Delaney and BCS

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 02:01 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

Colorado Joins the Pac-10
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=txpac

Why is this all happening? Can someone fill me in? Should the Big 12 be pissed, or happy, wtf, this is weird coming from a lifelong Pac 10 guy

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Short primer

Pac-10 has a huge television deal waiting if Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Colorado all come into the conference. A deal that doubles what each school receives as revenue from the Big XII. The Big XII schools and Pac-10 schools are both making between 7-12 million per member right now as separate conferences. The Big XII, to be honest, has lots of schools in it that are hangers-on. Schools that certainly do not have athletics that support the kind of funding they are being given. With all these media markets, a Pac-16 conference can make a ton of money. Seattle, the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, and Houston are all pretty big media markets within the scope of college football. Basically even the Western cities that don't have Pac-16 teams still have fanbases in them that would support a Pac-10 network, such as San Diego, Las Vegas, etc. A 16 team Western Conference is a printing press, much like the Big Ten is right now.

If all six teams leave, in addition to Nebraska who has already pledged allegiance to the Big Ten, the Big XII will dissolve and cease to exist. That leaves Kansas, Missouri, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Baylor all looking for conferences. Whoever will take them, basically.

Old
06-10-2010, 02:28 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Short primer

Pac-10 has a huge television deal waiting if Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Colorado all come into the conference. A deal that doubles what each school receives as revenue from the Big XII. The Big XII schools and Pac-10 schools are both making between 7-12 million per member right now as separate conferences. The Big XII, to be honest, has lots of schools in it that are hangers-on. Schools that certainly do not have athletics that support the kind of funding they are being given. With all these media markets, a Pac-16 conference can make a ton of money. Seattle, the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, and Houston are all pretty big media markets within the scope of college football. Basically even the Western cities that don't have Pac-16 teams still have fanbases in them that would support a Pac-10 network, such as San Diego, Las Vegas, etc. A 16 team Western Conference is a printing press, much like the Big Ten is right now.

If all six teams leave, in addition to Nebraska who has already pledged allegiance to the Big Ten, the Big XII will dissolve and cease to exist. That leaves Kansas, Missouri, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Baylor all looking for conferences. Whoever will take them, basically.
Well, to be fair, the "Big Ten" will be a "Big 12"

Also: Go Buffs!

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
I think they're going to expand to 16 also. Too much money to be gained from heading east and taking Syracuse, Maryland, Rutgers, and even Notre Dame too.

Old
06-10-2010, 02:38 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I think they're going to expand to 16 also. Too much money to be gained from heading east and taking Syracuse, Maryland, Rutgers, and even Notre Dame too.
Could be.

It's said to see as classic an athletic program as Kansas left holding their dicks like this.

Old
06-10-2010, 02:57 PM
G F O P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanceOfMaternity View Post
Colorado Joins the Pac-10
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=txpac

Why is this all happening? Can someone fill me in? Should the Big 12 be pissed, or happy, wtf, this is weird coming from a lifelong Pac 10 guy
It's fine because to my understanding, they will be kept in separate divisions, so it's like having the "Pacific 10" division and the "Big 12" division, all in one conference.

Then the winner of each division faces off in the championship game. At least that is what I read from Dufresne's article in the LA Times.

This is why I am now for Pac-10 expansion...no pre-existing rivalry is ruined, the PAC teams continue to play the PAC teams and the "B12" teams continue to play the "B12" teams (except for 2 games). If they change the name of the conference to Western Conference that'd be better...it's not a Pacific conference when you are playing in the Midwest.

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
This is why I am now for Pac-10 expansion...no pre-existing rivalry is ruined...
Except for the Arizona schools and Colorado who are going to be playing almost brand new schedules.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Energise

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Could be.

It's said to see as classic an athletic program as Kansas left holding their dicks like this.
Yep, I'm pissed off right now. I don't really follow college football but as a diehard Jayhawk basketball fan I am a bit concerned. Getting left out in the cold would be awful. Kansas, K State, Iowa State, Baylor, and Mizzou may all be in trouble here. Lots of rumors flying around for all 5 with the Mountain West, the SEC, and the Big 10. I'm trying to ignore it all, though, until things materialize and become official.

Energise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le58Tang View Post
Yep, I'm pissed off right now. I don't really follow college football but as a diehard Jayhawk basketball fan I am a bit concerned. Getting left out in the cold would be awful. Kansas, K State, Iowa State, Baylor, and Mizzou may all be in trouble here. Lots of rumors flying around for all 5 with the Mountain West, the SEC, and the Big 10. I'm trying to ignore it all, though, until things materialize and become official.
NCAA basketball fans (and BCS haters) are always going on about how great the NCAA tournament is, but with that they have to accept that conferences are not going to care as much about basketball when the regular season is de-emphasized, and "success" in NCAA b-ball is judged entirely on performance in a 64 team, conference-neutral tournament. No one cares about regular season college basketball, and so it doesn't have anywhere near the financial clout as regular season football. Since the conferences only really have full control over the regular season (in terms of tickets and TV), that's obviously where their focus is going to be.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Energise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
NCAA basketball fans (and BCS haters) are always going on about how great the NCAA tournament is, but with that they have to accept that conferences are not going to care as much about basketball when the regular season is de-emphasized, and "success" in NCAA b-ball is judged entirely on performance in a 64 team, conference-neutral tournament. No one cares about regular season college basketball, and so it doesn't have anywhere near the financial clout as regular season football. Since the conferences only really have full control over the regular season (in terms of tickets and TV), that's obviously where their focus is going to be.
I fully realize that FBS is a far greater cash cow, all things considered. The gravitation towards more profits when its going to break up rivalries of the former Big 8 is utterly sad, however, for fans of those schools. I'm sure the ADs will find a way to keep them intact in some shape or form but it will certainly lose some of the allure without conference positionality on the line.

And...Holy generalizations Batman.

If you think that "no one cares about regular season college basketball" then I don't know what to tell you. The average, ignorant college basketball fan who likes to fill out his bracket every march probably doesn't give two ***** about the regular season. The scale of this is greater than any other sport in America (in my opinion) because the tournament itself garners so much attention. Go to a college town where people care about the program and you'll be singing a different tune. You are always, regardless of sport, going to have your casual fans who don't pay attention until tournament time or playoff time just as you will have the fans who never miss a minute of the season.

Lastly, program success is based on more than the tournament. I, myself, hate how much emphasis is placed on the tournament but to suggest that success is based "entirely" on it is nothing short of asininity. I am rather proud to say that Kansas has more conference titles than anyone else in the history of NCAA DI Men's Basketball and it's certainly something that the University likes to advertise. I can sit here and go on about school records, the players and coaches who KU has produced, the coaches who have left their legacies there, etc... I'm not sure who you are talking to but success is measured by much more.

Energise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 04:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
Except for the Arizona schools and Colorado who are going to be playing almost brand new schedules.
It's great for Colorado, because the Big 12 South was always stronger anyways. They get a ton of air time now in Texas and Oklahoma where a lot of top recruits are. They're not as close though because they're not playing Kansas and K-St. Their rivalry with Nebraska would continue also.

As for Arizona, they were mostly irrelevant anyways. Neither school was consistently atop the Pac-10 and their only rivalries are with each other.

Kansas should join the Big East, since they're a basketball school.

Also maybe there is a possibility that TCU and Boise and some of the MWC schools leave and start a new conference with BCS ties. Imagine:

BYU (currently in WAC although that will change)
Utah
New Mexico
Boise State
K-State
Iowa State
TCU
Baylor
Colorado State

I mean it's still kind of second rate, but there's schools in there (KSU) who have been to the BCS by winning its championship, and some others always talked about as potential BCS mid-majors.

Old
06-10-2010, 05:00 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's great for Colorado, because the Big 12 South was always stronger anyways. They get a ton of air time now in Texas and Oklahoma where a lot of top recruits are.
Yeah, so they're going to go from struggling in a bad Big 12 North to being...what, the new Baylor for those 5 Big 12 South teams?

By the way, the closest team to them is Arizona State...850 miles away.

Enjoy those road trips tennis team! We all know you're not flying first-class!

Quote:
Kansas should join the Big East, since they're a basketball school.
Yeah, because you can look at a map and that makes sense.

I get the feeling college sports are just going to collapse under its financial weight in 10 years.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
In a straight line it's actually just over 550 miles from Boulder to Tempe. To Stillwater, it's just 525 miles, then Lubbock is about 480 away, they are the closest.

Old
06-10-2010, 05:53 PM
invictus

And it was just announced that KU's AD is resigning after this upcoming year. Sad times in Jayhawk-land.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 06:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

I get the feeling college sports are just going to collapse under its financial weight in 10 years.
Does it make sense for Boston College and Miami to be in the same Conference? USF in the Big East? Louisiana Tech in the WAC and having to play Hawaii?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 06:14 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Does it make sense for Boston College and Miami to be in the same Conference? USF in the Big East? Louisiana Tech in the WAC and having to play Hawaii?
College sports just needs to drop this whole "Power Conference" football nonsense and go to a regional promotion/relegation type format like they have in soccer. Winners of the 4 regions top groups in a playoff for the national title.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Alex Jones
WOKE

Quote:
Yeah, so they're going to go from struggling in a bad Big 12 North to being...what, the new Baylor for those 5 Big 12 South teams?

By the way, the closest team to them is Arizona State...850 miles away.

Enjoy those road trips tennis team! We all know you're not flying first-class!

Colorado's not really on the bandwagon for football in the now, per se..

You gotta realize, they're keeping a bum ass coach becasue they are broke, and short term thier prospects are losing...a lot, no matter where they are.

It make sense for the buffs because

1. They are gonna get more money out in the pac 10

2. They fit in better academically w/the Pac 10. for a while they've been a bit unhappy being in a confrence w/teams like k-state academically.

3. Colorado has more alummni in California than all other states (excluding colorado) combined. It fits perfectly, there have been people in the colorado camp wanting to go to the pac ten for years.

Alex Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Alex Jones
WOKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Could be.

I'm going to guess if they don't get an invite formally, they will be allowed to compete in the big ten or one of these conferences in BB, I just don't see them getting left out in the cold.

Old
06-10-2010, 07:21 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
Colorado's not really on the bandwagon for football in the now, per se..

You gotta realize, they're keeping a bum ass coach becasue they are broke, and short term thier prospects are losing...a lot, no matter where they are.

It make sense for the buffs because

1. They are gonna get more money out in the pac 10

2. They fit in better academically w/the Pac 10. for a while they've been a bit unhappy being in a confrence w/teams like k-state academically.

3. Colorado has more alummni in California than all other states (excluding colorado) combined. It fits perfectly, there have been people in the colorado camp wanting to go to the pac ten for years.
As a CU alum, everything above is true. Hopefully the TV deal and all goes through so we can ditch that hack Hawkins.

Old
06-10-2010, 07:43 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
And it was just announced that KU's AD is resigning after this upcoming year. Sad times in Jayhawk-land.
dont despair. if the SEC decides to join the expansion mayhem, Kansas would be a logical choice.

I would love to see KU and UK play every year...

whats going to be crazy is the domino effect... if the Big ten picks up a couple of Big East teams I would expect all the big conferences to try to go ahead and hit 16 now before they lose out. Could see the ACC losing a couple to the SEC and replacing them with Big East

How about an SEC with Georgia Tech and Clemson added to the East and Kansas and K-state added to the West...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Alex Jones
WOKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
dont despair. if the SEC decides to join the expansion mayhem, Kansas would be a logical choice.

I would love to see KU and UK play every year...

whats going to be crazy is the domino effect... if the Big ten picks up a couple of Big East teams I would expect all the big conferences to try to go ahead and hit 16 now before they lose out. Could see the ACC losing a couple to the SEC and replacing them with Big East

How about an SEC with Georgia Tech and Clemson added to the East and Kansas and K-state added to the West...
Adding teams like Kansas and K-state diminishes the SEC's football powerhouse standing. I see the SEC looking at the texas/oklahoma teams, along with the ACC.

supposedly A&M wants to go to the SEC, and i woudn't be surprised if others in that area do as well, I think Texas is the one team stringing them all along for the Pac-Ten.

Things will get intresting here. I think there is a real chance this whole "pac-16" doesn't ever come about, at least in the way were thinking of.

I would say that a Pac-14 would be more realistic, with one or two of the B12 teams going SEC or B10. IDK though..

Old
06-10-2010, 08:35 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
Adding teams like Kansas and K-state diminishes the SEC's football powerhouse standing. I see the SEC looking at the texas/oklahoma teams, along with the ACC.

supposedly A&M wants to go to the SEC, and i woudn't be surprised if others in that area do as well, I think Texas is the one team stringing them all along for the Pac-Ten.

Things will get intresting here. I think there is a real chance this whole "pac-16" doesn't ever come about, at least in the way were thinking of.

I would say that a Pac-14 would be more realistic, with one or two of the B12 teams going SEC or B10. IDK though..
I don't see why Texas/Oklahoma would go to the SEC. Academically, Texas fits in with the Pac 10 schools more so than the SEC. If the Pac 16 comes to fruition, it's going to rival if not exceed the SEC in terms of prestige and money but they'll be joining a conference with only one other current National Championship caliber program (USC) instead of the SEC with Alabama, Florida, LSU, etc.

The other schools are just riding coattails. Wherever Texas/OU go, they'll follow.