HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Conferences Play Musical Chairs (Boise stays in MWC)

Old
06-10-2010, 09:09 PM
rj

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Does it make sense for Boston College and Miami to be in the same Conference?
The vast, vast majority of ACC fans wish BC would just get kicked out or leave. They don't fit in at all and don't bring anything to the table (the Boston area has never cared about BC and never will). Our conference commissioner destroyed the best basketball conference in the country for this ***** and to bring in BC, Miami, and VT and it hasn't gained the conference anything in return. The expected higher profile in football has completely flopped. The money from the conference title hasn't materialized near the degree expected. The only good thing that came out of that expansion was VT, and the ACC commissioner didn't even want VT originally! He wanted Syracuse!

Last edited by rj: 06-10-2010 at 09:14 PM.
rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 10:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
The vast, vast majority of ACC fans wish BC would just get kicked out or leave. They don't fit in at all and don't bring anything to the table (the Boston area has never cared about BC and never will). Our conference commissioner destroyed the best basketball conference in the country for this ***** and to bring in BC, Miami, and VT and it hasn't gained the conference anything in return. The expected higher profile in football has completely flopped. The money from the conference title hasn't materialized near the degree expected. The only good thing that came out of that expansion was VT, and the ACC commissioner didn't even want VT originally! He wanted Syracuse!
That doesn't change the fact that BC is still in it. Your point was about geographical elements, not how viable BC is as a school itself within the conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
Adding teams like Kansas and K-state diminishes the SEC's football powerhouse standing. I see the SEC looking at the texas/oklahoma teams, along with the ACC.

supposedly A&M wants to go to the SEC, and i woudn't be surprised if others in that area do as well, I think Texas is the one team stringing them all along for the Pac-Ten.

Things will get intresting here. I think there is a real chance this whole "pac-16" doesn't ever come about, at least in the way were thinking of.

I would say that a Pac-14 would be more realistic, with one or two of the B12 teams going SEC or B10. IDK though..
So then Baylor just goes provided they get an invitation (which they would).

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
That doesn't change the fact that BC is still in it. Your point was about geographical elements, not how viable BC is as a school itself within the conference.

So then Baylor just goes provided they get an invitation (which they would).
I don't think Baylor would ever get an invite due to it's religious standing.

Helton4Hall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:10 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I don't think Baylor would ever get an invite due to it's religious standing.
They just hired Kenneth Starr, so that's out the window.

Old
06-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

I don't know if I heard it here or elsewhere, but apparently Baylor are trying to pull strings in the Texas state legislature to get any move with the "Big 3" Texas schools to include it.

You can see why Baylor would try to do that, but I just dont see that happening. Those three schools seem to wield all the power in this situation, and if Texas wants to go I dont see how they can be stopped. And im sure if the rumor about Berkley having misgivings about a school like Baylor are true, Texas wont jeopardize the whole thing for a school they seem to share only a state with.

Quote:
Adding teams like Kansas and K-state diminishes the SEC's football powerhouse standing. I see the SEC looking at the texas/oklahoma teams, along with the ACC.

supposedly A&M wants to go to the SEC, and i woudn't be surprised if others in that area do as well, I think Texas is the one team stringing them all along for the Pac-Ten.

Things will get intresting here. I think there is a real chance this whole "pac-16" doesn't ever come about, at least in the way were thinking of.

I would say that a Pac-14 would be more realistic, with one or two of the B12 teams going SEC or B10. IDK though..
Geographically, this makes alot of sense, but I dont see why getting KState (pretty balanced in its major programs) and Kansas (not great in FB but a legendary BB program) would put the SEC off that much. After all, they are willing to endure Kentucky football for their overall package, and had the until recently mediocre Vanderbilt.

If all this stuff does end up going down, I would love to see the Kansas schools move to the SEC.

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 02:18 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Texas and Texas A&M to the Big Ten?

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-to-join-sec/1

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 02:29 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

would Okie State go with OU or would Mizzou head to the SEC?

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
BC hasn't contributed anything to football since joining but has been decent in basketball. Had one bad year with Skinner and BAM he's fired. Other than that they have done pretty well in b-ball. But yeah, for football they are filled with mediocrity, their closest attempt to success was with a coach who was too lazy to follow basic instructions and got fired

Can pretty much agree with this sentiment that BC is the ***** of the ACC and no one likes them (in football)

As for ACC expansion...Junior Feinstein argues all the time that expansion sucks for ACC. Before Duke won he would point out how only one ACC team would go past the Sweet Sixteen in the tournament. As a VT fan I am kind of happy VT is in the ACC, but VT in the ACC has ensured that Carolina rivalry is decreased...some years WF and UNC barely play each other or play each other once a year. They used to play all the time pre-expansion.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Texture View Post
I don't know if I heard it here or elsewhere, but apparently Baylor are trying to pull strings in the Texas state legislature to get any move with the "Big 3" Texas schools to include it.

You can see why Baylor would try to do that, but I just dont see that happening. Those three schools seem to wield all the power in this situation, and if Texas wants to go I dont see how they can be stopped. And im sure if the rumor about Berkley having misgivings about a school like Baylor are true, Texas wont jeopardize the whole thing for a school they seem to share only a state with.

Geographically, this makes alot of sense, but I dont see why getting KState (pretty balanced in its major programs) and Kansas (not great in FB but a legendary BB program) would put the SEC off that much. After all, they are willing to endure Kentucky football for their overall package, and had the until recently mediocre Vanderbilt.

If all this stuff does end up going down, I would love to see the Kansas schools move to the SEC.
If the SEC chooses to expand to 16, I see them raiding the ACC. Maybe going after Texas, A&M, or the Oklahoma schools. I think first choice would be a bit closer to the other schools like FSU, GT, Miami, VT and possibly even West Virginia.

Georgia Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 07:33 AM
rj

Quote:
And the geography's crap. Their closest road game is Maryland. People are stretching so far now when the times are good, just imagine there's a decline in the future and how that'd affect everybody. And it's not like BC is a rich school in athletics. They can hardly sell out their tiny Chestnut Hill stadium as it is. Look at Colorado, they're just in a bad spot in the country because there's nothing around them, but their travel costs will increase (instead of regularly travelling to Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri; they're going to Arizona, Oklahoma, and Texas; so a change in degree). So the revenue in the long-term better increase to cover that, because before this expansion they had no money and they're in a BCS conference. And God forbid if we ever reach saturation in college sports, because then the revenues go down!

Quote:
As for ACC expansion...Junior Feinstein argues all the time that expansion sucks for ACC. Before Duke won he would point out how only one ACC team would go past the Sweet Sixteen in the tournament. As a VT fan I am kind of happy VT is in the ACC, but VT in the ACC has ensured that Carolina rivalry is decreased...some years WF and UNC barely play each other or play each other once a year. They used to play all the time pre-expansion.
Everyone played everybody pre-expansion. 9-team conference: everyone played each other in football and everyone played each other twice in basketball.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
According to SportsCenter Boise State will be making the jump to the Mountain West...and the Mountain West is instantly better than the Big East or ACC.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:54 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
would Okie State go with OU or would Mizzou head to the SEC?
I believe Mizzou is still waiting to get an invite from the Big 10.

Old
06-11-2010, 11:56 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Will the MWC get an automatic BCS bid if the Big 12 disbands?

Old
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Might not even have to take that long. If they have a balance of teams that warrant one, they get it. They just desperately need one of their other teams to play well this year in addition to the success the rest had in 09. Just a matter of time now, they will get an automatic bid.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
According to SportsCenter Boise State will be making the jump to the Mountain West...and the Mountain West is instantly better than the Big East or ACC.
About damn time Boise made the jump.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Now we wait for Notre Dame to move to the Big Ten

Old
06-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
The trickle down of this all is so ridiculous. All of a sudden Montana, who has had a hard-line on staying in the FCS because of financial reasons (needs to pull ~100 more scholarships and two more sports out of thin air with a shrinking budget) is an ideal replacement for Boise State in the WAC and the question isn't so much about will Montana jump up, but more of when.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276551

With Nebraska to Big 10 and Colorado gone, the Big 10 and Big 12 should just trade names.

Old
06-11-2010, 03:04 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276551

With Nebraska to Big 10 and Colorado gone, the Big 10 and Big 12 should just trade names.
What if they have to change them again next week?

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 03:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The trickle down of this all is so ridiculous. All of a sudden Montana, who has had a hard-line on staying in the FCS because of financial reasons (needs to pull ~100 more scholarships and two more sports out of thin air with a shrinking budget) is an ideal replacement for Boise State in the WAC and the question isn't so much about will Montana jump up, but more of when.
What's changed compared to the last time? It's not the first time we've talked about how Montana has a FBS-caliber school.

Old
06-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Good for Boise State to be playing in a more challenging conference. Should be interesting to see how things go.

Assuming they begin play in 2012. 2012's season should be one to look forward to.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Texture View Post

True, Vandy and Kentucky aren't exactly FB powerhouses, but there is a major differnce between having a couple softballs in your conference and having four of them. I just don't see K-state or Kansas in the SEC.

I could, however, see Kansas in the big ten...If Notre Dame and Mizzou make the jump, I could see Kansas making it 14 teams.

Old
06-11-2010, 05:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Just watched ESPN, apparently the Big Twen told the Big 12 that they're not going to invite anyone else from the Big 12, which means Missouri is about to get screwed.

Old
06-11-2010, 05:27 PM
invictus

Quote:
Just watched ESPN, apparently the Big Twen told the Big 12 that they're not going to invite anyone else from the Big 12, which means Missouri is about to get screwed.
I don't see how though. I mean, it isn't like the Big 12 is going to kick them out. If Texas decides to keep the league as is, it will go on. Or do you mean if the Big 12 South schools go to the Pac-10 that nobody will want to pick up Missouri?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
So Mizzou, Kansas, K-State, Baylor, Iowa State are just left standing???

5 Schools, no major suitors?? I doubt the SEC would consider inviting any of these programs, save for Mizzou and Kansas, and the PacTen has already passed them over.

I guess the Sunbelt or MWC could be an option??? The MWC and the BCS could get intresting if some of them go there.