HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Blade Patterns

Old
06-18-2010, 02:09 AM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Blade Patterns

The major manufacturers of hockey sticks these days are ignoring the growing demand for toe curves. Pro returns are the only way to get them these days and the demand has way outgrown the amount of them available. I'm considering doing something about it.

My question's are, which curve specifically would be most popular? Molds are expensive, only one would be available to start.

Would you be willing to try a noname blade to get a toe curve? What price range would you consider?

Also, I'm having trouble finding one to use for a mold. If you have a blade that you think would be popular (a broken 1 piece will work fine if the blade is intact) and are willing to sell it/lend it to me, maybe we can work something out. It might be worth your trouble to be able to get the pattern consistantly.

Ultimately it would be great to have a variety of curves available that are different from the Sakic/Lidstrom/Drury selections that are shoved down our throat. I really think there is a market for this, what do you think?

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 04:24 AM
sherwood sniper

I'll take a Drury / Kovalev over a toe curve any day of the week.

I know this isn't the reply you were looking for, but it's late, I'm drunk, and it's the truth.

sherwood sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think there is a RETAIL market, but I do think there's an online market.

IMO, the blades would have to be under $50 if people are going to buy an off brand. They'd have to be stiff and fairly durable. Tapered is probably the way to go.

As for the pattern, something like a Hossa or Kovalchuk would be the way to go (pro stock, not retail). Retail toe curves haven't been that great...the Shanahan wasn't much of a curve and the Smyth was a big mid curve basically.

I'd say if you took a Sakic profile blade (5.5. lie and round toe, rockered heel) and instead of being an open mid was a 1/2" to 5/8" slightly open toe curve, you'd sell a lot of them.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:30 AM
NomadFan

Very cool idea.

If you're in the market for "non-standard" curves, I've been looking high and low for a replica of this one pro-stock stick I saw (can't remember the team). It was basically a Lidstrom curve (i.e. open heel curve), but then it also had a closed toe curve. As a defenseman, I tend towards the heel curves, and the only deviation I've used from that is the Nash pattern from TPS, so I couldn't compare what the toe curve looked like. Only reason I didn't snag the stick to try out this "wacky" design is because it was a right hand shot, and I'm a lefty.

If an off-brand curve business is something you will seriously consider, keep us posted! Though I love the pattern, it does drive me insane that the options I always go for are the Lidstrom clones.

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Scurr

Thanks for the responses. This will definitely be an online buisness, I'm not looking to get too big with this. Also, I'm not sure I can get a stiff/durable blade made for under $50.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:58 PM
BLKHKhockey

I agree with the Kovalchuk/Hossa patterns; although, I'm not sure I want to give up my One95 blade.

BLKHKhockey is offline   Reply With Quote