HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

EA being EA....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2010, 05:19 PM
  #1
Static
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 17,462
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
EA being EA....

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1088621p1.html

Add 10 bucks to any used EA game if you want to play online. Cool.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:23 PM
  #2
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,271
vCash: 500
I'm really starting to get sick of game developers charging you extra for content that is already on the disc...

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
  #3
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,920
vCash: 500
Considering I only buy used sports games. EA can **** off.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
  #4
sTaMk0S
Registered User
 
sTaMk0S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
****

sTaMk0S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:30 PM
  #5
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
I'm really starting to get sick of game developers charging you extra for content that is already on the disc...
Has nothing to do with charging for content on the disc, this is charging for people playing online that don't buy the game at retail, but buy it used.

It's to encourage people to buy games new and support the publisher/developer, rather than buying used and giving all of that $40-50 to the retailer.

To play devils advocate of sorts, you are playing on EA servers for sports titles, owned and kept by EA and all of that good stuff. Why should EA let you play on their server for free when they didn't see a single cent of your money when you bought it?

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:30 PM
  #6
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 8,794
vCash: 0
Oh what the ****...

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 05:52 PM
  #7
SabresCanScore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Has nothing to do with charging for content on the disc, this is charging for people playing online that don't buy the game at retail, but buy it used.

It's to encourage people to buy games new and support the publisher/developer, rather than buying used and giving all of that $40-50 to the retailer.

To play devils advocate of sorts, you are playing on EA servers for sports titles, owned and kept by EA and all of that good stuff. Why should EA let you play on their server for free when they didn't see a single cent of your money when you bought it?

Because they did see all the money they got from the game. It is still the same CD and they did get paid for that CD/DVD/Blueray whatever.

Second. Because in order to play online you already have to pay per month.

Third because resale of an item you purchase is a legally protected right of the consumer.

SabresCanScore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:02 PM
  #8
The Kult
Registered User
 
The Kult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresCanScore View Post
Because they did see all the money they got from the game. It is still the same CD and they did get paid for that CD/DVD/Blueray whatever.

Second. Because in order to play online you already have to pay per month.

Third because resale of an item you purchase is a legally protected right of the consumer.
on Xbox yes, not PS3.

Either way this is a ******** idea. I understand that they're trying to make gamers buy games NEW but I mean cmon, sometimes you just have to buy them used.

On the bright side I only play NHL games online, and usually buy those new anyway. But if they decide to do this for upcoming non-sports games it will start pissing alot of people off

The Kult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:03 PM
  #9
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Has nothing to do with charging for content on the disc, this is charging for people playing online that don't buy the game at retail, but buy it used.

It's to encourage people to buy games new and support the publisher/developer, rather than buying used and giving all of that $40-50 to the retailer.

To play devils advocate of sorts, you are playing on EA servers for sports titles, owned and kept by EA and all of that good stuff. Why should EA let you play on their server for free when they didn't see a single cent of your money when you bought it?
EA really struck a great idea, for them of course.

Usually when you buy a product, all of the features of the product belongs to you. You can re-sell the product (and all of its features) in its entirety.

However, EA has separated the online features and made it its own product. It happens to be a "one time only" type of product, which you can't re-sell. In the end, all you can re-sell is the singleplayer features, and everyone must buy their own copy of the multiplayer features.

They're so smart.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:04 PM
  #10
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresCanScore View Post
Because they did see all the money they got from the game. It is still the same CD and they did get paid for that CD/DVD/Blueray whatever.

Second. Because in order to play online you already have to pay per month.

Third because resale of an item you purchase is a legally protected right of the consumer.
I can't speak for the third, i'm not a lawyer and I don't want to try to touch on customer rights.

As for the other two:

first: the publisher/developer only see's the money from the original sale to the retailer. If you buy the game, resell it back to the retailer and they go to resell it. Every time the retailer resells that game it is pure profit for the retailer. The publisher/developer does not get any piece of that pie.

second: thats an xbox live subscription service, has nothing to do with supporting EA's (or other companies for that matter) costs for upkeep on a server. That's paying for Microsoft's service upkeep for your gamertag, stats, etc.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:05 PM
  #11
SabresCanScore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
I can't speak for the third, i'm not a lawyer and I don't want to try to touch on customer rights.

As for the other two:

first: the publisher/developer only see's the money from the original sale to the retailer. If you buy the game, resell it back to the retailer and they go to resell it. Every time the retailer resells that game it is pure profit for the retailer. The publisher/developer does not get any piece of that pie.

second: thats an xbox live subscription service, has nothing to do with supporting EA's (or other companies for that matter) costs for upkeep on a server. That's paying for Microsoft's service upkeep for your gamertag, stats, etc.

I concede your second point there. But only one product was sold. It was sold back and fourth but in the end it was only one product sold and EA got the money from that product.

SabresCanScore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:05 PM
  #12
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!
 
Scottyk9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Rutherford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 24,884
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Get use to it. It's the digital age we're heading into. All developers will be doing it soon enough.

It sucks.

Scottyk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:17 PM
  #13
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Get use to it. It's the digital age we're heading into. All developers will be doing it soon enough.

It sucks.
Personally, i'm just waiting for everything to go digital. Hard drive spaces and internet speeds going up the way they are, we'll be into that territory in no time.

Being able to download games straight to your xbox/ps3 would avoid this problem altogether. No more used game sales (which is fantastic, **** the used game market) and piracy takes a hit due to better encryption and inability to copy discs (piracy will never go away completely). Steam is a fantastic model for this on the PC side and in theory, wouldn't be too hard to implement on console side.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:18 PM
  #14
Seguins Dragon*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In Carls Garage
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
I buy most my games new anyways... espically EA ones (mainly hockey and once every 3 years Tiger woods, even though its generally the same game)

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:19 PM
  #15
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius
 
The Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,664
vCash: 500
Damn, this sucks. Now I'm going to have to enter a code when I buy the game?

****.

The Dayvan Cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:27 PM
  #16
Toes
Registered User
 
Toes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,634
vCash: 500
For EA, this is a really smart move. They weren't earning any money from the used games sales.

It seems that EA is specifically targeting businesses like Gamestop now. Recently, there has been a lawsuit against Gamestop, suing them for selling games with cases that guarantees codes inside, when the previous owner had already used it.

Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:30 PM
  #17
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,168
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Personally, i'm just waiting for everything to go digital. Hard drive spaces and internet speeds going up the way they are, we'll be into that territory in no time.

Being able to download games straight to your xbox/ps3 would avoid this problem altogether. No more used game sales (which is fantastic, **** the used game market) and piracy takes a hit due to better encryption and inability to copy discs (piracy will never go away completely). Steam is a fantastic model for this on the PC side and in theory, wouldn't be too hard to implement on console side.
There's a good and bad side to the used game market. Bad side is how places like Gamestop and EB games aggresively buy & sell recently released games for like a mere $5 off the retail price, completely undercutting the developer and doing little for the customer.

Where it's good is refurbishing old games and gaming on a budget. Games have a shelf life of about 6 months to a year, after which they disappear off the new game shelf and can become hard to find. Additionaly, if you're say a college student like I was 5-7 years ago, or even worse still in public school, gaming can be an expensive and unaffordable hobby. That's where used games work, on a tight budget buying 1-5 year old games that you won't be able to find new anyways for $10-30.

That kind of ended with this current console generation though, and its Gamestop screwing things up more than the game companies.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:37 PM
  #18
Static
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 17,462
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toes View Post
For EA, this is a really smart move. They weren't earning any money from the used games sales.

It seems that EA is specifically targeting businesses like Gamestop now. Recently, there has been a lawsuit against Gamestop, suing them for selling games with cases that guarantees codes inside, when the previous owner had already used it.
What's funny is the Gamestop quote in article as them being exited to partner with EA in this "endeavor", when it's just going to increase sales of new games over used games, costing Gamestop cash. Its PR BS, but still funny.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:38 PM
  #19
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
There's a good and bad side to the used game market. Bad side is how places like Gamestop and EB games aggresively buy & sell recently released games for like a mere $5 off the retail price, completely undercutting the developer and doing little for the customer.

Where it's good is refurbishing old games and gaming on a budget. Games have a shelf life of about 6 months to a year, after which they disappear off the new game shelf and can become hard to find. Additionaly, if you're say a college student like I was 5-7 years ago, or even worse still in public school, gaming can be an expensive and unaffordable hobby. That's where used games work, on a tight budget buying 1-5 year old games that you won't be able to find new anyways for $10-30.

That kind of ended with this current console generation though, and its Gamestop screwing things up more than the game companies.
I am by far against the used game market mostly because I just can't support something that takes the money out of a hard working developers pocket. I am a member of the industry and know how much work goes into each game and to think that retailers such as Gamestop are turning such huge profits on someone else's hard work actually infuriates me to no end.

However, I do understand the approach from the budget gamer that doesn't necessarily have the money. I have no beef with the budget gamer, all of my beef is with the retailers that are taking money from the developers pocket. However, if you're getting a deal on the game you're playing, don't cry about having less services than full paying customers. That's just stupid, you should never expect to get more while paying less.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:52 PM
  #20
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
I think the last time i bought a used game was 8 years ago, so this doesn't effect me.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:58 PM
  #21
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Personally, i'm just waiting for everything to go digital. Hard drive spaces and internet speeds going up the way they are, we'll be into that territory in no time.

Being able to download games straight to your xbox/ps3 would avoid this problem altogether. No more used game sales (which is fantastic, **** the used game market) and piracy takes a hit due to better encryption and inability to copy discs (piracy will never go away completely). Steam is a fantastic model for this on the PC side and in theory, wouldn't be too hard to implement on console side.
I don't think it even remotely takes a chunk out of piracy. Yeah, it may reduce some of the "I'm gonna copy my friend's game" piracy - but at the same time - there's now ZERO need to copy disks, and figure out a way to make them work - because like you said, there is no disk. With the increase in digital copies, you're seeing an increase in widely available digitally cracked copies.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 07:01 PM
  #22
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I don't think it even remotely takes a chunk out of piracy. Yeah, it may reduce some of the "I'm gonna copy my friend's game" piracy - but at the same time - there's now ZERO need to copy disks, and figure out a way to make them work - because like you said, there is no disk. With the increase in digital copies, you're seeing an increase in widely available digitally cracked copies.
I'm more referring to games downloaded off of XBL and PSN, which would obviously need to be encrypted (the same way Steam encrypts their games). Would be a lot harder to pull the data off of a retail environment from a console and decrypt it, rather than trying to decrypt raw data off of your PC.

Sure, it's not hack proof. Pretty much nothing is. But it would take the physical aspect (copying DVD's) out of the picture.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 07:13 PM
  #23
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
I'm more referring to games downloaded off of XBL and PSN, which would obviously need to be encrypted (the same way Steam encrypts their games). Would be a lot harder to pull the data off of a retail environment from a console and decrypt it, rather than trying to decrypt raw data off of your PC.

Sure, it's not hack proof. Pretty much nothing is. But it would take the physical aspect (copying DVD's) out of the picture.
Ah, well in that case, I agree with you. However, as much as some gaming companies seem to want to kill off the PC, because there's less console piracy - if they do that, I think they'll find that console piracy becomes what PC piracy is today - and they'll have a smaller customer base to work with - so, I know it's a different topic, but I think companies like EA are cutting their own throats... in a long drawn out process.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 07:18 PM
  #24
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,168
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
I am by far against the used game market mostly because I just can't support something that takes the money out of a hard working developers pocket. I am a member of the industry and know how much work goes into each game and to think that retailers such as Gamestop are turning such huge profits on someone else's hard work actually infuriates me to no end.

However, I do understand the approach from the budget gamer that doesn't necessarily have the money. I have no beef with the budget gamer, all of my beef is with the retailers that are taking money from the developers pocket. However, if you're getting a deal on the game you're playing, don't cry about having less services than full paying customers. That's just stupid, you should never expect to get more while paying less.
Keep in mind I'm talking about older games here. If I want to play an old PC game like Knights of the Old Republic, I'm fine because I can get it on steam for $10. If I finally get myself a PS3 and want to play something like Valkyria Chronicles, I'm not going to find it new on a retail shelf and the game has devalued enough that if I can find it used I'm hardly getting a deal. Now if it was today I wouldn't even bother with EB Games, I'd just buy it new on Amazon or something with my credit card. When I was in college 6 years and without a credit card however I would be browsing the used game shelves hoping to find it. I wouldn't be concerned about who gets the money but rather I just want to play the game.

Now the services you're talking about are more to do with online multiplayer which is another matter entirely, though a growing one as more and more AAA titles are using it. Even then it's kind of debatable... if the initial purchase bought the bandwidth to play on the server, then even if the physical copy of the game changes hands it's still only providing online access to one customer. It's kind of a wierd setup, you purchase a game new and gain a physical copy of the game and the rights to play online, yet you can resell the game but the online rights remain in limbo?

Personally what I think this is about is the game companies dipping into the Game Stop 'Used games for $5 below new prices' sales revenue. With EA games that feature online content, Game Stop can no longer sell that game used for $5 less because as soon as the customers realize they have to spend another $10 to get online paying more in the end, they're going to get pissed off and eventually stop buying used. So now Gamestop is basically going to have to cut the used price to about $15 less than retail, as the game developers are taking $10 for themselves.

So in reality its kind of a cut throat corporate vs corporate move, that shouldn't really have much effect on the gamers. Personally I kind of like it, Gamestop and the like went for the eye gouge on developers with there new release used game sales, and the developers are now responding by kicking them in the balls. My own concern is that it doesn't effect budget gamers that rely on paying less for older games, not necessarily because its used vs new but rather just because its old.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 07:23 PM
  #25
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,024
vCash: 500
Used games are really starting to become a MAJOR problem in the gaming industry. This practice is going to be commonplace in a year or two. It sucks, but I would rather people who buy it used pay $10 than a smaller fee for everyone (new and used buyers).

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.