HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

EA being EA....

Old
05-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
As has been stated, there is a 7 day trial.
Well then I can just make a new PSN name every week and get around the whole payment thing, how are they going to enforce a 7 day trial period when it's so easy to make new names?

And I rent games I want to play and I play them until I get bored with them. I rented Killzone 2 and played that online for about 2 months before sending it back. I rented MAG and played that for a month, rented Bad Company and played it for a little over a month. If I can't play these games for longer than a week, I wouldn't even have rented any of them and would have never played them.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

I've never purchased a used game but most of you are really taking offense for something that won't affect you.

Like someone said, the retailer is the one that will be affected, not the consumer.

Not sure who it was but a few of you stated EBGames/Gamestop sells used games for just 5 dollars less on some games so obviously they will put their price down on that.

This will actually greatly benefit those that don't play online if EB games now sells it for 20 bucks less than NEW.

05-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
The value of a car is almost nothing by the time it's resold. Sure, the car company loses money, but it's a mere fraction of what it once cost... their loses are essentially irrelevant.
The $ return depends on how soon you sell the car - just like it depends on how soon you sell a new video game.

Also houses generally appreciate in value, but I guess that's why you removed that part of my post when you quoted me.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Trends Analyst
Across the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
I'm really starting to get sick of game developers charging you extra for content that is already on the disc...
Well then, you should go home today and try creating something, putting hours of blood, sweat and tears into it, and then give it away for free when you could probably make money off it.

I am not talking about the "content already on the disc" I am talking about the man hours spent to create the actual online content.

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosquito View Post
Well then, you should go home today and try creating something, putting hours of blood, sweat and tears into it, and then give it away for free when you could probably make money off it.

I am not talking about the "content already on the disc" I am talking about the man hours spent to create the actual online content.
Actual online content is on the disc...

Old
05-14-2010, 04:00 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
But supporting online play isn't on the disc. That's the weirdest argument I've ever heard. Totally ignoring the service aspect of online play because the code to access it is on the disc? That makes it an entitlement?

Please...

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Frankie Spankie

How many games actually even host their own servers? A lot of games have dedicated servers which the gamers host. And please, EA's servers are easily the worst. I have had nothing but problems playing EA sports games online. I wish they were dedicated because then maybe they'd work every time I want them to.

Old
05-14-2010, 05:35 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
How many games actually even host their own servers? A lot of games have dedicated servers which the gamers host. And please, EA's servers are easily the worst. I have had nothing but problems playing EA sports games online. I wish they were dedicated because then maybe they'd work every time I want them to.
It varies from game to game. Most (not all) sports titles have servers hosted by EA. As well as when playing racing games (like NFS: Shift or Burnout) online, the server is hosted by EA.

I just finished working on Dante's Inferno: Trials of St. Lucia DLC recently and I can tell you almost all of the content is hosted on an EA server from the maps created to the character information that is stored on the server.

Also, those lovely tickers at the bottom of all EA sports games run through an EA server as well. Not that it's very taxing on said server, just answering your question

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
The point is is that your stated "content on the disc" is meaningless. As I've gone into great detail explaining.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 02:37 AM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
You're still receiving some form of support without contributing to EA in any way, artificially extending the burden on EA's part per game sold. It affects EA's bottom line. Is it $10 per? Probably not, but that's not the point. I'd imagine your issue is having to pay at all. I'd prefer that the cost be more reasonable, but who knows, maybe it is close to $10 on average for each copy sold.

Old
05-18-2010, 02:36 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1090754p1.html

Looks like Ubisoft is considering jumping on the boat as well

Old
05-18-2010, 04:19 PM
leova

disgusting...

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 04:43 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
disgusting...
If you frequently buy used games, sure.

If not, it doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever, other than taking 2 minutes to put in like a 12 character code.

Old
05-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok but used games have pushed up the prices for new games. I remember when NHL 10 was around 59.99$, brand new. Now they have the used version on FutureShop for 54.99$ (they buy it off you for 30$ and less), and they're selling the new version (a couple of months before NHL 11) for 69.99$.

What the ****? That's ****ing disgusting.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 05:51 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Ok but used games have pushed up the prices for new games. I remember when NHL 10 was around 59.99$, brand new. Now they have the used version on FutureShop for 54.99$ (they buy it off you for 30$ and less), and they're selling the new version (a couple of months before NHL 11) for 69.99$.

What the ****? That's ****ing disgusting.
I haven't seen a single game (except special edition games or packages of the like) cost $70 before, especially for one that's nearing a year old.

I would complain to the manager or something there to ask why the hell they are charging so much for it. Has to be some sort of mistake because that's pretty absurd.

If game stores like GameStop just jack up the prices of new games, I just simply won't shop there anymore. Protest with your wallet.

Old
05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
I haven't seen a single game (except special edition games or packages of the like) cost $70 before, especially for one that's nearing a year old.

I would complain to the manager or something there to ask why the hell they are charging so much for it. Has to be some sort of mistake because that's pretty absurd.

If game stores like GameStop just jack up the prices of new games, I just simply won't shop there anymore. Protest with your wallet.
New games in Canada are often $69.99.

05-18-2010, 05:56 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
New games in Canada are often $69.99.
Thats pretty crappy to be honest. I haven't seen that anywhere here.

Then again, I usually buy my games from work, or through people that work for other companies, so they usually cost me only $20

Old
05-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Thats pretty crappy to be honest. I haven't seen that anywhere here.

Then again, I usually buy my games from work, or through people that work for other companies, so they usually cost me only $20
Considering Canadian dollar and US dollar have been on par for a while... but I doubt these companies will change anything. They're making record profit selling these games at 69.99$. Good thing I picked up my copy at 39.99$ in November.

Old
05-18-2010, 06:04 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Considering Canadian dollar and US dollar have been on par for a while... but I doubt these companies will change anything. They're making record profit selling these games at 69.99$. Good thing I picked up my copy at 39.99$ in November.
I hope by "these companies" you are referring to the retailers and not the publishers of said game. Because publishers don't see any difference at all if it was sold for $20 or $100 at retail.

Old
05-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
I hope by "these companies" you are referring to the retailers and not the publishers of said game. Because publishers don't see any difference at all if it was sold for $20 or $100 at retail.
Retail stores like Futureshop.

Old
05-18-2010, 06:49 PM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Link.

On par for a while? Over the course of this generation they've hovered between about on par and ~85% pretty much evenly. 85% of 70 is about 60. The market won't put up with fluctuating game prices (Gears of War cost me $70 but Halo 3 only cost $60, I'm not paying more than $60 for future games) so if the CAD stays with the USD for the majority of this generation you can expect some outrage if games cost $10 more in Canada. But don't expect them to drop to $60. It'd be more likely that they jump to $70 in the US, too.

Old
05-18-2010, 07:15 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
Link.

On par for a while? Over the course of this generation they've hovered between about on par and ~85% pretty much evenly. 85% of 70 is about 60. The market won't put up with fluctuating game prices (Gears of War cost me $70 but Halo 3 only cost $60, I'm not paying more than $60 for future games) so if the CAD stays with the USD for the majority of this generation you can expect some outrage if games cost $10 more in Canada. But don't expect them to drop to $60. It'd be more likely that they jump to $70 in the US, too.
I know next to nothing about the economics of the Canadian versus US currency valuations. Is it likely they will stay similar for a long time?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1090754p1.html

Looks like Ubisoft is considering jumping on the boat as well
I guess they gotta make money somehow.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Seems like a lot of people don't know the difference between a publisher and a retailer.

Its real hard to explain video game business to people who really don't know anything about games except you pull right trigger to shoot that man in the face.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I know next to nothing about the economics of the Canadian versus US currency valuations. Is it likely they will stay similar for a long time?
Well like I said, they've hovered between being equal and at ~85% at nearly 50% each over the last five years. The interactive chart has more data and shows how volatile the relationship is.

Wish I knew more so I could give you a better answer, but I don't know that any outcome could be considered likely right now.