HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovy/Hamhuis/Marleau

Old
05-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Kings man 4 life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
I'm looking at it this way:

Kovalchuk
OR
Marleau + #5 D-Man
OR
Sharp/Versteeg + Top 4 D-Man

Any of those i'd be content with.
Good over all with my preference highlighted.

Kings man 4 life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:28 AM
KingsCrown

I keep going back and fourth with this in my head.

Kovalchuk
Positives: gamebreaker, speed, goal scorer, always a threat on the ice and will take pressure away from Kopitar.
Negative: BIG CAP HIT, not a 2-way player, extends his shifts, players could become too reliant and overpass to him

Marleau
Adds much needed speed, can play our #2 center/wing and would probably be the best "fit".

Sharp
As much as Id like him to be a King, I just dont see the Hawks getting rid of him. They will trade Sopel, Versteeg, or even waive Huet or send him to the minors for cap relief rather than trade Sharp.

Versteeg
I could see him being the likely target and one that the Hawks will definitely look to unload. He would definitely make our top 6 better, but dont know if he is the answer to be a constant threat.

Hamhuis
Would love to see him on the Kings. He would play that #3 defenseman with JJ and be that steady and physical presence that we were lacking in the playoffs. Negative, he would want a long term contract and we would not be able to sign IK too.

If we go the IK route, then we could sign a lower cost defenseman to play the 3/4 spot like a Seidenberg, Leopold.

I see a few scenarios:

Sign IK 7-7.5M & a low cost UFA defenseman Seidenberg/Leopold 1.75-2.5M

Sign Marleau 6.5-7M & a low cost defenseman.

Trade for Versteeg 3M and sign Hamhuis 4-4.5M

Trade Stoll+ prospects/picks for a top 6 forward from a team looking for cap relief

Last edited by KingsCrown: 05-11-2010 at 11:49 AM.
KingsCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCrown View Post
I keep going back and fourth with this in my head.

Kovalchuk
Positives: gamebreaker, speed, goal scorer, always a threat on the ice and will take pressure away from Kopitar.
Negative: BIG CAP HIT, not a 2-way player, extends his shifts, players could become too reliant and overpass to him

Sharp
As much as Id like him to be a King, I just dont see the Hawks getting rid of him. They will trade Sopel, Versteeg, or even waive Huet or send him to the minors for cap relief rather than trade Sharp.

Versteeg
I could see him being the likely target and one that the Hawks will definitely look to unload. He would definitely make our top 6 better, but dont know if he is the answer to be a constant threat.

Hamhuis
Would love to see him on the Kings. He would play that #3 defenseman with JJ and be that steady and physical presence that we were lacking in the playoffs. Negative, he would want a long term contract and we would not be able to sign IK too.

If we go the IK route, then we could sign a lower cost defenseman to play the 3/4 spot like a Seidenberg, Leopold.

I see a few scenarios:

Sign IK 7-7.5M & a low cost UFA defenseman Seidenberg/Leopold 1.75-2.5M

Trade for Versteeg 3M and sign Hamhuis 4-4.5M

Trade Stoll+ prospects/picks for a top 6 forward from a team looking for cap relief
Are you not a Marleau fan?

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:46 AM
KingsCrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Are you not a Marleau fan?
Yeah, I forgot to add him. Ill do it now.

KingsCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Duc620

Maybe Lombardi's thinking about Kovalchuk is more radical than we imagine. Maybe DL's thinking that Kovy will be part of the core...that he can and will stay till the end of his career.

Then its Kopi, Schenn (maybe a year later) down the middle with Quick and Bernier in the net. With the obvious exceptions of Doughty, Brown, Simmonds, and maybe Johnson (depending upon his need to test the UFA market or play with Crosby), everybody else is a box filled. Pieces are added or changed as needed, as players develop, as long as the core is signed.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 12:08 PM
JDM

Exactly, if you are confident you can keep Brown, Kopi, Doughty, and the goalie of choice under contract along with Kovy for a long time, the rest really are pieces you plug in and out. Other guys like Simmonds, Greene, Johnson and Schenn should stick around for as long as you can keep them, but those other guys are your mainstays no matter what.

Keep drafting well to replace your third and fourth liners, middle and bottom pairing defenseman every 3-4 years as well as the occassional UFA plug.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Duc620

I liked your Kubina proposal....

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Ronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
I think 1 yr guaranteed, until DD, JJ, & Simmonds become free agents in '11, at which point we'd need to shed some serious depth b/c of salary cap. Then it becomes a question of how washed up guys like Symth become, cause I don't see people lining up to trade for his $6+mm cap hit.
That all depends on the situation rosterwise at that point. Smyths contract ends in 2 years I think, in which case he won't be an issue, infact most of the big contracts on this squad will be gone by then.

Ronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 12:41 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
If you can't get Kovalchuk, grab Volchenkov. Yes, that doesn't solve 5 on 5 but it does make this defense absolutely elite. After that, trade for a guy like Sharp. That's a contender right there, IMO.

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 01:12 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If they can package Stoll and other assets to TB to get St. Louis and ship Justin Williams off to Philadelphia for Simon Gagne (saves Philly some cap space) ... then dip into free agency to sign a physical forward and middle pairing defenseman at reasonable contracts, the Kings could ice a competitive squad.

Gagne-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Schenn-St. Louis
Richardson-Handzus-Simmonds
Clune/Clifford-Lewis-Westgarth/Parse

Scuderi-Doughty
Johnson-Aucoin
Voynov-Greene
Martinez/Drewiske/Harrold

Quick-Bernier

That's a mighty fine competitive team with a balanced lineup.
I love it. But it sounds too good to be true, and many don't think Voynov is ready.

I'm glad to see people talking about St. Louis though. I like him as player more than Kovalchuck. If he ends up forcing Tampa's hand, he could probably be had at a very reasonable price.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
St Looey has already proven one time that he doesn't travel well in regards to socal. He was miserable as a "mighty" duck, so much so that he ran home back to fla. i wouldnt gamble on him.
I think you are thinking of Vinny Prospal. St. Louis has been on Tampa forever.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
JDM

Gagne is soooooo money.

Old
05-11-2010, 02:40 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Let's take a look at some of these possibilities.

Add Kovalchuk:

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Clune-Lewis-Parse

Doughty-Scuds
JJ-Greene
Voynov-Drewiske
Harrold

Add Marleau + #5 D-Man

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Marleau-Stoll-Brown
Clune-Lewis-Parse

Doughty-Scuds
JJ-Greene
FA($2M-$3M)-Voynov
Harrold/Wiske

Add Versteeg/Sharp + Top 4 D-man

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
V/S-Stoll-Brown
Clune-Lewis-Parse

Doughty-Scuds
JJ-FA($4M+)
Greene-Voynov
Harrold/Wiske

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:43 PM
JDM

The thing with Kovy vs. Marleau is I think people are underestimating what Marleau will make as a UFA. He could easily net a 7million per year contract.

Old
05-11-2010, 02:47 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
The thing with Kovy vs. Marleau is I think people are underestimating what Marleau will make as a UFA. He could easily net a 7million per year contract.
Yeah. I think whichever signs first, the other will play off that.

Old
05-11-2010, 02:48 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

I'd like Gagne more if he wasn't injured so often and wasn't an UFA in '11.

It's also worth mentioning that he makes 5.25 now so, I would think he'd want something close to that. Kind of pricey imo.

HYORI 1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 03:00 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Semantics. Still, you said "OR". Meaning one of those two would happen. Black or white, no gray area.
Nah, not black and white at all. I didn't say one of those would happen. I said, one was highly more probable than the other. Big difference.

And, yes, there's gray area.

HYORI 1963 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
I think 1 yr guaranteed, until DD, JJ, & Simmonds become free agents in '11, at which point we'd need to shed some serious depth b/c of salary cap. Then it becomes a question of how washed up guys like Symth become, cause I don't see people lining up to trade for his $6+mm cap hit.
Take a look at the CAP numbers, study it a little bit and get creative. If, you put a great team together eventually you are going to lose some of your players but that is why you draft, develop, trade.

Doughty, Johnson, and Simmonds will be locked up. If, its not this offseason, it will be the next, and if its not next it will be the one after that. Don't forget they will only still be RFA's. Plus, these guys will be getting raises, not like they already don't have some type of CAP hit.

Handzus, Stoll, Smyth, Williams, McCauley's contract etc., is money that will come off the books the next 1-3 years (18M). If, Simmonds, Moller, Schenn and others can step up then their rolls will be filled. Also realistically the CAP will eventually rise...probably close to 60M in 2 or 3 years.

Anyways, as I have stated before anytime you add a Kovalchuk type player your going to have future "CAP issues" but the point is to build towards the CUP not have plenty of CAP space. Same goes for the Kopitar deal, Brown deal, Greene, Scuderi and the future DD, JJ, and Simmonds deals.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I agree, he will make at least 6 and probably closer to 6.5-7M. Add another 1-1.5M and give me the best UFA forward we have seen in years.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 03:52 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Seems to me that Kovalchuk is a 4 team race. I included reasons these team my not pursue Kovy so heavily.

LA- Could use a #4-5 D-Man, Dean Lombardi.
STL- Conklin is the only goaltender under contract, only have 3 D-Men under contract.
COL- Need to improve on the back end, can't expect Anderson to constantly stand on his head.
BOS- Only 9 skaters under contract.
DET- Lidstrom, only 10 skaters under contract.

That being said, I see STL going after Turco or Nabakov first. Colorado going after Hamhuis, Volchenkov or someone of that caliber. Boston going after multiple cheaper forwards due to a lack of depth(Sharp, Versteeg etc.).

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 05-12-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old
05-12-2010, 04:22 PM
johnjm22

Colorado has pretty much said they're not making any major FA signings.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 04:25 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Colorado has pretty much said they're not making any major FA signings.
Really? I was just basing this off of cap space, need, and contender.

Old
05-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Seems to me that Kovalchuk is a 4 team race. I included reasons these team my not pursue Kovy so heavily.

LA- Could use a #4-5 D-Man, Dean Lombardi.
STL- Conklin is the only goaltender under contract, only have 3 D-Men under contract.
COL- Need to improve on the back end, can't expect Anderson to constantly stand on his head.
BOS- Only 9 skaters under contract.

That being said, I see STL going after Turco or Nabakov first. Colorado going after Hamhuis, Volchenkov or someone of that caliber. Boston going after multiple cheaper forwards due to a lack of depth(Sharp, Versteeg etc.).
Maybe add Detroit to that list depending on Lidstrom.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 05:12 PM
JDM

I can't imagine Lidstrom demanding a lot of money. He will either retire or sign a deal that helps the Wings in pursuing whoever they want in FA. I bet Holland has no qualms walking up to Lidstrom and saying, "I want to take a run at Kovalchuk, but in order for me to do that, I can only pay you X amount.". And so long as Lidstrom feels he has the gas in the tank for another season saying "sure boss, whatever helps the team".

I could be wrong, but I just don't see Lidstrom having such an ego that he will insist on still being so highly paid if the Wings are right up against the cap.

Slightly OT, but does anyone remember when Kariya and Selanne signed ridiculously cheap deals just to play together in Colorado?

Old
05-12-2010, 05:13 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Maybe add Detroit to that list depending on Lidstrom.
Maybe. But I think he comes back, and they aren't really in a position to throw $8M at one forward. Having only 10 skaters under contract.