HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Looking for a fast DVD ripper

Old
05-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Kestrel

vCash: 500
Looking for a fast DVD ripper

Anyone out there know of any particularly fast DVD rippers that still maintain good video quality? I'm currently using WinX DVD Ripper Platinum - and it's not bad, but when I've got a quad core processor, and at most it takes one core to 65% load, and the other cores to a much smaller load, that's a lot of untapped processing power that should be able to make the process a lot quicker.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 07:46 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Anyone out there know of any particularly fast DVD rippers that still maintain good video quality? I'm currently using WinX DVD Ripper Platinum - and it's not bad, but when I've got a quad core processor, and at most it takes one core to 65% load, and the other cores to a much smaller load, that's a lot of untapped processing power that should be able to make the process a lot quicker.
You looking for a straight DVD image maker, or a ripper that will convert into a AVI/MPEG/Whatever file after ripping?

I use DVDshrink for the first. and Fair use wizard for the second. I honestly have no idea how fast either one is on quads though. Speed is not something I worry about on these things.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
You looking for a straight DVD image maker, or a ripper that will convert into a AVI/MPEG/Whatever file after ripping?

I use DVDshrink for the first. and Fair use wizard for the second. I honestly have no idea how fast either one is on quads though. Speed is not something I worry about on these things.
I'm converting to MPEG files. I'll have to check Fair Use Wizard out. I tried Xilisoft's DVD Ripper utility... it's even slower than the WinX DVD ripper, but manages smaller files while maintaining similar video quality. I'm just not a fan of only using 20 to 30 percent of my CPU's power if there's a way I can use it all, and go faster.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote