HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Name some ridiculous debates you have had with friends

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2010, 05:51 PM
  #26
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Parise vs. Crosby is a really common argument among Devils fans. They even chant "Parise's better" sometimes.
Yeah, I was there for both of their NHL games. Parise 1g, Crosby 1a and it began.

The chant still goes on, but I really pity the person who truly believes that Parise is better than Crosby. As much as I'd love for that to be true, it's just not.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 06:06 PM
  #27
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,176
vCash: 500
Damn, I thought I had seen everything with my friend who keeps arguing that Chelios Orr...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 08:10 PM
  #28
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,970
vCash: 500
Old-Timers

As a youngster playing hockey in the fifities, our organization had a few old-timers whose hockey experience preceded the NHL and/or who had worked at the Forum - stick boys / asst visiting team trainer. On trips we could usually get a few of them going comparing Lalonde to Morenz or Shore to Morenz, old time goalies, coaches, why certain guys never made it,etc.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:16 PM
  #29
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Does your buddy have a excuse as to why Sundin AND Nieuwendyk didn't get Toronto past the 2nd round in 2004?
Niewendyk would have gotten them to the promised land had Sundin not been in Toronto throwing the series, clearly.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:32 PM
  #30
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I would LOVE to see you try.

We should all be well past this by now.
Didn't say I necessarily agreed with it, but there are a minority of lists that have him ahead of him still. Personally I have always maintained that the next "big 4" of defense in NHL history is Potvin, Lidstrom, Robinson and Kelly. Potvin being first for me for sure with the rest reasonably close by

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:54 PM
  #31
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Damn, I thought I had seen everything with my friend who keeps arguing that Chelios Orr...
well he's got him on longevity, that's for damn sure.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:02 AM
  #32
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain
 
Blades of Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 18,369
vCash: 500
I just had to defend Patrick Roy's playoff career over on the playoffs board. Apparently he never showed the ability to win the Stanley Cup without a great team in front of him.

I see something new every day on this site.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:06 AM
  #33
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
I just had to defend Patrick Roy's playoff career over on the playoffs board. Apparently he never showed the ability to win the Stanley Cup without a great team in front of him.

I see something new every day on this site.
wow..........you'd think one Conn Smythe would be good enough, and he's the only one to ever win TWO!

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:33 AM
  #34
shazariahl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
We've all seen or been involved in the Gretzky vs Lemieux/Crosby/Ovechkin/whoever debates, but I specifically had to argue with a friend over whether or not Crosby would break most or all of Gretzky's assist records. I tried telling him how impossible it would be (he was talking actual record numbers too, not adjusted for era or anything) and trying to show him Gretzky's actual totals. He finally agreed that 163 assist in a season was probably unbeatable (!probably?!?!) but still think Crosby will take down Gretzky's career assists total.

Crosby better play NHL hockey at an elite level until his mid 50's...

shazariahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:34 AM
  #35
Nicklas Lidstrom
Registered User
 
Nicklas Lidstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
wow..........you'd think one Conn Smythe would be good enough, and he's the only one to ever win TWO!
Err... he's not. And he won three.

Nicklas Lidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 05:00 AM
  #36
Forsbergwannabe
Registered User
 
Forsbergwannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Odense Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg Zeppelin View Post
Err... he's not. And he won three.
Well he is the only player to with the Conn Smythe 3 times.

Anyway I love this thread keep them coming .

Forsbergwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:12 PM
  #37
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg Zeppelin View Post
Err... he's not. And he won three.
Yeah, my bad. And it just proves the point even more.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 02:33 PM
  #38
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,724
vCash: 500
The same "friend" who claimed he'd take Hal Gill over Gretzky was on a high Wednesday night. He cranked it up a notch. Now we all know that every player who's ever gotten out of the 2nd round of the playoffs is legendary right? Well apparently he had to think about it when asked who he would start his franchise with, Gill..................or BOBBY ORR!

He then took it up another notch and tried to make points proving the worth of Gill by mentioning how he blocks shots and just shut down Ovechkin and Crosby (he hates Crosby with a passion by the way and would sooner have Jeff Carter among others on his team). I mentioned to him that while Gill has been impressive the truth is there is a phonebook full of players who manage to play out of their minds for a playoff stretch but go back to being mediocre once the seasons starts. The true stars are elite and do this game after game, season after season. I tried saying that Gill has never shown this in 13 years of being in the NHL and that he could never do this over an 82 game season.

He stated that it all depended on a "teams needs" whether they would want Gill or Orr. Yeah, Bobby freaking Orr! I told him EVERYONE would need an Orr on their team.

"But Gill blocked shots!"

"Well Orr was even better defensively than Gill is right now and won scoring titles"

To no avail, it was HIS opinion and I should respect that

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:26 PM
  #39
Scott1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
It's not my friends, but it's a relative of mine...about Malkin's age. Anyways...he insists that many of Gretzky's assist were "cheap second assists!"

Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:41 PM
  #40
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1980 View Post
It's not my friends, but it's a relative of mine...about Malkin's age. Anyways...he insists that many of Gretzky's assist were "cheap second assists!"
Well they were, we all know that Semenko were the true playmaker in those Oilers teams

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:44 PM
  #41
Scott1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Well they were, we all know that Semenko were the true playmaker in those Oilers teams
Riggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggght!



Last edited by Scott1980: 05-14-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: g not showing up
Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 07:10 PM
  #42
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The same "friend" who claimed he'd take Hal Gill over Gretzky was on a high Wednesday night. He cranked it up a notch. Now we all know that every player who's ever gotten out of the 2nd round of the playoffs is legendary right? Well apparently he had to think about it when asked who he would start his franchise with, Gill..................or BOBBY ORR!

He then took it up another notch and tried to make points proving the worth of Gill by mentioning how he blocks shots and just shut down Ovechkin and Crosby (he hates Crosby with a passion by the way and would sooner have Jeff Carter among others on his team). I mentioned to him that while Gill has been impressive the truth is there is a phonebook full of players who manage to play out of their minds for a playoff stretch but go back to being mediocre once the seasons starts. The true stars are elite and do this game after game, season after season. I tried saying that Gill has never shown this in 13 years of being in the NHL and that he could never do this over an 82 game season.

He stated that it all depended on a "teams needs" whether they would want Gill or Orr. Yeah, Bobby freaking Orr! I told him EVERYONE would need an Orr on their team.

"But Gill blocked shots!"

"Well Orr was even better defensively than Gill is right now and won scoring titles"

To no avail, it was HIS opinion and I should respect that
Wow.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.