HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Name some ridiculous debates you have had with friends

Old
05-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Parise vs. Crosby is a really common argument among Devils fans. They even chant "Parise's better" sometimes.
Yeah, I was there for both of their NHL games. Parise 1g, Crosby 1a and it began.

The chant still goes on, but I really pity the person who truly believes that Parise is better than Crosby. As much as I'd love for that to be true, it's just not.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 06:06 PM
MXD

Damn, I thought I had seen everything with my friend who keeps arguing that Chelios Orr...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Canadiens1958

Old-Timers

As a youngster playing hockey in the fifities, our organization had a few old-timers whose hockey experience preceded the NHL and/or who had worked at the Forum - stick boys / asst visiting team trainer. On trips we could usually get a few of them going comparing Lalonde to Morenz or Shore to Morenz, old time goalies, coaches, why certain guys never made it,etc.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:16 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Does your buddy have a excuse as to why Sundin AND Nieuwendyk didn't get Toronto past the 2nd round in 2004?
Niewendyk would have gotten them to the promised land had Sundin not been in Toronto throwing the series, clearly.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I would LOVE to see you try.

We should all be well past this by now.
Didn't say I necessarily agreed with it, but there are a minority of lists that have him ahead of him still. Personally I have always maintained that the next "big 4" of defense in NHL history is Potvin, Lidstrom, Robinson and Kelly. Potvin being first for me for sure with the rest reasonably close by

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Damn, I thought I had seen everything with my friend who keeps arguing that Chelios Orr...
well he's got him on longevity, that's for damn sure.

Old
05-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

I just had to defend Patrick Roy's playoff career over on the playoffs board. Apparently he never showed the ability to win the Stanley Cup without a great team in front of him.

I see something new every day on this site.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
I just had to defend Patrick Roy's playoff career over on the playoffs board. Apparently he never showed the ability to win the Stanley Cup without a great team in front of him.

I see something new every day on this site.
wow..........you'd think one Conn Smythe would be good enough, and he's the only one to ever win TWO!

Old
05-12-2010, 12:33 AM
shazariahl

We've all seen or been involved in the Gretzky vs Lemieux/Crosby/Ovechkin/whoever debates, but I specifically had to argue with a friend over whether or not Crosby would break most or all of Gretzky's assist records. I tried telling him how impossible it would be (he was talking actual record numbers too, not adjusted for era or anything) and trying to show him Gretzky's actual totals. He finally agreed that 163 assist in a season was probably unbeatable (!probably?!?!) but still think Crosby will take down Gretzky's career assists total.

Crosby better play NHL hockey at an elite level until his mid 50's...

shazariahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:34 AM
Nicklas Lidstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
wow..........you'd think one Conn Smythe would be good enough, and he's the only one to ever win TWO!
Err... he's not. And he won three.

Nicklas Lidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 05:00 AM
Forsbergwannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg Zeppelin View Post
Well he is the only player to with the Conn Smythe 3 times.

Anyway I love this thread keep them coming .

Forsbergwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg Zeppelin View Post
Yeah, my bad. And it just proves the point even more.

Old
05-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Big Phil

The same "friend" who claimed he'd take Hal Gill over Gretzky was on a high Wednesday night. He cranked it up a notch. Now we all know that every player who's ever gotten out of the 2nd round of the playoffs is legendary right? Well apparently he had to think about it when asked who he would start his franchise with, Gill..................or BOBBY ORR!

He then took it up another notch and tried to make points proving the worth of Gill by mentioning how he blocks shots and just shut down Ovechkin and Crosby (he hates Crosby with a passion by the way and would sooner have Jeff Carter among others on his team). I mentioned to him that while Gill has been impressive the truth is there is a phonebook full of players who manage to play out of their minds for a playoff stretch but go back to being mediocre once the seasons starts. The true stars are elite and do this game after game, season after season. I tried saying that Gill has never shown this in 13 years of being in the NHL and that he could never do this over an 82 game season.

He stated that it all depended on a "teams needs" whether they would want Gill or Orr. Yeah, Bobby freaking Orr! I told him EVERYONE would need an Orr on their team.

"But Gill blocked shots!"

"Well Orr was even better defensively than Gill is right now and won scoring titles"

To no avail, it was HIS opinion and I should respect that

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Scott1980

It's not my friends, but it's a relative of mine...about Malkin's age. Anyways...he insists that many of Gretzky's assist were "cheap second assists!"

Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:41 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1980 View Post
It's not my friends, but it's a relative of mine...about Malkin's age. Anyways...he insists that many of Gretzky's assist were "cheap second assists!"
Well they were, we all know that Semenko were the true playmaker in those Oilers teams

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Scott1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Well they were, we all know that Semenko were the true playmaker in those Oilers teams
Riggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggght!

Last edited by Scott1980: 05-14-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: g not showing up
Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 07:10 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The same "friend" who claimed he'd take Hal Gill over Gretzky was on a high Wednesday night. He cranked it up a notch. Now we all know that every player who's ever gotten out of the 2nd round of the playoffs is legendary right? Well apparently he had to think about it when asked who he would start his franchise with, Gill..................or BOBBY ORR!

He then took it up another notch and tried to make points proving the worth of Gill by mentioning how he blocks shots and just shut down Ovechkin and Crosby (he hates Crosby with a passion by the way and would sooner have Jeff Carter among others on his team). I mentioned to him that while Gill has been impressive the truth is there is a phonebook full of players who manage to play out of their minds for a playoff stretch but go back to being mediocre once the seasons starts. The true stars are elite and do this game after game, season after season. I tried saying that Gill has never shown this in 13 years of being in the NHL and that he could never do this over an 82 game season.

He stated that it all depended on a "teams needs" whether they would want Gill or Orr. Yeah, Bobby freaking Orr! I told him EVERYONE would need an Orr on their team.

"But Gill blocked shots!"

"Well Orr was even better defensively than Gill is right now and won scoring titles"

To no avail, it was HIS opinion and I should respect that
Wow.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote