Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Saint John Sea Dogs Off-Season Thread

Old
05-11-2010, 02:00 PM
torontosports10

vCash: 500
Saint John Sea Dogs Off-Season Thread

Great season boys, but no time like the present to look forward to next year!

Returning Roster:

Stephen MacAulay
Jonathan Huberdeau
Steven Anthony
Danick Gauthier
Aidan Kelly
Zack Phillips
Tomas Jurco
Stanislav Gailev
Simon Despres
Gabriel Bourret
Kevin Gagné
Pierre Durepos
Nathan Beaulieu

20 year olds:
Mike Kirkpatrick
Yann Sauve
Karel St-Laurant
Christian Morin
Nick Pard
Mike Thomas

(Expecting Kirky,Thomas and Pard back)

My potential lineup:

Gailev-Kirkpatrick-Jurco
Huberdeau-Anthony-Phillips
Pard-Gauthier-Thomas
Kelly-MacAuly-Oke

Despres-Gagne
Beaulieu-Durepos
Bourret-Sock

Tingley
Spear

Definalty need to pick up a tendy. If Sauve comes back then the same back-end is back for another go-around and that would look unreal. I think we would see Pard get dealt.

Draft Picks:
1st rounder
3rd rounder, 3rd rounder
4th roounder
5th rounder,5th rounder
6th rounder
7th rounder
8th rounder, 8th rounder
9th rounder, 9th rounder
10th rounder
11th rounder

Any news,thoughts or opinions can be posted here all summer long!

torontosports10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Scoutguy77

Should be interesting

I think you will see Anthony gone and Pard gone and possibly one of our young Defence..reason--Anthony needs a change, Pard... your 20's have to be leaders and I dont hink you can keep all of the 17 year old defence happy--wish you could, LOL !

Additions--a bigger body to play top 6 minutes(preferably a 91 so he can come back the following year as an overager), obviously a goalie so some of the above will be packaged.

Scoutguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 09:02 AM
hfboardfanatic

Returning as 20yo: Kirkpatrick, Thomas, Morin

Possible changes:
One or 2 of the 17yo on defence will be moved
Gauthier - trade
Pard - trade

Additions:
Trades
draft pick

Possible line combinations:
Galiev/Kirkpatrick/Jurco
Huberdeau/Phillips/Anthony
Kelly/MacAuly/Thomas
draft/addition/oake

Despres/Gagne
Beaulieu/Durepos
Bourret/Moirin
Sock

hfboardfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Scoutguy77

Think you are 99.9 correct, think Anthony could be moved too, but he is a guy who could play his 20 and really think he still has a nice upside.

Old
05-14-2010, 06:23 AM
habs2

If they do decide to move one of the 17 year old d-man it will probably be Beaulieu as it was rumured that he wanted out at xmas and he is a one dimension defence( offensive ) Despres,Gagne & Durepos are very good offensively. Can't see trading Gauthier but could see tradind Anthony.

habs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 08:44 AM
torontosports10

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs2 View Post
If they do decide to move one of the 17 year old d-man it will probably be Beaulieu as it was rumured that he wanted out at xmas and he is a one dimension defence( offensive ) Despres,Gagne & Durepos are very good offensively. Can't see trading Gauthier but could see tradind Anthony.
Beaulieu is projected to be a top 2 round pick in 2011 and would be a big piece for 2012 mem cup hosting. Unless we get a great forward that will be here in 2012, I dont see them moving him.

Old
05-14-2010, 07:54 PM
DTUCKER16

So why is everyone assuming Sauve wont be back. he hasn't igned a deal with Vancouver. He only really turned in on late.i would'nt have Morin back as a 20 when sauve will be out there.

DTUCKER16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:37 PM
DwightKSchrute

What about Will Johnston? He has great hands and can fight any heavyweight.

DwightKSchrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:49 PM
torontosports10

No team will use him as a 20 year old tho.

Old
05-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTUCKER16 View Post
So why is everyone assuming Sauve wont be back. he hasn't igned a deal with Vancouver. He only really turned in on late.i would'nt have Morin back as a 20 when sauve will be out there.
Vancouver would be foolish not to sign Sauve. He and Connauton are their current D of the future.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Bjindaho

Thomas is better off playing in the ECHL where he won`t get idiotic penalties for being strong.

Using hfboardfanatic`s template:

Returning as 20yo: Kirkpatrick, Pard, Morin

Possible changes:
Anthony or Gauthier - trade for a front line goalie

Additions:
Trade
draft picks

Possible line combinations:
Galiev/Kirkpatrick/Jurco
Huberdeau/Gauthier/Phillips
Kelly/MacAuly/Thomas
Manno/Draft Pick or Langan/Oke

Durepos/Despres
Beaulieu/Gagne
Bourret/Moirin
Sock

Trade (preferably Corbeil or Roy)
Tingley

Old
05-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Scoutguy77

line up

You have Thomas in your projected line up giving us 4-20's..move Oake up to the third group, and you are close, although I think we will add someone to play with the kids that is an impact guy and thus Gauthier will be moved, IMO..if gauthier is kept thats good too as i think he has a nice upside espically if given the chance to play a more offensive role and certainly with Huberdesau/Phillips he get some offensive chances

Old
05-27-2010, 05:40 AM
torontosports10

Lot of talk of Gallant possibly going on to coach the Lighting. He has close ties with Stevie Y so anything is possible I guess, but Id love not to see it happen until after 2012

Old
06-05-2010, 06:41 PM
xMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosseguy View Post
You have Thomas in your projected line up giving us 4-20's..move Oake up to the third group, and you are close, although I think we will add someone to play with the kids that is an impact guy and thus Gauthier will be moved, IMO..if gauthier is kept thats good too as i think he has a nice upside espically if given the chance to play a more offensive role and certainly with Huberdesau/Phillips he get some offensive chances
I doubt Thomas will be back. Philly will move him to a men's league. There's no point in playing in the Q with the treatment he gets. I don't see Pard returning either. You want leadership out of your 20's. Depending on how the young goalies play in camp, St. Laurent may be limited too. Why waste a 20 spot on him? Let kids develop for 2012.

Guathier won't move. He's a solid 2-way player. This team needs his size and toughness.

I agree Oke has a great chance of moving up. I can see him as a power forward on line 2 by year's end but probably a regular 3rd liner..

xMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Bjindaho

Assuming Kirky, Pard and Morin as 20s, I could see a lineup like:

Huberdeau - Kirkpatrick - Jurco
Galiev - Phillips - Anthony
MacAuley - Gauthier - Pard
Tesink - Kelly - Oke
Oliver-Dares and Manno as spares

Durepos - Despres
Gagne - Beaulieu
Morin - Bourret
Sock

Eiserman (or trade for someone cheap like Nadeau)
Auger or Tingley

Old
06-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Bjindaho

I really hate that lineup I just posted.

Assuming Kirky, Morin and a 20 year-old goalie:

Huberdeau - Kirkpatrick - Jurco
Galiev - Gauthier - Anthony
MacAuley - Phillips - Tesink
Oliver-Dares - Kelly - Oke
Manno

Durepos - Despres
Gagne - Beaulieu
Morin - Bourret
Sock

20 year-old (possibly KSL)
Auger or Tingley

Old
06-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Scoutguy77

Here is my take, actually liked your first line up,

Galiev-Kirk-Jurco
Huberdeau-Phillips- Anthony
Macauley-Gauthier-Kelly
Oake-Tesnik- Manno(Pard and or Thomas-will be moved for a younger guy to fit in here-Dares is not ready)..remeber we are supposed to be building for next year young guys gotta play key minutes, supriesed Anthony not moved-Gauthier is a checker always be a very very good 3rd line guy-not enough offensive upside to play top 6 minutes PLUs In a Mem cup year the following one 2012 he is not impactful enuff to have as a 20, IMO--just cant se them keeping Pard/Thomas who are 3rd 4th line type guys..Kelly/Tesnik gotta play as they are key pices towards 2012.
Defence you have perfect IMO--the American kid is very god, young and big, our goalie of the future for sure !

Old
06-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Alpine

Does Zach Cahill have a shot? He was selected in the 09 draft and had pretty good season with the AAA Flyers.

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:58 PM
jefff

I wouldn't count out Devon Oliver Dares. I know it would be a long shot to crack this Seadogs lineup but this kid is a great athlete. In his rookie year in the NSMMHL he had 40 points in 30 games and he played on my brothers ball team (the coach) and he was throwning 77mph as a 13 yr old. Don't be susprised if...

jefff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 08:47 AM
connellkid

My potential lineup:

Forwards:

Gailev - Kirkpatrick - Jurco
Huberdeau - Phillips - Anthony (if he isnt traded)
MacCauley - Gauthier (if he isnt traded to restack the cupboard for 2012 - Tesink
Kelly- Manno - Oke

Extra players that can compete hard for spots in camp are :

Oliver - Dares, Gino Goguen, Patrick Pettigrew, or a Free Agent that Gerrard and Mike might have gone out to get over the summer.

Defencemen:

Despres-Gagne
Beaulieu-Durepos
Bourret-Morin

Sock
Paliotta

Sock and Paliotta (if he decides to leave the USNTD) another player that could battle for the last dman spot is Guillaume Cloutier. He seems like a long shot to make it as I have heard the Paliotta is very very good.

Morin would be a good fit here as a 20 year old because he brings that tenacity and sand paper effect that we needed at christmas time. This kid is a shot blocking machine and will hit anything in site. Would he accept a trade and go back to Halifax and play there for his final year at the major junior level? He would provide the leadership and he would play a key role in helping the Moose step up this year and compete.

Goaltenders:

Corbeil (or STL if we dont trade for a tendy)
Eiserman or Auger

Eiserman seems like he is a solid goaltender and with some experience this year if Kelly and Co. can get him to report could be the starter with the Dogs in 2011-2012 when they hopefully host the mem cup. If that is the case then Auger would come in and be the backup netminder to him. To me that sounds like a pretty decent tandem in 2011-2012.

connellkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:55 AM
MonticelloSE

Good discussion, now let me throw a wrench in it.
What about Gagne at forward, point on the power play and can move him back to the blueline if there's an injury? I don't see the Puppies parting with Beaulieu; his overall game is rounding into shape. Bourret and Durepos showed significant improvement. Tyrone Sock was last cut and had a good year. Morin is the sandpaper mentor for the younger players. Despres as a 19 can command a big price at trade time but I see him starting the year in Saint John.
Now that they have signed him, Vancouver needs to get Sauve into a pro league where he will either do what they want him to do, or he will see his sorry butt at the end of the bench or in the Press Box. The inconsistency of his performance is caused by his inflated ego getting in the way of his talent. If Van City sends him back, SJ should pursue a trade and not for another 20.
Mike Thomas, for whatever reason, has been blackballed by the Q League and should start pursuing his hockey employment in the pros. The poor kid can't breathe on another player, let alone one wearing the sweater of their nearest rival, without drawing a penalty and suspension. He needs a new start for his own good.
Steven Anthony played himself off the top line last year, has not put his game together and has not played to all the hype he had as a 1st round pick. Put no weight in his 7th round selection by the Canucks--it was a "C'mon, the taxi's waiting" pick at the Centre Bell. He is trade bait. If his game improves after a trade, you chalk it up to what did he do here?
If they're serious about hosting the Memorial Cup, SJ should carry as few 20's as possible in 10-11 so as to develop the core of the team for 11-12 and showcase younger players for a potential trade deadline deal to put them over the top in 11-12.

MonticelloSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:24 AM
TheRookie

Just a few comments regarding the lineup ...

If the Sea Dogs want to trade Despres & Kirkpatrick they should do it by the end of training camp ... we have the potential to be the top team in our division and should we reach that position trading away your top 2 players at the forward and defense position will be very tough to explain to the local fanbase.

When it comes to forwards it really comes down to who are the (3) 20 year old players going to be? We could be having all 3 spots go to forwards hard to say ...

(BTW Patrick Pettigrew has been released and I wouldn't rule out spot duty given to Oliver-Dares with his share of games spent in the stands it happens and covering for injured players)

On defense ...

There are 5 spots all but locked up

Gagne-Beaulieu-Despres-Durepos-Bourret

Keep in mind that Sock will likely make the team and the team drafted 17 year old Guillaume Cloutier this year in the 3rd RD which leads me to believe that Morin is likely to be either dealt or released.

Goaltending ...

Right now gotta think it's KSL as a 20 in net ... Sorry but I'm thinking this isn't good for now OR the future development of another goaltender.

I don't see Auger here until probably 2012-13 based on what I've heard about him but we'll see hope he proves the sceptics wrong

Just to touch on the American players quickly ...

Eiserman is committed to U of Mass Lowell where his brother is playing ... That doesn't mean other players haven't been committed to going to NCAA schools in the past but his brother platying there doesn't help matters.

Paliotta wore the "A" for the U17 Challenge and is being scouted by several NCAA school including Michigan ... Gonna be hard to pry him away too but stranger things have happened. BTW as a side note his size is wrong on the Q draft page it said he was 6' 0" 170lbs that's wrong he's 6' 4" 185lbs.

TheRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:33 PM
DTUCKER16

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead506 View Post
Just a few comments regarding the lineup ...

If the Sea Dogs want to trade Despres & Kirkpatrick they should do it by the end of training camp ... we have the potential to be the top team in our division and should we reach that position trading away your top 2 players at the forward and defense position will be very tough to explain to the local fanbase.

When it comes to forwards it really comes down to who are the (3) 20 year old players going to be? We could be having all 3 spots go to forwards hard to say ...

(BTW Patrick Pettigrew has been released and I wouldn't rule out spot duty given to Oliver-Dares with his share of games spent in the stands it happens and covering for injured players)

On defense ...

There are 5 spots all but locked up

Gagne-Beaulieu-Despres-Durepos-Bourret

Keep in mind that Sock will likely make the team and the team drafted 17 year old Guillaume Cloutier this year in the 3rd RD which leads me to believe that Morin is likely to be either dealt or released.

Goaltending ...

Right now gotta think it's KSL as a 20 in net ... Sorry but I'm thinking this isn't good for now OR the future development of another goaltender.

I don't see Auger here until probably 2012-13 based on what I've heard about him but we'll see hope he proves the sceptics wrong

Just to touch on the American players quickly ...

Eiserman is committed to U of Mass Lowell where his brother is playing ... That doesn't mean other players haven't been committed to going to NCAA schools in the past but his brother platying there doesn't help matters.

Paliotta wore the "A" for the U17 Challenge and is being scouted by several NCAA school including Michigan ... Gonna be hard to pry him away too but stranger things have happened. BTW as a side note his size is wrong on the Q draft page it said he was 6' 0" 170lbs that's wrong he's 6' 4" 185lbs.
Thanks fr the updates because there sure hasn't been anything in the local news in Saint John.
i agree we sure have issues in net......KSL isn't the guy

DTUCKER16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTUCKER16 View Post
Thanks fr the updates because there sure hasn't been anything in the local news in Saint John.
i agree we sure have issues in net......KSL isn't the guy
You won`t get too many arguments on that one...heck of a guy, but hasn`t developed the way we hoped. Hopefully Eiserman shows up because they`d likely given him at worst the same treatment Mayer got when he came (one on, one off til he proves that he should or should not be starter).

Paliotta has to be considered a significant longshot at this point. He is almost a certainty to play for the USNTDP U-18 team this year. He might be swayed next year to join the Memorial Cup hosts (if SJ wins the bid, which is still in great question at this point), but that looks like the only scenario that has a chance of working.