HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Jagr to Czech NHL players: They should be kissing ass of guys like Reichel and Dopita

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Jack Bauer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
It's an insult to ask him now. That's why Canada did not ask MSL to play the WHC. "Your not good enough for the Olympics but we want you now"

Czechs should have known better to insult Hudler by asking. Follow Canadas example
I don't think that's it necessarily.

I think Hockey Canada treats its veteran players with great respect and gives a player like St. Louis or Lecavalier the chance to say no behind closed doors rather then try and strong arm players into something they're not mentally into.

Like it or not in an Olympic year the WHC has very little meaning to North Americans, that's why Canada's team is very young and goaltending the weakest I can ever remember a team Canada having in terms of depth.

Old
05-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfire View Post
What's behind those words: NHL recruting is entirely meritocratic and thus far from being a system that truly finds the best talent.
Interesting comment. I think though where there is smoke there is fire: if a team wins a medal at the Worlds it must mean they are developing talent. I don't think there are many diamonds in the rough in Belgium that are being missed.

Old
05-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's an insult to ask him now. That's why Canada did not ask MSL to play the WHC. "Your not good enough for the Olympics but we want you now"

Czechs should have known better to insult Hudler by asking. Follow Canadas example

If everyone thought like that then no one would have a full roster.

05-11-2010, 09:36 PM
KaylaJ
I like stories

you'd think if you weren't asked to be an olympian, that it would motivate you to work harder to prepare for 4 years from now and realize its about a team, not just one person. i can't imagine how bumming it must be to miss that chance, but its not just about one player

as for what jagr is saying, as others have noted, its not just something about this year and using the Os as an excuse, its a trend. its gotta be frustrating when he sees the the younger russians who could be using all sorts of excuses jump at the chance

Old
05-12-2010, 01:33 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
you'd think if you weren't asked to be an olympian, that it would motivate you to work harder to prepare for 4 years from now and realize its about a team, not just one person. i can't imagine how bumming it must be to miss that chance, but its not just about one player

as for what jagr is saying, as others have noted, its not just something about this year and using the Os as an excuse, its a trend. its gotta be frustrating when he sees the the younger russians who could be using all sorts of excuses jump at the chance
No players can beat what Slovak Štefan Ružička has come up with this year: He declined the invite because he wouldn´t have a 100% chance that he would make the final team. The funny thin is that if he actually tried for once in his life, he would have made the team.
I´m sorry, but attitutde like that makes me wanna never ever see players like that on my national team ever again.

Old
05-12-2010, 01:55 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
He was pissed pre-norway game I bet he going up in flames right now... we Swedes have the same problem... I do think some of it could be adressed to BÅG though.. he just doesnt seem to be good with people at all.

Old
05-12-2010, 02:14 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
He was pissed pre-norway game I bet he going up in flames right now... we Swedes have the same problem... I do think some of it could be adressed to BÅG though.. he just doesnt seem to be good with people at all.
Don't blame BÅG. At least don't make him the sole scape goat. I'm pretty sure it's the federation as a whole. Communication, scouting, and attitude are obviously at an all-time low.

Mårts is celebrated as some sort of second coming of Christ for choking away three U20 Gold medals with quite talented teams, but I can't say I'm terribly impressed with how he handled the kids playing in NA, which leads me to believe that he nor BÅG is all there is to the failures we have with making the national team an attraction for banged up and disappointed (about being out of the play-offs) NHL guys.

JMHO

Old
05-12-2010, 02:37 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
Oh really.

So what garbage are you talking about ? Players just played a 82 games season + Olympics, you think they want to play some extra games during their vacations ? I doubt it, and this is a worldwide phenomenon, every countries is feeling it yet some here like to turn a blind eye to this because they "enjoy" it ?

I'm not the one who doesn't care about this tournament, I like international tournaments, but this year it is an overdose of hockey for the players themselves.

What does Jagr expect ? I'd tell him to ******* off if I was a Czech NHL player, maybe some enjoys their vacations with their family and all. After all he should know this. Oh but wait, he's already been doing that because the KHL season is over ? Well it's quite sad but NHLers are just finishing up about right now.
So there is a option. Season in NHL is too long. I see 70 games like nobrainer and have no problem with 50-60 in regular season.
If WCH will end like local tournament it will be bad for NHL too.

no WCH = no Kopitar and no Gaborik = less talent in teams = less money and less quality of NHL

Old
05-12-2010, 03:12 AM
Swipes

vCash: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
I think I sympathize somewhat with Jiri Hudler. If I was him I would be pissed too that I didn't get an Olympics invite. If Ruzicka wasn't interested in him in February, then May should be no different. Good luck to Jiri next year back in Detroit.
I also agree with him to some extent. But then again he didn't play great in the national team after the first tournament of the year in Karlovy Vary, so it makes sense that he didn't make the cut. Therefore it was really up to him to show Ruzicka that he just had a bit of a bad patch and he can still play as well as he did for the national team. But he backed out of it instead. On a different note, Ruzicka has really made a mess of some of his relationships with players.......

Old
05-12-2010, 03:14 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:

What kind of reasoning is that?

Coach calls whoever thinks are the best available players.

Hudler wasn't in his top-12 forward for Vancouver.
But he is now with some guys unavailable.

I don't see the problem.

Old
05-12-2010, 03:19 AM
Swipes

vCash: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
I don´t understand Ruzicka´s love for Cervenka. I feel sorry for Jagr to have to play with him, give jaromir Voracek please already.
And the whole czech nation agrees with you A similar issue is the persistance of Jakub Klepis on the powerplay...

Old
05-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Snaibberi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish Pastry View Post
personally for me stanley cup >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> int. gold
Personally for me

Olympic gold >>>> World Championship >>>> Stanley Cup

So what was the point? People prefer different things. Im also rather disapointed that Finnish NHL players didnt show up this year. But what can you do. They are millionaires and dont have to give a "PIIP" about national team or finnish fans

Old
05-12-2010, 05:28 AM
mattihp

vCash: 639
Quote:
Here's a memo from the NHL players for you Mr 10 Millions dollars man Jagr and this goes for all the countries.

The WC is not a "reality" for the NHL - never has been and never will be so until some deals/fixes get done, this isn't going to change.
You don't follow hockey much do you?

ALOT of the european NHLers wouldn't have been given a shot at the NHL without the world champs.

Old
05-12-2010, 07:29 AM
zorz

Quote:
Plus, this is not only about the NHL, it is also about the Czechs fans, they care about the WHC a zillion timemore than about the NHL. Czech NHL "stars" shouldn´t be surprised if they abandon them at the OG next time.
This is sooo true. I couldn't say it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish Pastry View Post
i think most north americans think much more of the NHL playoffs than anything...

personally for me stanley cup >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> int. gold
Who cares?

----------------------------------------------------

And Jagr is completely right. Injured players of course won't be criticised for not coming at World Championship. But I really don't care about their "tiredness" and other excuses after their NHL season. If Kovalchuk, Ovechkin and other people are able to come without asking. This conduct is unallowable. If I should name: Hudler, Prucha, Vrbata... no way they could play for Czech Republic in the future in my opinion.

Last edited by zorz: 05-12-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old
05-12-2010, 07:45 AM
slovakiasnextone

Other "golden generation" players join Jágr

Robert Reichel
"Jarda said it openly, which I consider good. Now the players should realize it. Everyone wants to go to the OG. If he doesn´t get there, he´s offended and doesn´t come to the WHC. It seems to me that everyone is looking at the money."

"In our times the national team was a highlight, today all would maybe come only in case they were paid by gold."

"This is about the future of Czech hockey. In 5-10 years it could happen that we won´t even play elite division if it continues this way."

Martin Procházka
"I value words from a person like jaromír Jágr and I consider them a satisfaction for my whole generation, which has won a few tournaments."

"I definitely join this opinion, because I always considered the possibility to play for the national team an honour, I would never afford not comming."

Old
05-12-2010, 07:47 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Oh really.

So what garbage are you talking about ? Players just played a 82 games season + Olympics, you think they want to play some extra games during their vacations ? I doubt it, and this is a worldwide phenomenon, every countries is feeling it yet some here like to turn a blind eye to this because they "enjoy" it ?

I'm not the one who doesn't care about this tournament, I like international tournaments, but this year it is an overdose of hockey for the players themselves.

What does Jagr expect ? I'd tell him to ******* off if I was a Czech NHL player, maybe some enjoys their vacations with their family and all. After all he should know this. Oh but wait, he's already been doing that because the KHL season is over ? Well it's quite sad but NHLers are just finishing up about right now.
What's the matter, June, July and August not good enough for vacation with the family?

The Vacation comment is crap when you take into consideration that the kids are still in school in May.

While I could imagine that some players are pretty tired, with the way these NHL'ers are pampered, I'd have a hard time believing that they are to tired to play in a tournament that carries significant weight into the World Rankings.

I agree with Jagr on this matter 100% and feel totally disappointed with Team USA for it's poor showing. Not the players, but the bozo's for putting this team together.

Sad.

Old
05-12-2010, 07:51 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
What's the matter, June, July and August not good enough for vacation with the family?

The Vacation comment is crap when you take into consideration that the kids are still in school in May.

While I could imagine that some players are pretty tired, with the way these NHL'ers are pampered, I'd have a hard time believing that they are to tired to play in a tournament that carries significant weight into the World Rankings.

I agree with Jagr on this matter 100% and feel totally disappointed with Team USA for it's poor showing. Not the players, but the bozo's for putting this team together.

Sad.
Also the golden generation of Czech players went to the WHC ona every year basis if they weren´t in the NHL play-offs still or injured. Did they generation not have kids and families or what? Plussome of the young players declining don´t even have their own families yet.

Old
05-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Nordic*

I respect Jagr even more now.

I wish Sundin or Forsbetg could say the same thing to stick it to our spoiled brats declining the national team whilemaking millions in a league they wouldn't even be in, had past stars not showed what Sweden can do, on the national team.

Old
05-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I respect Jagr even more now.

I wish Sundin or Forsbetg could say the same thing to stick it to our spoiled brats declining the national team whilemaking millions in a league they wouldn't even be in, had past stars not showed what Sweden can do, on the national team.
Same here. Jagr gets a ton of respect from me for this. In any case, i won't expect anything from Sundin, he's to busy pissing his money away at poker.

Old
05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Question: which Czech NHL players were asked but chose not to play (excluding injured players)?

Old
05-12-2010, 12:06 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
Same here. Jagr gets a ton of respect from me for this. In any case, i won't expect anything from Sundin, he's to busy pissing his money away at poker.
And Forsberg is too busy with that hot 22 year old girlfriend

No but really, good on Jagr for calling them out.

Old
05-12-2010, 12:07 PM
bigdirty

Quote:
That´s ********. The WHC has been a starting point of an NHL career for many European players, Czechs included. Ľubo Višňovský might have never played a single NHL game if he hadn´t won a medal with Slovakia at the 2000 WHC and was then later drafted at 24 by Kings thanks to his performance. A few more players got drafted from that Slovak team that year.

Plus, this is not only about the NHL, it is also about the Czechs fans, they care about the WHC a zillion times more than about the NHL. Czech NHL "stars" shouldn´t be surprised if they abandon them at the OG next time.
I agreed with you right up until the bolded part. If these so called fans will actually abandon their country at the next Olympics, then I don't see how you can call them fans.

Old
05-12-2010, 12:40 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
I agreed with you right up until the bolded part. If these so called fans will actually abandon their country at the next Olympics, then I don't see how you can call them fans.
Abandoning players who abandoned your country first = abandoning your country?

These so called fans will just not cheer on this so called national team players. I don´t see how I could call them national team players if they abandon their fans at such important moments.

At least those so called fans have not abandoned their team yet and cheered until the end of the Norway game at the arena. However there is only so much a fan can take.

Old
05-12-2010, 03:32 PM
NMF78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaibberi View Post
Personally for me

Olympic gold >>>> World Championship >>>> Stanley Cup

So what was the point? People prefer different things. Im also rather disapointed that Finnish NHL players didnt show up this year. But what can you do. They are millionaires and dont have to give a "PIIP" about national team or finnish fans

for me its the same, i can understand NA-fans feel the Stanley Cup is more important (or the most important) but i think the average European-fan doens't really care about it unless someone from their country is doing really well in the SC-playoffs

Old
05-12-2010, 05:34 PM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF78 View Post
for me its the same, i can understand NA-fans feel the Stanley Cup is more important (or the most important) but i think the average European-fan doens't really care about it unless someone from their country is doing really well in the SC-playoffs
In Europe, you have many soccer fans who primarily root for their club instead for their national team, so the Northern American stance is not outlandish at all. But especially the Czech players, who are following in the step of the Golden Generation and have yet to accomplish what their predecessors achieved, should be willing to play those few games for their country, giving the fans the opportunity to see them across the Czech/German-border. Therefore Jagr's harsh critisism is absolutely right!

Gruß,
BSHH

Closed Thread