HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Jagr to Czech NHL players: They should be kissing ass of guys like Reichel and Dopita

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Oyabun

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I respect Jagr even more now.

I wish Sundin or Forsbetg could say the same thing to stick it to our spoiled brats declining the national team whilemaking millions in a league they wouldn't even be in, had past stars not showed what Sweden can do, on the national team.

I was thinking the same thing. Sundin and Forsberg always came to play when they were healthy. Jagr has also always been there scoring goals on us in WHC.

It's an olympic year but this is a bit extreme. Czech and Sweden's situation seem to be similar, every single Swedish NHL olympian has declined the offer except olympic back-up goalie Gustavsson, even SEL players are declining.

Czech is lucky to have him

Old
05-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Milos Krasic
Ballin' in Poland

Jagr wears #68 but plays in Russia. Nationalism is selective, I guess.

Old
05-12-2010, 10:33 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Bottom line is in the coach's opinion Hudler wasn't amongst the top 4 available centers in February, now he is. So it's entirely justified to call him now and not in February.
Bottom line is, it was a shocking decision to not bring Hudler to the Olympics.
You slap a guy in the face in front of the world, don't expect him to help you out the next time you come calling.

Old
05-12-2010, 10:36 PM
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
No players can beat what Slovak Štefan Ružička has come up with this year: He declined the invite because he wouldn´t have a 100% chance that he would make the final team. The funny thin is that if he actually tried for once in his life, he would have made the team.
I´m sorry, but attitutde like that makes me wanna never ever see players like that on my national team ever again.
good call. i mean if you don't want to work for it, what's to say you'll work for it when it really matters? i say if someone wants that kind of ultimatum, let them sit at home.

Old
05-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindliner View Post
So what?

Jagr also played a game in Germany and is now playing a tournament here, even though the Nazis annexed Czechoslovakia before WW2.

Point is, you can still remember what happened in the past yet don't hold it against those who live today. Russia isn't the Soviet Union and Germany isn't the 3rd Reich anymore. It would be a pretty small world if you held a grutch for eternity, without giving descendants a chance to redeem themselves.

Old
05-13-2010, 01:43 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindliner View Post
its like Russians as a nation are responsible for Praha 68?? dont think so and even if they are , do you think that there cant be any friendly relations between those two nations anymore??

Old
05-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
So what?

It would be a pretty small world if you held a grutch for eternity, without giving descendants a chance to redeem themselves.
I agree with you, but come on, redeem themselves? A unborn russian or german child have _zero_ to do with their history and can't be blamed for anything. It's like when modern prime ministers are apologizing for their countrys colonialism in the 1500s, i mean where do you draw the line? I am a swede but i can't be blamed because my ancestors burned Warsaw down, 350 years ago.

In any case, I think that sports and politics should'nt get confused. Jagr made is statesments with his jersery number, and that's a cool way to do it. I am not surprised to see him speak out when he's noticing something that he thinks is wrong.

Last edited by Crazyhorse: 05-13-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old
05-13-2010, 05:04 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
Here's a memo from the NHL players for you Mr 10 Millions dollars man Jagr and this goes for all the countries.

The WC is not a "reality" for the NHL - never has been and never will be so until some deals/fixes get done, this isn't going to change.
Swedish media reports that there are 50 NHL scouts at the world champs.

So I guess the NHL doesn't care at all about the champs.

Old
05-13-2010, 06:32 AM
Nordic*

Forsberg came to play several times even though his body was totally run down and riddled with injuries.

Now we have stars in the NHL who play in the regular season and/or playoffs, no problem, but then decline participation in the WC due to minor injuries or lack of motivation.

Though I see why national pride doesn't exist in Sweden anymore, given the fact that you're viewed as a racist of you waive a Swedish flag or sing the national anthem. And no, this isn't a joke.

Sweden as a country is though, ****ing pathetic.

Old
05-13-2010, 06:50 AM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Only euro's care about WHC

Old
05-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Oyabun

Quote:
given the fact that you're viewed as a racist of you waive a Swedish flag or sing the national anthem. And no, this isn't a joke.

Sweden as a country is though, ****ing pathetic.
Sweden is disgustingly PC but come on, that's not true. If an odd leftwing whackjob would say it's racist it hardly reflects the collective view. Swedes are quite nationalistic but an odd sort of nationalism.

A Swede will start complaining about taxes or how the country is going under and a non-Swede lightly agrees and delivers some balanced criticism about our country, which pisses off the Swede who gets overly defensive/nationalistic. Lol, I've seen this happen many times at university or on the internets.

Old
05-13-2010, 09:10 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
Sweden is disgustingly PC but come on, that's not true. If an odd leftwing whackjob would say it's racist it hardly reflects the collective view. Swedes are quite nationalistic but an odd sort of nationalism.

A Swede will start complaining about taxes or how the country is going under and a non-Swede lightly agrees and delivers some balanced criticism about our country, which pisses off the Swede who gets overly defensive/nationalistic. Lol, I've seen this happen many times at university or on the internets.
The only nationalistic thing about swedes I've seen is that they prefer swedish produce even when it is subpar.

What you describe as swedish nationalism is the same as "Hey! YOU can't talk that about my mama! Only I am allowed!" and is not nationalism really.

Old
05-13-2010, 09:36 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Swedish media reports that there are 50 NHL scouts at the world champs.

So I guess the NHL doesn't care at all about the champs.
Yeah but this only means that if you are a young player who isn't in the NHL the WCs are a good opportunity to impress scouts. And it seems like a lot of guys cherish that opportunity as well.

Jagr's rant, however, was aimed at guys who already have made it. What's in it for them? A strong WCs won't make their next contract bigger, a strong next NHL season though will.

Old
05-13-2010, 09:40 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Yeah but this only means that if you are a young player who isn't in the NHL the WCs are a good opportunity to impress scouts. And it seems like a lot of guys cherish that opportunity as well.
I'd bet that more overagers than young guys are the target of the scouts.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Oyabun

Quote:
The only nationalistic thing about swedes I've seen is that they prefer swedish produce even when it is subpar.

What you describe as swedish nationalism is the same as "Hey! YOU can't talk that about my mama! Only I am allowed!" and is not nationalism really.
Yes perhaps it is like "my mama" but I disagree about your conclusion. You can talk bad about your mama but deep down you geniunely love your mama.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:20 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
I'd bet that more overagers than young guys are the target of the scouts.
Depends on where "young" ends for you, for me a 26 year old undrafted guy is still young.

Old
05-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post

I work as a teacher.

We aren't allowed to sing the national anthem on the 6:th of June, and a kid that wanted to have a Swedish t-shirt on the class photo had to switch to another one since some people had contacted the principal the previous years and said they took offence when Swedish jerseys were worn by some students.

Sweden as a country is a complete joke, and in 20 years etnic Swedes will be a minority here.

It's funny. I can say that I like Colorado more than Montreal, but I can't say I like Swedes more than Somalians - double standard if ever there was one.

Now enough with the off topic... It's just frustrating

Old
05-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Oyabun

Quote:
I work as a teacher.

We aren't allowed to sing the national anthem on the 6:th of June, and a kid that wanted to have a Swedish t-shirt on the class photo had to switch to another one since some people had contacted the principal the previous years and said they took offence when Swedish jerseys were worn by some students.
Wow I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I've never experienced anything like it. The principal should be out of a job, sickening.

Yeah, perhaps we should get back on topic.

Old
05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
slovakiasnextone

Jagr has calmed down a bit

Jaromír Jágr:
"I want this whole thing to stop. I had no idea that such a big discussion would arise. Maybe I said some things too sharply, maybe someone took it personally and maybe somebody got offended. I´m just scared that we could consider a narrow loss to Norway a succes in 5 years."
"Now we all call this a disaster, but in can happen that in 5 or 10 years it will be a common result. On the other hand I didn´t want to anger anybody and I respect the young players that left to NA and play in the NHL. They must be able of something, when the clubs chose them, I don´t doubt that. However Czech hockey is currently suffering from a crisis and they should come and help. I don´t want them to understand my words negatively, on contrary- they should take it as a compliment, that it is not possible with them now. Therefore not only I, but all Czech hockey fans beg the players to come to the WHC for 3 weeks and throw away their egos and help the national team. If they won´t be playing at the WHC, a serious problem could arrise. I believe that this is the last chime."

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 05-13-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old
05-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

wow people i wasn't trashing the tourney like some here... i was just trying to see where the op was coming from...

we were having a conversation and i was just letting him know how my mind set was... way to take it out of context...

Old
05-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Milos Krasic
Ballin' in Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
its like Russians as a nation are responsible for Praha 68?? dont think so and even if they are , do you think that there cant be any friendly relations between those two nations anymore??
Not what I meant. Of course there can and I'm not against Jagr playing in Russia. The point is he shouldn't be telling people to kiss other people's *****. Each person has the right to make their decision.

Old
05-13-2010, 05:58 PM
jekoh

Quote:
I work as a teacher.
That's pretty sad to hear

Old
05-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Wings4Life

Jagr always was a trash-talker with little class.

Glad Ovechkin laid him out at the Olympics.

Old
05-14-2010, 02:50 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Jagr's rant, however, was aimed at guys who already have made it. What's in it for them? A strong WCs won't make their next contract bigger, a strong next NHL season though will.
What's in? It's NATIONAL TEAM, that's in. And yes, they have made it, but also thanks to WCs... now, they should help younger guys to do the same thing. That was the point.

Old
05-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Chicagofan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Only a player with a big ego would consider it an insult.
"Because I wasn't selected for for the Olympics, I'm done with the national team. Waaaaahh"

I think many of these spoiled players need to realize that playing for the NT is a privilege, not a right........and if they don't understand this, is that the type of player you want on the team?
Damn right!
I really detest the egoistic attitude some of the premier nhl-players have shown towards their national team at the WC, and even more those people who cheer them here. If Hudler declines the call of his national team coach because of that stupid reason, then he should never again be considered for this team, no matter what ******* talent this guy displays!

Jaromir Jagr

Closed Thread