HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Jagr to Czech NHL players: They should be kissing ass of guys like Reichel and Dopita

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2010, 03:57 AM
SK13
Prep Time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
What's in? It's NATIONAL TEAM, that's in. And yes, they have made it, but also thanks to WCs... now, they should help younger guys to do the same thing. That was the point.
It's a National Team... but it's a National Team in a tournament that North Americans consider second tier.

Grind it out for 80 games plus the playoffs, feel sore and burnt out and then accept an invitation to a tournament where the strongest hockey country on the planet has Chad freaking Johnson in goal and then see how seriously you take it.

Old
05-15-2010, 04:16 AM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
It's a National Team... but it's a National Team in a tournament that North Americans consider second tier.

Grind it out for 80 games plus the playoffs, feel sore and burnt out and then accept an invitation to a tournament where the strongest hockey country on the planet has Chad freaking Johnson in goal and then see how seriously you take it.
As long as I know Czechs aren´t North Americans.

As the coach of Slovak soccer national team says playing on the national team is a privilege. Right now I can´t imagine a single Slovak soccer player declining an invitation to the national team without an injury/serious family trouble even if it is just an exhibition game against San Marino. And mind you playing San Marino in socer is as if we played Bulgaria in hockey.

This: Ahh this national team is enough worthy of my pressence, this one isn´t attitude is just plain stupid, you know in Europe dressing into the national team jersey in any sport at any event is always connected with pride. No matter what....

Old
05-15-2010, 04:20 AM
twelve

Jagr is absolutely right.

Those players underwent their first hockey training in their homecountry, money was put into them, and thanks to the achievements of the Czech national team, they were scouted early in their career. Time to give something back, and give the next generation the same chance at success that they themselves got.

Old
05-15-2010, 04:23 AM
mattihp

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
As the coach of Slovak soccer national team says playing on the national team is a privilege. Right now I can´t imagine a single Slovak soccer player declining an invitation to the national team without an injury/serious family trouble even if it is just an exhibition game against San Marino. And mind you playing San Marino in socer is as if we played Bulgaria in hockey.

This: Ahh this national team is enough worthy of my pressence, this one isn´t attitude is just plain stupid, you know in Europe dressing into the national team jersey in any sport at any event is always connected with pride. No matter what....
Soccer players don't play nearly as many matches during the year. And you can't possibly think that injury risks are anywhere as high in a lowintense game against bad nations as a hockey game against the worst nation ever would be.

Old
05-15-2010, 04:31 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Soccer players don't play nearly as many matches during the year. And you can't possibly think that injury risks are anywhere as high in a lowintense game against bad nations as a hockey game against the worst nation ever would be.
I really don´t see this long season argument, IMO Jágr isn´t talking about guys who are 30+ older here, but ybout younger guys who are around 25. If Malkin and Ovechkin, who played 20-25 minutes a game both in the NHL regular season, play-off and Olympics are fit enough to play, how come some Czech uys around the same age, who´ ve had maybe half the amount of TOI than these two guys and some of them didn´t even play in the Olympics and/or in the play-offs aren´t ?

Old
05-15-2010, 06:55 AM
crabcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Not nearly? Maybe in Finland. Top players play a lot of games. League, National Cup, European Cup, National team. And if your team is succesful and your name is Messi you can end up playing 70 games in a season with no break at all, after the World Cup he'll have few weaks before new season. The other thing is that number of games doesn't tell you much. Playing 15-20 minutes with breaks is not the same as playing 90 minutes with one break. The thing is when we were winning it was no problem for them, now it is. It's like with Russians few years back it was a huge problem to get them there. And now? Even Datsyuk is there (92 games, 20:00 TOI). So their excuses are just BS.

I also don't understand why Franzen declined Swedish invitation. It's not like his season was very long.

Old
05-15-2010, 07:07 AM
zorz

Quote:

And? I really don't understand why should we care about that north americans consider this tourney second tier. We don't. And those players are Czechs... and if they consider WC as second tier, then it's legitimate reason to criticise them. And that's just what Jagr is doing.

Old
05-15-2010, 04:45 PM
SK13
Prep Time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
And? I really don't understand why should we care about that north americans consider this tourney second tier. We don't. And those players are Czechs... and if they consider WC as second tier, then it's legitimate reason to criticise them. And that's just what Jagr is doing.
Yeah, but the players Jagr is talking about? Are playing here. Have played here for a while. Are living hear and are playing with players who couldn't give a **** about the World Championships.

You don't think that would take away from this tournament for them?

Old
05-16-2010, 05:18 AM
zorz

Quote:
Yeah, but the players Jagr is talking about? Are playing here. Have played here for a while. Are living hear and are playing with players who couldn't give a **** about the World Championships.

You don't think that would take away from this tournament for them?
Of course I don't. I wouldn't write what I wrote above if I thought that

Old
05-16-2010, 05:38 AM
dulzhok

Jagr is a coaster. He chose to play against lesser competition in KHL cause he didn't want to handle the rigors of playing against the best in world on a nightly basis.

And now he's pissed some of his fellow country men don't want to join him playing against lessor competition in the WHC?

Sorry Jagr, most top-end altheltes relish playing against the best. Playing in an inferior tournament just doesn't do it for some.

Old
05-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

not a fan of JJ... but he is right.

Old
05-16-2010, 12:21 PM
xJarod

Send a message via AIM to xJarod
Jakub Voracek admires Jagr... and for him to say all Czech NHL players... wonder how that'll affect him, if at all.

Old
05-16-2010, 12:35 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJarod View Post
Jakub Voracek admires Jagr... and for him to say all Czech NHL players... wonder how that'll affect him, if at all.
Considering that Voráček actually IS in Germany and had to suffer through the Norway and Switzerland losses, he might be thinking along the same lines as Jágr.

Jágr was not talking about all Czech NHL players, but about Czech NHL players, who a) are young/er and b) who didn´t come to Germany

Jakub does not fit into this description, does he?

Old
05-16-2010, 01:03 PM
IceHockey19

Well... I'm not agreed with Jagr here. Guys from Czech Republic, who play in the NHL now, they own nothing to anybody. They are self made men. Worked hard - got to the NHL, this is they own achievement. Reichel and Dopita have nothing to do with it. Peter Regin has nobody before him in the NHL from Denmark, but he has made his way to Ottawa.

And about patriotism... I think that it's all about character of the head couch of national team (and general manager). If Boris Mikhailov or Vladimir Plyuschev was couch of team Russia, I doubt that so many NHLers were in russian roster today.

Old
05-16-2010, 01:47 PM
crabcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Jagr is a coaster. He chose to play against lesser competition in KHL cause he didn't want to handle the rigors of playing against the best in world on a nightly basis.

And now he's pissed some of his fellow country men don't want to join him playing against lessor competition in the WHC?

Sorry Jagr, most top-end altheltes relish playing against the best. Playing in an inferior tournament just doesn't do it for some.
National team is not about them. How can we sustain hockey in our country without them? What about role models for our youth? They have zero contact with our top players, they barely recognize them!
To see them once every 4 years for 2 weeks just doesn't do it. Especially when they don't know each other and play like bunch of soulless individuals.
They deny our younger generation (and everyone else in this country) everything they took for granted when they were young.

Old
05-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Oyabun

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcz View Post

I also don't understand why Franzen declined Swedish invitation. It's not like his season was very long.
Pretty much the entire Swedish olympic team boycotted BÅG (swedish coach) and declined to play. They spoke out anonymously (spelling?) in the media. I'm a BÅG supporter because of the olympic gold and WHC gold in the same year (2006) but even a BÅG homer like myself can agree that he was an absolute disaster in the 2010 olympics. The players were very unhappy about his coaching overall, on PP and how he put the lines together.

That's why we have no stars on the team this year but I believe this boycott will lead to Sweden having a great team in the WHC 2011 when Mårts is behind the wheel.

Old
05-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Roamin

Representing your country on a world stage is a PRIVILAGE. Shame on anyone, including Crosby for turning down the invitation without a legit reason like an injury.

and to those who say "oh he's played soooo much hockey" yeah, so have the rest of the players. In the past and in the future. Stop treating him like a baby. Datsyuk showed up and played just as much hockey as him in the last 3 years.

Old
05-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Chicagofan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

oh, a jagr-"fan" bubbling over with wisdom get a life!

Old
05-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
Representing your country on a world stage is a PRIVILAGE. Shame on anyone, including Crosby for turning down the invitation without a legit reason like an injury.

and to those who say "oh he's played soooo much hockey" yeah, so have the rest of the players. In the past and in the future. Stop treating him like a baby. Datsyuk showed up and played just as much hockey as him in the last 3 years.
What are legit reasons?

Wanting to spend time with your kids?
See your wife?
Catch up with your family (parents, sibblings)?
Get a mental break from hockey and media?
Be involved and work on meaningful community projects where you live or where you are from?

When the Czech players show up to play in the WCH, they do something for the Czech's hockey youth.

When Crosby goes to play in the WCH, he is off on a European vacation and few people care.... I don't think the Swedes would stand up and applaud him. Woudl the Russians or the Finns?

Old
05-18-2010, 07:03 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

The Russians only went because they have a point to prove after the Olympics and there's a lot of public pressure on them to win the WCs. Crosby and Co. proved the only point they felt they had to make by winning the gold medal in Vancouver.

Traditionally Canada and the Canadians didn't really give a damn about international hockey, that changed when the Soviet challenge arose so they had the Summit Series, the Canada Cup, they beat the Soviets and that was that to them, then things changed again with the Europeans making in-roads into the NHL, so they have the Olympics with NHL players and Canada won that twice. Winning best-on-best tournaments every once in a while is all Canadians think they have to do to prove they are still the best (rightfully so even if it frustrates Russians etc.) and then they can go back to playing each other which is what they really want to do.

Old
05-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Roamin

Just wanted to post this incase it hasn't been yet.

http://www.iihf.com/channels10/iihf-...ash=3e7dceb79e

good read about players ditching the worlds.

Old
05-19-2010, 12:08 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The Russians only went because they have a point to prove after the Olympics and there's a lot of public pressure on them to win the WCs. Crosby and Co. proved the only point they felt they had to make by winning the gold medal in Vancouver.

Traditionally Canada and the Canadians didn't really give a damn about international hockey, that changed when the Soviet challenge arose so they had the Summit Series, the Canada Cup, they beat the Soviets and that was that to them, then things changed again with the Europeans making in-roads into the NHL, so they have the Olympics with NHL players and Canada won that twice. Winning best-on-best tournaments every once in a while is all Canadians think they have to do to prove they are still the best (rightfully so even if it frustrates Russians etc.) and then they can go back to playing each other which is what they really want to do.
I dunno, the Russians always go. I dont think they are proving anything, they just like to rep the country

Old
05-19-2010, 12:44 PM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
Just wanted to post this incase it hasn't been yet.

http://www.iihf.com/channels10/iihf-...ash=3e7dceb79e

good read about players ditching the worlds.
And here is what Hockey Canada had to say about Sidney Crosby being called out:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?...crosby-3403918

Old
05-20-2010, 02:13 AM
PhillyPhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindliner View Post
Jagr wears #68 but plays in Russia. Nationalism is selective, I guess.
That was the Soviet Union, not Russia.

This would also mean:

- no african-american players should play in the US.
- no jewish players should play in Germany
- no american players should play in the UK
- no catalan players should play in non-catalan Spain
etc.
etc.

Old
05-20-2010, 03:10 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhinn View Post
That was the Soviet Union, not Russia.

This would also mean:

- no african-american players should play in the US.
- no jewish players should play in Germany
- no american players should play in the UK
- no catalan players should play in non-catalan Spain
etc.
etc.
all of that are true

Closed Thread