HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Jagr to Czech NHL players: They should be kissing ass of guys like Reichel and Dopita

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2010, 08:20 AM
ilovetheflyers8

vCash: 500
I may be wrong, but something I've come to think is that it is funny to lament the decline of nationalism because we like to think of it as something that has been around forever. In reality however, from my understanding nationalism has only been around since the late 1800s.

edit: I don't think having some nationalism is necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 05-20-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old
05-20-2010, 08:43 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
I dunno, the Russians always go. I dont think they are proving anything, they just like to rep the country
They didn´t always go. I remember that on home ice in Petersburg in 2000 they had a team with all their NHL stars, but absolutely failed. Then in 2002, they had pretty much a no name team, pretty much the only top players there were Suhisnskij and Afinogenov and they finished 2nd.

I think there are two reasons why all Russians went this year, one is the effect of the Vancouver disaster, the other part might be the succes, they know they´re likely gonna win the tournament. The Czech players used to come because they knew they were going to play for medals in the times of their golden generation, but now they probably think twice before going to the WHC just to lose in the quarterfinal and to have the fans and media criticize them when it is all over.

Old
05-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
It's funny. I can say that I like Colorado more than Montreal, but I can't say I like Swedes more than Somalians - double standard if ever there was one.
I like Swedes more than Somalians. Not that I know any Somalians, aside from that kid on trial on piracy charges, but still...

Closed Thread