HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak salary negotiations start here, thanks to Stars

Old
05-11-2010, 10:54 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
The guy was shafted by this team during the regular season I expect him to get paid what he is due and would not be shocked if the team footing the bill is not Montreal, he is going to want this money and he deserves it.
Yes, I agree with you, he should go where the money is... given that outside offers are made

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:01 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Well it looks like the very bottom of any salary negotiation for Halak next year starts at 3.5 million per. This is quite a healthy raise, but one has to figure in with his playoff success over Lehtonen in Dallas will net him even more.

If your Alan Walsh and your talking money with Pierre Gauthier you know the bar has been set at Lehtonen for a minimum.

The cap space for next year has just got even tighter for those who thought 2 million per.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=321267

Lehtonen is 26, limited playoff experience and often injured and gets a 3 year $10.65 million deal???

If your Gauthier you aren't liking this signing.
OMG, I forgot Alan Walsh is Halak's agent.

PREDICTION : Halak gets trade after Walsh asks for ridiculous contract (by ridiculous I mean Theodo-Ridiculous, I mean 6.5 per, 4-5yrs)

pps, I don't want that to happen, I just think that stupid agents make stupid things happen... look at Brian Savage career's now... think about what it "could have been" if he hadn't asked 4-5M for his 25-30 goals per season. Or whether Brisebois would have been booed if he hadn't asked for that unfamous 4M.

I mean, being greedy can screw your life. I just lost 50% of my investments for "waiting too long" on the stock market. Waiting for it to rise back. fml.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:16 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
That's the point. Halak isn't a clear cut #1, playing 40 games per year doesn't make you a #1. See Huet, looked good in 35-40 games but when he had to play 60-65 he looked horrible

Halak seems to get tired after 5 straight games where as a really number one can play 60-70 games + playoffs

Halak has already played near 70 games this year, so this point is moot. Hell, he's played like 40 games since the beginning of Feb.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Halak has already played near 70 games this year, so this point is moot. Hell, he's played like 40 games since the beginning of Feb.
He played 45 Games in the regular season.

And around 12 in the playoffs so...

45+12 = 57

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post

45+12 = 57
Wow. I'm really getting tired of this debate. You guys simply leave me no choice...

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:39 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:

45+12 = 57
Yeah I guess those 9 or 10 Olympic games he played this season were meaningless and don't count as pro-level hockey.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:46 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I don't get this.

By your logic Halak is a proven goalie after 1 year

Doesn't that make Price a proven goalie after his first NHL season?

Point is we don't know who will be better in 2-3-4-5 years so our man. will have to continue on potentia
you mean after SEVERAL years he kept improving, a great performance at the Olympics and an even better one in the playoffs...

and lest not talk about the few times already where he came in to "save" the season... like in his first stretch (Huet injury) or last year where he won a few in a row when the team was in jeopardy...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Steveshutt

Man, some of you people seem to really under-rate him. He's the best goalie in the world and gives the team a chance to win every night. And he's going to get better. No doubt in my mind.

Steveshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:49 AM
tomf

Quote:

45+12 = 57
If checked it correctly:
Halak has started in 25 of the last 28 Habs games (RS + PO, 2 times pulled).
Or he has started in 35 of the last 44 Habs games (RS + PO, 3 times pulled).
Halak has played in 63 games this season (RS + OG + PO 45+6+12) and 45 of them this year.

I understand concerns that he can't do this for some 75-90 games (that would be his load as a starter with successful PO).
On the other hand he has showed that he can shoulder RS or stretch of 20-30 games starting virtually nonstop.

tomf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 03:22 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

I think it's clear we'll have to sacrifice Hamrlik, and/or Spacek and/or the Kost Bros. if we want to keep both Halak & Plekanec. I'm not against it. We have some young defense men in need of ice time to prove themselves (Subban, Carle, Webber) and the same can be said for forwards. (Pacioretty, Maxwell, Trotter, Desharnais)

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Thse types of OP make me laugh as thewy always ignore that the case they are presenting is NOT the ultimate comparison.

Lethonen is a pending UFA. His situation is far different than Halak and won't be a comparative. Dallas bought out his UFA status that would be coming next year. Halak has 3 years left as a RFA.

This is the same kind of half ass OP that said AK would 4,5 -5 m two years ago, because some similar player got that type of money.

The OP using absolutism doesn't help either.

Sigh.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 03:54 AM
elMatador

Quote:
That's the point. Halak isn't a clear cut #1, playing 40 games per year doesn't make you a #1. See Huet, looked good in 35-40 games but when he had to play 60-65 he looked horrible

Halak seems to get tired after 5 straight games where as a really number one can play 60-70 games + playoffs
Halak played 45 Games in the regular season.
26W 13L 5OT

12 games in the playoffs so far
7W 5L record so far

7 games in Olympics
4W 3L record (W against Russia, Sweden, Norway, Latvia - L against Canada, Finland, Czechs)

45+12+7 = 64 games
37W 21L 5OT

elMatador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 04:12 AM
elMatador

Yesterday I posted a couple of his answers from a slovak newspapers. The impression I've got is clear. He wants to be no. 1 guy next season. Money is not important for him at this stage of his career. I believe that's gonna be his only instruction to Walsh come summer time - find me a team I am a starter. Yea, Walshy can be a greedy SOB but I believe Halak can manage him if necessary. The same way as he managed Bob and was vocal and asked for more game time in December.
If the management can show him some respect, recognition and a commitment my guess is he will sign for 2,8 M/per year for 3-4 years.

elMatador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 05:16 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I am hoping this does not have a huge impact on the Habs goalie negotiations but fact is that it will. I still cannot believe the contract Dallas handed out...wow.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I think it's clear we'll have to sacrifice Hamrlik, and/or Spacek and/or the Kost Bros. if we want to keep both Halak & Plekanec. I'm not against it. We have some young defense men in need of ice time to prove themselves (Subban, Carle, Webber) and the same can be said for forwards. (Pacioretty, Maxwell, Trotter, Desharnais)
You can already expect one of Hammer or Spacek gone this summer, because they need to make some place for Subban and need the cap space the switch can make. Switching from Spacek to Subban is close to 3 mil more in cap space, quite sufficient to keep everybody, including Halak, Price and Plex. For sure they will tell Halak he will be #1. It will be his place to lose, no doubt about it, so it looks like Halak will be getting what he looks for.

Then, you have still have one of two remaining (Spacek or Hammer) who will be gone by two seasons time or less. This position is important (2nd pairing LD), so the Habs will be looking to fill this spot with another D from the market, possibly next summer, maybe this summer if they are proactive. The money left behind by the whole switch of Hammer/Spacek for Subban/UFAortrade gives us close to 8,5 leeway to sign that other D and supply the cap difference for Halak and Plex (and other RFAs who don't require that big of a raise).

To me the only big question mark left is AK and his bro. I wonder what Gauthier will do. He said he'd be very proactive with trades. Well, now he's got a decision to make about AK's spot on the top 6, and the two old men who will carry the 2nd LD (one has to go for now at least), and both will be gone soon.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 06:08 AM
LeMAD

Unless they find a way to move A Kost or Spacek before July first, Plekanec is gone for sure.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 06:16 AM
The Right Price

The target for Montreal should be to keep both Halak and Price, since the intra-team battle has and will do good for both.

Halak has not proven himself as a starter yet so even though he is on fire now I see him gettin 2.5-3.5 m for circa 3-4 years.

Plekanec is the UFA we need to keep.

We can get rid of Hamrlik, Spacek, Mara...

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 07:04 AM
Habsfanatical

Halak should get something like Quick in LA.. Around 2M per @ 3yrs.. RFA is RFA.. I don't know what Dallas is thinking giving Leht's that kind of $$$, other then they gave up a pretty good prospect for him so I guess if they let Leht's walk it would look bad on them? Who knows.. But if Halak wants that much, let him sign an offer sheet for that much, I'll take the picks thank you.. Halak and Pleks are in the same boat IMO.. Could be a fluck of a year or could be a conituation to this year moving forward, but that's my bargaining chip at the table.

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Patty Roy

I don't think there is any doubt at this point that Halak won't get something at least in the 3 million range.

I'm not sure what Gauthier is willing to spend on his 2 goaltenders, but i suspect that anything more than 3.5 for Halak means Price is gone.

Also, i think its pretty much a given that Hamrlik is bought out or dumped in the offseason. Nothing against him, but we absolutely need to use that money more wisely, and he is most expendable considering he may be #5 or 6 on our D depth chart right now and for next season.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 08:53 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Well it looks like the very bottom of any salary negotiation for Halak next year starts at 3.5 million per. This is quite a healthy raise, but one has to figure in with his playoff success over Lehtonen in Dallas will net him even more.

If your Alan Walsh and your talking money with Pierre Gauthier you know the bar has been set at Lehtonen for a minimum.

The cap space for next year has just got even tighter for those who thought 2 million per.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=321267

Lehtonen is 26, limited playoff experience and often injured and gets a 3 year $10.65 million deal???

If your Gauthier you aren't liking this signing.
yeah. This is bad. Not only for the Habs, but for the whole NHL.

Halak is now worth 5 million at least per year.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
yeah. This is bad. Not only for the Habs, but for the whole NHL.

Halak is now worth 5 million at least per year.
If halak gets 5 that is ridiculous. Maybe if he plays similar to this for another year but after half a season come on. The only way halak gets a 4 or higher is if they sign him to like an 8 year deal or something.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 09:04 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
If halak gets 5 that is ridiculous. Maybe if he plays similar to this for another year but after half a season come on. The only way halak gets a 4 or higher is if they sign him to like an 8 year deal or something.
Talk to his agent. I am pretty sure he will ask for that type of money. Habs won't give it, but some other team are gonna approach Halak with an offer sheet (RFA) that will be close to that figure.

Halak has helped the Habs more than the last half season. You already don't remember last year.

+ Playing good for half season = Jose Theodore = HUGE multi year contract

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Talk to his agent. I am pretty sure he will ask for that type of money. Habs won't give it, but some other team are gonna approach Halak with an offer sheet (RFA) that will be close to that figure.

Halak has helped the Habs more than the last half season. You already don't remember last year.

+ Playing good for half season = Jose Theodore = HUGE multi year contract
Thats fine agents are usually out to lunch it is like having your biggest homer fan doing your negotiations. Do you think the habs should pay him 5 if he asks for it? I personally wouldnt because you have a capable goalie behind him, it would be different if he could hold them hostage. You can just go to arbitration and trade him if they want to or take the offer sheet depending on the amount its for.

Id prefer to have both for atleast one more year but its becoming less likely that will happen.

The theodore point is exactly why they wont sign him for big money or even long term yet. He stole a series literally on his own and look what happened there.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Turboflex*

I wonder how much he would get in arbitration? Probably less than the agent wants, and only for 1 year.

If I were the Habs I would request an arbitration hearing, you get Halak at 1 year probably to a reasonable amount, and can fit Price in again on a 1 or 2 year contract of 2 million max. Total for both goalies should be less than 5.5m MAX (still a very good deal).

Obviously at some point you need to make a final decision and trade 1, but if you can use arbitration to push it back 1 year they should do that, the Price/Halak tandem is top 3 in league (arguably only Thomas/Rask their equals), and both are RFA, no point in pissing that away when we dont need to. Gives us another year to evaluate which one of these guys is the real deal and to hear offers.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 10:25 AM
NLHabsFan

This is ridiculous...

Lehtonen's situation is completely different. I think his QO was 3.3mil (I believe it's like 10% raise?) so he barely got a raise and they paid for his UFA years which are big bargaining chips for a player.

And for offer sheets, all the Habs have to do is qualify for his rights and file for arbitration than no team can send him an offer sheet. It doesn't mean you have to go to arbitration it just gives the team more time to work out a contract without the worry of an offer sheet. If he wants to play in the NHL next year (which I believe he do) it will be with the Habs. If he decides to go to the KHL then there is nothing the Habs could really do. I am very confident Halak will be a Hab next season.

And if he gets 3.5+ I hope it is for 4+years.

And more importantly I hope that the only thing on Halak's mind right now is Game 7 tonight!

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote