HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak salary negotiations start here, thanks to Stars

Old
05-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Newhabfan

vCash: 500
Can you guys please give me an example of a goalie signing a big contract after a great season and that lives up to the expectations, recently ? 'Cause I bring you:

Theodore,
Huet,
Luongo,
Tim Thomas,
Giguère.

And the list goes on.

No matter how great a season a goalie has - I am against giving him a long term multimilion contract. You never know how it will end up - and you get stuck with an albatros that you cannot trade.

So, no matter how much I appreciate Halak who was one of the best goalies this year......

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yeah I guess those 9 or 10 Olympic games he played this season were meaningless and don't count as pro-level hockey.
Nope, now your point ? still 13 games missing

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 10:48 AM
E = CH²

Gainey, throughout his tenure as GM tried to lowball RFAs as much as he could. Before the salary cap, that was clearly the best strategy. After the salary cap, plenty of teams have went another way and started signing RFAs to long term deals in an attempt to keep the player at his average earnings instead of having to pay through the roof later in his career.

Now sure, we can lowball Halak since he's a RFA. We can go to arbitration to prevent offer sheets and he doesn't have much leverage. That said, arbitration processes are often messy and can create wedges between the player and the team. We've already been pretty harsh on Halak in his tenure here. So the question is, do we want to further alienate our #1 keeper or get a deal done that can be satisfactory to both teams albeit at a slightly higher price in the present ?

It all depends on whether we think he's the real deal or not. I personally believe that he is as good a #1 as anyone else, and better than most. At no point in his career has he known a real slump, he's still very young and has been improving his game his whole career. I wasn't 100% sold until the playoffs. Now I am, I think if we win tomorrow we need to ink this guy long term and not just resign him at his lowest possible value.

Move Hamrlik and Spacek if needed. Which it most likely will be if we want to sign both Plekanec and Halak.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 11:23 AM
neofury*

Halak will likely take a 1 year deal cheap, just so he can improve his value even more. Then if next year he's amazing, not only will he get the $ he wants but I have no doubt the habs management will give it to him.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Gainey, throughout his tenure as GM tried to lowball RFAs as much as he could. Before the salary cap, that was clearly the best strategy. After the salary cap, plenty of teams have went another way and started signing RFAs to long term deals in an attempt to keep the player at his average earnings instead of having to pay through the roof later in his career.

Now sure, we can lowball Halak since he's a RFA. We can go to arbitration to prevent offer sheets and he doesn't have much leverage. That said, arbitration processes are often messy and can create wedges between the player and the team. We've already been pretty harsh on Halak in his tenure here. So the question is, do we want to further alienate our #1 keeper or get a deal done that can be satisfactory to both teams albeit at a slightly higher price in the present ?

It all depends on whether we think he's the real deal or not. I personally believe that he is as good a #1 as anyone else, and better than most. At no point in his career has he known a real slump, he's still very young and has been improving his game his whole career. I wasn't 100% sold until the playoffs. Now I am, I think if we win tomorrow we need to ink this guy long term and not just resign him at his lowest possible value.

Move Hamrlik and Spacek if needed. Which it most likely will be if we want to sign both Plekanec and Halak.
Some objectives as I see them:

1) Keep the salary under control for the time you have control of the players. No 10 year deals here, 2 years will suffice through arbitration or negotiation.
2) Keep the total salaries at a reasonable level for the position of goaltender. $5Millionish for both Halak and Price together keeps both Halak and Price together, and gives the team the luxury of delaying a trade.
3) If you don't think you can keep the total goalie salary level under the $5Mish total, or if one or more goalies make demands, you look to move one and sign the other longer term. At this moment the player to be moved is PRice. Price won't get you much in a trade but that's the price you pay (no pun intended) for having the right players in key positions and your team's payroll structure in order.
4) The goalie situation is independent of other situations, like Plekanec. A decision on Plekanec has to be made on it's own merits and that might impact Hamrlik, or Spacek , or someone else. No sense muddling things by connecting Plekanec to Price or Halak, or having that negotiation influencing a decision to take Halak to arbitration to save a few hundred grand a year.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

Yes. Pretty much exactly what I said.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Le depisteur

Pekka Rinne recently got 3.4M/year for next 2 as UFA...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I agree, but here's something i just thought of (bear with me on this one):

What's smarter, paying him 2.6 a year for 2 years until he becomes a free agent and then having to give him say what Cam Ward just got (6yrs/37.8M) OR giving him a bigger and longer contract this year like 4yrs/16M? Sounds like a lot, to be sure, but maybe we save a bit more in the long run? Of course the latter decision would surely mean the end for Carey Price, but maybe that's the move Gauthier should make?

Think about it. Halak is in everyone's mind, a number one goalie. 4M a year for a top-notch goalie in his prime years (26 to 30) is a really good deal.

Now imagine if we have to end up paying Halak 6M a year with a bunch of guys who are already making huge money. Maybe the smart money is to pay Halak a bit more to have his contract end at the same time as all of other big contracts (Gionta, Gomez, Cammy). That to me is smart management, and will give us 4 solid years in a row at stanley cup contention. After all, Halak is the big reason we're here. We're all worried that we might lose Plekanec this year: Could you imagine worrying about losing Halak?
The latter is the way to go imo. Frees up cap space down the road. Pay him a bit more now.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote