HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Concerned about potential virus... Any helpers?

Old
05-11-2010, 09:19 PM
HemskyToHall*

vCash: 500
Concerned about potential virus... Any helpers?

Hey HF, I opened up this email and it had shown my IP address and I am concerned it will hack my computer somehow.

I immediately deleted that hotmail account, what else can I do?

I'm not good at all with computers btw.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:22 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
Hey HF, I opened up this email and it had shown my IP address and I am concerned it will hack my computer somehow.

I immediately deleted that hotmail account, what else can I do?

I'm not good at all with computers btw.
While knowing your IP address does make you somewhat vulnerable, it doesn't necessarily mean you have a virus. Finding your IP is actually really easy, you can just go to http://www.whatismyip.com and it will tell you on the front page.

I'm guessing the email just had an HTML script in it that sniffed your IP. If you are behind a firewall or a router/switch (which is essentially a hardware firewall) you should be fine.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:26 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
While knowing your IP address does make you somewhat vulnerable, it doesn't necessarily mean you have a virus. Finding your IP is actually really easy, you can just go to http://www.whatismyip.com and it will tell you on the front page.

I'm guessing the email just had an HTML script in it that sniffed your IP. If you are behind a firewall or a router/switch (which is essentially a hardware firewall) you should be fine.
I'm using windows 2000 with mozilla +ad-block, does this still make me vulnerable? I don't think my computer has a firewall, and yeah I use wireless router. I was thinking ad block could block out all the spam and viruses.

And thanks for the help.

Old
05-11-2010, 09:28 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
I'm using windows 2000 with mozilla +*******, does this still make me vulnerable? I don't think my computer has a firewall, and yeah I use wireless rogers. I was thinking ad block could block out all the spam and viruses.

And thanks for the help.
Like I said, just knowing your IP technically makes you vulnerable, only if the person with your IP knows what to do with it. You're behind a router, so you shouldn't have much to worry about in theory.

There's not really anything you can do, short of connecting to the 'net through a proxy which is a whole process in itself, that will hide your IP address from the internet. Even Admins on this forum have your IP, it's just not shown to any other users.

I wouldn't stress too much over it unless your computer starts doing weird things. If that happens, reconnecting to your router should reset your local IP unless you have it specifically assigned to keep the same IP on your computer. It doesn't by default, so if you never set this, it's not set to do so.

Old
05-11-2010, 09:33 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Like I said, just knowing your IP technically makes you vulnerable, only if the person with your IP knows what to do with it. You're behind a router, so you shouldn't have much to worry about in theory.

There's not really anything you can do, short of connecting to the 'net through a proxy which is a whole process in itself, that will hide your IP address from the internet. Even Admins on this forum have your IP, it's just not shown to any other users.

I wouldn't stress too much over it unless your computer starts doing weird things. If that happens, reconnecting to your router should reset your local IP unless you have it specifically assigned to keep the same IP on your computer. It doesn't by default, so if you never set this, it's not set to do so.
Thank you for the quick response.

Just a question, how can a virus site harm my computer if they know my Ip?

Old
05-11-2010, 09:36 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
The Tank thanks you

Why not change your IP?

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:38 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Why not change your IP?
How can I do this, I'm only 14.

Old
05-11-2010, 09:42 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response.

Just a question, how can a virus site harm my computer if they know my Ip?
The website itself probably won't do anything to your computer other than malware/spyware, if it's a malicious website.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry about anybody hacking your computer or anything like that.

Also, to change your IP just reset your router. Turn it off for about 5 minutes then turn it back on. This should change the IP, but I may be mistaken.

Old
05-11-2010, 09:42 PM
awesomo
HARD!

go to ms-dos

type in ipconfig /release then type ipconfig /renew

i think that works

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:45 PM
HemskyToHall*

Thanks everyone.

Old
05-11-2010, 09:57 PM
awesomo
HARD!

i hope you learned your lesson, little one. Some emails are just too good to be true. Like those from the really hot girls that say "open me, im naked"

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 10:17 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
The Tank thanks you

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
go to ms-dos

type in ipconfig /release then type ipconfig /renew

i think that works
Works for the local machine but not for the router, which is the one that needs changing.

Your IP will probably change if you unplug(power) your router overnight, then plug it back in in the morning when you want to use your internet; then you can leave it plugged in afterward.

I would suggest going to http://www.dslreports.com/whois

Write down the IP it says you have, then do the unplug the router routine, then check your ip with that website again tomorrow and see if it changed after plugging your router back in.

I can unplug my router for several hours and it won't change, that's why I recommend overnight when it isn't being used. It all depends on your ISP's IP settings/policies.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Dylonus

I know a good legit spyware to keep your computer safe.

Google "Microsoft Security Essentials"

It's a 2 MB download and is probably the best option for you for this kind of deal.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote