HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Part VI Phoenix Coyotes post bankruptcy

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Seanahue

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouXer4ouR View Post
It'd probably be more on the line of 2,500 x 75, but nice try.
Either way we would still bring in more revenue than the team currently is.

Old
North

vCash: 500
Quote:
It's not the same situation at all. Glendale has a nice freaking arena. One of the best in the NHL. Winnipeg did not, and still there current arena can't compete with Glendale's.
MTS Centre is an excellent arena. May not have as many seats but they'd all be used.

Old
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRules View Post

You can't be serious with this crap. The borderline abuse he recieves????

He didn't save any small market Canadian teams, he moved all of them.
Edmonton, calgary, and Ottawa were all in dire straits before the lockout. And the CBA was specifically crafted to help small market Canadian teams. I doubt I am not the only one here who remembers .75 Canadian dollars and the affect it had on the NHL. Bettman has saved Canadian hockey teams.

Old
FlareKnight

Really the civility has pretty much been thrown out the window. Just not sure if everyone was pretending to care about each other's point of view or not. Anyways this is still a long road. Someone still has to buy this team before anything is really settled and the terms will also matter. So let's all just wait and see.

And honestly Bettman is a jerk. If he doesn't have anything to say he should just not bother showing up for an interview.

Old
billy blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniformGuru View Post
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...90/118-2008-09

It's really not that hard to look up.

The Panthers have not averaged less than 15,000 in a year in 9 years.

And any team will struggle when the franchise has only made it into the playoffs once. (Thrashers)
as the Coyote BK proved, you cannot count these numbers as factual

Old
05-11-2010, 10:58 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
good to see that in a matter of 20 mins this has turned into name calling and pissing contests.

so basically this now means what? the Coyotes will be in Glendale for another year and will continue to pursue a "local" owner? or is there still more councils this has to pass?
I think passing council was a given. Now it has to pass counsel. That is going to be significantly more difficult.

Old
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoopok View Post
Apparently you have never watched a panthers or Thrashers game. I don't blame you nobody really does.
Try being a perennial lottery team with owners at each other's throats and a front office enamored with being asinine.

Montreal would be last in attendance. Quebec Nordiques might be still around and the Habs mightbe ended up in demver.

If you don't have experience with a subject you clearly don't understand don't bring it up.

Old
TheBuriedHab

whatever. Everyone knows the nhl has been buoyed by the canadian teams revenue. If they don't want more canadian teams to get even more revenue, all the power to them.

Old
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

yeah seriously give it a rest....nobody can argue the success of the coyotes financially....and winnipeg lost its team 15 years ago.

Old
Seanahue

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
It's also 100% pure speculation that Winnipeg can support a team... except that you've already lost one once.

Ouch.
Could you imagine if Phoenix had to deal with no salary cap and funding a team with 65 cents on the dollar. That would turn this Phoenix experiment into a 3 year jaunt.

Old
05-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Imagine how incredible the NHL would be if Team Bettman supported all teams like it has the Coyotes over the past 12-18 months. The Isles would have their Lighthouse, Atlanta would be a secure organization (hopefully, Tampa finally is) ... what a wonderful world.
It's nice Phoenix is keeping its team, but the NHL letting Winnipeg hang in the wind like that is shameful. This wasn't a money-grubbing owner, or a regular money-losing owner, this was the league doing this. The league wouldn't be a money-losing owner if it acted like a league and not have had this break down into a petty "I want it my way" hissy fit.
And after $300 million in mistakes, I pray someone gets it right in Phoenix. I'm sick and tired of hockey teams supposedly being on the move.
I am a little ashamed on this night to say I am a hockey fan.

Old
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioGeno71 View Post
but yet Ottawa has done similar food deals with their tickets, where's your cry to move them too?
Ottawa is an interesting case. If you were to do a blind profile based on size, demographics, arena location et al, you'd be laughed at for suggesting they get a pro sports franchise of any kind. I think it shows that some economic equation isn't the be all and end all of dictating whether a location is ideal for a franchise. There are variables involved.

Old
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
I think passing council was a given. Now it has to pass counsel. That is going to be significantly more difficult.
agreed, but does the NHL wait all year to find out if it will?

Old
XX
SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanahue View Post
Could you imagine if Phoenix had to deal with no salary cap and funding a team with 65 cents on the dollar. That would turn this Phoenix experiment into a 3 year jaunt.
Welcome to the real world?

Old
05-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Why, because he doesn't back down to overly emotional Canadian interviewers. I think it is a credit to Bettman that he continually opens himself to the abuse he receives on live TV from Canadian sportscaster who are bordeline abusive to him.
Because he takes the canadian fans for granted because we'll always be here supplying the talent, filling our rinks and glued to our TV's. He'd rather grant franchises to cities and markets where the have 5 sheets of ice in the entire state and 90% of the population aren't even aware they have a hockey team let alone give a crap about it.

This mantra of "give it time" is ridiculous..why spend all your time, money and energy trying to create new markets when you don't even serve the markets you have?

He doesnt get enough abuse.

Old
05-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Seanahue

Quote:
It's not the same situation at all. Glendale has a nice freaking arena. One of the best in the NHL. Winnipeg did not, and still there current arena can't compete with Glendale's.
I'll give you that but let me ask you this. Do you think he put as much effort into each case?

Old
05-11-2010, 11:01 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

kind of intense on the board right now! what exactyly has changed in the past 8 hours that has everyone so emotional??

CoG was always going to give Beasly a shot at finding a goldwater proof mechanism to cover losses for 2010-11 in the event they can't get the team sold.......that is not a surprise is it?.....were people actually thinking the CoG were going to throw in the towel tonight????

it doesn't mean it gets done in time and that it will stand up to legal scrutiny....it may, or it may not, but we will still have to wait and see.

JR was never really out.....SHOCK.....IEH said they were out because they couldn't get an exclusive but they are probably not out either even though they are the red headed step child......SHOCK!! Bettman and Daly are backing Glendale until the bitter end which is not a change of position but they have put their own cheque book away.....SHOCK

there are allot of hurdles for the City to overcome and many twists and turns this deal could, check that, will take......everyone might want to breath on both sides of the debate....there is still along way to go....deals were never meant to be followed this closely.....you don't watch ping pong from 1 foot away from the table

Old
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
Try being a perennial lottery team with owners at each other's throats and a front office enamored with being asinine.

Old
North

Quote:
It's also 100% pure speculation that Winnipeg can support a team... except that you've already lost one once.

Ouch.
As did Minnesota. They have a new team. Would you have argued when they lost the North Stars that they couldn 't support another team?

Other cities have lost teams and got them back. Guess what Winnipeg could too and it would be far more successful than Phoenix.

Old
05-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Tafkak

Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
As did Minnesota. They have a new team. Would you have argued when they lost the North Stars that they couldn 't support another team?

Other cities have lost teams and got them back. Guess what Winnipeg could too and it would be far more successful than Phoenix.
Based on?

Old
05-11-2010, 11:02 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRules View Post
David Thompson is all they need. Don't need any bank financing like IEH
Atlanta had Ted Turner. Billionaires do not live forever, and the Canadian patriot thing might wear thin if he is bleeding too much cash. The sugar daddy owner is not quite as stable a plan as you mght think. There is no guarantee Winnipeg can make money, especially since it appears they want Manitoba to kick in $50 million.

Old
05-11-2010, 11:03 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniformGuru View Post
Based on?
common sense

Old
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

It's pointless arguing, everyone has their opinions and will stand by them. I want my team to stay where it is, Winnipeg fans want an NHL team again. It's all understandable, but lets be civil here, we are all passionate hockey fans, and this is a difficult time for all of us. So let's take a breather, and step away from the keyboard. I'm going to take a shower.

Old
WJG
Running and Rioting

So basically another COG council meeting comes and goes, and still nothing has been resolved in this situation?

I really think the NHL is trying to draw this out until the Stanley Cup is awarded. Announcing a relocation (if it happens) now would take away tons of attention from the playoffs.

Old
05-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Seanahue

Quote:
Welcome to the real world?
The real world being a cap in place, a strong dollar, a billionaire owner, a new arena, etc etc.....I like the real world.

Closed Thread