HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh... Where (Merged)

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2004, 09:59 PM
perezhoginthebest

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh... Where

Pittsburg is going to change of town but... where? There are juste a little bit of fans that go see them play.

Old
05-12-2004, 10:01 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I think it will be a dream to see a new Winnipeg team the Winnipeg penguins would be great

Old
05-12-2004, 10:01 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Montreal Part Deux?

Old
05-12-2004, 10:13 PM
komisakick ass

Les Pingouins de Québec
Sa sonne trop bien

Old
05-12-2004, 10:16 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
LOL ouin en plus il fait frette au quebec ca irait bien avec le nom pis chu sure que le monde au quebec aimerait bien revoir du hockey ds leur ville

Old
05-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
I think it will be a dream to see a new Winnipeg team the Winnipeg penguins would be great
Can't we call them the Jets again??

It worked for the Cleveland Browns.

Old
05-12-2004, 10:28 PM
RE-HABS

Pittsburgh ain't going anywhere yet, and the Jets name belongs to the Coyotes so they would not be able to use that name. The city of Cleveland worked out an agreement with Art Modell and the NFL to keep the name for a promised expansion team after the move to Baltimore.

Old
05-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Pittsburgh ain't going anywhere yet, and the Jets name belongs to the Coyotes so they would not be able to use that name. The city of Cleveland worked out an agreement with Art Modell and the NFL to keep the name for a promised expansion team after the move to Baltimore.
Gretzky is their owner. I'm sure if Winnipeg were to get a team first, he would sell them the rights to it for a reasonable price.

Old
05-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Darz

Hmmmm............I wonder how far down the list Thunder Bay is:

10482: Basrah, Iraq
10483: Thunder Bay, Ont.
10484: Gweru, Zimbabwe

hmmm........I though we might be higher than Basrah.

Old
05-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Not bad. I think it was back in, oh, let's say 1987, when Bob Cole thought you briefly had the Thunder Bay Lightning. But apparently they have relocated to warmer climes these days. It might not count for much, but I think it's better than anything that Gweru or Basrah have ever managed...

Old
05-13-2004, 02:22 PM
HFXMooseHabs

Maybe Kansas City?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sport...ory?id=1800412

Old
05-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:

Bad news, Gweru have just been awarded the Goat Herders Olympic Games for 2008 which would put them ahead of Thunder Bay on the NHL's list.

Old
05-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhoginthebest
Pittsburg is going to change of town but... where? There are juste a little bit of fans that go see them play.

I know that english is the second language (though admittedly that was much better than my french would have been), but it is Pittsburgh . . .and more than a 'little bit' of fans go to the games, just over 11,000 per game which when you consider that they had the 2nd worst record last year, worst this year, is not so bad. Several proposals are on the board for a new arena, including one with no tax dollars being asked for (still being examined to see what the catch is) and it seems that adding slot machines to the race tracks will fund an arena if they go the government route. The Pens have no multi-millionaire or corporate owner and that hamstrung them as to some contracts, but much of their dismantling of the team was in anticipation of the new CBA, and betting that it would include a Cap, that being much more the reason for the fire sale than finances. Too many read the Jagr trades, etc as the Pens about to go under. Many other teams are close to financial problems with debt ratios very high, but not the Pens, they have a core of young players that have the fans excited (and the Pens did average almost 16,000 a game not too long ago) and financial flexibility to pick off top players if the cap comes out as they seem to be hoping. Saaaay, perhaps a certain ex-pen who talks of returning to the Pens from his current Habs home. And other teams have done the same shedding of salaries this year, including the Caps, the Pens were just ahead of the curve.

So dream on about the Pens elsewhere, it is not happening.

Old
05-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8
Bad news, Gweru have just been awarded the Goat Herders Olympic Games for 2008 which would put them ahead of Thunder Bay on the NHL's list.

DAMN!!!! I though the Goat Herders Games were going to be in Thunder Bay in '08!!!!!

I guess that means Mcphee is heading to Gweru in '08.

Remember Mcphee....you are Canada's best hope....make us proud (I guess this is a little early...where are the '04 Games being held).

Old
05-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
DAMN!!!! I though the Goat Herders Games were going to be in Thunder Bay in '08!!!!!

I guess that means Mcphee is heading to Gweru in '08.

Remember Mcphee....you are Canada's best hope....make us proud (I guess this is a little early...where are the '04 Games being held).
The '04 Games are on this weekend in McPhee's back yard. I hope he doesn't read this before Saturday, or he's likely to hide his ...umm "costumes".

Tv coverage will be provided by TSN, unless, of course that damned spelling bee is on again.

I hope the weather is appropriate for 'fish net'. It should be quite spectacular.

Old
05-13-2004, 05:27 PM
Aarex

Well Winnipeg IS creating a new stadium

Old
05-13-2004, 05:34 PM
saskhab

no owner WANTS to take on a new NHL team right now. Pittsburgh will be in Pittsburgh for a few years at least. Which is good, since I think that losing a city which has seen 2 Cups in recent history is just plain wrong. Winnipeg is a tough market for the NHL. Not big, bad time zone for TV, not close to many other NHL cities, etc. Portland is in a similar boat, but a better time zone. Houston might draw the interest of the NHL after Dallas' success...

Old
05-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Garnet

Pittsburg

The new CBA is going to kill Pittsburg in my opinion. The Owner are said to be asking for a min. 30M salary cap and the people I talk to say thats setting up for an actually 40M salary cap. Pittsburgs payroll was 20 something million and were struggling with finances. The town of Pittsburg is refusing to build a new arena and the Melon arena is a dump. Mario is owed cash out of the franchise. Not sure the amount exactly but something like 60M??? Not sure. He's loosing money and will sell the team to collect. The economist are stating after the election in the USA The amercian dollar is going to fall and I mean a lot. To about a 85-90 cent Canadian dollar which kill manufacting and foregin investment in the USA. The President is going to have to start another war to keep the economy moving.

Sorry just trying to give a little insight.

Closed Thread