HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bulis is overated imo, what do you think..............???

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Habsaku

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
He is a roster spot, but not a player that should ever block a promising prospect from getting ice time.

If I chose between him and Ward.....Ward all the way.

Good one, Bulis is 26 and Ward is 25 so you can put the promising part down the toilet. Ward has very very little to work with, he'll top out probably as a 3rd liner if he gives 110% while Bulis can top as a capable 2nd liner. Theres nothing Ward has on Bulis other then physicall play, but even then, he's 5 pounds lighter...

Old
05-12-2004, 04:30 PM
FF de Mars

Bulis is a filler

He's a filler, in the sense of building a contending team, not on the same level than Dags ! I don't mind him, and I don't want him out the team, but I don't think that Bulis on the 3rd line is a step forward towards having a championship team: he doesn't see the play : NO ICE VISION, he can't pass, he is not physical, and he looses the puck way too often. He doesn't play hard enough, and I'd like to have someone more combative take his spot. Finally, I'd like BG to trade him for a defencemen because that is our bviggest need.

Old
05-12-2004, 04:31 PM
mcphee

If one of your scoring lines needs some speed for puck possession or leading the forecheck,Bullis can be useful. His lack of finish hurts though. He really seemed low on confidence late in the year I thought. He reminds me of Rejean Houle as a player. He does a job well over a short period but never seems to establish what exactly his role is.

Old
05-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars
He's a filler, in the sense of building a contending team, not on the same level than Dags ! I don't mind him, and I don't want him out the team, but I don't think that Bulis on the 3rd line is a step forward towards having a championship team: he doesn't see the play : NO ICE VISION, he can't pass, he is not physical, and he looses the puck way too often. He doesn't play hard enough, and I'd like to have someone more combative take his spot. Finally, I'd like BG to trade him for a defencemen because that is our bviggest need.

You suddenly have given me interest in knowing what you think about other players because I dont see what the hell your talking about. Doesnt play hard enough? ok....

Old
05-12-2004, 05:11 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
You suddenly have given me interest in knowing what you think about other players because I dont see what the hell your talking about. Doesnt play hard enough? ok....
When I say he doesn't play hard enough I mean that he doesn't give banging body checks, doesn't win battles, and does not play a finesse game (I won't go that far), but doesn't get dirty either. We need a meaner and more combative 3rd liner than Bulis IMO.

Old
05-12-2004, 05:50 PM
RyanWhite53

Send a message via MSN to RyanWhite53
Jan Bulis is good defensively. However, I think Begin and Ward have passed him in a variety of defensive areas, whether it be on the PK, blocking shots, etc.

But, I think he is still an important player to this team, and if he ever finds his scoring touch, lookout, I've never seen anyone with as many quality chances he gets.

This isn't meant to be an insult, but offensively, Jan Bulis reminds me very much of Oleg Petrov. Fast, creative, able to get open. But his hands turn to stone at exactly the wrong time.

Old
05-12-2004, 06:05 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Good one, Bulis is 26 and Ward is 25 so you can put the promising part down the toilet. Ward has very very little to work with, he'll top out probably as a 3rd liner if he gives 110% while Bulis can top as a capable 2nd liner. Theres nothing Ward has on Bulis other then physicall play, but even then, he's 5 pounds lighter...
I think you got it all wrong. What Joe Cole said is Bulis does deserve a roster spot on the third line (or 2nd line at best, depending of injuries) but should not be blocking promising prospects who also deserve some ice time such as Chris Higgins, Tomas Plekanec and Alexander Perezhogin.

Old
05-12-2004, 06:23 PM
tritone

I wouldn't say he's an elite third liner . But in response to Your comment about him being overrated, I don't think there are many people who actuallyt DO think he's elite. I think a year ago Bulis was so underrated that a lot of fans are overcompensating and maybe praising him for what they had previously overlooked.
But getting down to the nitty gritty , I don't think he's overrated at all . He is what he is , a good third liner, not the best , not the worst ...And I think most fans feel that way too.

Old
05-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by velimiiro
If Bulis was scoring like he did last year this thread wouldn't of came up

simple as that

:/
Ribs was our top scorer this season, and he took alot of heat. So your comment has no logic to it

Old
05-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Bulis Is a good 3rd liner and an effective PK guy,I just hope management will finally understand that this guy Is no good on an offensive line,he just can't seem to be able to score, he often miss the net.This said,I really think we need to keep him,I love this guy, but on a checking line

Old
05-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future=Hossa
Bulis Is a good 3rd liner and an effective PK guy,I just hope management will finally understand that this guy Is no good on an offensive line,he just can't seem to be able to score, he often miss the net.This said,I really think we need to keep him,I love this guy, but on a checking line
I agree, hes not exactly a finisher, but he can be usefull too fill in from time to time on the top 6.

Old
05-12-2004, 08:04 PM
EaGLE1

I actually like Jan Bulis. True, he is like Rejean Houle by missing easy scoring opportunities. And when he do that...we

He have good hands but like a poster said, they turn to stone at the wrong time I don't know why. I think it's his confidence level when he is near the goal. He freeze.

Other than that, he is the fastest & maybe the better all-around skater on our team. I don't know who but a poster on this board have an avatar of him controlling the puck and he looks like an all-star. He looks impressive.

Other things i like about Jan is his defensive awareness. Also this guy always give everything he got. And that fit well with CJ mentality for our team. And in the playoffs he was robust. He is not affraid or receiving a bodycheck nor giving one.
He have good size as well.

16 goals 2 years ago, 13 this year. Not bad at all without PP time. He is no Lehtinen but he's a very good 3rd line player. All this guy need is finishing skills.

Old
05-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Howie Morenz

I would like him more if he had a little more polish around the net. Just because you are defensively aware doesn't mean you shouldn't bury the puck when there is a yawning cage in front of you. I do agree with the poster who mentioned he backs away along the boards and often gets beat for loose pucks while not wanting to get hit.

Old
05-12-2004, 08:22 PM
tinyzombies

With Bulis' output this year on the scoring line, he would have had 20+ goals in a full season on a scoring line. Not too shabby.

I like him, he's a versatile player and he doesn't let up even when Julien takes him off a scoring line.

He's got a lot of character and is our best forechecker and backchecker, though he's only average defensively.

Bulis and Begin are dynamite together too. I'd like to see that combo more often somehow.

Higgins isn't going to play center, they're grooming him for left wing. He's no good at faceoffs.

Old
05-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Kirk Muller

He is the type of player EVERY teams needs. He is big, fast, good defensively, good work ethic, kills penalties yet doesn't take stupid ones himself, creates chances although doesn't always capitalize. He basically plays all three forward positions, never complains about being bounced around the lineup. He is a true team player and that is what CONTENDERS have in plenty of supply.

These filler comments are nothing short of ridiculous. Funny a guy like Begin was nothing but filler now he is gold.

Old
05-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
He is the type of player EVERY teams needs. He is big, fast, good defensively, good work ethic, kills penalties yet doesn't take stupid ones himself, creates chances although doesn't always capitalize. He basically plays all three forward positions, never complains about being bounced around the lineup. He is a true team player and that is what CONTENDERS have in plenty of supply.

These filler comments are nothing short of ridiculous. Funny a guy like Begin was nothing but filler now he is gold.
My sentiments exactly.

I find that he is able to find space on the ice which creates plenty of offensive chances. Mind you he is not a finisher but that is something he can work on. He is only 25 and is one of the best skaters on the team.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
As for the topic of this thread....

I don't consider Bulis a top checker in the league right now. But at 25 I believe he has the potential/tools to become one. He has good size, excellent speed/acceleration, good penalty killer and a good forechecker. If he fine tunes his offensive game then he can easily be a 20 goal man which is great for a checking forward.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:27 AM
Double XX L

I dont think Bulis is overrated, He's the team's key cog, he suits the third line very well, but can fill in for the top lines if need be to add forchecking. Bulis is the guy who always is coming in putting pressure down low, getting the cycle going... Begin can dop so as well, but Bulis is already a solid piece to the team, and his best years are well ahead of him.

What is really good about Jan is that though I dont consider him top grade defensive material, is he's so responsible. He knows his role well, and plays it well. When Hossa and Kastsitsyn do arrive, Bulis IMO is a very sharp fit on the third line. He's one of the best 'insurance player' in the league.

Old
05-13-2004, 03:09 AM
s7ark

Wow. I'm surprised that so many people are down on Bulis. He's not an elite 3rd line player, but what team under 50 mil has one? I know, there are plenty of examples, but for those of you who respond, try keeping it to LW 3rd liners (and then look at the salaries). We've got one of the, best defensively speaking. Excellent on the PK, plays almost completely under the radar, which is good because it means he's not appearing as a pylon on the highlights of the night. Not bad for a guy making under 1.2 mil IMO.

Old
05-13-2004, 08:15 AM
Roots73

I agree with what Ghost said... he is a key cog to this team. Sure he runs hot and cold on the scoresheet but at least you can count on him putting in a good effort every game.

Also consider what we gave up to get him. Zed/Bulis for Linden/Zubris?? Zed and Bulis combined for 80 points this year and was #4 & #7 in scoring respectively. Linden had 36 points while Zubris had 27 during an injury plagued season. So overall I consider Bulis as an upgrade.

But is he overrated??? No. He may not be amongst the elite but he does contribute. I say if anything he's slightly underrated.

Old
05-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Ya got me on that one (i.e. Ward's age). I used Ward, but I meant that whatever Bulis is to the Habs, he has shown his ceiling.

So, take the guy he is today. Did he do well when he was on the first two lines? Does he stack up against a 1st or second line player from Philly, Toronto, or Ottawa?

You should not judge him versus the rest of the Habs, but against the rest of the elite teams in our division. The reason, we want to build a team to be the best in the league regardless of the players we have on the current roster. If we fall in love with players, we do not see them for who they are, in the context of the NHL as a whole.

I thnk Bulis has been a decent player for the Habs, but I do not consider him a cornerstone of the team. Until we draft, trade or develop a better player, he is just keeping their place warm.

Old
05-13-2004, 10:19 AM
GilleZ

Look at what Ville Neminem is doing with Calgary!!! Bulis is definitly a keeper!! I'm sure you keep Bulis and Begin on the same line next year and they will be hard to contain!!

Old
05-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Hab-Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by velimiiro
If Bulis was scoring like he did last year this thread wouldn't of came up

simple as that

:/
Bulis wasn't scoring like he was last year, so this thread did come up...
Mooch also brings up a good point...

Old
05-13-2004, 12:12 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Ribs was our top scorer this season, and he took alot of heat. So your comment has no logic to it
Ribs got heat for not giving an effort and for faking a seizure on the ice. Bulis always gives 110% and never complains when he gets tossed around the lineup. He's our best skater, plays well defensively, and works hard. If he could work on his shot and his stickhandling, he'd be a good secondliner. And for those saying he's reached his ceiling, the kid's only 26 and only has a couple things to work on to be a really good player. I agree with the previous poster who said tha if he had gotten 5 more goals, far less people would be complaining. This was an off year for Bulis, you can look at his low +/- this year but if you look at last year, he ahd the best +/- on the team.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:18 PM
BLONG7

Bulis is a great third line guy that can skate,hit,and does whatever is asked of him without ever complaining. If he could get lucky on occasion and finish a little better I think everyone here would be impressed by his totals without getting any PP time. He's a keeper, and he is not overrated.

Closed Thread