HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What have we learned about the Canucks 2010?

Old
05-12-2010, 02:11 AM
droid56

vCash: 500
What have we learned about the Canucks 2010?

After this regular season, I think we were hopeful that we would be more competitive in a playoff series against Chicago. Some people even thought we were significant Stanley Cup contenders (me included).

But now I realize certain things about our team.

Our key players, Luongo, the two Sedins, and Kesler, are unlikely to lead any team to a Stanley Cup. Luongo is streaky, the Sedins can be negated with a strong defensive effort, and Kesler was surprisingly absent from the three stars. I'm not saying we should get rid of any of them, (and do their contracts even allow that), but I am worried that our biggest contracts involve players that I doubt have what it takes to succeed in the playoffs.

We don't have enough players willing to pay the price when the going gets tough.

Our defense needs two or three significant additions during the off-season.

Roberto should let someone else be captain.

We need more toughness.

This team shouldn't be blown up, but some significant changes are needed if we are ever to seriously challenge for the Cup in the next few years.

droid56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:15 AM
King of Anarchy

Defence = bad.

Really bad.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:15 AM
NuxFan09

They're still mediocre.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Dado

vCash:
We've learned they are fundamentally no different than the 2003 edition.

And we all know how not blowing up that "promising" team ended up.

Old
05-12-2010, 02:17 AM
Canucker

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but whatever. This team is missing a Matt Cooke type player. Yes, I understand he's a cheap POS, but he is effective. We didn't have ANYONE who got in on the forecheck fast enough or anyone who effectively laid the body on anyone. Chicago's defense got out of this series without a blemish and at this point of the playoffs it's just not acceptable. There are a lot of deficientcies on this team and I think that is a big one.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:20 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Still needs tweaking but we are closer than people think.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:21 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but whatever. This team is missing a Matt Cooke type player. Yes, I understand he's a cheap POS, but he is effective. We didn't have ANYONE who got in on the forecheck fast enough or anyone who effectively laid the body on anyone. Chicago's defense got out of this series without a blemish and at this point of the playoffs it's just not acceptable. There are a lot of deficientcies on this team and I think that is a big one.
Does Alex Burrows have a younger brother?

Old
05-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
We didn't have ANYONE who got in on the forecheck fast enough...
Isn't that what Burrows & Kesler are supposed to do?

Old
05-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
They are supposed to but I have yet to see either of them deliver a check that would hurt. At least with Cooke you could see he was steaming into his hits with authorita.

Old
05-12-2010, 02:27 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
They're supposed to. Did they? I'll let you answer that.

Wake me up when we have guys that actually do what they're supposed to do.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:29 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
I think managerial ineptitude should be added to the list of concerns.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
They're supposed to. Did they? I'll let you answer that.

Kesler has a solid excuse. Burrows? Unless we learn something in the next couple of days, he has no good reason to explain why he played the way he did.

Oh, and yes, having an injury is a solid excuse. Especially when you're complaining about Kesler not hitting guys.

Old
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
I think you're in for a long rest.

Old
05-12-2010, 02:30 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Defence = bad.

Really bad.
Mitchell = a lot more important than we thought

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:31 AM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 753
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Sometimes a team just isn't good enough.

We need to finish 1st or 2nd in the conference to be considered legit contenders. We are a lot closer to the teams below us than the two teams ahead of us.

Need to build a roster with forwards that pay more attention to details, and defenseman that play a smart game(play within their limitations). Good PK(besides goaltending) is a result of smart defenseman and forwards paying attention to detail. No surprise the team failed hard on the PK.

Getting the team to buy into being devoted defensively and cuttting down careless turnovers. As bad as the defense was during the playoffs i have to say the forwards didn't do them any favours. Team was guilty of being too aggressive the minute they got down a goal.

Defense needs to be built with the playoffs in mind, namely handling Chicago/San Jose. A legit Shutdown pairing must be established come next years playoffs. Ehrhoff, Salo, etc can't handle shutdown minutes.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:33 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
No that's solid. Burrows used to be this kind of guy but he doesn't hit with any power anymore, and Bernier didn't play enough/wasn't fast enough to have an impact.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Red

The defense needs a revamp. Acquiring Hamhuis/Volchenkov, getting rid of Bieksa and playing SOB in a sheltered, defined role are essential.

We also didn't have the depth on our 3rd and 4th lines to compete with the Hawks. Those lines need more size and more actual penalty killing ability instead of Ryan Johnson's flailing attempts at shotblocking.

I also thought this series showed we were missing that one wrecking ball player who just hits all over the ice. The Hawks were hurting us left right and center with their hits and Kesler and Burrows, while agitators, are really not guys that hurt you when they forecheck. They can burn you in other ways (ie. speed) on the forecheck when they're on the top of their game but they don't make a single defenseman afraid to go into the corners, and by the end of this series, our defensemen looked terrified of going into the corners.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Kesler has a solid excuse. Burrows? Unless we learn something in the next couple of days, he has no good reason to explain why he played the way he did.

Oh, and yes, having an injury is a solid excuse. Especially when you're complaining about Kesler not hitting guys.
I would argue then that Kesler shouldn't have been getting the minutes he was if he was so injured that he couldn't play to that level. That is a big part of Kesler's game and if he can't play physical he's not going to be effective.

Old
05-12-2010, 02:42 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

I've learned that O'Brien loves the Roxy Night Club, Kesler is a gangster thug, Ryan Johnson sucks, Salo is a baller and Luongo be floppin!

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:45 AM
gradin123

Quote:
You are absolutely right. Why settle for a Cooke like player when Cooke is a free agent this offseason and can be had for cheap.

Seriously the Canucks have too many useless pluggers who don't score and also are not effective agitators.(Rypien,Glass,Ryan Johnson,etc.).

Because of all the bad publicity Cooke has gotten it is unlikely he will get more than a one or two year contract at about $1.5Million per. The Canucks nearly paid Ryan fricking Johnson that much this year.

gradin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:51 AM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradin123 View Post
You are absolutely right. Why settle for a Cooke like player when Cooke is a free agent this offseason and can be had for cheap.

Seriously the Canucks have too many useless pluggers who don't score and also are not effective agitators.(Rypien,Glass,Ryan Johnson,etc.).

Because of all the bad publicity Cooke has gotten it is unlikely he will get more than a one or two year contract at about $1.5Million per. The Canucks nearly paid Ryan fricking Johnson that much this year.
As long as AV is coaching, Cooke will never sign here. To be honest, I'd hate to see Cooke back on this team, we need at least one punishing hitter, but there's a difference between a punishing hitter and a dirty, gutless player like Cooke.

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:53 AM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

I've learned that the Sedins need a big skilled winger with them that can clear the way for them in the playoffs. You can't have a water bug like Alex Burrows or a non-hitter like Samuelsson playing with them.

There's a reason Toews and Kane had such massive series against the Canucks, especially the last 4 games. They had ROOM to operate without fear of reprisal. I don't care if they play the guy with the twins during the regular season... just have somebody with an ill will and a body to bring it to play with them in the playoffs.

I would think we'd have to make a trade as the UFA market is slim in this regard and we have no real prospects that fit the bill.

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJibbs View Post
As long as AV is coaching, Cooke will never sign here. To be honest, I'd hate to see Cooke back on this team, we need at least one punishing hitter, but there's a difference between a punishing hitter and a dirty, gutless player like Cooke.
I was thinking more along the lines of Raffi Torres. Steve Ott would have been my first choice but he was re-signed by Dallas not too long ago.

Old
05-12-2010, 02:56 AM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of Raffi Torres. Steve Ott would have been my first choice but he was re-signed by Dallas not too long ago.
I would love to see Raffi Torres on the Canucks. He's the type of guy you just hate to see playing against your team.

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:59 AM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Quote:
My thoughts exactly... Torres is still on the small side. Backes out of St. Louis would be IDEAL if we can trade for him, though there is a tonne of bad blood between the two management teams. You never know though...

petrishriekandgo is offline   Reply With Quote