HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2004, 01:17 PM
spence___

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittengineer
The 4th is from my proposed trade in my first thread. I was just guessing that some team between 6-10 spots back might want to jump up for our pick, while giving us their 2nd and a 4th.

I think Moran pick was last year.
Yeah, it was the pick that landed us Paul Bissonette.

Old
05-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence___
What of Voloshenko? I noticed he was ranked 19th.
I think hes way to slow to ever make a serious impact in the nhl. But he is very talented though. Maybe Vancouvers 2nd, if hes still there.

Old
05-13-2004, 02:59 PM
DJ Spinoza

I don't see a logical trade happening to move up, unless a team wants two picks. The only option would be to trade guys that as a rebuilding team you can't move. And I'm not saying blindly pick a guy who hasn't made the NHL yet. I'm talking about Whitney, Orpik, Koltsov, these guys. And that's maybe.

Those kinds of trades don't happen. The best thing to do is to stick at 31 and take a little bit of a risk on a player.

Old
05-13-2004, 05:42 PM
MagnusJondus
Faneca meets Stanley

I'd bet that Wheeler goes late first round like Brian Boyle did last year. With the uncertainty of the league, any college/euros may be bumped up because they don't need to be signed in two years or less.

Wheeler may even play a year in the USHL, so that means 5 years until he needs to be signed. And if you consider that teams at the end of the first round tend to go for upside since they have good NHL talent already... I think he'll be gone by #31.

Old
05-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusJondus
I'd bet that Wheeler goes late first round like Brian Boyle did last year. With the uncertainty of the league, any college/euros may be bumped up because they don't need to be signed in two years or less.

Wheeler may even play a year in the USHL, so that means 5 years until he needs to be signed. And if you consider that teams at the end of the first round tend to go for upside since they have good NHL talent already... I think he'll be gone by #31.

Good thinkng, and I agree with you 100%. Hes been hyped for the last couple of months. McKeens really loves this kid, and I can see why, he could/should be a good one.

Old
05-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
I don't see a logical trade happening to move up, unless a team wants two picks. The only option would be to trade guys that as a rebuilding team you can't move. And I'm not saying blindly pick a guy who hasn't made the NHL yet. I'm talking about Whitney, Orpik, Koltsov, these guys. And that's maybe.

Those kinds of trades don't happen. The best thing to do is to stick at 31 and take a little bit of a risk on a player.
Well, there is no way I would want to move up at that cost. I'd be willing to part with the jagr trade boys, or someone like Pirijeta (all of whom I like, I'd just be willing to move them. I'm not sure of Pirjeta's contract status.

Side note: what is Rico Fata's contract status? even though he has very little value.

Old
05-13-2004, 10:35 PM
MagnusJondus
Faneca meets Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
The best thing to do is to stick at 31 and take a little bit of a risk on a player.
I agree with standing pat at #31. Since we have so many picks this year, and considering the success we've had in the later rounds, it makes sense to hold onto all of them. Someone might counter this by saying that we already have a ton of depth in the system, and that point is well taken. But if we move picks and trade up, and have one bad draft year overall, all this depth we have that is such a luxury could be in jeopardy. And if you also consider the success we've had with college/USHL players (Welch, Eaves, Murley, Malone, etc.) who are usually grabbed up in the 2nd to 4th RD range I say take as many "project" players as possible and give them 4 years to develop in college.

Stockpiling "project" european players also makes sense as you don't have to sign them for I think 6 years from draft date. In that respect, you can also bring them into to fill holes as the organizational depth starts to fail over the years. However, many GMs feel the pressure to bring euros over earlier to get them acclimated to the game/culture here. With college players, there is no pressure in this respect.

Old
05-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusJondus
I agree with standing pat at #31. Since we have so many picks this year, and considering the success we've had in the later rounds, it makes sense to hold onto all of them. Someone might counter this by saying that we already have a ton of depth in the system, and that point is well taken. But if we move picks and trade up, and have one bad draft year overall, all this depth we have that is such a luxury could be in jeopardy. And if you also consider the success we've had with college/USHL players (Welch, Eaves, Murley, Malone, etc.) who are usually grabbed up in the 2nd to 4th RD range I say take as many "project" players as possible and give them 4 years to develop in college.

Stockpiling "project" european players also makes sense as you don't have to sign them for I think 6 years from draft date. In that respect, you can also bring them into to fill holes as the organizational depth starts to fail over the years. However, many GMs feel the pressure to bring euros over earlier to get them acclimated to the game/culture here. With college players, there is no pressure in this respect.
I agree with drafting projects for sure. There is a real logjam developing in the system, so if possible grab up the BPA who can hopefully maybe step right in, other than look to guys who are a few years away, but hopefully have a "home run" possibility.

Old
05-14-2004, 11:29 AM
BGMsax

NO NO NO

This is what is going to happen.

Out of no where CP makes the deal of the century. By sending Rico Fata and the rights to Jagr's old jockstrap he drop while running out of here for Washington's first pick of the draft.
So the Pens get AO and Malkin the next year both score 90 points. Pens win the cup while a new stadium is being built next store.

sorry just woke up from a great dream

Closed Thread