HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

henrik sedin|who?

Old
05-12-2010, 12:20 PM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

vCash: 500
henrik sedin|who?

what player from the past do you guys think henrik sedin compares to the most?

i fell on the stats of craig janney and said to myself 'that's the guy'

now janney never won a art ross or finished top three in hart voting but the guy has spooky stats considering assists

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
seventieslord

I think comparing Henrik to Janney, now that Henrik has proven his worth as a truly elite player, is a disservice to him. Janney was top-10 in assists four times, but never top-10 in points. Henrik has blown him away already with his art ross. Janney is also one of the biggest examples of a soft, one-dimensional forward who was disinterested defensively. (however, he managed to put up big playoff numbers)

I think a closer comparison would be a prime Jason Allison before the major injury. Allison from 98-02 was among the best per-game point producers and more elite than Janney ever was, yet was rarely mentioned among the game's 5-10 best forwards (even today, most people would take Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Backstrom, Zetterberg, and probably Thornton over Sedin). He was also not an excellent defensive or physical player, but could hold his own, similar to Henrik.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 01:35 PM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

Quote:
Janney is also one of the biggest examples of a soft, one-dimensional forward who was disinterested defensively
well, many considers the sedins, while not one dimensional or sloppy defensively, to be soft

henrik's highest vs janney's highest is also very close

goals 29|26
assists 83|82
points 112|106

Old
05-12-2010, 02:02 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
well, many considers the sedins, while not one dimensional or sloppy defensively, to be soft

henrik's highest vs janney's highest is also very close

goals 29|26
assists 83|82
points 112|106
- Janney was a whole other level of softness.

- Janney's best years were in the early 90s. Goals and assists were about 20% easier to come by, than they are now.

Old
05-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Big Phil

While I concur that Henrik hasn't led his team anywhere yet I have no doubt in my mind who I would want my best player to be if I ever wanted to win anything. That answer it Henrik

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 03:09 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I think comparing Henrik to Janney, now that Henrik has proven his worth as a truly elite player, is a disservice to him. Janney was top-10 in assists four times, but never top-10 in points. Henrik has blown him away already with his art ross. Janney is also one of the biggest examples of a soft, one-dimensional forward who was disinterested defensively. (however, he managed to put up big playoff numbers)
By passing to one of the greatest scorers in playoff history.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
While I concur that Henrik hasn't led his team anywhere yet I have no doubt in my mind who I would want my best player to be if I ever wanted to win anything. That answer it Henrik
Completely agreed. There isn't one player in the league I would rather have for a playoff run than Henrik Zetterberg.

In all seriousness, Zetterberg is quickly becoming one of the best playoff shutdown forwards of all-time. Although he didn't do much shutting down this year against Joe Thornton, his line definitely was more effective on Thornton than Datsyuk's line was. Thornton toyed with Datsyuk.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Completely agreed. There isn't one player in the league I would rather have for a playoff run than Henrik Zetterberg.

In all seriousness, Zetterberg is quickly becoming one of the best playoff shutdown forwards of all-time. Although he didn't do much shutting down this year against Joe Thornton, his line definitely was more effective on Thornton than Datsyuk's line was. Thornton toyed with Datsyuk.
Sorry, just to clear things up, I was solely using the Sedin vs. Janney comparison. I just said I would choose Sedin over Janney, not just anyone and certainly not over Zetterberg

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Sorry, just to clear things up, I was solely using the Sedin vs. Janney comparison. I just said I would choose Sedin over Janney, not just anyone and certainly not over Zetterberg
I believe he was making a joke regarding the name Henrik.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:32 AM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I think comparing Henrik to Janney, now that Henrik has proven his worth as a truly elite player, is a disservice to him
i can't say i'm trying to make him any services, he can only make himself services by playing the game

i was more interested in a former player that you can make a comparison from ... i read on janney's wiki that he, at the time he played in the nhl and for the us national team, was considered by the nhl alumni board [whatever that is?] in 2004 to have 'the softest hands in hockey'

now in today's nhl you can consider a guy like henrik sedin to have 'the softest hands in hockey' ... that's pretty much what he builds his game on, smooth passing

Old
05-13-2010, 11:25 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
i can't say i'm trying to make him any services, he can only make himself services by playing the game

i was more interested in a former player that you can make a comparison from ... i read on janney's wiki that he, at the time he played in the nhl and for the us national team, was considered by the nhl alumni board [whatever that is?] in 2004 to have 'the softest hands in hockey'

now in today's nhl you can consider a guy like henrik sedin to have 'the softest hands in hockey' ... that's pretty much what he builds his game on, smooth passing
That's fine, I just don't think he is the best comparison. I think Jason Allison, a guy who was stronger, more resilient, and less one-dimensional than Hanney makes more sense.

Old
05-13-2010, 12:29 PM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextune View Post
By passing to one of the greatest scorers in playoff history
cam neely is that you? ... i like you guy but don't you think you were supported at least an ounce by playing with good passers as craig janney and adam oates?

Old
05-13-2010, 01:08 PM
jkrx

I'd say that he plays a more similiar game like Oates.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote