Notices

Wild re-up with FSN, Chris Snow fired, Broadcasters under evaluation

Old
05-12-2010, 01:49 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Wild re-up with FSN, Chris Snow fired, Broadcasters under evaluation

From Russo's blog, it looks like he might have competition for the Strib job now that Snow's back on the unemployment line.* Other notes:
-The team is looking to air all of their games on FS North in 2011-2012. With the T-Wolves and Gophers hockey still on there, I hope this is a sign that they will get rid of tape delays and broadcast an alternate channel like the rest of the world.

-Terhaar and Greenlay haven't signed a contract yet. There's still hope!

-Games will still be on KSTC next year.

-It's unknown how many games will be shown in HD.

*That's not true at all as Snow wants to remain in sports management.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?

Last edited by GopherState: 05-12-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Testing out the new prefix
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Jbcraig1883

I never cared for Snow's journalism. But, then again, after Russo, I think we are quite spoiled.

With that said, I am jealous of Snow. He's only a year older than I am and gets to work in hockey management. If I would have been smarter, I would have tried journalism to get contacts in the hockey world. =P

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 06:17 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Yeah, we are definitely spoiled by having Russo as our beat writer. It's only a matter of time before ESPN or someone scoops him up.

Old
05-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Wild broadcasters under evaluation

As mentioned under Gopher's earlier thread, according to Russo they are all being evaluated for TV and radio.

Tom Reid is likable enough for his Porky Pig-like stammering, and him and Kurtz have been around since the Stars, so I'd like to keep them.

However, when you compare the Twins team on FSN to the Wild, the Wild come up waaaay short. They need some ex-Minnesota hockey guy who is knowledgeable and funny like Bert Blyleven to step up for the Wild and replace Greenlay, who has no ties to Minnesota hockey whatsoever. Terhar's voice grates on me horribly, so I'd like to see him out as well. Gorg is kind of the Coomer equivalent, and has ties to Minnesota hockey so he can stay. Darby has the credentials, but he is too wooden and phony on TV. I'm sure in real life he has some personality, if only he'd let it out. I like Bomber on 45 much better.

Thoughts?

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 11:21 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Bremer is about as lame as lame can get. They need to steer away from a guy similar to him if they get rid of Teerhar. And I'm with you, Teerhar's voice gets the best of me. It's like he's still going through puberty with all of the voice cracking.

How does everybody feel about Clay Matvick? I liked what I heard on the NCAA regionals he has done for ESPN. He could probably grow into the play-by-play role nicely over the course of the season.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:20 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I'd have to say that Darby and/or Bomber are the Wild's version of Coomer as the best player(s) on a horribly bad team. Now all we need is Jimmy Dowd to complete the hat trick.

Old
05-14-2010, 12:28 PM
mnwildgophers

I'd like us to get someone who can 1) say the correct player's names every once in a while and 2) don't have their voice crack every time he gets excited.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't mind the radio guys since I don't really listen to it on the radio, but I'd love to see new TV guys.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Jbcraig1883

Terhaar can't tell the difference between Lats and Mittens. I can't say I've watched a game from where they are but I am certain they have live feeds right in front of them. I can understand getting two players confused that play similarly and are the same size but to get guys confused that do not shoot the same way or play the game quite differently amazes me.

And Gorg tries way too hard. He has better eyebrows than any girl I've ever met...not that I'm paying attention, haha. I am sure he's a nice guy but maybe I'm just boring...he is just too annoying.

I like Kurtz and Reid. I would like to see Greenlay and Terhaar replaced. And after Doug and Frank were let go, who knows what will happen. Matvick and Lapanta have been groomed for awhile, with Lapanta now doing Gophers so maybe Matvick is someone they are looking at.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:32 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

I don't envision watching any Gopher games with Lapanta doing the play-by-play. I can't stand his monotone voice.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:34 PM
mnwildgophers

Lapanta just cracks me up. It will be weird to hear his voice, but I think we'll get used to it.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:35 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

This has more to do with the Gophers, but I really they or the Wild gives Woog a "Coaches Corner" like segment. It's fine that he's not doing the color commentary (Woog has been losing focus with the game speed over the past few years) but he still has interesting analysis and is Minnesota's version of Don Cherry (on more than one level).

Old
05-14-2010, 04:18 PM
djp4516

please get rid of Terhaar

djp4516 is offline   Reply With Quote