HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Dagenais, was this season a fluke?

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Bauerkraut

vCash: 500
Pierre Dagenais, was this season a fluke?

Hey All,

I live out west and unfortunately haven't seen Dagenais play much. He seems to have put up decent goal scoring numbers at every level, and would have projected to 25 goals this season over 82 games in the NHL.

Yet he was scratched on and off and not consistently in the lineup.

What's the deal? Will he stick with the Habs next season and become an everyday player, or do you think he will always be on the fringe?

Thanks for any opinions you can provide.

Old
05-12-2004, 10:56 AM
All-Star

He'll always be on the fringe... He's a shooter who can't play hockey.

Old
05-12-2004, 10:59 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
I don't think his goals total are fluke. He has a wicked shot and the scoring instinct. The problems is that if he doesn't score he is useless.

People always say that he is not willing to play the physical part of the game. I don't think that's because he doesnt want to do so. He's such a bad skater that everytime he goes to hit someone, he's out of position.

Power Skating summer and he's a keeper IMO.

Old
05-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Heck ya.

If we keep him se should be a filler, and nothing more.

Old
05-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
Power Skating summer and he's a keeper IMO.
He's lacking a lot more than skating skills IMO. He has a fantastic shot and a knack for being in the right place at the right time, but that's where the positives in his game end. His passing skills/vision are brutal, he can't carry the puck through the neutral zone to save his life, his defensive awareness is almost non-existent, and he can't throw any kind of a decent hit.

Dags was a decent filler for part of the season, but he is far from a top 6 winger on a playoff team. We have many options that would be much, much better, like Perezhogin, Hossa, Kasty, etc. BG is in the process of taking this team to the next level, and I highly doubt Dagenais is even on the radar screen as being part of those plans.

Old
05-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Habsfunk

I found an old hockey news draft preview which praised Dagenais' size and scoring ability. It also said he couldn't skate and he was soft, but if he could correct one of those two problems he would be a good 2nd line player in the NHL. Judging by this year I would say he hasn't addressed either problem and he's still just a filler. I'll be dissapointed if we can't find a better second line winger to play with Ribs and Ryder this year.

Old
05-12-2004, 11:51 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
He's lacking a lot more than skating skills IMO. He has a fantastic shot and a knack for being in the right place at the right time, but that's where the positives in his game end. His passing skills/vision are brutal, he can't carry the puck through the neutral zone to save his life, his defensive awareness is almost non-existent, and he can't throw any kind of a decent hit.

Dags was a decent filler for part of the season, but he is far from a top 6 winger on a playoff team. We have many options that would be much, much better, like Perezhogin, Hossa, Kasty, etc. BG is in the process of taking this team to the next level, and I highly doubt Dagenais is even on the radar screen as being part of those plans.
True, but a filler with that kind of hand is a keeper

Old
05-12-2004, 11:57 AM
mcphee

I get 2 pictures of Dagenais. One is hime onetiming a Ribeiro pass past a startled goalie. The other is him standing still in the neutral zone hooking at the hip of a rapidly disappearing opposition forward.

Old
05-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Bauerkraut

Thanks all, that helps a lot

Old
05-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Carbo N8

I also have 2 images (scans) of Dagenais:
1 is a brain that doesn't have enough 'Hockey Sense' & the other is a heart that doesn't beat with the passion required to drive him to overcome his weaknesses. Some have compared him to Dave Andrychuk, but I think DA had that intangible that Dags is missing.

I think he has been an adequate filler & he may be for 1 more year, but, if any of our prospects are ready this year, I expect him to be wearing a different uniform.

Old
05-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Capitano

I admire Pierre's scoring ability. I don't like his attitude though, from his body language, he looks like he's not a team player. I've seen him ignore Ryder a few times after he scores and I've never seen this guy smile and talk to a teammate on the bench.

I also read some articles about him putting his back to the play and talking on his cell phone when he was a healthy scratch. I can understand him being upset about being a scratch, but not being a team player is the worst in my opinion.

He does have a great shot and he's always around the net which is good, so if he can improve his attitude I'd be happy. He'll never get much faster, and he probably will never get any tougher, but I don't even care about that. His job is to score, and to be a good teammate.

Cap

Old
05-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Marchy79

If this guy could skate, he'd be second line for sure.
BG, CJ I am sure had a final year end meeting in Montreal, explaining to each player where their role is next year. Dags must pick up his skating. If Dags skated even like Yanic Perrault he'd put up a chance at 30 goals year in, year out.
In his own words, he said he wasn't a project anymore, well, it's time for Pierre to bring the intensity off the ice, and get himself some leg speed. I still see him as a very useful player, as you can't teach anyone the goalscoring knack that Pierre has.

Old
05-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Habsaku

If this season was what you call a fluke, I dont even want to imagine a bad one.

Old
05-12-2004, 03:27 PM
markov`

All-Star got it right...he's a shooter who can't play hockey.

Old
05-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
All-Star got it right...he's a shooter who can't play hockey.
Agreed!

Old
05-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
I hate his game, argghhh he just doesn't have desire like I see in the Flames players

Old
05-12-2004, 08:18 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
If this guy could skate, he'd be second line for sure.
BG, CJ I am sure had a final year end meeting in Montreal, explaining to each player where their role is next year. Dags must pick up his skating. If Dags skated even like Yanic Perrault he'd put up a chance at 30 goals year in, year out.
In his own words, he said he wasn't a project anymore, well, it's time for Pierre to bring the intensity off the ice, and get himself some leg speed. I still see him as a very useful player, as you can't teach anyone the goalscoring knack that Pierre has.
At 26, i don't think a player like him can learn how to skate. I'm a better skater than him already without training everyday. I really don't like this guy. He seems to have bad attitude, he is not a team player. We need to get rid of bad influence like Dagenais. We need players who play with their heart. Damn, it's the same jersey that Richard, Beliveau, Lafleur have weared. Players like Bulis, Koivu, Ryder know that & it shows.

Old
05-12-2004, 08:21 PM
perezhoginthebest

Dagenais = 0. He can do best than that.

Old
05-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Howie Morenz

For the 2nd line to work we need a winger who can skate,put the puck in the net and ckeck. Kind of a carbon copy of Ryder. If we find that guy we may have 2 great lines (if Kovalev signs). Dagenais is definitely not that player.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:42 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
At 26, i don't think a player like him can learn how to skate.
Voila. Some people make me laugh with their "power skating for Dags". He's 26 guys! Its not like the previous team (NJ and FLA) didnt try to improve his skating. Theres nothing to do with him.

Closed Thread