HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Favorite RPG out of these listed:

View Poll Results: ?
Dragon Age Origins 11 11.83%
Fallout 3 29 31.18%
Mass Effect 1 4 4.30%
Mass Effect 2 17 18.28%
Demon's Souls 5 5.38%
Final Fantasy 13 7 7.53%
Valkyria Chronicles 4 4.30%
OBLIVION IV: Elder Scrolls 16 17.20%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-13-2010, 01:07 PM
WeedMan

vCash: 500
Favorite RPG out of these listed:

I played Fallout 3, Demon's Souls and Dragon Age Origins. My favorite would be Fallout 3 followed by Demon's Souls.

WeedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 01:28 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Fallout 3, followed closely by Dragon Age: Origins

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

FF13 followed by Dragon Age.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 02:27 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Fallout 3 in a landslide

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 3753
Fallout 3.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

What is so good about fallout 3 exactly? I was never able to get hooked to that game. Once I leave the vault I find myself lost and I don't know what to do. It seems like the story never picks up, all you do is small side quests all the time. I dunno, Dragon Age was way more fun to me, at least I felt engaged in the story.

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 02:45 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadyens View Post
What is so good about fallout 3 exactly? I was never able to get hooked to that game. Once I leave the vault I find myself lost and I don't know what to do. It seems like the story never picks up, all you do is small side quests all the time. I dunno, Dragon Age was way more fun to me, at least I felt engaged in the story.
Same for me. I don't think I ever even finished Fallout 3. Even Oblivion was more fun.

But yeah Dragon Age was by far my favourite. Tons of replayability.

05-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Fallout 3 has incredible depth, but half of it is completely broken. That probably has the most open world jank out of all the open world games I've played lately. Just stupid stuff where NPCs will get stuck in pathfinding, or animations, stuff doesn't spawn correctly, crap gets glitchy and characters start skipping ahead in dialogue... ugh. Not to mention the combat pales in comparison to any action game.

Dragon Age Origins is very good, but doesn't port very well to consoles. The combat can also be pretty screwy... RPG-based stat-focused combat is just prone to F ups in real time scenarios, and Dragon Age's difficulty demands turn-based decision making. Still, the depth and non-linearity is possibly the most complex thing since Planescape Torment.

Demon's Souls is simply not a game I have time for. So the core idea of gameplay is that the game presents you with rules, you learn the rules, and then learn the behaviors that maximize your effectiveness. Demon's Souls is awful at presenting its gameplay, and awful at informing the player of the ideal behaviors. In a failure-focused game, the only progression is player knowledge, and the game adamantly refuses to explain itself. I feel as if the game only appeals to masochists and mountain climbers.

Valkyria was good. Not great. Some really interesting ideas, just really loose with a lot of things I find important. Like storytelling. It's a problem I find with a lot of Japanese games, not just RPGS... it seems like they have no concept of momentum. Japanese games seem prone to inexplicable peaks and valleys, almost as a rule.

Final Fantasy 13, I enjoyed more than I thought I would. I never would've pictured myself beating that game. Especially after the first 4 or 5 hours. Once again, Japanese design and a stunning lack of pacing. The hell of it is, once you hit chapter 7, the game kicks into overdrive and it becomes a fantastic JRPG. The combat is fresh and manages to be both deep and accessible, and it fixes a lot of insane RPG traditions, like checkpointing before battles.

Mass Effect the former was okay. I actually enjoyed it, I accepted most of its flaws because there was really nothing else like it. After playing Mass Effect 2, going back is about the hardest thing you can do.

And Mass Effect 2 is simply one of the best games released this generation. I put it up with Uncharted 2, Batman, Metal Gear Solid 4 and BioShock as the landmarks of this era. Mass Effect 2 is important in a way that I don't think you're going to recognize until the PS5 is out.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Why isn't KOTOR on this list damn you?

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 03:19 PM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

vCash: 50
Definetly Mass Effect 2.

If any of you own a 360 and haven't played it or have only played the first one I highly recommend you give it a try.

It's probably one of the only single player games that I immediately started a new playthrough after beating it. Just a spectacular game.

Last edited by RipsADrive: 05-13-2010 at 03:29 PM.
RipsADrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Why isn't KOTOR on this list damn you?
Because that game was released seven years ago and everything else is from the seventh generation?

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 03:26 PM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

Also, like some people mentioned, I also just couldn't get into Fallout 3.

I've tried multiple times because I kept hearing people raving about how amazing it was. I tried using different approaches each time but no matter what I did I'd get bored quickly.

Maybe it was just the crappy combat system, but for whatever reason this game just doesn't hold the same appeal for me as it seems to for others.

RipsADrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Birko19

I would say Mass Effect 2 at this point, although I love Fallout 3 and Oblivion all of the sudden is growing big time on me, here's how I ranks them:

Mass Effect 2
Fallout 3
Dragon Age Origins
Mass Effect 1
Oblivion

The rest suck.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 03:59 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadyens View Post
What is so good about fallout 3 exactly? I was never able to get hooked to that game. Once I leave the vault I find myself lost and I don't know what to do. It seems like the story never picks up, all you do is small side quests all the time..
It's pretty simple really...

You go to Megaton, you find out info from a guy there about your dad, go to said location to find your dad, guy will help if you do him a favor, do the favor, return, find out father went to another place, go there, find out where he went now, go to that location, find work and notes regarding what he is doing, go to find someone who knows where item is, find workaround to getting into location to claim item, understand why father left vault, help him attain his goal, learn who the major faction players are and why they want to stop you from attaining goal, get bad ass armor and weapons, engage in epic (yes it is) battle with insanely awesome allies, unravel conspiracy, make ultimate decision regarding the future of you, father, wasteland...

all the while finding tons of unlockables, cool weapons, awesome enemies, playing 100 different ways, and playing the DLC which is by far the best of any game I've had in years.

I don't know how people can't get into the story but hey to each their own. I personally loved this game and it ate up a TON of my time for months and months. Same thing Oblivion did to me as well. Mass Effect is fun but imo wasn't as fun as Fallout 3 meh.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Frankie Spankie

Valkyria Chronicles easily for me. I was meaning to play Dragon Age Origins but refuse to play it on console and am too cheap to buy it at full price on PC. I personally think Fallout 3 is one of the most overrated games of the past decade. Oblivion just isn't my style. The Mass Effect games were pretty fun but I just enjored Valkyria Chronicles much more. I have no interest in the others.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
valkyria chronicles is the best

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 04:33 PM
hao chi

I haven't played all of them, but Mass Effect 2 is probably my favorite. ME1, Valkyria Chronicles, and Fallout 3 are also great.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Zodiac

Demon's Souls by far for me.

I can see how it wont get many votes here, tho. It's a PS3 exclusive, it saw a limited release and was only recently (i think) released in Europe, and its too hardcore for most people to bother with.

Its an awesome experience, tho, if you take the time to learn the game.

I thought it was kinda ridiculous at first, too. I think it was the only game I ever played that, after around 3 hours, I was still no further ahead ...and I really mean I was no further ahead ...I had the exact same stats and I was still at the very beginning of the game with every monster still alive.

I thought it was crazy ...but when I started catching on to things, it started to fall into place. Once I knew the game and how to work it ...it was actually somewhat on the easier side of the equation.

Ended up beating it about 20 times ...and it would only take about 12 hours or so to play through it when you knew exactly what to do. That's if you start from stratch. You can keep playing through the game over and over (with the same character) once you complete it ...but it gets a little harder each time. Depending on how Godly your character is ...you can complete the game pretty quick with each 'new game'. Example, one of my kick ass characters was on 'new game 8' ...which is like 9 playthoughs if you count the original playthrough with that character ...but he was so good, that i could just blow through (sometimes with the help of others) the game in even less than 12 hours. He was around level 300 when I stopped using him. I think the max level you can reach is around 700 or so. Pretty awesome ...but would take forever i'm guessing.

Still ...great game. The ability to leave messages for other people who are in soul forum, the ability to invite 2 of them into the world with you to work together, and the ability for a black phantom soul to invade that world and try to kill you is just too cool.

It also has a great weapon/item system that's somewhat similar to Diablo 2 ...and the ability to upgrade the weapons is reminiscent of the runeword system in Diablo 2. Very addicting anyway.

Fallout 3 is the only other game on that list that I completed. It was a great experience also, but it takes a back seat to Demon's Souls, imo.

Last edited by Zodiac: 05-13-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 07:14 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Out of the games on that list that I have played, I would say Oblivion in a landslide. I think the reason it's not getting as many votes is because it is the oldest on this list, and is not fresh in everyones memory. It's a must play RPG IMO. I didn't enjoy Dragon Age at all, and while FFXIII is really good, the first chapters of the game are bad, really bad. The visuals are stunning and the battle system can be fun, but there are many RPG's that got worse reviews that captivated me much more. I enjoyed Mass Effect, but I would go Oblivion every day of the week.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Oblivion is the best one of those, but I'll tell you, Fallout 3 can really grow on you. It has a surprising amount of depth despite the far more limited number of quests.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Unholy Diver

Fallout 3

I put a few hundred hours into it, more than any other game that I can remember, just couldn't get enough

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Mongo
Mongo likes candy!

Fallout 3 and ME2

Fallout 3 was absolute nirvana for me. I have never put so much time into a console game as I did in F3.

I wish I could take ME1 story and put it in ME2 gameplay and the game would be even better. The ME2 story was extremely dull but the gameplay was great. Even the boring space mining wasn't terrible. ME3 should be one of the best games ever made.

Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:13 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Demon's Souls and Valkyria are the only ones I could tolerate finishing out of the ones I've played, which is all of them but Fallout. Although I'll probably tough it out and finish FF13 eventually.

Bioware should do the writing for developers who actually know how to make a game. Or just do amateur fiction novels.

Last edited by syz: 05-13-2010 at 10:26 PM.
syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:42 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
I loved Fallout 3 and all but I'm absolutely baffled that it's winning this poll. Personally, none of the games on this list can touch either ME1 or ME2. They're in a league of their own.

BreakTheWallsDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:42 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Unless you're the ultimate glutton for punishment, I fail to see how Demon's Souls would be anyone's favorite RPG.

I'm gonna take up an outfield position and say Mass Effect. I thought it was just the right blend of shooter and RPG. Even the Mako sequences, which could probably be replicated by trying to straighten a piece of wet pasta with one hand, produced some entertaining moments. Mass Effect 2 strayed too far to the shooter side. Dragon Age was an absolute mess on the console, Fallout 3 had some wonderful moments but was filled with bugs, and Oblivion was a slightly less buggy medieval fantasy version of Fallout.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote