HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Petition to Respect Richards as Captain Henceforth

Old
05-15-2010, 03:21 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
So when the coach sucked and the SYSTEM sucked and the injuries were a'plenty, it was understandable that he couldn't lead the team.

But now that we have a good coach and good SYSTEM and are largely healthy, he's able to carry them?

You're reaching.

Either he's the leader or he's not. You don't get to check the boxscore before deciding which.
He's young. It's not a reach at all. Stevens didn't have control of his team and the issues with the media and such were extremely distracting. I think Richards has learned A LOT this year. Not only from experience, but through Lappy, Pronger, and a few other guys. I think he is the leader of this team and he will be until he is gone. He is learning and he will end up as one of the best leaders in orange and black history.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:38 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
NHL.com has also noticed Richie definately is Cannon.

You don't believe?
Go NHL.com videocenter -> channel: NHL Library -> Shinedown: Sound Of Madness -video -> 11sec mark.
(I don't know how to link videos from there )
That's pretty fricken' cool. I don't know if that was intentional, but it almost seems like it with the freeze frame and "another loose cannon".

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:43 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
NHL.com has also noticed Richie definately is Cannon.

You don't believe?
Go NHL.com videocenter -> channel: NHL Library -> Shinedown: Sound Of Madness -video -> 11sec mark.
(I don't know how to link videos from there )
Wow.

I think the NHL actually has spys on HFBoards. I mean ****, they get the opinion of a million ****ing fans by being on here.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 09:02 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
He is learning and he will end up as one of the best leaders in orange and black history.
That could very well be.

The list of well-remembered Flyers leaders is pretty short though, you need to do something landmark to get on it.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Signed.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 07:22 AM
DUHockey9

And after last night's game we get the most colorful, honest, "captain like" dialogue we've ever gottan from him. I for one, was impressed with what he said/did.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=529768

Quote:
“That was an old fashioned ass-kicking. They handed it to us right from the get-go,” he said. “I don’t know if we thought we just had to throw our sticks on the ice and it was going to be easy, but give them credit. They played hard. They were all over the ice, they won every puck battle, and obviously it shows with the score.”

“Maybe we got a little cocky or a little full of ourselves just thinking we could go out there and play,” he said. “This was a long way coming. We didn’t play all that well the first couple of games and relied heavily on our power play, and our five-on-five play wasn’t the greatest, either. Like I said, that was just a beat-down.”

Was this game a wake-up call for the club?

“It better be. I’m not calling anyone out except myself leading. It’s going out on the ice and playing for it instead of just going out there and hoping.

“You always say you want to move on after a game and forget about it, but hopefully we can take this bitter taste in our mouths and bring it the next game.”

“It’s my responsibility being the leader and the captain of this team that we were not ready to play. It’s got to change, and obviously, in a hurry.”

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 07:36 AM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Then he better show up for game 4.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I love what Richards said after the game. For once it wasnt the same "we have to play better" or "...a few bad bounces" crap. It was a real, honest, leader speaking from the heart. if you dont think hes going into that locker room today with an all business attitude before they practice your insane. Players will see that on TV and they will respect it.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 07:45 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
Then he better show up for game 4.
The whole team better show up. The only guy that played well IMO, was Kimmo.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
The whole team better show up. The only guy that played well IMO, was Kimmo.
Yeah. It really felt like the whole team got skated through.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Eech

I always have and always will respect Richards as Captain.

Eech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 12:23 AM
FlyersWillRockU
Too Old? Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
He's young. It's not a reach at all. Stevens didn't have control of his team and the issues with the media and such were extremely distracting. I think Richards has learned A LOT this year. Not only from experience, but through Lappy, Pronger, and a few other guys. I think he is the leader of this team and he will be until he is gone. He is learning and he will end up as one of the best leaders in orange and black history.
I totally agree with the bolded!! You can see the difference from even midseason to now in his interviews. I have always loved what he brought to the table and how he has always tried to carry the team on his shoulders NO MATTER WHAT. At times this year it seemed like he was trying to do too much and it did seem like he was having issues with some of the older vets (although none of us will ever know for sure) and it seems like he is starting to embrace them and using their guidance to his advantage. It seems as though he is no longer looking at things like "I am the captain and I don't need to listen to you" to more of a "we are all in this together and all need to lead at one time or another" and embracing the leadership group that Holmgren has constructed.

Anyways had a few beers (nothing better to do up here in Northern Alberta when it is SNOWING...YES SNOWING )and getting a little long winded but I cant wait to watch him continue to mature and hope he retires a Flyer cause I cant honestly see him wearing any other jersey.

SHOW ALL THE HATERS WHAT YOU ARE MADE OF RICHIE AND LETS GET BACK IN THE DRIVERS SEAT TOMORROW!!

Signed

FlyersWillRockU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:19 PM
UseYourAllusion

That is all.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:37 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
watch the highlight of Carter's ENG, Pronger gives Richards a double fist pump and a pat on the back. They do not hate each other

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:43 PM
infidelappel*

"What if Richie didn't play like Clarkie?"

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=618&id=70592

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:45 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I have to say, the way Richards handled the whole trophy ceremony last night was my favorite moment yet of him being the "captain." He totally embraced his role there and was very comfortable in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
watch the highlight of Carter's ENG, Pronger gives Richards a double fist pump and a pat on the back. They do not hate each other
Not that I think the notion that they don't hate each needs to be reinforced by anyone...but if we're talking about good moments between those two, there's also a great one at the end when everyone is celebrating down by Leighton and Pronger and Richards are off to the side.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 01:57 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Mr. Snider speaks:

Quote:
"He's our captain, our leader, we gave him a long-term contract, we love him, we know what he can do and, in a game like this, he showed what he could do," Flyers Chairman Ed Snider told NHL.com.

Old
05-25-2010, 02:01 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Richards Haters have been relegated to the girls' bus like Stef in All The Right Moves.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 05:43 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...richards_N.htm

Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers center Mike Richards' effort in the clinching Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals could be used as a video job description for how an NHL captain is supposed to perform.
Richards had a goal, two assists and was literally a force from Philadelphia's first goal to its last in the Flyers' 4-2 series-clinching win against the Montreal Canadiens.

"He doesn't say much, but he goes out there and goes through everyone," Flyers center Ian Laperriere said. "You want to follow a guy like that."
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/spor...#axzz0oz3EhNOP

Quote:
It isn't that Mike Richards picked up the Prince of Wales Trophy last night, defying the conventional superstition that Lindros so definitively honored, back when. It is that Mike Richards is a captain-and-a-half for this team, the best player on the ice in the series-clinching game against the Montreal Canadiens.

As teammate Simon Gagne said, "Every time we have a big game like that, Richie is always coming strong. I knew if I had to put my money on one player tonight that was going to be the leader out there and lead us to the win, I'll put easily my money on Richie."
http://www.gcobb.com/2010/05/24/mike...rthy-of-the-c/

Quote:
Before the 2008-2009 season, many people questioned the Flyers’ decision to name Mike Richards as the team’s new captain. The doubters questioned whether or not Richards was too young, and not ready for all of the responsibilities that come with the C stitched on to his sweater.

The Flyers inconsistent play over that season didn’t do much to silence the critics. When the Flyers were lost in a terrible funk early this season, many were calling for Richards to have the C removed from his uniform.

Through all of the early season adversity, Ed Snider never budged from his stance regarding his captain. He stood behind Richards, and refused to entertain the idea of removing his title.

In this year’s playoffs, particularly in this series, Richards has shown why the Flyers brass has so much faith in him.
http://www.flyersgoalscoredby.com

Quote:
The younger man I just got gay for.

Old
05-26-2010, 06:57 AM
phillyfanatic

I love it

As Flyer fans, we are very up and down. If you look at the history of most Flyer fans posts, I am sure at some point this season they had something bad to say about Richards. I happen to be very "positive" on this team and on Mike Richards. I think if played against the other teams best and looked at to prevent goals first and score second, he is a perennial Selke Trophy winner. This year, he was asked to be the "offense" for this team and that set him back. However, the biggest setback to Mike Richads career was hitting David Booth. There is no doubt that he stopped hitting after that and stopped playing "Mike Richards" hockey! Well, at some point......he came back. He has been hitting and doing everything we love about him ever since. After the Olympics, it seems that he and Pronger got on the same page and it seems they are ALWAYS first to point out positives in the others games. The truth is, we have one of the best leadership groups in the league with Richards and Pronger. That is an amazing combination.

It is time I put Mike Richards up on the wall, as part of the all-time Flyers. I am too young for Bobby Clarke, but how I feel about Richards and his game is comparable to Lindros (before the crap) and Primeau. It is so awesome that we have these two guys locked up for the next 7+ years!!!! Sweet.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 07:30 AM
CptCannon

If not Captain Henceforth, then Captain Nowandforever.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:48 AM
StandingCow

For a while I said richards was given the C a bit too early, and needed time to learn and mature from kimmo. But, I think he has come a really long way this year, I am sure that is due to help from Kimmo, Prongs and Lappy.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote