Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Memorial Cup Predictions

Old
05-18-2010, 01:53 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Well, Spits will very likely be playing a team from the WHL in the finals, and given it's one game - anything can happen. Kozun could be back for the Hitmen, the Wheaties could play the other goalie...
Which goalie is that the one they shelled for 4 in the 2nd period? Sure it's one game but I love Windsor's position.

RayzorIsDull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 02:13 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
WHL = empty hype.

You cheer for a very good and dominant team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them win another Memorial Cup. But a comment like that is ignorance at its finest.

I realize you think the Spitfires have already won this tournament, but it's not over yet.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 03:03 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post

You cheer for a very good and dominant team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them win another Memorial Cup. But a comment like that is ignorance at its finest.

I realize you think the Spitfires have already won this tournament, but it's not over yet.
I agree the tournament isn't over but there's been a lot of talk from the WHL being superior. Well right now Windsor is 4-0 against the WHL the past two years. That should speak for itself.

RayzorIsDull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 04:49 PM
jughead42

That's the only point I was trying to make. I'm not saying the west teams are crap, but if you listened to the hype going into the last couple tournaments it was supposed to be the west cleaning up. That didn't happen yet, and I'm wondering why. Perhaps the west isn't the best league these days, I'm hardly the only one who thinks that could be the case. I read an article about the top 50 scorers in the NHL and only a miniscule number of them are WHL guys. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1570794/
While I don't doubt the importance of physical play, I can't help but wonder if its emphasis in the WHL is making it more difficult to develop skilled players. It's nice that the 3rd and 4th lines are home to so many western guys, but you need 1st line players to win championships too.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Ottomatic

Windsor has little to play for tonight, with the main goal being to stay healthy. Moncton is playing for their Memorial Cup lives - if I was Moncton I'd come out physical as hell and see if the Spits give up realizing this game is meaningless to them.

Could Moncton go on a run and meet us in the finals - sure they could. Moncton or Calgary or Brandon, it really doesn't matter who at this point.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
4 Bobby ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Which goalie is that the one they shelled for 4 in the 2nd period? Sure it's one game but I love Windsor's position.
Still surprised that Spits fans haven't figured Ottomatic out yet.

4 Bobby ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:08 AM
Spitfire14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Bobby ORR View Post
Still surprised that Spits fans haven't figured Ottomatic out yet.
I figured him out but we keep winning so he can cheer against his own team as much as he wants. One more win!

Spitfire14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:24 PM
travellingman345

This tournament is far from being finished. A best of one - it's anybody's game.

I thought Calgary loss to Windsor was due to 3 poor goals that Jones let in. Other than that Calgary dictated a lot of the play and it could have gone either way.

I am glad Windsor knocked off Moncton last night. It gets rids of the tie breaker game.

Tonight's Brandon / Calgary game doesn't really mean anything, as they will face each other in the Semi's. But it should still be a heated affair. They do not like each other.

travellingman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:44 PM
4 Bobby ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingman345 View Post
This tournament is far from being finished. A best of one - it's anybody's game.

I thought Calgary loss to Windsor was due to 3 poor goals that Jones let in. Other than that Calgary dictated a lot of the play and it could have gone either way.

I am glad Windsor knocked off Moncton last night. It gets rids of the tie breaker game.

Tonight's Brandon / Calgary game doesn't really mean anything, as they will face each other in the Semi's. But it should still be a heated affair. They do not like each other.
Wouldn't the winner get home ice advantage (ie. last change)?

Old
05-19-2010, 05:02 PM
travellingman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Bobby ORR View Post
Wouldn't the winner get home ice advantage (ie. last change)?
I never really thought about that. But that would be true.

The Hitmen need to step it up. They can't afford slow starts to games now.

Old
05-19-2010, 06:13 PM
thomasincanada

Quote:
very true

Quote:
They dictated the play for a while the 2nd period.. but in the 3rd period Windsor stepped it up and Calgary was unable to keep pace. It's easy to blame the goalie and think that it was a fairly even game.. but in reality it wasn't really that close.

That being said it was only one game. Calgary will have a chance to redeem themselves.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Ottomatic

Calgary handled the Wheaties tonight. will very likely do the same again on Friday - they're the better team and the WHL playoffs confirmed that.

Windsor vs Calgary on Sunday will be the match-up, with Calgary hot off a big win on Friday and the Spits off since Tuesday. Calgary will be looking for revenge and Windsor will think it will be just like their first meeting.

I'd rather have to win on Friday than be in the finals since Tuesday.

Old
05-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Ottomatic

Wheaties win in overtime and will go on to meet the Spits on Sunday. Spits will have last change, but Brandon will have home ice advantage. Windsor better forget about that 9-3 game, because that means nothing. Brandon will have all the energy in the world - if Windsor doesn't score early to take the crowd out of it they'll be in trouble. Spits will likely face the other goalie as well. Forget about the first game, and scout and prepare for this game like it's the first meeting.

I'll comeback later with a prediction, but 5-2 Brandon with two empty netters.

Old
05-22-2010, 05:26 AM
cfaub

Quote:
Wheaties win in overtime and will go on to meet the Spits on Sunday. Spits will have last change, but Brandon will have home ice advantage. Windsor better forget about that 9-3 game, because that means nothing. Brandon will have all the energy in the world - if Windsor doesn't score early to take the crowd out of it they'll be in trouble. Spits will likely face the other goalie as well. Forget about the first game, and scout and prepare for this game like it's the first meeting.

I'll comeback later with a prediction, but 5-2 Brandon with two empty netters.
Which other goalie? They faced them both in the first game and put four in on one and five in on the other.

I agree that Brandon will definitely have the crowd behind them and it will definitely be a much closer, better game by both teams but in the end I think Windsor knows what they need to do to win this game.

A close, physical, tight checking game with some flashes of offensive brilliance coming both ways but in the end I think Windsor wins it.

I am definitely expecting a very good game from both sides.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2010, 06:28 AM
hockeylife

Quote:
Wheaties win in overtime and will go on to meet the Spits on Sunday.
Wow! Didn't see that outcome coming. Go Spits!

hockeylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 12:40 AM
dispatch50

they only weak spot i see in brandon is that their goalie seems to give up a weak goal from time to time.

dispatch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Ottomatic

Prediction time -> Windsor 3 - Brandon 6

Spits are over-confident, it's everywhere in any article you read. That has always been their Achilles heel and it's rearing it's ugly head again. Even the city of Windsor has already has a parade announced for tomorrow at 2pm. Spits are wearing shirts with two Mem Cup trophies on the back in Brandon.

Grubauer has had 11 straight good games, he's overdue for a shaky one. Brandon's goalies have been fighting the puck basically the whole series, they're due for a stand-on-their-head game.

It's one game. Anything can happen in one game.

Old
05-23-2010, 10:06 AM
4 Bobby ORR

Quote:

Spits are over-confident, it's everywhere in any article you read. That has always been their Achilles heel and it's rearing it's ugly head again. Even the city of Windsor has already has a parade announced for tomorrow at 2pm. Spits are wearing shirts with two Mem Cup trophies on the back in Brandon.

Grubauer has had 11 straight good games, he's overdue for a shaky one. Brandon's goalies have been fighting the puck basically the whole series, they're due for a stand-on-their-head game.

GO "OTTO" GO

Old
05-23-2010, 11:30 AM
krazy kanuck

The Wheat Kings try to play a tight defensive game because they know they can't run and gun with the Spitfires. The best they can do is hold the Spitfires to 5.

Spits 5, Wheat Kings 1

Cheers,
Shawn

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:12 AM
dispatch50

Quote:

well otto just seems your over-confident attitude rear it's ugly head and has bite you in the ass pretty hard well are your silly predictions and not being able to see what a talented and history setting team the spits where this year.

besides that congrats on all the teams who took part in the mem cup and congrats to the spits for doing something that is hard to do in junior hockey repeat as champs and for harry being a rare captain to raise that cup again for 2 years in row.

dispatch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:56 AM
WheatiesHockey

Congratulations to the Spitfires on their impressive Memorial Cup run.
The Wheat Kings had a very good season, but in the end like tonight, I could see that the Wheaties were seriously over matched.
Overall though it was a great tournament. I met so many great hockey fans from all parts of Canada.
I would have loved a different outcome, but it was not to be tonight.
Its been a 60 year quest for the Wheaties to win the Memorial Cup, and nope the Wheat Kings are not quitting on that quest. Ditto for the Calgary Hitmen.
Enjoy it Spitfire fans.

WheatiesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 06:29 AM
hockeylife

Congratulations Spitfire players, coaches, families and fans!

hockeylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:04 PM
travellingman345

Quote:
Just for fun I thought I would do some Memorial Cup Predictions.

Brandon vs Windsor - 4 to 1 Brandon

Calgary vs Moncton - 5 to 1 Calgary

Brandon vs Moncton - 3 to 2 Brandon

Calgary vs Windsor - 4 to 1 Calgary

Windsor vs Moncton - 5 to 2 Windsor

Calgary vs Brandon - 4 to 3 Calgary

Semi Final - Brandon vs Windsor - Brandon 4 to 3

Final - Calgary vs Brandon - 5 to 3 Calgary

*** MEMORIAL CUP TO THE HITMEN !!!! *****

Well I am on here to officially eat crow.

I did predict Moncton to lose all of their games and for Brandon to make the final, but that was about it.

Windsor totally destroyed Brandon in the finals. Congratulations to Windsor on a terrific year.

Congratulations to all teams involved in the Memorial Cup. Just an honour to be there.

I am already looking forward to next season. But not too soon - need to enjoy some nice summer weather for a while.

Old
05-25-2010, 03:34 PM
WheatiesHockey

It is a privilege to play for the Memorial Cup. The tournament is held to honour Canada's veterans and promote things like good sportsmanship and athletic excellence.
I was so impressed by all the kids playing for the Memorial Cup. Tough to get there and even tougher to lose. None of those kids would ever trade the Memorial Cup experience for anything.
The kids playing for the Memorial Cup are not getting millions of dollars a year, they are playing because they love playing hockey.

WheatiesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote