HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who would you rather have on your team? Chelios or Coffey

Old
05-14-2010, 05:18 PM
jkrx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
In 1995? Who else would you have picked over Coffey? He was dynamite that year and was a shoo-in for the Norris
Stevens was better in my honest opinion.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
But he wasn't even a Norris finalist. He wasn't even a 2nd team all-star that year. He was great in the playoffs for sure and thanks to a clean sweep in the finals he was better than Coffey in the playoffs but in the regular season that Norris was Coffey's in his back pocket. Stevens was not at that level

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 05:30 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
But he wasn't even a Norris finalist. He wasn't even a 2nd team all-star that year. He was great in the playoffs for sure and thanks to a clean sweep in the finals he was better than Coffey in the playoffs but in the regular season that Norris was Coffey's in his back pocket. Stevens was not at that level
Silly me.. was thinking of the 94 season when Bourque won Norris... dont ask why...

Old
05-14-2010, 05:58 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I don't know why I should take Coffey's dazzling offensive numbers that seriously. The guy spent the first 7 years of his career, his most productive ones offensively, with Gretzky, Kurri, Messier..then he moved to Pittsburgh where he played with uh Mario Lemieux and guys like Recchi, Stevens and Jagr as well...then he moved to the Wings where he played with Yzerman, Fedorov and Ciccarelli. After he left the Wings his career was dead. So he basically spent all productive years of his career on teams with a HOF forward cast and in a historically extremely high-scoring era.

+/- isn't a great stat but the fact Chelios has a career accumulated +/- almost a 100 goals better than Coffey in spite of Coffey scoring obscene amounts of points in the 80s on one of the best teams ever assembled says a lot about defensive responsibility. Coffey managed to be a -18 whilst scoring 93 points on the Cup-winning Penguins in 90-91. 3rd in team scoring - worst in plus/minus. That's not a good sign for a D-man. Outside of his years with Edmonton during the absolute heyday of Gretzky's all-time greatness Coffey's +/- was poor considering his scoring numbers, at times no different from a floating finesse winger who doesn't backcheck. Chelios on the other hand was most of the time one of the better +/- guys on his teams and led his team a few times as well. I am only pointing out +/- here because its flaws are flaws that actually should benefit Coffey here but Chelios still over his career was much more solid in this characteristic.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:12 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Stevens was pretty bad in 1995. St. Louis had tried to sign him back in the offseason, and NJ matched.

In fact, St. Louis was found guilty of tampering, and the investigation gave NJ the pick that turned into Zach Parise. NJ was originally awarded Stevens as compensation for St. Louis signing RFA Brendan Shanahan. That really was the gift that kept on giving.

But Stevens was pretty pissed that he was still in NJ, so his heart wasn't into it for like the first month. The Devils were in a big slump to start the season, which is why they were only a 5th seed going into the playoffs, when the team was much better than that.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Scott1980

Coffey!

Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:13 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
It's pretty clear to me TDMD meant that Coffey was better than Chelios. (prime comparsion)
Yes, I meant Chelios. I thought it was so obvious that Orr was better that I didn't even think not to say "he."

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:18 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Stevens was pretty bad in 1995. St. Louis had tried to sign him back in the offseason, and NJ matched.

In fact, St. Louis was found guilty of tampering, and the investigation gave NJ the pick that turned into Zach Parise. NJ was originally awarded Stevens as compensation for St. Louis signing RFA Brendan Shanahan. That really was the gift that kept on giving.

But Stevens was pretty pissed that he was still in NJ, so his heart wasn't into it for like the first month. The Devils were in a big slump to start the season, which is why they were only a 5th seed going into the playoffs, when the team was much better than that.
yea I remember that.. I was thinking of 94.