HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CHL Memorial Cup Thread

Old
05-23-2010, 07:06 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Schenn with a awesome hit in the first couple minutes, it was a helmet popper.
The more I watch Schenn play, the more I'm impressed. I loved that hit!

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
The more I watch Schenn play, the more I'm impressed. I loved that hit!
He really is a man amongst boys in this league...

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Brandon on the board!

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

The Kings goalie sure sucks.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
The Kings goalie sure sucks.
It was their biggest flaw all year. I talked to a Wheat Kings fan the other day and he said he didn't think they would win the Mem Cup simply because they failed to get a goalie...a clear need from day 1.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Fangio

Windsor has taken over this game 5-1

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

That was a brutal call to take the game out of the hands of the players.

Old
05-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It was evident from the start of the tournament that this was a gimme for Windsor. Their starter prior to this game is riding an 11-game winning streak. And Taylor Hall has cemented himself as the #1 pick.

The Kings have to make a decision with Schenn. Three consecutive seasons in the WHL where his point-per-game average has increased quite significantly. He'll be turning 19 in August and won't be eligible to play in the AHL until 2011-12. Tough to say if another season in the WHL will benefit Schenn's development. He can work on his offensive game and skating and dominate the league, or, he can start adapting to the NHL level of play.

His performance in camp and in pre-season games will go a long way in proving if he is ready for the big show.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Fangio

This Windsor team would give the Kamloops Blazers dynasty of the early 90s, a run for their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Kings have to make a decision with Schenn. Three consecutive seasons in the WHL where his point-per-game average has increased quite significantly. He'll be turning 19 in August and won't be eligible to play in the AHL until 2011-12. Tough to say if another season in the WHL will benefit Schenn's development. He can work on his offensive game and skating and dominate the league, or, he can start adapting to the NHL level of play.

His performance in camp and in pre-season games will go a long way in proving if he is ready for the big show.
99pts in 59 games..there's just nothing left for Schenn at the junior level. He was dominant last game and he's done that all season.

Since the Kings never really had a 4th line all year, I'd be all for Schenn working his way up and growing with the team, also receiving 2nd line opportunities here and there.

Old
05-23-2010, 08:13 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

I'm not really surprised by the outcome. I thought Calgary had the best chance to knock them off, but Brandon had other ideas. Schenn will be a King next season, not much more he can do at this level.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHoler View Post
This Windsor team would give the Kamloops Blazers dynasty of the early 90s, a run for their money.

99pts in 59 games..there's just nothing left for Schenn at the junior level. He was dominant last game and he's done that all season.

Since the Kings never really had a 4th line all year, I'd be all for Schenn working his way up and growing with the team, also receiving 2nd line opportunities here and there.
But he loses a TON of key developmental ice time playing 8 minutes a night on the fourth. It's a tough question either way. Best to let BS answer it.

Old
05-23-2010, 08:41 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
But he loses a TON of key developmental ice time playing 8 minutes a night on the fourth. It's a tough question either way. Best to let BS answer it.
You're assuming he'll only play the 4th line.

I can see him getting some time on the 2nd line, as well as a playing wing on Zeus' line. And yes, also some time on the 4th line as well.

And don't count out special team.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
You're assuming he'll only play the 4th line.

I can see him getting some time on the 2nd line, as well as a playing wing on Zeus' line. And yes, also some time on the 4th line as well.

And don't count out special team.
Actually I was responding to Five who mentioned 4th. Where else is he going to play? He's not 2nd or 3rd line ready. He still needs to gain a lot of strength in order to be able to play every night in the NHL, period. So?

Old
05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Actually I was responding to Five who mentioned 4th. Where else is he going to play? He's not 2nd or 3rd line ready. He still needs to gain a lot of strength in order to be able to play every night in the NHL, period. So?
Again, you're assuming that he isn't good enough for the 2nd or 3rd line. And you're also assuming, he's not strong enough to play the nhl schedule.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:00 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHoler View Post
99pts in 59 games..there's just nothing left for Schenn at the junior level.
There's winning. Schenn has had a fantastic "silver" season. He got a silver medal at the world juniors, he's going to come in second for the memorial cup. He has nothing left to accomplish in Brandon, but if he gets sent back and moved to a powerhouse team in the WHL, where he can go on another Mem Cup run and get a chance to redeem Canada at the WJCs, I think that would say a lot. There's a lot to be said for winning and being a go to guy.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Development camp usually begins in late July-early August. After a much deserved break for Brayden, he will likely start his summer off-ice strength training program that I'm sure the Kings have designed specifically for him.

It's been said that he was nursing a groin injury during the World Juniors and has been hampered by a lingering shoulder injury since the WHL playoffs. He'll need some time recuperating so that he'll be completely healthy and ready to go come September.

In his first camp with the Kings, I don't think Schenn was in great shape, least not in shape to be playing top line minutes. When Mike Richards broke into the NHL, he was averaged slightly over 15 minutes a game and registered 34 points in 79 games. Two seasons later as a 22 year old, he's logging over 21 minutes and scored 76 points. The next season at 23, scores 30 goals and 80 points. Richards appeared in 4 seasons in the OHL and only played in 14 playoff games for the Flyers' AHL affiliate prior to turning pro at 20.

Schenn could very well see one more season in the WHL, play in the playoffs for the Monarchs then graduate to the NHL at 20. There will also be a center position open for taking when Handzus comes off the books.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:09 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

All I'm saying is to keep an open mind. Remember, a skinnier and weaker Simmonds made the team at age 19 and he did alright for himself. And let's also keep in mind that DD never played a single game of chl after being drafted. And I have no doubt that many thought DD may have benefited from another year of chl as well. Bottom line is we'll never know. Therefore, keep an open mind and don't put a limit on a kid's potential.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Fangio

You just knew Windsor was going to win this especially after sweeping a very good Barrie Colts team.

Quote:
yeah it could go either way. I just think getting NHL time is more valuable than another year at junior at this point. His game is already developed in every area. Only adjustment he's going to make is the speed and size of the NHL game. Let him grow with the core, work his way up like they used to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
There's winning. Schenn has had a fantastic "silver" season. He got a silver medal at the world juniors, he's going to come in second for the memorial cup. He has nothing left to accomplish in Brandon, but if he gets sent back and moved to a powerhouse team in the WHL, where he can go on another Mem Cup run and get a chance to redeem Canada at the WJCs, I think that would say a lot. There's a lot to be said for winning and being a go to guy.
this isn't a concern. That "silver" season counts for something. He's won gold in under 18. Can't see the Wheaties moving him either, where is this powerhouse? Brandon is one of the best teams in the CHL.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
All I'm saying is to keep an open mind. Remember, a skinnier and weaker Simmonds made the team at age 19 and he did alright for himself. And let's also keep in mind that DD never played a single game of chl after being drafted. And I have no doubt that many thought DD may have benefited from another year of chl as well. Bottom line is we'll never know. Therefore, keep an open mind and don't put a limit on a kid's potential.

Skinnier, but not weaker. Simmonds always had the strength, which is part of the reason why he's such a good fighter. As he gets bigger and stronger, he will/has become more of a force.

Of course you can't rule him out RH. Why would you? I wouldn't count on him either and I think the smarter move would be to err on the side of development.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:33 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Skinnier, but not weaker. Simmonds always had the strength, which is part of the reason why he's such a good fighter. As he gets bigger and stronger, he will/has become more of a force.
Simmonds is a good fighter because he's got quick hands and probably a longer reach, not because of his strength. Remember, he was 170 lbs+ his first nhl season. Schenn is already close to 200 lbs.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:39 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

If we bring him on to the big club doesn't have a $3.5m(ish) cap hit? That's allot to spend on a kid who will have to find his place on the team. I am not against it, I would just want to be perfectly certain that he belongs up there before I kept him.

No sending him back once its decided.

If he does stay I would rather seem him get shift work than to rely on him for any set position. Let him pick up the speed of the NHL level and find his place. Put him in the best situations possible and let him excel for a season.

He has good size, good speed, good hands and likes to hit, he just needs the time to break in properly and she be a pretty good top 6 forward. I see him as a D Brown type of forward with one exception, he plays with his heart on his sleeve all the time.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

He'll be due for $3.5M if he achieves his bonuses, so that figure is not guaranteed.

Old
05-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
If we bring him on to the big club doesn't have a $3.5m(ish) cap hit? That's allot to spend on a kid who will have to find his place on the team. I am not against it, I would just want to be perfectly certain that he belongs up there before I kept him.

No sending him back once its decided.

If he does stay I would rather seem him get shift work than to rely on him for any set position. Let him pick up the speed of the NHL level and find his place. Put him in the best situations possible and let him excel for a season.

He has good size, good speed, good hands and likes to hit, he just needs the time to break in properly and she be a pretty good top 6 forward. I see him as a D Brown type of forward with one exception, he plays with his heart on his sleeve all the time.
His cap hit is only that big if he reaches all of his bonuses. The Kings will have a cushion in the amount of his bonuses so it's not that big of a deal. That's how Doughty's contract has been the past couple seasons.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

I think he can make the Kings as 3rd/2nd line. Maybe he needs some fourth line time also, and all he really needs is strength. He is a little weak, but the offseason training program he'll get is invaluable. I just dont see any reason to go back. A Memorial Cup? Sure but most if not all junior players would go to the NHL over having a Memorial Cup chance.

He should be in the NHL, and maybe they should take off the age requirement. So annoying.

Moses Doughty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:55 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Does anyone know what performance needs to be fulfilled for Schenn to be paid for his bonus?