HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

proposal for carey price

Old
05-13-2010, 10:30 PM
fan in oregon

vCash: 500
proposal for carey price

the blues need a goaltender. carey price is the best available goaltender. how about this for a deal. the blues send barrett jackman, andy mac donald and 1st rd draft to mtl for carey price and 1st rd draft. essentially the blues are sending the habs 2 veterans and moving down in this years draft to get price. thoughts?

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:00 AM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan in oregon View Post
the blues need a goaltender. carey price is the best available goaltender. how about this for a deal. the blues send barrett jackman, andy mac donald and 1st rd draft to mtl for carey price and 1st rd draft. essentially the blues are sending the habs 2 veterans and moving down in this years draft to get price. thoughts?

I don't think an offensively starved Blues team can afford to trade their leading scorer. Also the Habs(who are already at 45 million for next season) are taking on about six million dollars in this trade. I won't go into how overrated Cary Price is, but if the Blues are liquidating McDonald, Jackman, and a first round pick they could do better than Cary Price.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:49 AM
Sniper
It's learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
I don't think an offensively starved Blues team can afford to trade their leading scorer. Also the Habs(who are already at 45 million for next season) are taking on about six million dollars in this trade. I won't go into how overrated Cary Price is, but if the Blues are liquidating McDonald, Jackman, and a first round pick they could do better than Cary Price.
Can we refrain from using this type of language? Those are the kind of words that make my eyes rain.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 04:33 AM
Robb_K

We can't even be sure that Price will be better in the long run than Mason. That would be giving up way too much for an average NHL goalie (which The Blues could get by re-signing Mason (and save those trade assets for adding needed scoring power).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:25 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan in oregon View Post
Besides the obvious reasons why this trade doesn't work, the only reason MTL will likely end up trading one of Price or Halak (likely Price) is because they likely won't be able to afford both after the raises they'll get this summer. Why then, would MTL even remotely be interested in a deal in which they would take on MORE salary??? If/when MTL looks to trade a goalie, they'll want a player that's still fairly cheap and/or picks/prospects or a combination there of.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 07:47 PM
STL Fan

Andy Mac has a NMC. I believe that he is in the future plans of the Blues and won't be exiled like Weight.

STL Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 08:46 PM
EOM

Yeah, I agree with IA. Montreal won't be wanting to take any salary back for any deal involving one of their goaltenders. It would have to be something like the Blues' 1st rounder plus a decent prospect or cheap roster player. It's a good bet they'll be asking for Berglund or Perron.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
Yeah, I agree with IA. Montreal won't be wanting to take any salary back for any deal involving one of their goaltenders. It would have to be something like the Blues' 1st rounder plus a decent prospect or cheap roster player. It's a good bet they'll be asking for Berglund or Perron.
We can only hope that asking for, and getting, remain two very separate things...

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 10:19 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
Now we're talking baby!

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 09:39 AM
BlueNhockeytown

oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSquid View Post
Now we're talking baby!
Perron would be an instant fan favorite up there.

BlueNhockeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNhockeytown View Post
Perron would be an instant fan favorite up there.
Which is why, if the Blues do end up trading him to the Habs, they need to hold Montreal's feet to the fire and get a lot more than just Carey Price out of the deal.

Perron might be the most skilled player on the Blues' roster, and he's just 21. When -- not if -- he develops the consistency of a veteran, the team that has him on their roster will be a happy team indeed.

I'd prefer to see that team be the Blues.

P_B

Old
05-24-2010, 11:50 AM
FanHabtic

Perron and Andy MacDonald are not exactly the type of forwards that the Habs would be interested in as we have our quota of smurfs.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
ibleedblue8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Perron and Andy MacDonald are not exactly the type of forwards that the Habs would be interested in as we have our quota of smurfs.
Why would you not be interested in Perron? He is 21 years old and has all the talent in the world. He has put up 50 and 47 points the past two years in mostly a defensive system. The guy has amazing talent and all the potential in the world. He is also from that area, where he would be an instant fan favorite in Montreal. The Blues should not trade him, but I do not get why you would not be interested in him.

ibleedblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 12:58 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue8 View Post
Why would you not be interested in Perron? He is 21 years old and has all the talent in the world. He has put up 50 and 47 points the past two years in mostly a defensive system. The guy has amazing talent and all the potential in the world. He is also from that area, where he would be an instant fan favorite in Montreal. The Blues should not trade him, but I do not get why you would not be interested in him.
The Habs have their quota of talented small forwards. Adding another one (even if he is young and has potential) doesn't address our team needs (or weaknesses). What the Habs could use right now is:

1. Cap space
2. A big young centerman with top-6 potential
3. A big young winger that can open up space for our small forwards
4. Draft Picks

Perron while i like him does not address our needs. Because he's "french" or might become a "fan favorite" doesn't play into it at all.

Old
05-24-2010, 12:59 PM
FanHabtic

Just to add to my previous post...

The only way i see the Habs having interest in Perron is if they plan on immediately flipping him for an asset that suits our team needs.

Old
05-24-2010, 02:16 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

To St-Louis: Price + Andrei and Sergei Kostitsyn

To Montreal: Berglund and Backes

Old
05-24-2010, 02:22 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
To St-Louis: Price + Andrei and Sergei Kostitsyn

To Montreal: Berglund and Backes
No. The Blues want size and defensive responsibility at center just like you do. There is no reason to trade them especially both in the same package.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:23 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
You have not seen David Perron play hockey, then. Dude is taller than Jackman, has good balance and strength, and plays with tenacity. He's not a large player, but you can't say he's a smurf.

I don't want the Blues to trade Perron at all, especially if they aren't getting a better scorer in return; but you have misconceptions about Perron.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:28 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
You have not seen David Perron play hockey, then. Dude is taller than Jackman, has good balance and strength, and plays with tenacity. He's not a large player, but you can't say he's a smurf.

I don't want the Blues to trade Perron at all, especially if they aren't getting a better scorer in return; but you have misconceptions about Perron.
I've seen quite a bit of David Perron in Sherbrooke and having followed his career ever since. He has tons of skill which we already have. But he's not strong in the corners. He can't open up space for teammates the way a Backes can. He wouldn't add anything to the Habs that we don't already have. We need size. We need players that can drive the net. If you watch the Habs/Flyers series you will notice a huge void in terms of physicality both down the middle and on the wings.

I think you lack a fundamental understanding of what the Habs current and future needs are.

Old
05-24-2010, 03:06 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
No. The Blues want size and defensive responsibility at center just like you do. There is no reason to trade them especially both in the same package.
What if we add the Plekanec signing rights? He's a great playmaker/defensive PK type of center. He's been great for us but I doubt we can afford him, or else he'd stay

Old
05-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Gaels

Jackman and McRae. For Price and maybe a mid-round pick.

Gaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 04:59 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaels View Post
Jackman and McRae. For Price and maybe a mid-round pick.
You do realize that the Habs have 7 NHL d-men under contract next season right?

Markov-Spacek
Hamrlik-Subban
Gill-Gorges
OB

Old
05-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
You do realize that the Habs have 7 NHL d-men under contract next season right?

Markov-Spacek
Hamrlik-Subban
Gill-Gorges
OB
And Jackman is better than six of them...

I doubt that the Blues are actively looking to trade Jackman, though.

P_B

Old
05-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
What if we add the Plekanec signing rights? He's a great playmaker/defensive PK type of center. He's been great for us but I doubt we can afford him, or else he'd stay
I don't know that exclusivity is all that great an addition to the original package. I'd like to see the Blues sign Plekanec, but I'd like to know what the Blues' peers perceive his value to be before the Blues make an offer.

Having the exclusive rights to negotiate with a UFA doesn't really do you much good, because most of these guys (or their agents, at least) are wanting to get out on the market and play Team "X" off agaunst Team "Y" to get the biggest contract possible.

How many UFA's have re-signed with the team that held their rights prior to July 1, vs. the number who rolled the dice on the open market?

P_B

Old
05-24-2010, 07:57 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
I've seen quite a bit of David Perron in Sherbrooke and having followed his career ever since. He has tons of skill which we already have. But he's not strong in the corners. He can't open up space for teammates the way a Backes can. He wouldn't add anything to the Habs that we don't already have. We need size. We need players that can drive the net. If you watch the Habs/Flyers series you will notice a huge void in terms of physicality both down the middle and on the wings.

I think you lack a fundamental understanding of what the Habs current and future needs are.
Why do you think I'm comparing him to Backes or any other large forward? I'm not. I'm also not talking about when he played for Sherbrooke, I'm talking about right now. I'm not trying to argue that Montreal doesn't need large players or that they should take Perron or anything patently irrelevant like that.

I really don't care about the trade proposal or what Montreal wants.

All I said is that Perron is not a smurf. He's about average height, on the wiry side, and is strong for his size. His work on the boards is honestly probably only second to Steen amongst Blues forwards. He consistently comes away with the puck and space to work with it.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote