HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best Hit delivered so far in the playoffs?

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2004, 05:19 AM
Strizzi

vCash: 500
I've not seen the Tucker hit, but McLaren's one was awesome!

Old
05-13-2004, 05:19 AM
mercury

OK, I didn't really want to jump in on this conversation about the Tucker hit. I have saved to my desktop, and have watched it many, many times. It is difficult to see exactly where Tucker's elbows are, but he clearly left his feet to deliver the hit, and that makes it illegal.

Old
05-13-2004, 06:18 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelei
That's funny, because I've seen the same hit, and I've seen the still photos, and he never elbowed him. His hands were indeed up- OVER Kapannen's head. Kapanen's concussion (and you'd be fooling yourself if you don't think he's honouring a Flyer tradition and just playing through one) actually came when his head hit the ice.

The site with the video is down, but here are the 2 pictures I've seen:

All you need to see:

http://hfboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1740

Old
05-13-2004, 08:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
I think the Tucker hit on Kapanen was the best of the playoffs, followed by the Komisarek hit on Thornton, and McLaren on Cjanek.

Old
05-13-2004, 09:33 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
The Kapanen Tucker hit was a penalty. It fits the definition of boarding perfectly. I would have likely given him a game for it too. Kapanen was injured in large part due to smacking his head against the boards. He did so because Tucker's hit. While I don't think it was dirty (i.e. intent to injure), I thought it was clearly boarding and should have been called.

Rule 44 Boarding

(a) A minor or major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be imposed on any player who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards.

(b) When a major penalty is imposed under this Rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

Old
05-13-2004, 09:37 AM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
I think the Tucker hit on Kapanen was the best of the playoffs, followed by the Komisarek hit on Thornton, and McLaren on Cjanek.
Didn't saw the McLaren hit, but I agree. Tucker is number one followed by Komisarek.

Old
05-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad
That was not the best hit. That was the dirtiest hit. Horrible jump and elbow to the face. How can ANYONE call that a great hit? Tucker should have been suspended for that.

It's actually quite alarming, that people are calling such cheapshots a great hit. I guess someone has to die before people will start to realize what is the difference in clean hits and attempts to injure, and how they should react to those.

Clean hits rule, even if the target was injured. Leaving your feet and putting your hands up is not clean. And fans who dont have the guts to call it what it is are the main reason we see so many injuries. Players are there to entertain and perform, if the crowd cheers after such attrocities, naturally they will continue doing it.

My sentiments exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
The Kapanen Tucker hit was a penalty. It fits the definition of boarding perfectly. I would have likely given him a game for it too. Kapanen was injured in large part due to smacking his head against the boards. He did so because Tucker's hit. While I don't think it was dirty (i.e. intent to injure), I thought it was clearly boarding and should have been called.

Rule 44 Boarding

(a) A minor or major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be imposed on any player who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards.

(b) When a major penalty is imposed under this Rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.
Not to mention charging as he left his feet before contact.

Old
05-13-2004, 11:17 AM
WARPED_MADDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelei
That's funny, because I've seen the same hit, and I've seen the still photos, and he never elbowed him. His hands were indeed up- OVER Kapannen's head. Kapanen's concussion (and you'd be fooling yourself if you don't think he's honouring a Flyer tradition and just playing through one) actually came when his head hit the ice.

The site with the video is down, but here are the 2 pictures I've seen:

It amazes me that you try backing up your argument that it was a clean hit with two pictures that are 1)half way thru the hit and 2) after the hit is done. I suppose you'd say that Tucker did leave his feet when he hit Malakov the game before that one. Tucker is just a dirty player.

Old
05-13-2004, 11:21 AM
WARPED_MADDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman
Antropov on Roenick in game 5. You could see that Roenick had pain in his neck for the rest of the game
I personnally like the hit that Roenick pummeled Antropov with next to net, at least it was clean!

Old
05-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARPED_MADDOG
I personnally like the hit that Roenick pummeled Antropov with next to net, at least it was clean!
Taking about ten strides and elbowing someone in the chest is clean, but the Tucker hit was dirty?

The Tucker hit on Kapanen was the best so far. Those claiming it was dirty would not be saying the same thing had it been someone on their team doing it to Tucker.

Old
05-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
The Tucker hit on Kapanen was the best so far. Those claiming it was dirty would not be saying the same thing had it been someone on their team doing it to Tucker.
No, they'd be saying it's just Tucker getting one back, what comes around goes around, etc.

Old
05-13-2004, 11:40 AM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
No, they'd be saying it's just Tucker getting one back, what comes around goes around, etc.
Exactly. Noone would be calling it a cheapshot.

Old
05-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Exactly. Noone would be calling it a cheapshot.
Quite the opposite, they'd say it's probably a cheap shot, but considering that it was on Tucker, they don't have a problem with it. That is the point I was making.

Old
05-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Quite the opposite, they'd say it's probably a cheap shot, but considering that it was on Tucker, they don't have a problem with it. That is the point I was making.
It would be the cleanest hit in history if someone did that to Tucker. Don't kid yourself.

Old
05-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
It would be the cleanest hit in history if someone did that to Tucker. Don't kid yourself.
If someone did a cheap shot on Tucker, I would admit so, because you live by the sword, you die by the sword and other "eye for an eye" cliches. Tucker knows he has a rep, and Tucker knows that someday someone might headhunt him. I wouldn't feel sorry for him the least, nor should anyone (assuming he didn't get some massive injury). He's knows what he's doing, and he should be able to take the repercussions as they come.

Old
05-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Hab-Dawgs

Well, the question is not "what was the cleanest hit so far?"......

So, stop belly-aching

The tucker hit was the best hit, whether it was clean or not, and it doesn't matter.

Old
05-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Chelios

From a completely neutral standpoint I have to say the Tucker hit is by far and away the best hit of the playoffs. I wish the Philly fans would stop whining about it being a cheap shot. There was no penalty called on the play, no suspension handed after the play and Kapanen is still playing... get over it!

Old
05-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios
From a completely neutral standpoint I have to say the Tucker hit is by far and away the best hit of the playoffs. I wish the Philly fans would stop whining about it being a cheap shot. There was no penalty called on the play, no suspension handed after the play and Kapanen is still playing... get over it!

Ya coming from a city which won 2 Stanley cups by illegal dirty filthy play.

I find this talk about cheap hits pretty funny

Old
05-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Buddah

Tucker had one skate on the ice when he made the hit. It would be dirty if TWO of his skates were off the ice when he made the hit.

The biggest complainers and homers on these boards are Philly fans.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Sabes

The Tucker hit is the best bar-none.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:20 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsobro
This year, i would say Komisarek on Thornton

Stevens on Lindros is memorable
Good hit but healthy Thornton would've be able to take that hit without any problem...

Old
05-13-2004, 12:36 PM
gmdevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-Dawgs
Well, the question is not "what was the cleanest hit so far?"......

So, stop belly-aching

The tucker hit was the best hit, whether it was clean or not, and it doesn't matter.
Well, in that case I can remember some Marchment hits that I thought were just awesome. The best hit this year would have to be Bertuzzi on Moore. He didn't even see it coming and broke his neck. What a hit!

I remember a time when good clean hockey was applauded and dirty plays were abhorred. I'm not trying to make the Tucker hit out to be the crime of the century, and hell it really isn't that big of a deal at all compared to some of the crap that goes on in the game. What I think is the bigger deal is the suprisingly large percentage of people justifying the borderline dirty play and actually celebrating it. When did hockey turn into professional wrestling?

Old
05-13-2004, 12:38 PM
YellHockey*

Quote:
But Leaf fans would be calling it the crime of the century.

They still whine about Alfredsson's shoulder to shoulder hit on Tucker from two years ago. Imagine the outrage if someone actually did something dirty to Tucker!

Old
05-13-2004, 12:39 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
The hit was a little late, but Begin on Nylander from game 2? Or game 1? It's been a while.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Hab-Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdevils
Well, in that case I can remember some Marchment hits that I thought were just awesome. The best hit this year would have to be Bertuzzi on Moore. He didn't even see it coming and broke his neck. What a hit!
Clearly that's not what I mean.......

the tucker hit's controversial, not because it was illegal, but because people don't know if it was illegal...

Therefore, it's not important whether it was technically legal or not, because it was a nice hit that could have been legal. No one has any conclusive evidence, so drop it.

Closed Thread