HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oh Mark - Devils must choose between Parise or Ilya

Old
05-14-2010, 08:27 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
Oh Mark - Devils must choose between Parise or Ilya

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devil...lPC0rJATZ8968H

Quote:
Besides picking a coach again, the Devils have another major decision on their hands, which left wing to shower millions upon. They can't afford both Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk after next season, not without shortchanging other more-needed positions, and they need to choose now.

Underscoring the imminent nature of that choice, The Post has learned that Parise is dropping his current agent and is seeking a new adviser to guide him through this vital summer.

In the next six weeks, the Devils had better find out which they can best do: extend Parise's walk-year contract (officially after July 1, but they're free to do everything but file the deal before then), or sign Kovalchuk before he reaches unrestricted free agency on July 1.

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
TG already took his shots at "neverson" today. Pretty funny.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 08:31 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

LOL yeah he did:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...nd_of_2010-11/

Old
05-14-2010, 08:42 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

"In the next six weeks, the Devils had better find out which they can best do: extend Parise's walk-year contract (officially after July 1, but they're free to do everything but file the deal before then)"

Parise is RFA.

EDIT: Ahhh, TG!! Everson is such a ****ing idiot.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
herecomethepretzels

vCash: 265
I guess trades have been banned in the NHL? No way we can sign Kovy and trade someone else at a later date huh? Not saying it's what's going to happen but c'mon - there are PLENTY of ways to have both LWs this upcoming season and still have options after.

Poor way of making a point that it's a critical strategy move whether to try and sign Kovalchuk or not.

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Honestly, I loved the Kovy trade, but he didn't fit in as well as I thought he would. Maybe it wasn't his fault, however, if I had to choose between Parise or Kovy, I take Zach in a heartbeat and use the Kovy money to get a center and defensemen.

Now that Zach has a new agent, I hope Lou starts working on re-signing him and I hope he starts on January 1, 2011. Anyway. good update by TG on the Parise situation.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 09:27 AM
JimEIV

TG stating that Parise is RFA after this season is really a non-starter to what the issue at hand is.

The point, is who are you going to make a commitment to the future with. Because it is very obvious you can't do both players....Regardless of Parise's free agency status you can't give both monster contracts.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Devils1029

I love how people say you can't have that much committed to the same position....ummm..hello...how about 8.7 mil each to Crosby and Malkin? Oh, and yet they can still afford to pay gonchar $5 mil, Fleury $5 mil and Stall $4, Orpik and Letang over 3.5 each.

That's why teams talk about identifying their "core." These are the guys that ar egoing to get the big buck while the rest of the team is fille dout with low-paid role players and rookies on ELC. Our problem is we try to pay everyone 3 mil....

Kovy 7.5
Elias 6 mil
Rolston 5 mil
Parise 5
Zubrus 3.4
Zajac 3.8
Langenbrunner 2.8
Pando 2.5

Marty 5.2

Martin 4.5
White 3.0
Salvador 2.9

We essentially had three lines all making over 2.5 million and half the defense making 3 mil or more. The 'D' numbers aren't horrible but are we getting what we pay for? Certainly not on offense. We're not far off but can't have a $5 milion dollar third liner only giving you 20 goals.

Devils1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 09:30 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
TG stating that Parise is RFA after this season is really a non-starter to what the issue at hand is.

The point, is who are you going to make a commitment to the future with. Because it is very obvious you can't do both players....Regardless of Parise's free agency status you can't give both monster contracts.
The Chicago Blackhawks, Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins beg to differ...

Old
05-14-2010, 09:34 AM
JimEIV

Anyone that would compare a commitment to 2 left wingers vs centers and defensemen is just missing the team building boat....

Sorry.

Old
05-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Semak

News might be slow but come on.

Semak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
The Chicago Blackhawks, Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins beg to differ...
Blackhawks will be making cuts after this season. Although, Pitt was in the last two finals, I believe they're a little shell-shocked by getting knocked out by the 8th seed and wouldn't be surprised to see either Staal or Malkin moved in the future. As for the Caps, watch guys like Semin and possibly Greene get moved before their big contracts are due. Just saying all those teams will be making some important choices of their own.

Old
05-14-2010, 09:45 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Blackhawks will be making cuts after this season. Although, Pitt was in the last two finals, I believe they're a little shell-shocked by getting knocked out by the 8th seed and wouldn't be surprised to see either Staal or Malkin moved in the future. As for the Caps, watch guys like Semin and possibly Greene get moved before their big contracts are due.
Washington doesn't really have any major contracts commitments after Ovechkin either...

After Ovechkin the capitals highest paid player this seaosn was Mike Green at 5.2M (2 more years)

Next season Semin contract goes up from 4.6 to 6M but it is the last year of his deal...So something needs to be done there.....But again comparing a Center and Defensemen to Left Wingers is a bit of apples and oranges.

EDIT:
Washingtons commitment right now for 2011-12 is 17,675,000 and 9,538,462 is Ovechkin's and other 5,250,000 is Mike Green's. They are poised very well for the future to do whatever they choose.

Last edited by JimEIV: 05-14-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old
05-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Anyone suggesting we re-sign Kovalchuk and keep Parise is blatantly ignorant of the situation. Malkin and Crosby taking up a combined 17M against the cap is acceptable because they are the two best players in the game (arguably). Parise and Kovalchuk are great but not at that stature.

One of the few times Neverson is right. It is not at all financially feasible for New Jersey to keep both players after next season. Anyone suggesting otherwise clearly has not looked at the numbers.

Even in the greatest, best case scenario where New Jersey sheds the Rolston, White, Salvador, and Zubrus contracts without taking on any salary (and presumably replacing their production with cheaper talent), the Devils would still have ~$31M committed to Parise, Kovalchuk, Elias, Zajac, and Brodeur in 2011-2012. That leaves under $30M to allocate to 17-18 players, including a top six center, a third line center, a host of top nine wingers, an ENTIRE defense, and a bunch of spares. And remember, that's the BEST case.

You better hope to god that Urbom, Gelinas, Corrente, Eckford, and co. are the real deal if you pursue this scenario.

Last edited by Feed Me A Stray Cat: 05-14-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
"In the next six weeks, the Devils had better find out which they can best do: extend Parise's walk-year contract (officially after July 1, but they're free to do everything but file the deal before then)"

Parise is RFA.

Everson knows this, as he states "They can't afford both Parise and Kovalchuk AFTER next season..."

Old
05-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post

Parise is RFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Chicago is a cluster****, as they'll have to trade a lot of players at discounts this off-season. I wouldn't follow their cap model.

Washington and Pittsburgh are set up very well for the future and have no real onerous contracts on the books.

Old
05-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Washington doesn't really have any major contracts commitments after Ovechkin either...

After Ovechkin the capitals highest paid player this seaosn was Mike Green at 5.2M (2 more years)

Next season Semin contract goes up from 4.6 to 6M but it is the last year of his deal...So something needs to be done there.....But again comparing a Center and Defensemen to Left Wingers is a bit of apples and oranges.

EDIT:
Washingtons commitment right now for 2011-12 is 17,675,000 and 9,538,462 is Ovechkin's and other 5,250,000 is Mike Green's. They are poised very well for the future to do whatever they choose.
Didn't they just sign Backstrom long-term?

Old
05-14-2010, 10:33 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Everson knows this, as he states "They can't afford both Parise and Kovalchuk AFTER next season..."
No... he doesn't know anything.

Quote:
Parise, widely regarded as a future Devils captain, becomes unrestricted after he earns $5 million next season.

Old
05-14-2010, 10:39 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

When can Lou offer Parise a extention ?!?!? That should be priority #1 for Lou at the moment and if Parise doesn't want to resign for whatever reason, we should try to lock IK long term.

I don't know why but I have a feeling Parise is getting tired of being knocked out in the 1st round and having a different coach every year. Our goaltender situation isn't getting any better, our defense is a complete wreck, there's some "in house issues" with certain players and we can't seem to keep a coach for more then a full year. All of that can't be enticing for a pending RFA/UFA.

I don't want to see Parise go but if he doesn't show any interest to resign long term, we have to throw a legit offer Kovalchuk's way.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:41 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

They can negotiate a new contract now, but nothing can be signed until July 1st, ie in his last contracted year.

Old
05-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
When can Lou offer Parise a extention ?!?!? That should be priority #1 for Lou at the moment and if Parise doesn't want to resign for whatever reason, we should try to lock IK long term.

I don't know why but I have a feeling Parise is getting tired of being knocked out in the 1st round and having a different coach every year. Our goaltender situation isn't getting any better, our defense is a complete wreck, there's some "in house issues" with certain players and we can't seem to keep a coach for more then a full year. All of that can't be enticing for a pending RFA/UFA.

I don't want to see Parise go but if he doesn't show any interest to resign long term, we have to throw a legit offer Kovalchuk's way.
July 1st. But don't expect anything until next summer. It's just how Lou operates.

Old
05-14-2010, 10:42 AM
downtown56

Quote:

July 1, 2010 according to TG

downtown56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:44 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

How does this idiot still have a job?

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:49 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Thanks guys

Do you think Parise will resign LT ?!?!? I don't know why but I have my doubts after his interview a couple of weeks ago. Something has to happen this offseason in order for us to make it past the 1st round cause I don't think Parise can handle a 4th straight first round exit and if we lose him via free agency for nothing... I might bomb the Prudential Center.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Quote:
Thanks guys

Do you think Parise will resign LT ?!?!? I don't know why but I have my doubts after his interview a couple of weeks ago. Something has to happen this offseason in order for us to make it past the 1st round cause I don't think Parise can handle a 4the straight first round exit and if we lose him via free agency for nothing... I might bomb the Prudential Center.
I don't see Lou letting Zach get away. Much like when Elias was the big FA and Lou secured Patty.

That said anything can happen.