HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

This is how Russian players spend their free time...

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2010, 01:46 PM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
I think casual smoking - an occasional drag, or an occasional cigarette or cigar - happens a lot more than we think. Of course, athletes smoke cigars after a championship.

This doesn't surprise me. If Semin's smoking two packs a day, that's a problem. But if he's having a couple smokes with friends, then who cares. He's not the only one in the tournament who does it.

Most players aren't habitual smokers, but there's a lot of casual smokers in the game. And then there's chewing tobacco, which is a big part of locker rooms in any North American sport.

Old
05-14-2010, 01:50 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Not sure why some talk about the cancer - it is irrelevent to the topic. Everyone can choose whether to smoke or not. We talk abpout world class athletes who choose to smoke and handicap themselves by reducing the lung capabilities, which means their heart must work harder to achieve the same result compared to the same person if he didn't smoke.

To me smoking means that the motivation of the athlete to become the best is not high. If I was a coach I may reconsider having such an athlete on my team, simply because he may not have heart to be the winner both physically and mentally.
This. And this is coming from the biggest Russian homer on these boards...

Old
05-14-2010, 02:24 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Its a trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
I have had lots of patients with lung cancer. Not one of them has ever said, as they were dying, that they wished that they'd smoked more cigarettes.

But hey, you may feel differently when that day comes. So have fun.
That's the whole idea...

Alright Dr. hockeydad. Do your patients also sit there and curse the supersized Big Mac meal they ate back in 94', in a night of passionate lust for grease and salt?

Who cares if I enjoy smoking something once in a while? I guarantee the amount of running and weights I do benefit me enough to counteract the suicide I'm committing via 5 cigarettes/joints per month. Not to mention my diet (I'm studying nutrition)... I bet most of these athletes feel the same way.

Old
05-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Forsbergwannabe

Everybody seems to be up in arms about smoking, but nobody seems to mind players drinking? This seems to be a common trend in society, but alcohol has a negative effect on the building of muscles/recovery time as far as I understand.

As a lifelong non smoker it seems abit overzealous even to me, the way the whole anti smoking movement is going about their business atm.
I know I would be pissed if someone told me I cant enjoy a good beer every now and then, because it is potentially bad for me.

Old
05-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Frank Bascombe

Old
05-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsbergwannabe View Post
Everybody seems to be up in arms about smoking, but nobody seems to mind players drinking? This seems to be a common trend in society, but alcohol has a negative effect on the building of muscles/recovery time as far as I understand.

As a lifelong non smoker it seems abit overzealous even to me, the way the whole anti smoking movement is going about their business atm.
I know I would be pissed if someone told me I cant enjoy a good beer every now and then, because it is potentially bad for me.
Alcohol in small quantities is actually good for your blood system while smoking basically reduces the efficiency of your lungs to absorb oxygen.

Old
05-14-2010, 04:05 PM
NMF78

Quote:
To me smoking means that the motivation of the athlete to become the best is not high.

agreed, even if they are great players they could be better if they didn't smoke....

Old
05-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Nikulin also looked slower than molasses this season in KHL. He has regressed from what he was in 2005-2008. Maybe smoking has something to do with this?
Yeah, I agree. Smoking is so not cool, specially if you're an athlete. I would compare it with a hot chick constantly and loudly farting in front of a public.

Old
05-14-2010, 04:08 PM
HackandLube

Kiprusoff was known to be a prolific smoker.

Old
05-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube View Post
Kiprusoff was known to be a prolific smoker.
This works with my theory that the smokers decline faster as athletes. Kiprussoff has been on decline for a while.

Old
05-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Gooch

vCash: 692
It's their choice to smoke, but if I was the GM for their respective team I'd be fining them for purposely engaging in an activity which lessens their ability to perform for my team.

These guys are athletes, they have many things handed to them but the one thing they need to do is be at top physical health. Smoking does not put them at their top physical health and thus makes them perform less than what they're capable of.

I also don't like this from a parental point of view where many kids view these athletes as role models.

Old
05-14-2010, 04:20 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Alcohol in small quantities is actually good for your blood system while smoking basically reduces the efficiency of your lungs to absorb oxygen.
Agreed, although from the stories I've heard, somehow I don't think many young pro hockey players are that responsible when it comes to booze.

Old
05-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Bud13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post

I also don't like this from a parental point of view where many kids view these athletes as role models.
They are not doing anything illegal. I agree that athletes are role models, but how can you stop them doing something that's legal. It's not their job to raise your kids.

And if you want to blame someone, blame the paparazzis. It's not like they are smoking in front of your children.

Last edited by Bud13: 05-14-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: more
Old
05-14-2010, 04:28 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bascombe View Post
That Zizou?

Old
05-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Frank Bascombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
That Zizou?
Yep. During the 06' World Cup.

Old
05-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Brun0

in finland players use snus just like in sweden.

Small amounts wont effect ur career in anyway. In big cities u get 100 times more **** from the bad air n stuff. cant believe how naive people are.

And for some players it might have more postive sides when this might relaxe u a bit cause some people just cant handle pressure well and this might help them so its not like they would be better if they quit.

Looks like people on this board dont do sports at any level.

Old
05-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Oyabun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post

Yes well, the whole world is not going to mold itself into a lifestyle that fits "a parental point of view"

Old
05-14-2010, 04:57 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Practically everyone in Russia smokes.
Tend to be pretty heavy drinkers too...average lifespan is really short for men there...under 60, I think.

Personally I have never smoked anything in my life.Borderline asthmatic. Bothered by grass, animals, perfumes, etc.

When I'm coming down with a cold I can pick out different types of scents on every third person on the bus.

Old
05-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Dallas

I love the "I'm a bad *ss, I can do whatever I want" attitudes floating around here. I wish I could have the same attitude when you come strolling into the ER 30 years from now cause you have COPD/lung cancer/heart attack and are gasping for air. "Hmmm, sorry... I can do whatever the he## I want and based on your history of smoking and total disregard for your health, I just don't feel like treating you today... good luck with that". Just complete ignorance and stupidity.

Old
05-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Then why not bring cigarettes to games and light up one when you sit on the bench?
That would be freakin' hilarious!!!!
Can you imagine the Canadians today, all the guys on the bench having a cigarette in the middle of the third!
Man, where is the sense of loyalty to the fans' entertainment value among these "professionals."

That being said... Smoking is freakin' gross, and there is no way to cover up the stench. I rather sit and sniff a bucket full of puke than sitting next to a smoker on the bus. Nasty.

Last edited by Ribban: 05-14-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old
05-14-2010, 06:17 PM
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Who blew snot all over the place in the video? lol

looked like semin who blew the snot rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindliner View Post
What was Kovalchuk doing in that video?
my russian is kinda bad so maybe someone else can read the article better but i think they're trying to figure out the taxi situation and who will go in each one and such. the article also seems to think semin only smokes after the NHL season has ended...

Old
05-14-2010, 06:35 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
fixed
they are in Germany so I went with beer, but I would like to see a new video with these ruskies smoking and swigging vodka outside the arena.

Old
05-14-2010, 09:08 PM
AHall88
Pittsburg Referees

God, you people crack me up.

Old
05-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Avery4Byng*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Big deal. It's not like Theo Fleury showed up and passed a crack pipe around.
LOL My exact thought when i started reading the replies from all the perfect people around here.

Old
05-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
I thought this thread was gonna be about golf.

Closed Thread