HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Thinking on upgrading from Easton S3 skates to

Old
06-07-2010, 12:50 PM
shaolin95

vCash: 500
Thinking on upgrading from Easton S3 skates to

Hi all!
I currently own to pair of entry level skates.
Bauer ONE05 and the Easton Stealth S3.
The Bauer killed my feet forever and I had to wear them very loose in order to not hurt but that killed my stability. I am a rookie, started skating 3 months ago btw.
The Eastons are better as I can tight them more but still hurt and the top of my feet stay numb pretty much all the time now...not good.
I skate about 5 days a week for many hours so I need to protect my feet.

I was thinking on getting the RBK 5K or maybe 7K or even 8K (I am a huge Mario Lemieux fan thus now I am a Crosby fan too and of course he wears RBK) but the horror stories about the pump issues, scare me.
My other choice is the CCM U+ 09 or maybe others that you can suggest.
Any ideas on what is a good upgrade if either of those, from my current Eastons?
I am trying to buy from Players bench as they are my local store and I want to support them. They price match too.
Thanks guys!

Last edited by shaolin95: 06-09-2010 at 12:52 PM.
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:37 PM
SouthpawTRK

I would suggest going to your LHS to try on different skates that you are interested in purchasing. Personally, I bought some RBK 5K's close to a year ago and absolutely love them. However, by trying on different skates you will be able to see which fits the best and you'll be able to find out from the guys at the shop on the fit of each skate.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:46 PM
shaolin95

I really like the 5K pump thingy but I am afraid of all the reports about the pump going bad quickly.
do you use the bump often and feel that if it dies the skate is not worth it any more?
I did like the CCM u+ 9 although is a lost more expensive.

Old
06-07-2010, 06:41 PM
SouthpawTRK

To be honest with you I do not use the pump on my 5K's all the time. There have been a lot of times when I don't even use it, just lace 'em up and get out on the ice. The main thing about the pump is to have them fully deflated prior to baking. Now, I'm not saying that I'm a decent skater or that I know a lot about hockey, but I'm glad that I have these skates.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
Hi all!
I currently own to pair of entry level skates.
Bauer ONE05 and the Easton Stealth S3.
The Bauer killed my feed forever and I had to wear them very loose in order to not hurt but that killed my stability. I am a rookie, started skating 3 months ago btw.
The Eastons are better as I can tight them more but still hurt and the top of my feet stay number pretty much all the time now...not good.
I skate about 5 days a week for many hours so I need to protect my feet.

I was thinking on getting the RBK 5K or maybe 7K (I am a huge Mario Lemieux fan thus now I am a Crosby fan too and of course he wears RBK) but the horror stories about the pump issues, scare me.
My other choice is the CCM U+ 09...a lot more money for it of course.
Any ideas on what is a good upgrade if either of those, from my current Eastons?
Thanks guys!
These skates are a little soft and lack support IMO. You are probably over-tightening trying to compensate.

But age, weight, foot size, width, arch height etc are important factors.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 08:33 PM
MNWild9

I have a pair of rbk 5's and i love them. I use the pump and it hasn't failed my yet. I've even had them baked. They are a good choice.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:01 PM
hoonking

Set a price range and go try on every pair of skates you can that are within that range. Going with what people say, or what is a popular product will not work all the time. You might get lucky and the boot might fit, but just because it fits the flat-footed guy doesn't mean it will fit you.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Thallis
#FREERATTIE

vCash: 499
Just as a head up, Easton skates are cut lower on the ankle than other skates; it may feel weird using another brand. I used the S7's for around four years and am currently using some S12's. Both are very good skates if you like the cut.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:20 AM
shaolin95

I guess I need to try them out but not sure how much I can really learn from just going to the store and trying them....that is a lot different from hitting the ice and giving the a real test but I guess that is the way it goes....during drop in today I saw a guy with the RBK 8K and he was thrilled with them so far. He doesnt even use the pump.
I am going to check the 7k, 8k, the ccm and bauers...pretty much every thing in my price range to make the call. :-)