HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Potvin in 1975 vs. Pronger in 2010

Old
05-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Potvin in 1975 vs. Pronger in 2010

A weird comparison I know, but in the Toronto Sun J.P. Parise was talking about the classic comeback of the 1975 Islanders who are the last team to comeback from a 3-0 series deficit assuming the Flyers don't do it tonight in Boston.

But anyways in the article he was rhyming off names of players that the Islanders had at the time. They had good goaltending in Chico Resch and a young Billy Smith but no one really on the front. Then he mentions that they may have had Chris Pronger on the back end. This is in reference to Denis Potvin.

It got me thinking. Potvin was 22 at that time. He was a 1st team all-star that year (Orr won the Norris). He was young, not quite in his prime. Pronger is 35 today in 2010. He's still a dominant force but isn't quite at the same level anymore.

Who would you prefer?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:31 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
A weird comparison I know, but in the Toronto Sun J.P. Parise was talking about the classic comeback of the 1975 Islanders who are the last team to comeback from a 3-0 series deficit assuming the Flyers don't do it tonight in Boston.

But anyways in the article he was rhyming off names of players that the Islanders had at the time. They had good goaltending in Chico Resch and a young Billy Smith but no one really on the front. Then he mentions that they may have had Chris Pronger on the back end. This is in reference to Denis Potvin.

It got me thinking. Potvin was 22 at that time. He was a 1st team all-star that year (Orr won the Norris). He was young, not quite in his prime. Pronger is 35 today in 2010. He's still a dominant force but isn't quite at the same level anymore.

Who would you prefer?
Potvin no doubt... Potvin had it all even at that age.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Reds4Life

I'd pick Pronger due to his experience.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote