HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

Tampa Bay Rays owner looking at Montreal?

Old
10-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Fenway

vCash: 433
Tampa Bay Rays owner looking at Montreal?

Bill Madden of the NY Daily News quietly dropped a bomb on Saturday when he wrote the following in his baseball notes column.

Quote:
As for the Rays, the Friedman/Maddon defections signal a return to losing baseball and irrelevance in Tampa. Yes, both of them opted out for significant increases in salary, but after last year’s disappointing 77-85 fourth-place finish, they both realized they’d done all they could do in Tampa, and despite consistent 90-win seasons with one of the lowest payrolls in baseball, the Rays played to a half-empty (or worse) stadium night after night. That, more than anything, wore on Maddon and his players, the manager told confidants. Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has been frustrated in his efforts to get out of Tropicana Field in St. Pete and move to a new stadium in Tampa, but there is growing belief that the economically depressed Tampa Bay area won’t support the Rays no matter where they play. And according to sources, Sternberg has had discussions with wealthy Wall Street associates about moving the Rays to Montreal, which has been without a major-league franchise since the Expos were transferred to Washington in 2005. As one major-league official put it to me Friday: “Say what you will about Montreal, but the Expos drew well over two million fans four times there in their heyday, while the Rays did that only once, their first year.
This didn't go unnoticed in Tampa Bay

Yes, We Know...Sternberg Likes Montreal...but Fearmongering is Part of MLB Plan

A Montreal columnist even suggests it is possible Montreal could have baseball NEXT YEAR.

Quote:
We should make it clear that the Rays move to Montreal is the farthest thing from a done deal — but Sternberg’s desire to get out of Tampa makes it much more likely that it will happen. That means Major League Baseball could conceivably be back in Montreal as soon as the 2015 season — 10 years after the late, much-lamented Expos played their first game as the Washington Nationals.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 10:02 AM
TorontoSports

vCash: 500
Do it... the Expos should have gotten that stadium and stable ownership. They had great fans before the team alienated them.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

What's the lease situation like in Tampa? Can they just up-and-go?

Also, how much work does Olympic Stadium need before it can accommodate pro baseball again? Obviously the place is aesthetically atrocious (but I think it could be made to be pretty awesome if they can throw a couple of hundred million to spruce the place up), but is the ballpark functionally ready?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 10:06 AM
TorontoSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post

Also, how much work does Olympic Stadium need before it can accommodate pro baseball again? Obviously the place is aesthetically atrocious (but I think it could be made to be pretty awesome if they can throw a couple of hundred million to spruce the place up), but is the ballpark functionally ready?
Shouldn't be much work.. they have played exhibition games there this past spring and going to have some more jays games this coming spring training.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Fenway

Quote:

The Rays lease runs until 2027 but you can always pay to buy it out.

Toronto played 2 spring training games there in March and it was fine.

Old
10-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

The big Owe will work as a temporary venue for 2-3 seasons but I think a new downtown ballpark (between 35 and 40 K seats) will need to be at least sure thing before a threat is taken seriously.

But if this rumor is real and there are some plans going on behind the scenes on the stadium front, the next 48 months will be very interesting.

Mightygoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 10:24 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:

Jeff Blair wrote a piece today on this topic saying his sources say MLB might financially help offset the cost of getting out of the lease.

Olympic Stadium could be made ready from what I heard for 2 season. MLB has put up with bad stadiums for a couple of seasons so long as they know the new one is being built. Why, they even put up with Tampa's stadium for almost two decades despite knowing Tampa never guaranteed a new stadium would be built.

Last edited by cutchemist42: 10-27-2014 at 10:34 AM.
cutchemist42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Would they still be in the AL? It'd be weird to have both of the Canadian teams in the American League.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 10:28 AM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Pirri for Cy Young

vCash: 131
Not a possibility till they commit to building a new stadium. Zero chance they move to Montreal if they have to play in that awful stadium indefinitely.

I'm not too familiar to that situation, any status on them building a new one?

ucanthanzalthetruth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Jeff Blair wrote a piece today on this topic saying his sources say MLB might financially help offset the cost of getting out of the league.
Tampa’s relocation talks could be Montreal’s gain

Old
10-27-2014, 10:33 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
Not a possibility till they commit to building a new stadium. Zero chance they move to Montreal if they have to play in that awful stadium indefinitely.

To me, baseball stadiums don't get built the same way arena leagues do. Awarding a team and a stadium announcement go hand-in-hand. Most relocations/expansions in baseball have happened knowing the stadium plan was in place and only 2 years in a bad stadium would be required. Surprisingly, MLB went into Tampa though knowing the stadium was a bad 80s design, with no real plan for a new one in place.

I think it says ALOT that Tampa even in its good years, could not parlay that into a new stadium. I mean, I'd be shocked if a stadium got built for this team now going forward, because they are going to be bad.

Old
10-27-2014, 10:33 AM
syc

I could see it happening. QC got public money for a hockey arena so why not give Montreal some money for a stadium.

Not like Quebec has any hospital/infrastructure problems to fix. Just ask Ottawa area hospitals what percentage of patients are from Quebec. lol

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 10:36 AM
TheTotalPackage

The Jets are back in Winnipeg. If the Expos end up back in Montreal and the Nordiques in Quebec, my life as a sporting fan will have come full circle.

I imagine Bell is salivating at the prospects of being affiliated with the potential other major league franchise in the country. The content it would fill for them...

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post

City of Montreal looking at 3 possible sites for a stadium. Montreal based Bell Media is said to be willing to invest in 'a studio' (ballpark) as TSN/RDS needs programming badly.

Old
10-27-2014, 10:41 AM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamos Rafa View Post
Would they still be in the AL? It'd be weird to have both of the Canadian teams in the American League.
Of course they would be, the AL East doesn't need a southern team nor does the NL East need a Canadian team.

wildthing202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Fenway

Quote:
The Rays in Montreal would have natural rivals in Boston, New York and Toronto which is something the Expos never had. The Yankees have lots of fans in upstate NY compared to the Mets who have very few. Red Sox fans in NH and VT would flock to Montreal as would Jays fans from Ontario.

Old
10-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Peter Skudra
Nucks fan since '02

vCash: 50
Quote:
Personally I think it would be great if the Expos came back to have them in the same division as the Blue Jays create an instant rivalry.

Peter Skudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Just too good to be true, but the possibility brought a tear to my eye... I played baseball during summers and the Expos leaving is one of my biggest heartbreakers ever. Them returning, and eventually the Nordiques returning would really speak volumes about how much we've come along in this province and country.

It would take me a while to get used to the new Expos, because I'm not at all familiar with modern baseball and modern players. I look back at the 90's Expos and 90's baseball with a lot of fondness, not really caring that they were all juiced up, if everyone's doing it, nobody's got an advantage!

Last edited by Phil Parent: 10-27-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
The Rays in Montreal would have natural rivals in Boston, New York and Toronto which is something the Expos never had. The Yankees have lots of fans in upstate NY compared to the Mets who have very few. Red Sox fans in NH and VT would flock to Montreal as would Jays fans from Ontario.
It would accentuate the town VS town rivalries that already exist for sure. Weird spot for Montreal fans, though, we'd be the big market in hockey, but the small one in baseball.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Just too good to be true, but the possibility brought a tear to my eye... I played baseball during summers and the Expos leaving is one of my biggest heartbreakers ever.
You will hear this song again in 18 months, or less. It is going to happen.

Old
10-27-2014, 11:04 AM
WaveRaven

vCash: 82
Meh can't stand AL baseball. So though I was a big Expos fan I'd pass on watching a AL team like I do thye Jays.

But hey for all BB fans in MTL that would like it good luck !

WaveRaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 11:05 AM
cutchemist42

I guess the main question is, does anyone seeing TB's prospects really improving? If they didnt get a stadium built in the past 15 years, what changes now? They have known since the mid 90s that Tropicana sucks.

Old
10-27-2014, 11:07 AM
Rocko604

Would like to see it. But a deal on a new stadium would have to be reached with the ground breaking being no later than the first pitch at the Big O.

Would MLB allow both Toronto and Montreal in the same division though? Or would we see the likes of Miami or Washington move to the AL East with the new Expos going to the NL?

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 11:10 AM
wildthing202

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I guess the main question is, does anyone seeing TB's prospects really improving? If they didnt get a stadium built in the past 15 years, what changes now? They have known since the mid 90s that Tropicana sucks.
After the Marlins stadium debacle I think their chances of getting a new stadium got worse rather than better over the year.

Old
10-27-2014, 11:15 AM
wildthing202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Would like to see it. But a deal on a new stadium would have to be reached with the ground breaking being no later than the first pitch at the Big O.

Would MLB allow both Toronto and Montreal in the same division though? Or would we see the likes of Miami or Washington move to the AL East with the new Expos going to the NL?
Washington is staying put. Their contending with Baltimore like the Mets are with the Yankees. Phillies and Braves are NL pure-breeds so it's an auto no go and the Red Sox and Yankees would probably fight tooth and nail to keep that joke of a franchise called the Marlins out of the AL East.