Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

The Prospect Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 10:29 PM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie the Blue View Post
Too lazy to look through the thread, but what do people think of Kolten Wong?

Think Marcus Giles type production 03-06. Surprising pop for a small guy, should steal more than Giles, agressive base runner. Getting better defensively at 2B from what I've read (haven't seen too much of him to be honest).

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie the Blue View Post
Too lazy to look through the thread, but what do people think of Kolten Wong?
Not much truth be told. I find him quite underwhelming.

Today Trout went 2-3 1 SB and a run scored.

#stillthebestprospectinbaseball

06-13-2011, 11:36 PM
darko

For those who follow college baseball, CWS starts on the 18th. North Carolina, Vandy, Florida, Texas (Bracket #1), South Carolina, California, Virginia, Texas A&M (Bracket #2) are in.

California made it instead of Rice (Rendon). No TCU (Matt Purke). No UCLA (Cole and Bauer). No Cal State Fullerton.

Go Vandy. I think Florida takes it though.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Mike Trout right now:

.330/.434/.565

8 HRs, 22 RBIs, 23 SB. 42 K and 33 BB. .982 OPS as a 19 y/o in AA.

#stillthebestprospectinbaseball

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:52 AM
darko

Speaking of hot prospects, Paul Goldschmidt 1B for Arizona's AA team. Been raking entire season. He's someone to keep an eye out for in deep fantasy leagues, shouldnt be long before he's up. Juan Miranda move aside.

54-21-59 in 233 ABs, 1.156 OPS

There aren't many guys in minors that offer more power than him. Not exactly an unknown, he hit 35 longballs last year but high strikeout totals had people skeptical whether he can succeed at the next level.

2010: 161:57 K:BB ratio (525 ABs)
2011: 46:53 (233 ABs)

Old
06-16-2011, 09:46 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Lesser known Braves' pitching prospect, 21 year old Randall Delgado, will get his first MLB start tomorrow, replacing Tommy Hanson (should tendinitis). It will be interesting to see how he measures up to Minor and Teheran.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:37 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
For those who follow college baseball, CWS starts on the 18th. North Carolina, Vandy, Florida, Texas (Bracket #1), South Carolina, California, Virginia, Texas A&M (Bracket #2) are in.

California made it instead of Rice (Rendon). No TCU (Matt Purke). No UCLA (Cole and Bauer). No Cal State Fullerton.

Go South Carolina. Make it two in a row.

Also, I didn't see any talk about Dustin Ackley, but he has been called up by Seattle. He will start at 2nd base tonight against Philly.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Cleary=Jerry Gergich

Dustin Ackley makes his debut today.

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Rays prospect Moore threw a no hitter i believe.

Both him and Miller are doing great at AA.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post

I'm also on the Vandy bandwagon because of Sonny Gray (A's 1st round pick).

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:56 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjge42 View Post
I'm also on the Vandy bandwagon because of Sonny Gray (A's 1st round pick).

Rough start for Gray, pretty wild and never made it out of 5th. Left with bases loaded and 2 outs but bullpen got him out of it.

4.2IP, 8 hits, 3 ER, 5 walks, 5 K

Vandy got the W, 7-3 in an opener. Vandy's Connr Harrell is the first player to go deep in the new stadium.

Texas v Florida up next. Taylor Jungmann (Brewers 1st rounder) v Hudson Randall.

Old
06-18-2011, 09:17 PM
darko

Florida beat Jungmann and Texas. 2 losers (Texas and North Carolina) play each other in an elimination game. Loser goes home while the winner gets to face the loser between Florida and Vandy.

Virginia v California and defending champs South Carolina v Texas A&M tommorow.

Texas, North Carolina and 2 more teams tommorow (losers) will have their work cut out. In last 30 years only 3 teams have lost CWS opener and went on to win the title. Last team to do it was South Carolina and that was last year.

Old
06-18-2011, 09:59 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

On top of their already great young rotation, the Rays have Alex Torres, Matt Moore and Chris Archer in the system. It's really looking good for years to come as far as starting pitching is concerned with the Rays.

I Am Beat You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
On top of their already great young rotation, the Rays have Alex Torres, Matt Moore and Chris Archer in the system. It's really looking good for years to come as far as starting pitching is concerned with the Rays.
You guys need some bats in the prospect pool. You guys had a good draft this year (if you put it into perspective with regards to financial balance). (Mahtook and Guerrieri are great picks at their position, especially if you consider that the latter has ace potential)

I do wonder how much longer a guy like Upton has on your team. With Jennings waiting in the wings, I could see you guys dealing Upton for a 1B with long term upside (someone stuck behind a proven star for example).

I expect your prospect pool to be churning out starters for the next while, but you guys need to get some serious bats in there. Especially ones who can hit for power.

Old
06-19-2011, 08:59 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Dodgers' draft pick Scott Wingo with a walkoff hit to win the game for South Carolina in the bottom of the 9th. South Carolina will face Virginia on Tuesday.

PHP Code:
6/20/2011 2:00 PM    
#3    North Carolina    
vs    #7    Texas    

6/20/2011 7:00 PM    
#2    Florida    
vs    #6    Vanderbilt    

6/21/2011 2:00 PM    
California    
vs    Texas A
&M    

/21/2011 7:00 PM    
#1    Virginia    
vs    #4    South Carolina 

Old
06-21-2011, 03:44 AM
darko

Goodbye Texas.

Weather permitting 1 of A&M or Cal will go home tommorow.

Old
06-21-2011, 07:57 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Moore can't be called up to Durham soon enough. The Bulls' rotation is a cluster - at least 3 members of the rotation are relievers who've been pressed into service as starters - Chris Bootcheck, Brian Baker, and Bullpen Gospels author and garfoose enthusiast Dirk Hayhurst. Although to be fair, Bootcheck and Hayhurst have been performing fairly well.

Last edited by garnetpalmetto: 06-21-2011 at 08:02 AM.
garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 01:33 AM
darko

Bracket #1

With Vandy losing today they'll play North Carolina next in an elimination game. The loser goes home while Florida awaits the winner.

Bracket #2

Texas A&M is done. #1 Virginia lost to South Carolina. Virginia now plays California in an elimination game. Loser goes home while South Carolina awaits the winner.

Old
06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
You guys need some bats in the prospect pool. You guys had a good draft this year (if you put it into perspective with regards to financial balance). (Mahtook and Guerrieri are great picks at their position, especially if you consider that the latter has ace potential)

I do wonder how much longer a guy like Upton has on your team. With Jennings waiting in the wings, I could see you guys dealing Upton for a 1B with long term upside (someone stuck behind a proven star for example).

I expect your prospect pool to be churning out starters for the next while, but you guys need to get some serious bats in there. Especially ones who can hit for power.
Agreed. I know Josh Sale can hit for power, but other than that I don't think we have too many promising power bats likely to reach the MLB level. Guyer is decent as well but I don't really consider him a power hitter. As for Upton, I would be extremely pleased if we could get a solid MLB-ready prospect in return. A 1B as you suggested would be nice, and although there are some questions about Jennings playing well in the majors, I think we can take that risk sooner rather than later. Trade Upton before he puts up another season where he bats under .240 and strikes out a couple hundred times.

That said, with the ridiculous amount of promising pitchers both on the team and in the system, I don't think we need to rely heavily on drafting for power. There are just so many players with value that likely won't get a chance with this team due to the amount of quality pitching prospects.

I'm not sure who would really be interested in dealing for Upton though.

Old
06-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Agreed. I know Josh Sale can hit for power, but other than that I don't think we have too many promising power bats likely to reach the MLB level. Guyer is decent as well but I don't really consider him a power hitter. As for Upton, I would be extremely pleased if we could get a solid MLB-ready prospect in return. A 1B as you suggested would be nice, and although there are some questions about Jennings playing well in the majors, I think we can take that risk sooner rather than later. Trade Upton before he puts up another season where he bats under .240 and strikes out a couple hundred times.

That said, with the ridiculous amount of promising pitchers both on the team and in the system, I don't think we need to rely heavily on drafting for power. There are just so many players with value that likely won't get a chance with this team due to the amount of quality pitching prospects.

I'm not sure who would really be interested in dealing for Upton though.
I'd be interested on who you have as your top-10 Rays prospects with some description.

I'd also hold onto pitching with a death grip in terms of young arms. When top pitching guys get 20 million a year(thanks free agency!) being able to have a constant stable of arms is super important imo.

What are your thoughts on James Shields? IIRC, he is on the last year of his deal.

Him + Upton could poasibly get something MLB ready i'd assume.

Sale imo is a fair few ywars away from MLB no? Id argue that your window is closely tied to Longo's contract.

Old
06-23-2011, 03:08 AM
darko

Justin O'Conner and Drew Vettleson are couple Rays hitters to keep an eye on. Both are in rookie ball though.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:56 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
I'd be interested on who you have as your top-10 Rays prospects with some description.

I'd also hold onto pitching with a death grip in terms of young arms. When top pitching guys get 20 million a year(thanks free agency!) being able to have a constant stable of arms is super important imo.

What are your thoughts on James Shields? IIRC, he is on the last year of his deal.

Him + Upton could poasibly get something MLB ready i'd assume.

Sale imo is a fair few ywars away from MLB no? Id argue that your window is closely tied to Longo's contract.
I believe Shields has a club option but I'm not sure. After this year, I think the Rays will want to keep him around, although he SHOULD be a prime candidate to be traded. However, he is well liked by his teammates and seems to really enjoy playing for the Rays, and since this organization is pretty big on loyalty to certain players and personnel I really couldn't say how long Shields would stick around. I would certainly be all for trading him and Upton for something nice, though.

As for the rest of our pitching, we could practically have 2 full MLB rotations in a few years (in terms of caliber, of course). Shields is our oldest pitcher at 29, and all I can really see is the upside for the rest of our rotation. Alex Cobb isn't quite in the same category as guys like Moore, Archer, Torres, Guerrieri etc. but he looked very good with the Rays in a few games this year and is destroying AAA. He's a guy that could find a full-time spot in the rotation as soon as next season. Alex Colome is another guy to keep an eye on.

I certainly don't want to lose top notch prospects like the ones I mentioned, but their progress (along with some other promising pitchers, plus our drafting) should make the guys who are further along expendable. Like you said, Shields is a possibility, but I think his solid year might actually strengthen his chances of staying despite building up his trade value. Still, I would say Shields, Niemann, and Davis could be dealt down the road to make room for MLB ready SP.

Here is a list of top prospects for the Rays, which I think is pretty decent. I don't agree with some of them such as McGee (Who I think we should be willing to deal) and Beckham, but for the most part I find this a solid list.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/...pects-for-2011

Old
06-24-2011, 11:13 AM
darko

Quote:
I believe Shields has a club option but I'm not sure.
Not 1 but 3 club options. He signed a 4 year contract (08, 09, 10, 11) with club options for 2012, 13 and 14.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3210698

Old
06-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

USC wins congrats FifthStaal

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:46 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Thanks ix.

Good luck to dfk's squad, if you read this.

I honestly think Florida is more talented and will win, but with USC you never know. Should be a great CWS.