HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Should We Beat Montreal?

Old
05-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Crossbar Ping

vCash: 500
How Should We Beat Montreal?

What should the coaches and players take out of the Wash and Pitt series, to help the Flyers advance to the Stanely Cup finals?

Raining shots obviously wont work. I think Pronger/Kimmo will play crucial roles.

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
By scoring more goals.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post
What should the coaches and players take out of the Wash and Pitt series, to help the Flyers advance to the Stanely Cup finals?

Raining shots obviously wont work. I think Pronger/Kimmo will play crucial roles.
I think right off the bat, our scoring depth can give Montreal match up problems. It will be interesting to see how the Flyers can maximize the last change advantage having home ice advantage now. I think we've had Montreal's number in some big games, especially the 07/08 series, even though we were dealing with different goalies on each team.

I'm also somewhat scared of Montreal's shooters. They seem to have found their touch and their passing is easily light years better than Boston's and New Jersey's. We've still found a way to get pinned in our zone often and if Montreal is able to do the same I think they'll be scoring with even more frequency.

The other piece is that Montreal has done so well in tight games all season long. It's like they were bread to be in this position. I can't believe the last time a team won as many 1 goal games and OT games as they did this year.

I'm going to say Flyers in 6.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Pax Macioretty

You can't.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Oilbender

3rd-4th liners only. No right handed shooters.

No taksie-backsies either. Street rules.

Oilbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:05 PM
cupfailure713

do what they did with rask and brodeur and get traffic to the net and make life miserable for halak.

cupfailure713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:06 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Defensive zone faceoffs is an area we need to improve on. Bett's shoulder isn't helping. We need some cross crease passes to neutralize Halak's rediculously great play. We need to: shutdown Cammalari,Crash the net, get pucks deep, aggressive forecheck, really agressive penalty kill, stay out of the box, clear rebounds, keep the bottom D pairing off the ice as much as possible.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:08 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

This is the last reported Montreal line-up from a GDT:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn vs. Gagne - Richards - Carcillo
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta vs. Hartnell - Briere - Leino
Darche - Moore - Lapierre vs. vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Asham
Moen - Metropoliut - Pyatt vs. Powe - Betts - Nodl

Hamrlik - Subban vs. Pronger - Carle
Gill - Gorges vs. Timonen - Coburn
Bergeron - O'Byrne vs. Parent - Krajicek

Halak vs. Leighton

Bold = winner
Italics = wash

Put all the pressure on them and create chaos in their zone. Get in Halak's face, and if at all possible, get into his head as soon as possible with some scoring. Giroux's line has to the difference in production between the teams this series.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Amateur Hour

Savagely.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:17 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Halak vs. Leighton

Bold = winner
Italics = wash
I would italisize the 3rd line but bold Giroux. Their 3rd line has been pretty effective. Other than that I agree. I'd also bold Lavvy and underline Camalleri and Halak.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:17 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I would italisize the 3rd line but bold Giroux. Their 3rd line has been pretty effective. Other than that I agree. I'd also bold Lavvy and underline Camalleri and Halak.
Alright. Yeah, the the way I did things makes it pretty hard to fully understand. I'll try again.

Halak vs. Leighton

Jacques Martin vs. Peter Laviolette

Bold = position winner
Italics = wash
Underline = difference maker

Broke it down by position.

Last edited by CS: 05-15-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old
05-15-2010, 03:20 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

We will **** and pillage their teams like we did with Jersey and Boston

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:31 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Sick Pronger on Cammy and Kimmo on Gionta. Chip pucks in behind their defense and get the cycle going, and get traffic in front of Halak.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:33 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:

Halak vs. Leighton

Bold = winner
Italics = wash
So, habs only have 3 players that are better.
Looks like flyers will win in 4 ... lol

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Gio View Post
Where's Spacek?

Darche, Pouliot and Metropolit barely play (2 min/game)
I took that off the last Montreal/Pittsburgh GDT I could find with the full lineup.

If you could kindly supply us with your lineup this would be made much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
So, habs only have 3 players that are better.
Looks like flyers will win in 4 ... lol
Who knows? The Flyers' defense has shown they can beat thin offenses based on two or three quality players.

That said, the only place where I could see Montreal having an advantage is in goaltending.

Montreal's defense is probably a wash against Pittsburgh and probably better than Washington's, but they haven't seen this good a defense in the postseason yet.

Old
05-15-2010, 03:41 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Who knows? The Flyers' defense has shown they can beat thin offenses based on two or three quality players.

That said, the only place where I could see Montreal having an advantage is in goaltending.

Montreal's defense is probably a wash against Pittsburgh and probably better than Washington's, but they haven't seen this good a defense in the postseason yet.
Right.

I get the impression you should be asking some knowledgeable posters on the habs board about certain players on our team. Despite what many think, if you ask respectfully you will get a respectful answer. And hopefully learn a few things about our guys that you might not be up to date with.

With this said, you guys certainly have a deep team and quality players, but I think you are underestimating some of the Hab players. Like I said, you should learn about the other teams players before you rate them... Unless of course, you prefer to believe what you want instead

Old
05-15-2010, 03:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Right.

I get the impression you should be asking some knowledgeable posters on the habs board about certain players on our team. Despite what many think, if you ask respectfully you will get a respectful answer. And hopefully learn a few things about our guys that you might not be up to date with.

With this said, you guys certainly have a deep team and quality players, but I think you are underestimating some of the Hab players. Like I said, you should learn about the other teams players before you rate them... Unless of course, you prefer to believe what you want instead
What's wrong with what I said?

How do you rate your team as opposed to ours. Why not offer an alternative instead of criticizing?

Honestly, when I look at the Canadiens I see a team with an alright offense that's gotten by thanks to the efforts of a few key forwards. Their defense has gotten practically run by two of the league's top offenses (Pittsburgh and Washington), but thanks to a stellar performance between the pipes, they're still involved this late. On top of that, their penalty killing has been spectacular thanks to a complete team effort.

Old
05-15-2010, 04:19 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:

How do you rate your team as opposed to ours. Why not offer an alternative instead of criticizing?
Because, I haven't been watching many Flyer games to really compare position to position.

Like I said, I get the impression that you are underestimating some of our players... But maybe in reality you guys are way better - hence why you claim that we only have 3 of 20 positions better than you guys.

As for the Habs players, Pouliot has been a complete fail this playoffs. He doesn't get top line minutes. Darche plays a couple of minutes, Metropolit has been limited as well.

Gomez and Gionta are probably a superior duo than Briere and Hartnell (or Briere and Leino). They have tons of chemistry. I'd prbly take Briere over Gomez (pretty close though) but definitely Gionta over Hartnel.... Leino, I hear great things but haven't seen him play enough to compare... But he is surely playing better than Pouliot.

Plekanec is our best all around player - and his numbers are lower than normal because he was taking on Backstrom and Crosby. I expect a bit more production from him now.

Kostitsyn has been turning the corner by playing more physical, but he still not producing... He scores in bunches, and historically plays well against the Flyers.

Cammy, I'm sure you've seen the highlights.

Moore is very underrated and very comparable to Giroux at the moment in his ability to possess the puck, great speed and shot. Horrible playmaker though it seems, unlike Giroux.

Moen is a big guy who is playing great - type of experienced cup champion that would fit very well in a Flyers uniform He does get top line duty, and I think I'd take him over any 4th liner you guys have.

Pyatt has the best speed on our team, and is a very very smart player which compensates for his size. Great on the PK.

Defensively, PK Subban is playing like a calder nominee for next season.

Josh Gorges is playing some of the best hockey I have ever seen by a d-man.

Gill is doing exactly what he did for the Penguins last year.

O'byrne is our most physical D-man.

Spacek has been great this playoffs in shutting down guys.

Hamrlik has been playing like crap.

Bergeron is good at one thing - shot from the point on the PP. Everything else, he is simply garbage. Prbly the worst D-man in history (which I find funny that you rate him better than your duo)

Old
05-15-2010, 04:22 PM
mypunkrock

If their fourth line has not been playing much, then they're in for a rude awakening when we can throw four full lines at them, even with Bettsy not being one hundred percent.

Seriously, if they only roll three lines, that is a huge advantage for us.

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
If their fourth line has not been playing much, then they're in for a rude awakening when we can throw four full lines at them, even with Bettsy not being one hundred percent.

Agreed our 4th line has been playing well and fore checking nicely

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 04:35 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Because, I haven't been watching many Flyer games to really compare position to position.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Like I said, I get the impression that you are underestimating some of our players... But maybe in reality you guys are way better - hence why you claim that we only have 3 of 20 positions better than you guys.
Well, you have a better bottom pairing defense and superior goaltending. Other than that I don't see anything better than what the Flyers have. There's a lot that's pretty equal offensively, but the Flyers are deeper.

Quote:
As for the Habs players, Pouliot has been a complete fail this playoffs. He doesn't get top line minutes. Darche plays a couple of minutes, Metropolit has been limited as well.

Gomez and Gionta are probably a superior duo than Briere and Hartnell (or Briere and Leino). They have tons of chemistry. I'd prbly take Briere over Gomez (pretty close though) but definitely Gionta over Hartnel.... Leino, I hear great things but haven't seen him play enough to compare... But he is surely playing better than Pouliot.
Briere and Leino have found some pretty crazy chemistry in the last couple of weeks. I'd take Briere over Gomez and Gionta over either Hartnell or Leino individually, however I don't think Pouliot is the answer at wing (or anyone else for that matter save Cammalleri) to lift them as better than the Briere line on paper.

Quote:
Plekanec is our best all around player - and his numbers are lower than normal because he was taking on Backstrom and Crosby. I expect a bit more production from him now.
If he's matched up with Richards or Giroux his job isn't going to get that much easier than Backstrom or Crosby. Richards may not be as gifted offensively as Crosby, but he's definitely got offensive talent, physicality, and he wasn't the Selke runner-up last year for no reason.

Quote:
Kostitsyn has been turning the corner by playing more physical, but he still not producing... He scores in bunches, and historically plays well against the Flyers.
Fair enough. We have a couple players like that who will score in bunches at times.

Quote:
Cammy, I'm sure you've seen the highlights.
Yep. Seen a couple of Montreal games as well. He's looked good.

Quote:
Moore is very underrated and very comparable to Giroux at the moment in his ability to possess the puck, great speed and shot. Horrible playmaker though it seems, unlike Giroux.
Giroux is outstanding. Moore is not the better player in any regard, and I feel very confident saying that.

Quote:
Moen is a big guy who is playing great - type of experienced cup champion that would fit very well in a Flyers uniform He does get top line duty, and I think I'd take him over any 4th liner you guys have.
I love Moen honestly, and I'd probably take Laperriere over him. Betts is close. We have a younger, less experienced, and somewhat less skilled version of Moen in Powe.

Quote:
Pyatt has the best speed on our team, and is a very very smart player which compensates for his size. Great on the PK.
Sounds like Betts. I don't know that much about Pyatt though.

Quote:
Defensively, PK Subban is playing like a calder nominee for next season.
It's not enough to put him over Pronger, Timonen, or even Coburn with the way he has been playing. They've been pretty much lights out. Carle is on and off.

Quote:
Josh Gorges is playing some of the best hockey I have ever seen by a d-man.
You probably haven't seen Pronger or Timonen then. Not trying to be smart or rude (sorry if I come off that way), but if Gorges is your best defenseman in this series it might become an issue.

Quote:
Gill is doing exactly what he did for the Penguins last year.
Hated playing Gill, which is a good sign for you guys.

Quote:
O'byrne is our most physical D-man.
Pronger is ours, but Coburn's been much more physical lately.

Quote:
Spacek has been great this playoffs in shutting down guys.
Sounds to me like your defense, which I thought was pretty underrated to begin with, is gelling right now and rallying somewhat for Halak. I was impressed by your defense in that last game against us during the regular season. Other than that...not so much. I think they're an underrated group in general, but I don't think they're anything above and beyond like our defense or the Bruins'.

Quote:
Hamrlik has been playing like crap.
That's Parent.

Quote:
Bergeron is good at one thing - shot from the point on the PP. Everything else, he is simply garbage. Prbly the worst D-man in history (which I find funny that you rate him better than your duo)
That'd be Krajicek.

Old
05-15-2010, 04:36 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
How do we beat Montreal?

Step 1: Do not take penalties. Do not take penalties. Do not take penalties. Do not take penalties. Do not take penalties. Do not take penalties. Do not take penalties. Do not take penalties. Do not take penalties. Do not take penalties. Do not take penalties. Do not take penalties.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 04:37 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post

Laviolette WILL role four lines. He's not afraid to send our fourth line out there against anyone.

Powe - Betts - Nodl may not be as dominating as Carcillo - Betts - Laperriere, but they're still pretty physical, fast, and defensively responsible.

Old
05-15-2010, 04:42 PM
mypunkrock

Also, I think it bears saying that Chara was held in check big time by our checking system and our depth wingers. I don't know much about the Canadiens defense, but I can say confidently that they will take a beating, courtesy of a few of our wingers.

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 04:43 PM
suprez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
I think right off the bat, our scoring depth can give Montreal match up problems. It will be interesting to see how the Flyers can maximize the last change advantage having home ice advantage now. I think we've had Montreal's number in some big games, especially the 07/08 series, even though we were dealing with different goalies on each team.

I'm also somewhat scared of Montreal's shooters. They seem to have found their touch and their passing is easily light years better than Boston's and New Jersey's. We've still found a way to get pinned in our zone often and if Montreal is able to do the same I think they'll be scoring with even more frequency.

The other piece is that Montreal has done so well in tight games all season long. It's like they were bread to be in this position. I can't believe the last time a team won as many 1 goal games and OT games as they did this year.

I'm going to say Flyers in 6.
Home advantage don't mean anything anymore.Flyers Proved it and Montreal also.

You can't compare Montreal with 07/08 .Price was Horrible and there's a lot of new player .It's a different team .

I think it's going to be a very fun series!Has a habs fan i don't know who's going to win . Both team have done the impossible so far and you got to respect both.
I love anyway montreal to be the undersog . It's worked so far.

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote