HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

How Should We Beat Montreal?

Old
05-16-2010, 03:28 AM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Let it go.

Even if I tried to reason with them, they wouldn't listen.

They're blinded by the light called Halak right now. No goalie is going to get to the Eastern Conference Finals without a team. Sure he could stand on his head for 8 wins, but that's virtually unheard of. Halak may be the strongest reason for the Canadiens' success, but that's not all that makes them tick right now.

Goaltending is still, now and forever, the least important position. Granted, a good goaltender can only help, but the teams determine the outcome.
I think you forgot the

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 03:32 AM
tinyzombies

Just a couple corrections:

Hamrlik WAS playing terrible, but before game 6 against the Pens he declared that he would play better and was amazing in the last two games and took up the slack for Markov (along with Spacek's return for game 7).

Spacek is underrated here as well. He almost singlehandedly stopped Ovechkin along with Gorges. And I'm not kidding. And then missed almost the entire Pittsburgh series due to illness, but returned for game 7 and was the best player on the ice.

And Montreal did not hold the fort in the neutral zone until game 6 against the Pens and then in game 7 the ice really tilted for Montreal thanks to average goaltending from Fleury. Before that, they were letting Was and Pitt enter the zone and set up on the perimeter and they were happy to oblige us because of their overconfidence.

I think Montreal will do the same thing and let the Flyers enter the zone and just keep them to the outside. That will take away the forecheck pressure and turnovers, though our D has been very good with the puck all in all. They will make the Flyers prove they can beat Halak first I assume before altering what they've been doing. That's why I was hoping for Boston, because their offense stinks. The Flyers are much more dangerous, even without Carter.

Montreal needs to agitate the Flyers and draw penalties. Philly has a lot of guys you can dupe into the box. But Montreal can also be guilty of lazy penalties. Both teams can score on the PP, but Montreal's PK has been phenomenal. Probably the key to their series wins.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-16-2010 at 03:49 AM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 04:53 AM
Lemons

Quote:
Fair enough.

Well, you have a better bottom pairing defense and superior goaltending. Other than that I don't see anything better than what the Flyers have. There's a lot that's pretty equal offensively, but the Flyers are deeper.

Briere and Leino have found some pretty crazy chemistry in the last couple of weeks. I'd take Briere over Gomez and Gionta over either Hartnell or Leino individually, however I don't think Pouliot is the answer at wing (or anyone else for that matter save Cammalleri) to lift them as better than the Briere line on paper.

If he's matched up with Richards or Giroux his job isn't going to get that much easier than Backstrom or Crosby. Richards may not be as gifted offensively as Crosby, but he's definitely got offensive talent, physicality, and he wasn't the Selke runner-up last year for no reason.

Fair enough. We have a couple players like that who will score in bunches at times.

Yep. Seen a couple of Montreal games as well. He's looked good.

Giroux is outstanding. Moore is not the better player in any regard, and I feel very confident saying that.

I love Moen honestly, and I'd probably take Laperriere over him. Betts is close. We have a younger, less experienced, and somewhat less skilled version of Moen in Powe.

Sounds like Betts. I don't know that much about Pyatt though.

It's not enough to put him over Pronger, Timonen, or even Coburn with the way he has been playing. They've been pretty much lights out. Carle is on and off.

You probably haven't seen Pronger or Timonen then. Not trying to be smart or rude (sorry if I come off that way), but if Gorges is your best defenseman in this series it might become an issue.

Hated playing Gill, which is a good sign for you guys.

Pronger is ours, but Coburn's been much more physical lately.

Sounds to me like your defense, which I thought was pretty underrated to begin with, is gelling right now and rallying somewhat for Halak. I was impressed by your defense in that last game against us during the regular season. Other than that...not so much. I think they're an underrated group in general, but I don't think they're anything above and beyond like our defense or the Bruins'.

That's Parent.

That'd be Krajicek.
this is epic lol

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 08:56 AM
captainpaxil

it aint often that were the bigger team and we need to emphasise that. montreal is a mirage reflected off the golden god that is halak right now. the down low cycle will be the determining factor in this series and it will be our ability to do so vs thier ability not to. we need to take advantage of our opportunities and punish them when they try and enter the zone.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 09:30 AM
DonnieBrasco

Quote:
Let it go.

Even if I tried to reason with them, they wouldn't listen.

They're blinded by the light called Halak right now. No goalie is going to get to the Eastern Conference Finals without a team. Sure he could stand on his head for 8 wins, but that's virtually unheard of. Halak may be the strongest reason for the Canadiens' success, but that's not all that makes them tick right now.

Goaltending is still, now and forever, the least important position. Granted, a good goaltender can only help, but the teams determine the outcome.
GREAT GOALTENDING= Halak( and Price if it comes to that ) + team sacrifice, grinding, blocking shots and scoring on every little chance you get >>>>>> Team toughness and average goaltending (that's ONE average goaltender) anyday IMO.

Flyers 7 Habs 3

Last edited by DonnieBrasco: 05-16-2010 at 09:37 AM.
DonnieBrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 09:54 AM
22Brad Park

I hope you guys get Carter back,thast a huge loss vs Montreal.Anyways ,i see keys as hammering their smaller skilled guys like ya did to Krecji,without that hit Bruins win that series i would imagine.Get guys like Cammy skate around and your asking for trouble.Stay disciplined too ,that mouthy never fight Lappy for habs will try to bug Pronger for sure.And major key is Flyers need steady goaltending,not great just steady.Take bad penalties and they will thrive.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:31 AM
LaurentHou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
Saying that the habs have an advantage in net because Halak Leighton is retarded. Halak is not facing Leighton. Halak is facing the Flyers offence and Leighton is facing the Habs offence. Who will win those duals?
Halak will win.

LaurentHou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:56 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieBrasco View Post
GREAT GOALTENDING= Halak( and Price if it comes to that ) + team sacrifice, grinding, blocking shots and scoring on every little chance you get >>>>>> Team toughness and average goaltending (that's ONE average goaltender) anyday IMO.
superior team offense + superior team defense + team sacrifice, grinding, blocking shots, and scoring every little change you get + average goaltending >>>>>>> elite goalie + team sacrifice, grinding, blocking shots, and TRYING to score on an elite defense

Skaters impact every aspect of the game. Every little thing they do right makes it that much easier for their own goalie. Plus they can produce scoring. Skaters are more important than goaltenders.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:33 AM
MojoJojo

Punish their O into turnovers.
Set up a forecheck, but stay responsible enough to frustrate their own offense.
Dont be afraid to rely on the PK.
Try to get bodies in close, screen the goalie, create traffic etc. The usual hot goalie stuff.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 01:33 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupfailure713 View Post
do what they did with rask and brodeur and get traffic to the net and make life miserable for halak.
im a leafs fan pulling for philly....amazing feat thus far so carry on boys....make halaks life a hell...i love richards....and he should play his "take no prisoners style on the impish scabs....pronger needs to get nasty like he is capable of...

here is hoping to a flyers sweep....that would be epic...fu#$ the habs

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 04:59 PM
mypunkrock

With their shoes.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 08:42 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Chase Halak.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 09:26 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

How should we beat Montreal?

The exact same way we did tonight.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Darch

Quote:
Their defense has gotten practically run by two of the league's top offenses (Pittsburgh and Washington), but thanks to a stellar performance between the pipes, they're still involved this late. On top of that, their penalty killing has been spectacular thanks to a complete team effort.
Actually, this is very far from what happened. The team defense was very strong. They allowed a ton of shots, but most from periphery. Very few rebounds, and Halak only had to stop the first shot most of the time. Forwards collapsing low, helping also. You have to understand that the Habs did this most of the time by being ahead in the score. When they are down, they are not half as dangerous, as their thin offence shows.

And as you said, they haven't faced a defence corp like the Flyers'. The secret is to scores first vs Habs. Then you force em to open up the box. Fall behind, and they go in D-mode. Fleury sank the Pens with soft early goals.

Habs are about capitalizing on their few opportunities and shutting the other team down afterwards. They are about working hard, not talent.

Darch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Mike2000z28

Being a flyers fan all my life and being down in philly for the series is awesome. However watching the game tonight i know montreal didn't have their legs at all. We need to regroup and put this win behind us and treat is as a hard win and not take them for granted. Don't get me wrong, we played awesome, but Montreal wasn't at its competitive best. I don't expect anymore games to be blowouts.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Just a couple corrections:

Hamrlik WAS playing terrible, but before game 6 against the Pens he declared that he would play better and was amazing in the last two games and took up the slack for Markov (along with Spacek's return for game 7).

Spacek is underrated here as well. He almost singlehandedly stopped Ovechkin along with Gorges. And I'm not kidding. And then missed almost the entire Pittsburgh series due to illness, but returned for game 7 and was the best player on the ice.

And Montreal did not hold the fort in the neutral zone until game 6 against the Pens and then in game 7 the ice really tilted for Montreal thanks to average goaltending from Fleury. Before that, they were letting Was and Pitt enter the zone and set up on the perimeter and they were happy to oblige us because of their overconfidence.

I think Montreal will do the same thing and let the Flyers enter the zone and just keep them to the outside. That will take away the forecheck pressure and turnovers, though our D has been very good with the puck all in all. They will make the Flyers prove they can beat Halak first I assume before altering what they've been doing. That's why I was hoping for Boston, because their offense stinks. The Flyers are much more dangerous, even without Carter.

Montreal needs to agitate the Flyers and draw penalties. Philly has a lot of guys you can dupe into the box. But Montreal can also be guilty of lazy penalties. Both teams can score on the PP, but Montreal's PK has been phenomenal. Probably the key to their series wins.
Wow, the exact opposite of everything you said happened in game 1.

Any predictions for game 2?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousepad View Post
Wishing for injuries? WTH is that? I hope your family dies from cancer.
If you don't like it, troll, the F off to your own circle jerk, er, board. Or go burn a police car or something stupid.

What's that whoosing sound I hear?

Oh, all the Hab fans pulling their window flags inside their cars tonight.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 10:57 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousepad View Post
Wishing for injuries? WTH is that? I hope your family dies from cancer.
GTFO you French Canadian *****

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:02 PM
decadentia

Simmer down. It's the internet.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 11:37 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
GTFO you French Canadian *****
Just as uncalled for as the comments you were responding to. Don't be a derogatory *****.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:02 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Just as uncalled for as the comments you were responding to. Don't be a derogatory *****.
Exactly. No need to bring ancestry into it. Just call him a Canadian ******.

Also, Lavi outcoached Martin badly. Montreal plays a pretty decent trap and the neutral zone was a highway for our players.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:29 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
After game one, what stood out the most to me was Halak just didn't live up to his earlier performances and the Habs were badly outcoached. The Habs seemed to really struggle with their breakout given the Flyers' forecheck.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:43 AM
captainpaxil

i think this one of those situations where the perception of the flyers is going to work in our favor. montreal kept trying to utilize their speed and found us matching them and i think that surprised them. just hope they keep telling themselves theyre faster then we are.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:46 PM
gintonic

The Flyers have the dirty/rough players that neither the Caps or the Pens have so they ought to use them to intimidate the Canadiens. Which actually they already did last night. They should easily be able to get by the Flyers playing that style. The problem will come when they meet the Blackhawks because they won't be able to pull that stuff on the Blackhawks.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote