HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

All-Time Dirty All-star team

Old
05-15-2010, 03:11 PM
jkrx

vCash: 500
All-Time Dirty All-star team

This is basically a sitting on the toilet idea (arent they the greatest?) but anyway.

The point is to put together an All-star team containing only dirty players BUT they must still be able to play on the line you assign them to. So no Averys or Carcillos on the first line as well as no Messiers on the fourth line. It should still be a competent team.

Heres my team:

Clarke - Messier - Howe
Lindsay - Linseman - C. Lemieux
Tucker - Dale Hunter - J. Lemieux
Schultz - Risebrough - Brown

Pronger - Shore
Pilon - Suter
Samuelsson - Marchment

Billy Smith
Ron Hextall

Coach: Keenan
Ass: Crawford and Ferguson

Revised team:

Clarke - Messier - Howe
Tucker - Dale Hunter - Tikkanen
Domi

Chelios - Shore
Pronger - Cleghorn
Suter - Marchment
Samuelsson

Billy Smith
Ron Hextall

To all people who wants a player on a roster spot please tell me why you want him there and who he should replace. Don't just say names.

Last edited by jkrx: 05-20-2010 at 07:20 PM.
jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Reds4Life

Add Cashman

B.Clarke is by far the biggest fook that ever stepped onto NHL ice, he should be the first line center.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 04:13 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
This is basically a sitting on the toilet idea (arent they the greatest?) but anyway.

The point is to put together an All-star team containing only dirty players BUT they must still be able to play on the line you assign them to. So no Averys or Carcillos on the first line as well as no Messiers on the fourth line. It should still be a competent team.

Heres my team:

Clarke - Messier - Howe

Pronger - Shore
Pilon - Suter
Samuelsson - Marchment

Billy Smith
Ron Hextall

???
Jocelyn Lemieux?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 04:35 PM
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
???
Jocelyn Lemieux?
That was my first reaction too.

There has to be room on the team for Sprague Cleghorn, clinically insane by my reckoning, and possibly Doug Harvey, who usually got more than even. Larry Zeidel and Howie Young also probably deserve to start ahead of some of the more recent folks on the blue line.

justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 04:42 PM
mco543

Tomas Sandstrom should be on here too, he's one of my favorite players ever but theres a reason Chelios bit him.

mco543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 04:42 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Matt Cooke anyone?

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I'd find a way to work Bert Olmstead onto the team. Heck, he was called "Dirty Bertie", and apparently loved the leg-whip so much that Doug Harvey told him to knock it off. When he did it again, Harvey speared him in the stomach badly enough that Olmstead required last rites.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:36 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Quote:

Heres my team:

Clarke - Messier - Howe

Pronger - Shore
Pilon - Suter
Samuelsson - Marchment

Billy Smith
Ron Hextall

Sprague Cleghorn called and he is going to kick your *** for not including him, lol.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:37 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'd find a way to work Bert Olmstead onto the team. Heck, he was called "Dirty Bertie", and apparently loved the leg-whip so much that Doug Harvey told him to knock it off. When he did it again, Harvey speared him in the stomach badly enough that Olmstead required last rites.
Having Dirty Bertie on the 3rd line doesn't make any sense, though.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:48 PM
pappyline

Quote:
I think you have your players mixed up. It was Red sullivan who was speared by Harvey

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
any team without Gary Roberts can not be serious.,,but honestly, he needs to be there.

Domi also comes to my mind, but not sure, if he was really that dirty...

Lemieuxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 05:57 PM
scribe114

Quote:
It was Red Sullivan of the Rangers was speared by Doug Harvey and ruptured his spleen. Bert Olmstead was Harvey's teamate for eight years.

Um, disregard.......pappyline passed that along.

scribe114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Chris Chelios anyone? Come on, any team without Chelios on it is not the all-time dirty team. I know we have to keep players in their normal roles, and Chelios should anchor the first pairing with Shore. There have been few players in history as dirty and as physically dominant as Chelios was during his prime. Pronger is a poor man's Chelios; he isn't as dirty and he's not as physically feared. If a defenseman can score over 70 points and win the Norris while racking up an obscene 282 PIM, he is something beyond physically intimidating.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Paris in Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan View Post
any team without Gary Roberts can not be serious.,,but honestly, he needs to be there.

Domi also comes to my mind, but not sure, if he was really that dirty...
Domi was more dirty than Tucker, but that may just be me.

Elbow on Neids should cement Domi there.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:14 PM
jkrx

Both Domi and Cleghorn were concidered. Roberts is a kitten compared to the top6 wingers sorry.

Domi was first on the 4th line but I decided Brown was a dirtier. Schultz is a no brainer. Tucker could get substituted for Cleghorn.

Chelios was dirty sure but I felt that Pronger was more of a "now Im gonan injure this guy"-player. But maybe Chelios would be a better choice.

Old
05-15-2010, 07:15 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco543 View Post
Tomas Sandstrom should be on here too, he's one of my favorite players ever but theres a reason Chelios bit him.
Where would you put him? He is a top6 guy and he wasnt as dirty as the guys I have there.

Old
05-15-2010, 07:31 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Quote:
Both Domi and Cleghorn were concidered. Roberts is a kitten compared to the top6 wingers sorry.

Domi was first on the 4th line but I decided Brown was a dirtier. Schultz is a no brainer. Tucker could get substituted for Cleghorn.

Chelios was dirty sure but I felt that Pronger was more of a "now Im gonan injure this guy"-player. But maybe Chelios would be a better choice.
Cleghorn was considered?

Who in the history of professional hockey has ever been as dirty or violent as Cleghorn?

He viciously and purposefully injured players. In an particularly violent age of the game he was the most violent of all. Hitting players in the head with his stick was practically common for him. With police action involved on more than one occasion.

In one series he injured four Senator players - Cy Denneny, Frank Nighbor, Tommy Gorman and Eddie Gerard, and the league made moves to try and ban him for life.

....oh....and he was a Hall of Fame talent.......

Any "Dirty All-Star Team" without him is pointless.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 07:51 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextune View Post
Cleghorn was considered?

Who in the history of professional hockey has ever been as dirty or violent as Cleghorn?

He viciously and purposefully injured players. In an particularly violent age of the game he was the most violent of all. Hitting players in the head with his stick was practically common for him. With police action involved on more than one occasion.

In one series he injured four Senator players - Cy Denneny, Frank Nighbor, Tommy Gorman and Eddie Gerard, and the league made moves to try and ban him for life.

....oh....and he was a Hall of Fame talent.......

Any "Dirty All-Star Team" without him is pointless.
Well I tried to not use people from pre-expansion as it was already such a violent era so you could just fill your team with them. But Lindsay and Shore were such remarkable players to ignore. I put Cleghorn instead of Tucker as I see he could take on a 3rd line roll.

Old
05-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Well I tried to not use people from pre-expansion as it was already such a violent era so you could just fill your team with them. But Lindsay and Shore were such remarkable players to ignore. I put Cleghorn instead of Tucker as I see he could take on a 3rd line roll.
Cleghorn is a defenseman.... and a very, very good one....

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 08:08 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Cleghorn is a defenseman.... and a very, very good one....
I dont know where my head is today... I know who cleghorn is...

Cleghorn got in instead of Suter.

Old
05-15-2010, 09:47 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Marty McSorley, Chris Simon, and Todd Bertuzzi are notably absent from the OP's team.

Guys like Derian Hatcher, Brad May, Shayne Corson, and Esa Tikkanen deserve some mention as well.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

McSorley and Bertuzzi? Neither was dirty enough to even come close to making this team. They are well-known for each having been involved in one extremely high-profile incident, but aside from that, they did not have careers that would be considered nearly dirty enough to make this team.

McSorley played a tough style and did often toe the line between dirty and questionable, but this team is not about the guys that toed that line. Otherwise Scott Stevens would be on it. Other than his stick-work on Brashear, he was really not an overly dirty player. Tough? Yes, he was one of the greatest heavyweights of all-time. But he was no dirtier than the average player of his era.

Todd Bertuzzi should be nowhere near this team.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 06:34 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
Marty McSorley, Chris Simon, and Todd Bertuzzi are notably absent from the OP's team.

Guys like Derian Hatcher, Brad May, Shayne Corson, and Esa Tikkanen deserve some mention as well.
Hatcher is a top4 defenseman but isnt skilled nor dirty enough to remove my top4.

May, Tikkanen and Shayne Corson has the same problems. Do you really think that May is dirtier than Schultz?

Old
05-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
I think you have your players mixed up. It was Red sullivan who was speared by Harvey
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe114 View Post
It was Red Sullivan of the Rangers was speared by Doug Harvey and ruptured his spleen. Bert Olmstead was Harvey's teamate for eight years.

Um, disregard.......pappyline passed that along.
This is what happens when I work off of memory. I think the story was that Sullivan kicked Olmstead's skates, and Harvey told Sullivan to knock it off. When Sullivan did it again, Harvey speared him.

I know the story is in one of the books littering my bookshelf, the floor, the bedroom, or the office....I just don't know where the book is.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Dreakmur

Get rid of all the no-skill goons and replace them with guys who can actually play.

Black Jack Stewart and Joe Hall on defense.

Tony Leswick, Mario Tremblay, Esa Tikkanen, Dave Trottier, and Cully Wilson up front.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote