HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > HFNHL Talk
HFNHL Talk HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the FHL simulator to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season.

Canucks sneak into third straight Conference Finals

Old
05-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Hossa

vCash: 500
Canucks sneak into third straight Conference Finals

It wasn't easy. It wasn't pretty. But the Canucks are back in the Conference Finals.

After taking a three to one series lead back home in Game 5, the Canucks played two lackadaisical games to let it get to a Game 7. Although the result was in their favour, by a final score of 3-2, it was hardly convincing.

The hero was Antoine Vermette, the mid-season acquisition who had struggled throughout the playoffs. He scored the Canucks' first and third goals, with the winner coming in a third period that looked all too familiar. The team has struggled in the third period of late, blowing a couple of leads, and after getting outshot 10-3 last night, the club is probably lucky the trend did not continue.

The win caps off a difficult series for the Canucks' top players. Evgeni Malkin and Eric Staal were generally invisible after seemingly hitting their production quota in game one with five points each. Martin Brodeur was inconsistent throughout the series, being pulled twice and prompting fans to call for Carey Price for game 7.

All of that is now behind them though, as they move on to face division rival Calgary. This is the third straight year the Canucks have made it to the final four in the HFNHL, both previous times losing in six to the eventual Cup champion.

In previous years though, the Canucks came in the obvious underdogs, but this year things are less clear. The Flames were predicted in the preseason to finish ahead of the Canucks, and at the midway point of the season it was true. In the second half things shifted, but after the first two rounds of the playoffs, it is hard to see a clear favourite.

One thing is for certain though. The Canucks won't win without their best players being their best players. For the better part of the series' versus the Stars, it was Kevin Bieksa and David Krejci who were leading the way for Vancouver, a fact that is evidently unsustainable.

Let the games begin.

Tim Hunter's Nose,
Vancouver Gazette

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 06:44 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Congrats to you, Sean, for setting what I believe is an unprecedented record of success in the HFNHL.

Will be interesting to see whether Matthew can shut down your big guns as effectively as he shut down my little guns...

And congratulations Zac for making a real splash in your first season. It sucks to lose, as I can attest, but you won more playoff games than either me or your old man, so that has to feel good!

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Brock

Congrats Sean, this means I'll at least get a few points in the second round of my pool...lol

Also, round of applause for Zac. You went out fighting.

Old
05-16-2010, 10:30 AM
MatthewFlames

Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Congrats Sean - really deserve to make it to the Conference Finals again - and Congrats to Zac for turning things around after that slump, guiding the team into the playoffs and then making it so far. Bring on the conference finals!

MatthewFlames is online now   Reply With Quote