HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Lindros Love

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2004, 11:50 AM
AGraveOne

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
Lindros Love

I was just reading another post and a Flyer fan made a comment about being glad Lindros left. It made me curious.

Do Flyers fans like Lindros or not like him?

My view of him was that he was a great player and gave it all on the ice. And he was quite the dominant force although the Devils could shut him down. I loved watching him play - to me - true hockey.

I never read the stories or heard the reports...but my impression was that Lindros was a likable guy, the team supported him...until the concussion stuff and all.

I felt too that he was not Captain material at a young age and that Clarke played some dumb games with him and his parents that set everything up for his departure...

Anyway, i'm sure this topic has been covered plenty, but i haven't seen it and i am curious how Flyers fans view Big E.

thanks for the responses...if there be any.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:00 PM
iceman42

I think what you'll find is by the time that he got to NY some of his baggage had dropped. I believe there were locker room incidents between teammates (maybe that was a missunderstanding), his parents were a problem very meddlesome, and while Clarke loved him in the beginning I think the problem his parents cause made Clarke start to hate him.

Heres my thought. Ultra-talented player, with the size, that only comes around so often. Yet like a lot of Can't miss talent that has come and gone he had other issues which didnt crop up until later, I think his parents were worse for his career than anything and if he had come in with less pressure and someone had told his parents to bugger off earlier he problably would still be in Orange and Black. I dont agree with giving 18-19 year old's the C.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:05 PM
Teezax

Personally as a player I loved him, he did a lot for our franchise. His parents just got in the way too much and F'd everythin up.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:08 PM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
His dad ruined him, that and his softie ice cream head.
He was the most unstoppable force for a few years there. Definately the best player in the league.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Cuiff

Former teammate, Keith Jones, never misses an opportunity to rip him........nuff said!

Old
05-13-2004, 12:12 PM
donelikedinner

when Eric played with passion for the game he was great. what ruined him for many fans was the circus of demands and posturing between Eric's parent the flyers management. if he had gotten an agent (not related to him) and bought into the flyers system, he might still be a flyer.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:17 PM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
when Eric played with passion for the game he was great. what ruined him for many fans was the circus of demands and posturing between Eric's parent the flyers management. if he had gotten an agent (not related to him) and bought into the flyers system, he might still be a flyer.
Exactly. Most, if not all, animosity directed toward Lindros by Flyers fans stems from the fact he was a grown man who let his parents run his life, even when it wasn't in his best interests and even when it caused problems between himself, his employer and his teammates. That kind of behavior is excusable for a 17-year-old, but not a 27-year-old.
Eric's talent and what he did on the ice will always be appreciated by Flyer fans. How he sometimes conducted himself off the ice, and how it eventually cost him dearly on the ice, is another story.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:49 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I liked Eric as a player.

he was a player that comes along every 10-12 years. before he hit his prime, he was the best player in the NHL. God only know how good he would have been had he not had all thoughs concussions.

ultimately, he cost the Flyers franchise alot because of the investment that they made in him. it's just a shame the way things ended up.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:58 PM
mercury

I appreciate him just for the fact that he was THE superstar professional sports figure in Philadelphia for his dominant period ('94-'98 or '99). Then AI took over the spotlight. Lots of people point out how much we gave up to get him (and admittedly, it was a ton), but on the other hand, the Flyers organization may not have made the monetary commitment to winning that has kept them in the playoffs the last decade. I will always admire his play. Like someone said on these boards a while back "He was Todd Bertuzzi times ten."

Old
05-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Brad*

When he was healthy and in his prime, he was the best player in the league, without question. However, the off ice issues between family and management created a pretty big rift, and the relationship (along with Eric's head) were damaged enough by that time that he had to go.

People like to poke fun at the original deal for Lindros, but the fact is he was the player in the trade before the injuries, and was the best player in the NHL. It's a shame how it all turned out.

Old
05-13-2004, 01:09 PM
capn89*

I liked Lindros when he was a Flyer, but as soon as he came back in the 2000 ECC series against the Devils I despised him... and even more so when he wouldn't play and became a rag.

Old
05-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I liked him personally. They shouldn't have made him captain, he is not captain material. I think he got screwed over by Clarke by putting so much pressure on him so early.

Old
05-13-2004, 01:19 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
Former teammate, Keith Jones, never misses an opportunity to rip him........nuff said!

Jonesy came in late. The crap already started well before he got here. Nuff said! Ask Leclair etc who was with him from day one. Leclair wanted to follow Lindros wherever he was going when they knew he wouldn't be back in Philly.

Old
05-13-2004, 01:23 PM
tytech

Alot of people miss the fact that Lindros captained the Canadian team that Clarke created for the 98 olympics. I don't care what type of force is out there you don't pick anyone over Gretzky. Just like Gretz won't pick anyone over Lemieux regardless of Lemieux's health. When that failed, and failed badly, there was a downward spiral for the lindros/clarke relationship. Clarke looked very foolish and I wouldn't doubt if it was Eric or his parents going in and demanding that he be captain. I actually remember clarke in later interview saying that Eric asked if he could be. Besides the Oates deal that was the most bone headed move of his time. Obviosuly never sat well.

Old
05-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Steve L*

Erics play was great, it was just a shame that his parents ruined him. They must be related to Dantons agent.

Old
05-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Erics play was great, it was just a shame that his parents ruined him. They must be related to Dantons agent.
nice

i liked lindros as a player but i never liked him as a person i always thaught he was a wuss but that might be because ive heard alot of people stereo type him like that

Old
05-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Coburnfan05

Persoanlly I think his talent was great, but as a person coupled with his familly and being the sole reason Brind'Amour was traded I can't stand him...In retrospect we would have been a hell of alot better off with Foresberg.

Last edited by Coburnfan05: 05-13-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old
05-13-2004, 02:57 PM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
I appreciate all the comments and can understand some bad sentiments with him and his parents. They were too demanding, i guess, because they had such an awesome commodity...

I got to watch him with the Rangers this year and just as it seemed he was turning a corner and playing with force...TAG...concussion on a very ordinary good hit. It is a shame - i can't wait to see a player dominate like he did again.

But i also think it will be difficult - it is much easier playing defense than offense these days which makes a big guy who can carry the puck a BIG TARGET for those big physical d-men. Well, really, any player that carries the puck much becomes a target.

I'm impressed with the amount of positive comments and few that just out and out hate the guy...i'm glad though too.

By the way, i liked Big E long before he became a ranger, in case you were wondering. I wanted the Flyers to get a cup back then. A mixture of defensive gaffs and the NJ shutdown made it not so...which increased my hate for NJ and Scott Stevens.

anyway...thanks again.

Old
05-13-2004, 02:58 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Persoanlly I his talent was great, but as a person coupled with his familly and being the sole reason Brind'Amour was traded I can't stand him...In retrospect we would have been a hell of alot better off with Foresberg.

...and Ricci and Hauffman and Hextall and duschesne and Forsberg (mentionned) and two first-round draft choices and $15 million. Hmm did we make a mistake perhaps?

Old
05-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Eric was a gifted player. No doubt about that. He was a physical force, he had great hands, etc.
But he was an a$$hole outside the rink, especially towards the French Candians. I remember many stories about him and Martin Lapointe, back at their junior days with Team Canada. One day, Martin nearly crushed him outside the lockerroom because he was so upset by Eric's bad commentaries towards him and the other "Frogs"....I remember also a story about Eric emptying his glass of beer on the head of a woman in a bar, just because she put him in his place. A classless act...

Too sad because he was a really great player to see on the ice!

Old
05-13-2004, 03:12 PM
iceman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGraveOne
I got to watch him with the Rangers this year and just as it seemed he was turning a corner and playing with force...TAG...concussion on a very ordinary good hit. It is a shame - i can't wait to see a player dominate like he did again.
Yeah I noticed that as well, but let me say that was just the beginning of the corner and just a fraction of what he was before. So what you saw was a glimpse of his skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGraveOne
But i also think it will be difficult - it is much easier playing defense than offense these days which makes a big guy who can carry the puck a BIG TARGET for those big physical d-men. Well, really, any player that carries the puck much becomes a target.
He always had that problem with his head down, my wife would always yell, "why are you telling him to keep his head up?" then two minutes later WHAM "ohhhh I see" someone can correct me if I'm wrong but most of those concussion hits he never saw coming, he never protected himself.

Old
05-13-2004, 03:13 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
Jonesy came in late. The crap already started well before he got here. Nuff said!
What are you talking about? What is with your "nuff said" remark?

The fact that Keith Jones, Big E's former roommate and one of the nicest guys there is, would hold such bad feelings toward Eric is proof enough for me of how the players on the Flyers disliked him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
Ask Leclair etc who was with him from day one. Leclair wanted to follow Lindros wherever he was going when they knew he wouldn't be back in Philly.
Maybe Big John wanted to follow Eric around like a puppy dog because he knew he would be nothing without him. (Partial joke)

Last edited by Cuiff: 05-13-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old
05-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
Eric was a gifted player. No doubt about that. He was a physical force, he had great hands, etc.
But he was an a$$hole outside the rink, especially towards the French Candians. I remember many stories about him and Martin Lapointe, back at their junior days with Team Canada. One day, Martin nearly crushed him outside the lockerroom because he was so upset by Eric's bad commentaries towards him and the other "Frogs"....I remember also a story about Eric emptying his glass of beer on the head of a woman in a bar, just because she put him in his place. A classless act...

Its just another example of the way he was bought up, his parents thought he was better than everyone else so its hardly surprising he treated others with less respect.

Old
05-13-2004, 03:33 PM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
I remember also a story about Eric emptying his glass of beer on the head of a woman in a bar, just because she put him in his place. A classless act...

an ex friend of mine ran in the same social circles as Eric when the beer incident happened. apparently the girl was all over him with insults and taunts. it was quite a display and he took it all in. she was asked by the group around him to leave and she she refused and dared him to do something about it. i guess thats when he gave her a beer. it would seem to me that she got what she deserved. if i remember, charges were dropped, so it would seem the girl in question was the problem that day, not Eric.

i could be wrong about it all, it was a long time ago.

Old
05-13-2004, 03:36 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
an ex friend of mine ran in the same social circles as Eric when the beer incident happened. apparently the girl was all over him with insults and taunts. it was quite a display and he took it all in. she was asked by the group around him to leave and she she refused and dared him to do something about it. i guess thats when he gave her a beer. it would seem to me that she got what she deserved. if i remember, charges were dropped, so it would seem the girl in question was the problem that day, not Eric.

i could be wrong about it all, it was a long time ago.
I heard that version as well. I always wondered which version was the truth.

Closed Thread