HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Horrible game 1 we will get back on game 2

Old
05-17-2010, 10:19 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Pouliot-Moore-Sergei next game please.

Obyrne In, MAB OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
yea, like that will ever happen

but I do agree!!!!

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Karpeqc

I think they will play 7 at defence next games. no choice.
I still don't understand the decision to not play Obyrne.
For me it's a no brainer.

Karpeqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:39 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalsix View Post
As per habsinsideout..

Certainly no fun for Patrick V. Hickey, who had a worse night than the Canadiens.

The Gazette's intrepid beat man parked his Honda Civic – 564,000 km and purring like a kitten – at the Wachovia Center.

Because the car has Quebec plates, Flyers' fans slashed the tires – and stole the plate!

Two Canadian TV trucks were vandalized as well.

And Marc-Antoine Godin of La Presse Tweets: "2 PHI fans yelled at TV guy 'go back home, you f@#$#& French-Canadian!' One had Briere jersey, the other a Gagné"

****ing animals need to be taught a lesson! I hope we crush their dreams in the next 4 games. Go Habs Go, I believe!
Talk about ignorant ******** ! They won their two Cups BECAUSE they have a French Canadian in nets: Bernard Parent.

And now this...

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:24 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Nope. Olivier on his blog, where he's kept track of scoring chances all year, scores the game 13-16 in favor of the Flyers, with the Habs holding a 10-9 edge at even strength in the end. The fourth goal was the chance that made the count 9-9.

Eyes lie. In lopsided games, eyes lie a lot. People see the final score and instantly forget that the Habs outplayed the Flyers in the first period, for example.

But don't take my word for it. Have a look at the shot chart here:
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nhl/gamecast?gameId=300516015

Does it seem to you that the Flyers took a huge number of shots in the slot and the crease and the Habs did not? Nope, it was actually fairly even. But the Flyers buried theirs and the Habs didn't. (Don't go look at this stuff for the Washington and Pittsburgh series. It could break a lot of myths about Martin's "tight defensive system" -- such as the notion that it works.)

What annoys me is that this is a lot like 2007-2008. The Flyers score, the Habs don't, the Flyers don't carry the play, but the media still make ridiculous stories about physicality and close-in shots and going to the net. Reality painted a different picture then. After the Habs gutted and lucked their way to this conference final while letting two of the league's most talented offensive clubs bombard them, it would be annoying (but highly ironic) if they were to lose this series in the same manner they lost their last one.
Sorry man, but the blog and stats are completely misleading.

The Habs had no mojo last night, it was blatantly clear right from the get-go that things were not going well. We picked up momentum towards the end of the 1st period, and that's about all. The Flyers had the extra jump, and were able to gain zone with much more conviction, for the entire night.

If you can't see this than I suggest you watch the game over again.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Capitano

I thought our first period was very tentative, but we weren't dominated. It was fairly even in the first period though.

We'll be better game 2.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
As per habsinsideout..

Certainly no fun for Patrick V. Hickey, who had a worse night than the Canadiens.

The Gazette's intrepid beat man parked his Honda Civic – 564,000 km and purring like a kitten – at the Wachovia Center.

Because the car has Quebec plates, Flyers' fans slashed the tires – and stole the plate!

And Marc-Antoine Godin of La Presse Tweets: "2 PHI fans yelled at TV guy 'go back home, you f@#$#& French-Canadian!' One had Briere jersey, the other a Gagné"

****ing animals need to be taught a lesson! I hope we crush their dreams in the next 4 games. Go Habs Go, I believe!
What a surprise

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
leighton sucks
19-5-2
2.31 GAA
.929 SV%

Says maybe we shouldn't underestimate him.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:11 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Sorry man, but the blog and stats are completely misleading.

"Objective facts are misleading, and my subjective observations are correct."

Yeah, um, y'know what, I'll stick to the facts. Fans have a way of getting invested in their teams and letting that color their perceptions. And then the media makes up their own interpretation and that colors perceptions too.

The scorer at Copper&Blue, an Oilers blog of all things, saw it the same way. No emotional investment or trying to make the Habs look good here: http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/5/17...diens-0-game-1

And if you'd rather hear from someone closer to the issue: there's a reason why to a man the Flyers said that they needed to be better in the first and that an early bounce in Montreal favor could have led to an entirely different game.

Last edited by MathMan: 05-17-2010 at 01:18 PM.
MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:57 PM
slovakfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
We didn't only get outshot but outchance aswell. Please, like Martin really want the other team to shoot more. The first round against the Caps was all Halak.

You're talking like Halak shouldn't get any credits and Martin should get it all. Christ, the reason why we won 8 games so far is all Halak and being opportunist.
^this

others, get real...

slovakfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 01:58 PM
slovakfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
I have a very disturbed theory.

I'm not implying that we lost on purpose or something like that but hey, our game plan has always been kind of ''letting the others attack, defend and wait for our chance to counter-attack''. I felt that at 4-0, instead of setting out for the next game, we just tried low-probabilty individual plays.

I seriously think that the Flyers have no idea how we could beat them, and its kinda well....positive.

slovakfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Namso

Quote:
As per habsinsideout..

stupid fans everywhere. good to know its not only some montrealers who act like ******** after hockey games

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 02:59 PM
usernam

so is war declared?

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:07 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

"Objective facts are misleading, and my subjective observations are correct."

Yeah, um, y'know what, I'll stick to the facts. Fans have a way of getting invested in their teams and letting that color their perceptions. And then the media makes up their own interpretation and that colors perceptions too.

The scorer at Copper&Blue, an Oilers blog of all things, saw it the same way. No emotional investment or trying to make the Habs look good here: http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/5/17...diens-0-game-1

And if you'd rather hear from someone closer to the issue: there's a reason why to a man the Flyers said that they needed to be better in the first and that an early bounce in Montreal favor could have led to an entirely different game.
I know you live and die by the stat, but I suggest you take a step back and maybe find a balance between stat blogs and your own observations.

The players looked flat and hungover all night. Even when they were blessed with opportunities, shots were weak and easy to save. Did Leighton have a challenging night?

It looked like men against boys and the players admitted to that.

If you want to think the game was more even than the score, than go ahead ... maybe that conveniently fits into your whole notion that size doesn't matter at all.

Last edited by coolasprICE: 05-17-2010 at 03:17 PM.
coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 03:14 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I know you live and die by the stat, but I suggest you take a step back and maybe find a balance between stat blogs and your own observations.
If the stats don't match my observations, I rethink my observations -- especially if I write my observations after the game. There's a very good chance my bias has led me to believe something that didn't actually happen. There's a lot of revisionist history in after-the-fact thoughts on games, often series, too. It can be interesting to read the papers after game three of a series, then check the post-mortems and see how well they match up.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 07:25 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
so is war declared?
No. The battle is on the ice.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 07:46 PM
headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
It's always good to get a wake up call every now and then....the earlier the better.
Agree 100%. This is how the Habs have to look at it.

headliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Marcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
This blowout may be a blessing in disguise.

It's a huge wake-up call for the team to work doubly hard to get back "in the groove" -- when you were used to play every other day and then, all of a sudden, you got a 3 days break, you lose a bit of that fight, hunger and emotion. This butt-kicking may bring all these things back. Also, this is a message that the Flyers will eat them alive if they are not prepared to give their all in this series.

Also, it will shut the Cup talking bandwagonners up for a while.
Very well said !

Marcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:58 PM
andy28

Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. Or a wake up call. But what remains to be seen is whether or not the wake up call is for the coach and the players (something they can adapt to right now) or if it ends up being a wake up call for the GM with regards to our physicality issues and our offseason decisions for the next few years.

Old
05-17-2010, 10:23 PM
habtastic

We beat them 1-0 in the last reg season game so it's not a forgone conclusion that we cannot have magic against the flyers. We certainly can. We need to peak and they need to slump. Doesn't look like the forecast, but hey, expect...

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 10:29 PM
De Montreal
help

I really wish Markov was still around

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 11:06 PM
andy28

IMO the Habs first step to getting back in this thing is mindset. Some may disagree. I know confidence is important, but I think it has to be a reserved confidence. IMO the Habs have to look at Philadelphia and say here is another dragon. They have to assume this is a much better team, even the most feirce opponent they have faced yet, and respect them. They have to assume the position that we are the weaker team. And then they have to find ways to play smarter. They have to keep their composure. And try to do little things right shift by shift, game by game. They have to create ways to slay another dragon. Assume the position of weakness and make that your strength. And to believe that a weaker team can find ways to beat a better team. Philadelphia has a good lineup. Great defense. And well spread out talent. Lots of physicality to boot. They were predicted to do well at the beginning of the season, and we have to assume that maybe now we are meeting the real No. 1 seed, whether that is true or not. In essence, the Habs have to accept that their goal after performing too huge upsets is to perform the biggest one yet, and they have to figure out how do we do that.

Last edited by andy28: 05-17-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old
05-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Stradale

I think the fanbase i hate the most in the NHL is the Flyers'. I hate the Bruins and Leafs fanbase but its the rivalry but the Flyers are just clueless, arrogant and aggressive. I've seen a lot of reports about Flyers fan attacking other people just because they cheer for another team.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote